Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Congrats on finally reaching the main game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fun fact I was dead certain I didn’t want this LP thread to start until I had the whole cabaret minigame recorded, so I did that within months of the game’s PC launch, before Judgment was released and probably before I started recording for 0.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I wish we could recruit Nugget again. They'd be perfect for a cabaret bar.

If we can, please don't tell me and let it be a surprise.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And here's the hostess chats with Koyuki.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't unsee Buono's lovely glowing flower crown

Kiryu probably doesn't read the crumpled, bloodstained letters that Majima stuffs in his mailbox, but he might have heard a little bit about Yuki from Gorogorogoro-chan's radio postcards back in the day

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We've got Karaoke in this video, so you can watch the Cut versions for SFX-free music!

Hwurmp posted:

Kiryu probably doesn't read the crumpled, bloodstained letters that Majima stuffs in his mailbox, but he might have heard a little bit about Yuki from Gorogorogoro-chan's radio postcards back in the day

I have to assume Kiryu just tuned out of that radio show the moment he heard the postcard wasn't from Judgment Kazzy, but I do vaguely remember seeing Gorogorogoro's postcards when you submit a bad Kiryu story and vice versa!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I assume the phrase you were unfamiliar with was "to have one by the short and curlies"? It's relatively common.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

In fact the Kien Dagger is the Demonfire Blade - it's true that if you asked someone what 'kien' meant in Japanese they'd probably say the same thing you came up with but in Japanese Yakuza 2 the item is written as 鬼炎, demon+blaze, and apparently pronouncing that kien is sufficiently obvious that the Japanese person whose let's play video I was watching only hesitated a little over it.

None of this explains why they didn't just translate it as Demonfire Blade the first time, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Polsy posted:

In fact the Kien Dagger is the Demonfire Blade - it's true that if you asked someone what 'kien' meant in Japanese they'd probably say the same thing you came up with but in Japanese Yakuza 2 the item is written as 鬼炎, demon+blaze, and apparently pronouncing that kien is sufficiently obvious that the Japanese person whose let's play video I was watching only hesitated a little over it.

None of this explains why they didn't just translate it as Demonfire Blade the first time, though.

I've seen a handful of examples of the original localization team not going the full mile and fully localizing the text, I guess? This just seems like another example of that. Either that, or they left it as-is because they interpreted "Kien" as a proper noun?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Komaki was by far the hardest fight in my playthrough, such that I put it off for several chapters since I kept getting my rear end kicked. I probably could have done it sooner if I'd just been less aggressive, but no items and no heat make you about as weak as you'll ever be.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I have a huge complaint about the Oil Barons- they all look the same. Sure it's easy to believe the game Oil Baron is some young ex-soldier from Africa with more money than sense, or maybe a rapper of some kind, but it's hard to believe we're fleecing the same guy again and again. Give him a random appearance- the game standard one time, a Russian mobster the next, then an Arab sheik, or maybe even JR Ewing from Dallas. Of course they could also be from China, Japan, or even oil-rich Indonesia. It would be way more believable and fun to see diverse Oil Barons.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 2, 2021

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

achtungnight posted:

I have a huge complaint about the Oil Barons- they all look the same. Sure it's easy to believe the game Oil Baron is some young ex-soldier from Africa with more money than sense, or maybe a rapper of some kind, but it's hard to believe we're fleecing the same guy again and again. Give him a random appearance- the game standard one time, a Russian mobster the next, then an Arab sheik, or maybe even JR Ewing from Dallas. Of course they could also be from China, Japan, or even oil-rich Indonesia. It would be way more believable and fun to see diverse Oil Barons.

i get and agree with your point that having more oil barons would be fun, but uh

having your two examples of a rich black man be "ex-soldier from africa" and "rapper" is a pretty yikes

like, black people are also allowed to run oil empires, dude

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry, sometimes my background (East Texan WASP) gets me spouting bad stereotypes. Yeah, it would be cool to see other black people in the Oil Baron position too. I'm not going to think up more examples for obvious reasons.

The rapper was a joke my girlfriend at the time I first played the game thought up when she saw the Oil Baron. She asked "Who's that black guy who keeps visiting your club and spending so much?" I explained the Oil Baron game mechanic and she said, "I bet he's a rapper. 'The Oil Baron' would be a great name for one of those and they like to spend money on places like your club." I said she might be right. I then thought up a more elaborate creative background (my opinion) for the character- he was from some African oil rich country and spending money in the wrong place. Or the right place, given it was helping Kiryu.

For the record, I agree that black people- and people of any other skin color or other discriminatory factor- are allowed to do anything within their ability and desire. Including run oil empires. Or call themselves 'The Oil Baron' if that's what they want to do, even if in fact they do something else. If you assume otherwise about me, I am not the only one whose ignorance should concern you.

Personally, given the amount of money the Oil Baron throws around in the game, I wonder about his ability to maintain his oil empire given all his side activities. Maybe he has a very good accountant working for him who handles that.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also I forgot to upload Kana's hostess chats and substory so here's that video.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, the substory that made this game notorious. ;)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FEENEEK SMESH

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

:allears: Majima is never less than the best.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hR6vLGwipY

the English version is an official trailer so it might be slightly spoilers

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 12, 2021

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Majima Construction is a place I'd genuinely enjoy applying to work for, if only for the sheer insanity.

Not sure how long I'd last, but drat if it wouldn't be worth telling stories about.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was very impressed by all of the translation / subtitling done for the various grunts that constitute a large part of this game's script.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
When did Majima get mind bullets?

Because that's clearly the only explanation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And here's AIKA's hostess chats.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That last sidequest chain is pretty nice.
Lots of mutual respect going on, instead of the usual faceless thugs deciding to pick a fight with Kiryu because he happened to be in the general area.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
But what better reason is there to pick a fight with Kiryu?

At least that's what Majima told me once. :)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, but at least Majima picks a fight with Kiryu. The faceless mooks pick a fight with 'some dude' and then piss themselves when they learn he's Kiryu after getting their asses beat.

There's an important distinction.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And here's the other videos from Gandhara.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
At least put a bandaid on, dude. Holy poo poo.

Just casually talking to people with a bullet in his leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This game inspired me to learn about the long history of war and other social conflict between Japan and Korea. While I hope there aren’t any real people hiding secret grudges as long as the Jingweon, I wouldn’t be surprised either.