Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Legion readthrough update: I've hit Threeboot! Even with fifteen years left to go (I think it's five proper series and a ton of small spin offs, plus *ugh* Countdown), this really feels like an "almost there" moment.

Abnett and Lanning were better than I expected and I enjoyed their run a lot even with some clunky bits. I much preferred Sensor as a giant snake with robot arms instead of sexy snake lady. There were an awful lot of overwhelming but not really well defined threats in the series, too. I am surprised it took this long to bring a different immortal villain than Darkseid into a Legion story.

IIRC, Abnett and Lanning went straight from this to Annihilation, too, and their Legion run feels like a pre-amble to that.

Gail Simone's aborted run reads like it's by someone who thinks Cyclops has eye lasers. I'm only half joking there, sadly. There's a lot of basic things that are wrong with continuity and actions of the characters in her four issues. It would sound like nitpicks, but there's a lot of them and it kept throwing me off. "I thought that was Chameleon Boy since he's the only Durlan who looks like that, but that's not his name. So who is that character?" [Four pages of confusion later.] "Oh, it actually is Chameleon Boy." A lot of "Their powers don't work that way," and "That's not how that story occurred and it was only a year ago that it was published," and "This is completely contradiction the plot elements that were established five pages ago." Also, this cover:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

Re reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning and I remember thinking how awesome Bagley draws Spiderman but I never realised how he draws the same face for almost every character, especially the female characters in the book. One of the reasons this is standing out for me is because they all kind of have the same face as my friend's wife.

I was experiencing this pretty hard when I read through thunderbolts last year and every face was not only the same within the book but also the same as what I saw in usm lol it's like steve dillon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I just found out that there's a random issue of Green Lantern back in the 70's or something where a kid gets blown up by explosive decompression(back when people thought that was what happened to a person exposed to the vacuum of space and that it only takes seconds to happen for some reason) and not only is that just grotesque and unnecessary they even depict it on the cover

It's the biggest Why that a comic has gotten out of me in a long time and considering how stupid comics can get that is really saying something

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Is anyone here a patron of Ed Piskor? I'm interested in Red Room, but have some issues with realistic depictions of cranial trauma (PTSD). I'm wondering if reading it will trigger a meltdown, or if it's something I'd enjoy. I've always been a fan of horror movies and enjoyed Piskor's other work, but something like the first episode that netflix deathsexrobot cartoon or whatever had a scene where a head was crushed, and it took me a few days to chill out after that. If the art is as cartoony as the bits I've seen so far, and in line with the style of the cover art, I should be fine. And if there aren't any realistic looking skull injuries, I'd be cool with that too. If anyone who has seen what's been completed of Red Room so far could spoil that aspect of it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been working through the Batman: No Man's Land complete collection for the first time in over a decade, and so far it has been pretty uneven in its high and low points but overall is still enjoyable.

I do wish Frank Teran would have been the artist for more of the series though. His rough and grimy style fits the tone of the storyline better than most of the other artists involved.

I appreciate how he draws Batman like a burnt out meth addict instead of the rippling muscled god which seemed to be the standard in the 90's. It really conveys the idea that Gotham has become a hell hole and and everyone still stuck there is broken and rundown as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vakal posted:

I've been working through the Batman: No Man's Land complete collection for the first time in over a decade, and so far it has been pretty uneven in its high and low points but overall is still enjoyable.

I do wish Frank Teran would have been the artist for more of the series though. His rough and grimy style fits the tone of the storyline better than most of the other artists involved.

I appreciate how he draws Batman like a burnt out meth addict instead of the rippling muscled god which seemed to be the standard in the 90's. It really conveys the idea that Gotham has become a hell hole and and everyone still stuck there is broken and rundown as well.

:agreed: Frank Teran's Batman is legendary. I love the busted up bottom row of teeth especially.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

B33rChiller posted:

Is anyone here a patron of Ed Piskor? I'm interested in Red Room, but have some issues with realistic depictions of cranial trauma (PTSD). I'm wondering if reading it will trigger a meltdown, or if it's something I'd enjoy. I've always been a fan of horror movies and enjoyed Piskor's other work, but something like the first episode that netflix deathsexrobot cartoon or whatever had a scene where a head was crushed, and it took me a few days to chill out after that. If the art is as cartoony as the bits I've seen so far, and in line with the style of the cover art, I should be fine. And if there aren't any realistic looking skull injuries, I'd be cool with that too. If anyone who has seen what's been completed of Red Room so far could spoil that aspect of it for me, I'd appreciate it.

