Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you sad and/or angry Flash is gone?
Yes
No
This arouses no special feelings in me OP
Goku
View Results

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

What platform will the next Arfenhouse be released on then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

Or, install Flash version 32.0.0.363.

It's a real rear end in a top hat move from Adobe to timebomb their code. It is up to the individual user to decide whether or not code will run on their machines, not anyone else. Too many people have been compromised from using too many phones, tablets, and consoles, into accepting that this is fine if it isn't the case.

:eyepop:
but thats against the terms of service :ohdear:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

How will I watch my DBZ parodies?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

To be fair flash was super buggy and super prone to accidently letting hackers turn your PC into a botnet zombie via drive by adverts.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Drone_Fragger posted:

To be fair flash was super buggy and super prone to accidently letting hackers turn your PC into a botnet zombie via drive by adverts.

Why though? IDGI. Is sandboxing something so all it can do is make pixels in a box so very hard? They had so many years to fix this stuff. What kinds of OS hooks did Flash based malware exploit?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Is sandboxing something so all it can do is make pixels in a box so very hard?
Yes, particularly if you're trying to do it after the fact. Sandboxing everything is also worse for performance, and while that doesn't matter much today it did during flash's heyday. Back in the day when a website wanted to load a java applet it was like ugggggh fine because your PC was gonna slow down for the next little while. So for most of flash's life, particularly for multimedia stuff, the simple and insecure nature of flash was an advantage.

quote:

They had so many years to fix this stuff.
Yeah but nobody wants to use flash these days, irregardless of the vulnerabilities or anything else. There are better, more modern replacements for everything flash does. So nobody was buying fireworks or other adobe software to make new flash poo poo.

Adobe *could* have been working on something like ruffle for the last 6 years. But they aren't gonna pay for developers to do stuff just to support old newgrounds games. The professional internet has moved on from flash.

quote:

What kinds of OS hooks did Flash based malware exploit?
Nothing weird, same sort of flaws that other software has for security holes, including broswers themselves. Firefox & chrome have had exploits in the past that allowed people to pwn your computer just from loading a webpage & scripts. But way fewer of them than flash.

The difference is that flash likely had some really poorly designed stuff at the very bottom from a security perspective. It's really hard to re-do the foundations of a software program without just re-doing the whole program. And in the case of flash, which is a program that runs other programs, doing drastic changes in ways that don't break compatibility is hard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who gives a gently caress about the professional internet. Look what that's gotten us

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bula Vinaka posted:

Timebombing the code was a lovely thing for them to do.

You already posted this twice, thanks!

I don't see the problem if a harmful old poo poo product isn't supported anymore and the company who made it does everything to inform everyone years in advance that it will be unsupported after a certain point in time and will turn itself off.

What makes me really mad is that my so-called "smart" phone cannot run Windows 3.0 and print ASCII art to my MX-80 dot matrix printer using a Centronics cable. Assholes!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I seriously thought this thread was on the comic book hero Flash

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5QfNv0lhvM

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mooey Cow posted:

Flash tub has been on youtube for a number of years

Hehehehe remember when youtube ran on flash :laugh:

I remember seeing YouTube for the first time and all the videos were just like random nonsense from random people that no one cared about and I was like heh, what a stupid idea no one's gonna want to watch this poo poo :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Oracle used to do this also with Java updates.

I will never not wish for a second that Larry Ellison gets fired into the sun.

My dad worked for Oracle for a couple of years, he had nothing nice to say about them.