Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SDCCC: Sickness, Disease, Covid, and Comics Cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Khanstant posted:

Is there a reason the current Marvel event has everyone in really crappy looking power rangers juggernaut suits and not hero-themed iron-man suits?

There is no current Marvel event that I know of. If you're referring to Mech Strike that's a series by a poster in this very forum and it actually is about heroes in hero themed mech suits built by Iron Man. Also the first issue was quite good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

King in Black is mostly symbiotes and I’m enjoying it so far. I also enjoyed the first Thunderbolts crossover issue too. I’ve largely enjoyed most of the marvel stuff I’ve sampled since I started collecting again. DC on the other hand...

Future Slate is exactly the kind of thing I would normally love, but it's just not very good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Canon only matters in the sense that it's good to know what parts of the history of the character inform the current incarnation. Imagine coming back to DC during New 52 and seeing Superman and Wonder Woman in a relationship and Lois was never in the picture at all. Now imagine someone that only came into DC during that period and only knew that coming back to DC this year and Superman/Wonder Woman was never a thing and now Superman has always been married to Lois and has a teenage son. Super loving confusing either way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

If you wanna get really esoteric, in X-Men #1 he's the only one not excited about there finally being a girl in their previously all boys school.

Of course it's also a school that previously had only 4 students.

I believe that's more a product of either the simplistic "Eww girls are gross" mindset they probably thought the target audience of the book had or a backwards "Ugh a dame? Really?" mindset prevalent in those times. Maybe a bit of both.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh for sure, Bobby being gay absolutely has roots in both the books and in fan theory circles way before Bendis actually did it. I just can't see how anyone would think it goes back to that first issue of X-Men. I mean you can reframe that with hindsight but it was definitely not even in the realm of being subtext at that time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

I suppose an honest encomium on Tom Tenney could be cool.

If you unleash this hell it will be your legacy. Is that what you want?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

here is a comic from 2008, about a time-traveler, mentioning 2012's superstorm sandy :tinfoil:

The best thing though is when you find out at the end of the issue that he's definitely not trained for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He was in a religious cult. Not only that he was the messiah of the religious cult.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What are you doing this Thanksgiving?

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1375991865204383746

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Random Stranger posted:

I am pro-launching any building where he resides into space.

I mean, so is Richards probably.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped reading Invincible somewhere around issue 70 I believe and I think I'll eventually pick it back up. I didn't dislike it, I just kind of lost track of it. The gore is a bit off putting at times but it's not a total dealbreaker to me. I did finish Tech Jacket and Astounding Wolf-Man and I think both of those are way better books though and I'm sad they never hit the same level of success as Invincible or Walking Dead. That being said the best thing I've ever read by Kirkman was easily Super Dinosaur. I loved that book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

These are the kinds of things I thought might be in the future of Valiant with some of the gimmicks Dinesh started pulling before he left. Everything I’ve heard about Bad Idea makes me glad he wasn’t pulling the same things with Valiant. The books aren’t as great now as they were of course but at least I don’t have to jump through hoops to buy them.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 9, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

This seems like a good way to have nobody buy your comic.

Well, the company isn't called Good Idea.

This is all over a comic called Pizza Detective.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Valiant/Dinesh did something similar with some Legends of the Geomancer limited series where you had to redeem proof of purchases from issues of Book of Death, there was a limited print run of the issue in question, and no other way to read it (no trade, no digital). I asked one of their reps at a con about help finding copies - no dice.

Great sales model! :thunkgun:

Yes this is the exact thing that scared me at the time. I never mentioned this as I didn't want to bring it up at the time but I even spoke to Dinesh about it on a Twitter DM and told him my thoughts on it. My biggest problem was it not appearing in the hardcover for Book of Death as I explained to him I bought every issue digitally and every hardcover that comes out. He told me he appreciated the feedback and even said if I sent him my address back he'd send me copies of the issues for free. I never got them, but I don't hold that against him. He's a busy dude and I wasn't looking for free comics when I contacted him. I was just bummed that I wasn't going to get the complete story in the hardcover. But that one thing had me very worried about similar stunts being pulled in the future.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If ever there was a company that picked the right name. I suppose now they're just going to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Welling looks like a Chuck Liddell cosplayer

What are you talking about? Welling would never wear a costume.