I am.

Like it’s art, and the style isn’t realistic but rather cartoony... but it’s pretty graphic. It’s in line with the cover images though.

He has some flip through videos if you’re willing to risk it to see if you want to buy. They’re pretty representative of the work as a whole.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I am.

Like it’s art, and the style isn’t realistic but rather cartoony... but it’s pretty graphic. It’s in line with the cover images though.

He has some flip through videos if you’re willing to risk it to see if you want to buy. They’re pretty representative of the work as a whole.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to think about it for a while, and check some more of the vids. Are the flip through videos you speak of on the cartoonist kayfabe channel, or on his patreon?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't watched it, but they put up this 15 minute flip through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtB8KOHoPI

There's a few other videos 1-2 hours long, seemingly real time inking.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How is REBELS as someone who finished Legion 89+ in the past 6 months?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hadji murad posted:

How is REBELS as someone who finished Legion 89+ in the past 6 months?

It finishes up the storyline that L.E.G.I.O.N. ended on but it's not especially satisfying. It feels badly rushed and jumps around.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Maybe I’ll give that a pass. Think I’ve cleaned up most of the Legion stuff I could find digitally. Think the only thing I have left now is the second Legion Lost but the word Nicieza is scaring me off.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Uthor posted:

I haven't watched it, but they put up this 15 minute flip through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtB8KOHoPI

There's a few other videos 1-2 hours long, seemingly real time inking.

Thanks for that. Looks good. The style is cartoony enough that it doesn't trick my lizard brain into mistaking it for reality, or reminding it of real world nasty stuff.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
I nabbed Batman Damned on a recommendation here. DC got a Universe unlimited out of it.
I like being able to get it on my Apple TV too.
I didn’t realize DC black label had so many titles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They've backported a bunch of their mature readers stuff into Black Label.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I know new Sandman poo poo is Black label, has the old stuff been rebranded too? Preacher?

Anything written by Gaiman is pretty good, aside from one lovely arc he loving lucked out in terms of artists.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It feels like Black Label is "anything that would have been Vertigo plus Superhero" stuff. I am curious of the vertigo reprints are also under the Black Label imprint.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Azz's Lex Luthor and Joker are both Black Label, kind of like how Saga of Swamp Thing gets listed as a Vertigo comic even though it predates the imprint.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does anybody else ever have trouble with the Comixology Android app? I can no longer get it to load the list of My Books on Android. Instead it just spins forever, in spite of reboots, force closes, logout-and-back-ins, and uninstall-and-reinstall.

The weird thing is that it's like this on multiple Android devices but I don't have any problems on iOS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pulled up just fine on my phone (Pixel 2) just now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Uthor posted:

Pulled up just fine on my phone (Pixel 2) just now.

I mean, this has been going on for me for several weeks; so it's definitely not just a service outage. I almost wonder if it's possible to get your profile corrupted on their end or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...upon further examination and testing, the problem actually appears to be that my own home network is blocking the traffic for some reason, which explains why I have this problem with both Audible and Comixology (both Amazon services).

I have no idea why my router hates these services, but swapping to use OpenDNS instead of Google DNS seems to make it work "not very well" instead of "not at all."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I hate this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Annoying thing about DCUI is how there's a lot on there but there are still some gaps. Like they have the first vampire Batman comic but not the sequels. Also you can filter by some of the imprints but not all of them. Like you can just see Vertigo books but not Wildstorm.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Thunderbolts was turned into a government black-ops team before Warren Ellis.
I'm not actually sure they were ever a "black-ops" team, from the Busiek/Nicieza Hawkeye-led team to the Civil War era team, they were frequently set up kind of like the Suicide Squad (supervillains working off their debt to society) but from what I remember it was always relatively public and above-board, even if some (not all) of the characters may not have been sincere about reforming.

