Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you sad and/or angry Flash is gone?
Yes
No
This arouses no special feelings in me OP
Goku
View Results

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Flunky posted:

RIP flash tub

Flash tub has been on youtube for a number of years

Hehehehe remember when youtube ran on flash :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eig
Oct 16, 2008

naem posted:

same lol

luckily i learned it in MIDDLE SCHOOL when it was still Macromedia and just did what i wanted and didn't really make senior portfolio pieces.. . . my classmates are still salty tho lol

Still p great 2012 is literally the year it died too thanks NPR for reminding me of this!!!
https://www.npr.org/2021/01/04/953314603/rip-flash-player-adobe-ends-support-of-pioneering-web-animation-technology

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Long live the new flash

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Brian Blessed has been notified.

ded posted:

flash was never good

:wrong:

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 13, 2021

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
flash was never good

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
what do i do to not get infected

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
nm my bud helped me out

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bula Vinaka posted:

It's a real rear end in a top hat move from Adobe to timebomb their code. It is up to the individual user to decide whether or not code will run on their machines, not anyone else.

It's been a known security hole for a decade that's never been adequately fixed to prevent exploits. Discontinuing the software and deactivating it from existing computers is keeping the average person safe. If you'd paid money for flash you might have a point, but it was a free product.

If you wanna run flash, rather than installing an old version I'd recommend making a windows VM and installing in inside the VM. Windows includes that for free, you can use windows sandbox or a full persistent VM at zero cost. Install the most recent version and just set the date back to 2019 so it runs.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: I have six years of Flash development experience that was always worthless, but now it's OFFICIALLY worthless.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Fun fact: I have six years of Flash development experience that was always worthless, but now it's OFFICIALLY worthless.

Did you make any funny videos?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Homestarrunner.com still going strong. The system... is not down.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cubone posted:

it looks some obscure streaming channel ("gaming garbage" :rolleyes:) has been uploading bootleg copies to youtube

the channel owner, lowtax "the taxman" richards, doesn't appear to have any connection to something awful
maybe jeffrey should consider firing off a cease & desist?

well at least eric bauman taught someone something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Animal-Mother posted:

Homestarrunner.com still going strong. The system... is not down.

Now *there’s* a song from the sixties

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
How am I going to play Abobo's Big Adventure now?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Is the space jam website ok??

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Flash, ahaaa, savior of the universe!

https://youtu.be/LfmrHTdXgK4

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
You can no longer do anything, anything at all, at zombo.com

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bula Vinaka posted:

You can still run flash 32.0.0.363. That was the last version that isn't timebombed.

If anyone needs it, here is a zippyshare link with ActiveX, Mozilla, Pepper (Chromium), the standalone player, and the uninstaller. You need to use the uninstaller if you have a version of Flash installed later than 32.0.0.363.

https://www18.zippyshare.com/v/Unm7FVCK/file.html

When installing, make sure to select the option to "Never check for updates."

Standalone player should be fine, browser versions will of course only work in browsers that support them, for example Chromium will eventually get updated to not allow the Pepper version of Flash to run any more.

If you have saved SWF flash games, movies, animations, etc., you should still be able to play them in the standalone Flash player.

There are "enterprise" configurations of Flash for versions past 32.0.0.363 that will work, but it uses an "allow" list that has to have URLs included for allowing Flash player to work on just those URLs, and there is no way to configure the allow list with a "*" wildcard or something like that to "allow all." So the best way to continue to use Flash (if you need or want it) is version 32.0.0.363 combined with a browser that supports it, or the standalone player for offline / saved SWF files.

Here's a nice site to test if it's working :cool:

http://fishmech.net/fyadhaus/grandmas/pie/factory/

thanks for this

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know someone whose debit card got eaten by their ATM this morning. Turns out the ATM was running on Flash, and as of today that bank's ATMs are freaking out and holding onto people's cards, like the stupidest version of Y2K.

lol

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

YOOOOOOOUU FUCKERR

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Flannelette posted:

Did you make any funny videos?

Nah. I started off making video games for the web, lemme see here... ahh, here's Shield Defense, my first (and arguably most successful) foray. After that, I worked on mobile apps for kids. We did them in Adobe AIR for the first few years, despite me saying "please anything but Flash" when we started. We eventually moved to Unity, thank gently caress.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zXuCJg1pwM

Vakal
May 11, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

YOOOOOOOUU FUCKERR

What does it say about me that the first thing that came to my mind when it was announced that Kobe Bryant died was a near 20 year old flash cartoon about a cigarette smoking cat?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Vakal posted:

What does it say about me that the first thing that came to my mind when it was announced that Kobe Bryant died was a near 20 year old flash cartoon about a cigarette smoking cat?

Great, now I'm watching the entire series again. It has aged...bizarrely well so far?

Also christ I do not miss early 2000's audio-quality.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nuQ5o2DYU

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know someone whose debit card got eaten by their ATM this morning. Turns out the ATM was running on Flash, and as of today that bank's ATMs are freaking out and holding onto people's cards, like the stupidest version of Y2K.

This would be the fault of the FI. It's been known for a while, and at least officially communicated to the FIs since October. All the Flash files need to be converted to MP4s and the latest vendor software update loaded. I would guess the terminal is a Diebold. NCRs should be blank where the animation would be, not crash the terminal.

