Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's Winter 2021, not Fall 2020. Shoot the poo poo here instead of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1349553898172928002?s=21

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Are gruesome murders and decapitations still cool?

Yes, of course. This is fine for mainline DC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy who reads animes complaining about comics being silly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

There is no current Marvel event that I know of.
King in Black is currently going on but if anyone here is reading the main miniseries, no one seems to really be talking about it. Plenty of chat about its tie-ins, though. So I have no idea if they're wearing "really crappy looking power rangers juggernaut suits" in there. I suppose it wouldn't shock me!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I originally quit reading back when Final Crisis started and I’m beyond lost when I try to read anything from DC. I know they’ve done a few reboots since then but I have no clue what stories and characters are considered canon anymore. Plus I was hoping they’d have backed away from the edgy hyper-violence but they seemed to have embraced it even further.

Honestly who cares if it's canon? A good story is a good story regardless of whether it "counts."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure there's plenty of things you can read in to if you want, but unlike some other characters in X-Books, I don't think any writers intended for Iceman to be queer in any way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

My favourite/most frustrating part of this is the Flash storyline where a bunch of rogues meet, discuss a vague big evil plan, then a few issues later we hear that the big evil plan went wrong. Wanna know what that big evil plan was and how it went wrong? Read Flash. This kind of plotting was done repeatedly.

The thing is that this is very intentional. Countdown being 52 "done right" was intended as the "backbone" of the DCU at the time of publishing, so you'd get bits and pieces of stories that vaguely tied into the not particularly interesting main plot, but if you actually wanted to read that story, you were expected to go pick up Flash or Teen Titans or whatever. Of course, this doesn't even work in practice, since there's definitely parts where for the timeline to make any sort of sense you'd have to read like half of a story from the previous week, pick up Countdown, then finish that story, then this week's Countdown.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Fantastic Four #9: an excellent issue overall, the Fantastic Four going broke because of the Stock Market and then going to Hollywood to regain their fortune is a wonderfully silly premise and there's some great moments of both action and character building in this one, only negative is an awkward section where the Human Torch fights against an African Tribe that has not aged well one iota
Well yeah, none of them got the power of diamond hands

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Planet Money did an episode about trying to buy Doorman from Marvel. Also has an interview with Alex Segura of Archie.

https://overcast.fm/+YsPQDOUAI

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your friend and mine Chap "Chip Zdarsky" Zdoosky, along with friends Moderator "David Brothers" Hermanos, Deb Aoki, and Chris Butcher have a new podcast where they read anime called "Mangasplaining". The first episode is in Akira and the second on "Delicious in Dungeon". Catch it in places where you listen to podcasts I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of, I've been reading his Maestro miniseries, and it's been good so far but "quite PAD" is definitely how I'd describe it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marines is just cops with bigger guns, and what gun is bigger than the one that can do anything you want?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

The rebooted R.E.B.E.L.S. turned out to be a fine space opera, but it had the problem that there was a huge cast and Vril Dox sucks up all of the oxygen in the room. Effectively nobody except Dox gets to take action or get characterization. There's a lot of "Oh yeah, I guess that character is here too," going on in the book. There is a lot of people going, "Wow, that Dox sure is a magnificent bastard!" The story is fun enough to carry the book, but if it was going to be the Vril Dox show then I'd rather it narrowed the focus a bit.

There, I've fulfilled the requirements of the thread title. :v:

ITT Vril Doxes himself

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not going to a comic convention, that's for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I got Bone from Amazon cause IST didn't have it. And I've been trying to get Slaughterhouse-Five the last two times to no avail.

I remember in the past (maybe 10+ ago) they would charge your card when you placed the order and I've had them take my money, try and fail to get a book for weeks, send what they did have with a note saying they will send me the missing book when they can. I had to specifically ask them for my money back for the book they didn't send me.

I think that's what got me to stop using them for a few years.

If you're okay paying full price, the Vonnegut Library website has Slaughterhouse-Five in stock.

Congrats on the house How Wonderful! I cannot afford to buy here, so now I am waiting to see what post-pandemic telework is like and may end up moving to Baltimore which I'm not particularly in to, but at least I can afford a house there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The movie's a solid adaptation, but it adds basically nothing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Edit: Or Tom King.
:negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

be in Terre Haute
A fate worse than death

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I had honestly no idea that there was a fourth member of the Beastie Boys or that it was Rick Rubin who pushed her out before I read Hip Hop Family Tree.

Yeah the Beasties have largely memoryholed that John Berry and particularly Kate Schellenbach were ever in the band. It's pretty lovely tbh. Adrock wasn't even in the original lineup!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IUG posted:

They wrote about them in their autobiography book that came out a few years ago. No idea if that Apple TV series also brought them up.
I don't think Berry was mentioned at all, and Schellenbach is very minimally mentioned. I'll have to finally get around to reading the book. It's been sitting on my shelf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blast0rama posted:

Hey, should we make a new one of these as it’s Spring? Or revise the title? Just a thought…

:justpost:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fractured my collar bone last night. This sucks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

poo poo, what happened?

Fell off a rental scooter. The good news is they just sent me home with a sling, so it's going to suck for a bit, but it could certainly have been worse.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, I mean the Lime.

In my defense it was because I made the very poor decision to ride it home from a bar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Do people ride those otherwise?

Sometimes I ride them to the bar. It's faster than walking and cheaper than an Uber. I assume people disparaging this don't live in actual cities.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like people just leaving the rental scooters everywhere is just as much a danger for people tripping over them.

I am a good scooter user and put them in tree boxes or near curbs out of the way of where people normally walk. But yeah, there are definitely assholes that will drop them just wherever. My city has replaced some street parking spots with scooter/bike parking areas in more popular neighborhoods to try to alleviate this some.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe the writer has a really good idea for a story that can be told in four issues and that's it? It's weird that you're writing something off before the first issue has even been published.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today marks a special day in my collar bone recovery. I can put on and take off a danged t-shirt. No more button-downs for me unless I want to!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

Congrats! Why not celebrate with this little number?

No way. I would never wear anything that reserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

Counterpoint: Final Crisis is good. The Mary Marvel part is icky, tho.

Wait, "Real Heathcliff" isn't photoshoped???

No. It says it right there. It's real Heathcliff.