Mark Millar introduced a "new" non-Zemo related Thunderbolts in Civil War #5 that was more explicitly Suicide Squad (unrepentant villains like Bullseye and Mac Gargan being coerced into missions by a nanotech/bomb implant) which dovetailed into and predated the Warren Ellis run by about eight weeks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/KirbyKrackleArt/status/1357470058784710656

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

muscles like this! posted:

Annoying thing about DCUI is how there's a lot on there but there are still some gaps. Like they have the first vampire Batman comic but not the sequels. Also you can filter by some of the imprints but not all of them. Like you can just see Vertigo books but not Wildstorm.

Yes, there are some gaps even then, and some of the Constantine books are really screwed up

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Continuing my Legion readthrough. Yeah, it's been a while but when you hit a big milestone you go off and read something else for a while like a couple volumes of Judge Dredd case files.

Threeboot is a perfect example of how to reboot a property. Mark Waid's previous Legion reboot felt like it was just a change to wipe the slate and clean up some stuff (like the enormous lack of minority representation) while still being recognizably Legion. Threeboot was all about kicking over everything and reimagining the Legion as youth uprising was brilliant. And oddly resonant with recent politics. Okay, Waid wasn't really the best guy to handle it; the concept is good but he's not punk enough and so it has a tendency to slide into some comfortable positions. On the other hand, a lot of the existing characters are spun in a way that makes them more interesting for stories. That was actually one of the strengths of the previous Legion too; they have a lot of "we used the one sentence description of the character as a starting point and did something completely different". And they managed to avoid the Ultimate Universe problem of just telling the same stories again. So thumbs up for the first fifteen issues.

And then Supergirl shows up.

I remember even at the time that Supergirl was becoming a real Poochie in the DC Universe and holy gently caress is it annoying that the book has now stopped and everything is about her and how great she is. God, it's almost making me look forward to Geoff Johns deciding that Legion needs to be all white people again and he'll just write his own Legion in books even though there's a Legion book with a different group already being published.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Speaking of Supergirl, wasn't she a Peter David pet that he basically renamed and used as a different character?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speaking of Supergirl, wasn't she a Peter David pet that he basically renamed and used as a different character?

You're getting a little confused. Peter David wrote a pretty solid Supergirl series that started from the telepathic shapeshifter post-Crisis Supergirl but quickly morphed into its own quasi-mystical thing (and by quickly, I mean issue one). He wound up tying it into his own creator owned comic with permission, but later on had to file some serial numbers off with the creator owned book. I don't think I'd really call her a pet in this context because it was done to keep his own book's storyline going rather than focusing on her.

Then another Supergirl showed up. But nobody talks about her because she lasted about eight months and nobody cared.

Then another another Supergirl showed up in Jeph Loeb's Batman/Superman book and even though all of these Supergirls were in continuity, she was the first one that anybody met. She was super special and great and perfect and whenever she wasn't in the comic people would ask, "Where's Supergirl?" She was shoehorned in everywhere that Jeph Loeb touched and I'd definitely call her a pet character. She's the one who wound up in Legion after Infinite Crisis.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She was the first real post Crisis Kara Zor-El. It was a big deal at the time because DC had been pretty strict about Superman being the last survivor of Krypton, so there was a lot of weird versions of Supergirl, Krypto, and Zod.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She's the one who won't wear pants, right.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

She's the one who won't wear pants, right.

None of us are in these COVID times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I remember her characterisation being really inconsistent as well. She pops up in... the Terra miniseries that spun into Conner and Palmiotti's Power Girl, I believe and she's basically a 20-something burnout getting drunk with a lovely boyfriend.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Thanks for clearing that up for me--my main understanding of her was in the Return of Superman where she's working with Lex Luthor and can shape shift I guess. I just recalled her having a weird history.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
well im just rude and ignorant here

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Khanstant posted:

Is there a reason the current Marvel event has everyone in really crappy looking power rangers juggernaut suits and not hero-themed iron-man suits?

There is no current Marvel event that I know of. If you're referring to Mech Strike that's a series by a poster in this very forum and it actually is about heroes in hero themed mech suits built by Iron Man. Also the first issue was quite good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry, friend had been texting me a little bit of it and described it as a crossover event thing, which I mistook as a "big event across different books" thing, and the way he described made it sound like a weird version of the Dark Metal Universe thing DC had a while back. I reckon that ain't it either at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's just a self contained mini with mechas

If you want iron man armors didn't Aaron do that in the beginning ish of his avengers run