I guess I could feel bad for these people; how much marketing and sales bullshit do you get from vendors, and how do you differentiate from legitimate communications?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
Why would the name on the door be legible from the inside? Completely takes me out of the immersive experience.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

wankel13b posted:

This would be the fault of the FI. It's been known for a while, and at least officially communicated to the FIs since October. All the Flash files need to be converted to MP4s and the latest vendor software update loaded. I would guess the terminal is a Diebold. NCRs should be blank where the animation would be, not crash the terminal.

I guess I could feel bad for these people; how much marketing and sales bullshit do you get from vendors, and how do you differentiate from legitimate communications?

what?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Crosspostin' from SHSC:

So work is deploying SAS VIYA later this year, but in the meantime we rely on SAS VA, which relies on Flash.

As a stopgap, we are using the Harman browser, which is a browser package provided by a Samsung subsidiary that provides a Flash-enabled browser that is supported beyond Flash's end-of-life. It's a little basic, but it works.

...except for an interesting wrinkle. The length of a URL that you can paste into the browser's address bar is limited by the physical width of the address bar.

As in; if the length of the URL as represented on one continuous line of text is greater than the width of the address bar on the screen, any text beyond it will be cut off.

If the line of text is about two monitors wide and the browser is fullscreen, you'll get about half of the url. If you resize the browser horizontally to take up half of a screen then you'll get about a quarter of the url. If you have a side-by-side dual monitor setup and stretch the browser across both screens, you can then paste in the whole URL.

A direct link to a SAS VA report can have a VERY lengthy URL.

It's poorly designed in such a amazingly specific way. :allears:

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I think you can still use Flash? It just won't get updates. No one is uninstalling it from your computer.

Actually, if you're using IE11 ActiveX / Legacy Edge, Microsoft have a patch (KB4577586) that will uninstall Flash from your computer. You have to go out of your way to install the patch for now, but I believe it's going to be in either this month's or next months updates for general distribution (I assume it will hit consumers at the same time as WSUS).

Bill Gates posted:

Applying this update will remove Adobe Flash Player from your Windows device.
After this update has been applied, this update cannot be uninstalled.
This update only removes Adobe Flash Player that was installed by your version of Windows. If you installed Adobe Flash Player manually from another source, it will not be removed.

This update is currently not available in Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). It will be made available in early 2021.

Detail here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4577586/update-for-removal-of-adobe-flash-player.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

You can no longer do anything, anything at all, at zombo.com
Wanna bet?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Breetai posted:

Crosspostin' from SHSC:

So work is deploying SAS VIYA later this year, but in the meantime we rely on SAS VA, which relies on Flash.

As a stopgap, we are using the Harman browser, which is a browser package provided by a Samsung subsidiary that provides a Flash-enabled browser that is supported beyond Flash's end-of-life. It's a little basic, but it works.

...except for an interesting wrinkle. The length of a URL that you can paste into the browser's address bar is limited by the physical width of the address bar.

As in; if the length of the URL as represented on one continuous line of text is greater than the width of the address bar on the screen, any text beyond it will be cut off.

If the line of text is about two monitors wide and the browser is fullscreen, you'll get about half of the url. If you resize the browser horizontally to take up half of a screen then you'll get about a quarter of the url. If you have a side-by-side dual monitor setup and stretch the browser across both screens, you can then paste in the whole URL.

A direct link to a SAS VA report can have a VERY lengthy URL.

It's poorly designed in such a amazingly specific way. :allears:

What on earth is an SAS VIYA or SAS VA? I thought SAS that was a Scandinavian airline.

In any event, Adobe had announced many, MANY YEARS ago that they'd stop supporting flash and any system still requiring this is an anti-pattern that points to awful quality or support. Any company not being able to plan for this is crap.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
rest in piss flash, you were good for stick castle battles on newgrounds and that matrix animation where someone got their balls blown off but the amount of backdoors and zero-click remote exploits from just having it on the loving system was going to give the nsa a lethal amount of orgasms if it stayed around any longer :rip:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I liked the yata cartoon somebody made welp see you later

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

thank god zombocom is safe

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
i dunno... if it's not flash, it's not really zombo is it :\

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

You can still run flash 32.0.0.363. That was the last version that isn't timebombed.

If anyone needs it, here is a zippyshare link with ActiveX, Mozilla, Pepper (Chromium), the standalone player, and the uninstaller. You need to use the uninstaller if you have a version of Flash installed later than 32.0.0.363.

https://www18.zippyshare.com/v/Unm7FVCK/file.html

When installing, make sure to select the option to "Never check for updates."

Standalone player should be fine, browser versions will of course only work in browsers that support them, for example Chromium will eventually get updated to not allow the Pepper version of Flash to run any more.

If you have saved SWF flash games, movies, animations, etc., you should still be able to play them in the standalone Flash player.

There are "enterprise" configurations of Flash for versions past 32.0.0.363 that will work, but it uses an "allow" list that has to have URLs included for allowing Flash player to work on just those URLs, and there is no way to configure the allow list with a "*" wildcard or something like that to "allow all." So the best way to continue to use Flash (if you need or want it) is version 32.0.0.363 combined with a browser that supports it, or the standalone player for offline / saved SWF files.

Here's a nice site to test if it's working :cool:

http://fishmech.net/fyadhaus/grandmas/pie/factory/

Cool thanks

Guess we can use this again

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Yay!
Still hope for that newzletter.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thank God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I'm actually fine.