Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

GD_American posted:

Goddamn the Aeros had the absolute best minor league jersies in the 90s

90s Aeros? Get on my level:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

downout posted:

Was there some particular 'unpleasant experience' between the big12 and fertitta beyond his salty comments?

For the ex-SWC schools "Fertitta said nasty things" is better PR than the more honest "we don't want to legitimize Houston and take a hit in recruiting"

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't think the Big 12 can just sit and do nothing regarding expansion. They have to make a move or get picked off themselves.

In other news, Liberty had no mask or vaccine requirements, and now 160 people have COVID since classes started Monday, so they have issued a campus-wide quarantine. Their season opener against the Campbell Camels might be in doubt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Komet posted:

I don't think the Big 12 can just sit and do nothing regarding expansion. They have to make a move or get picked off themselves.

By who, exactly?

I think there are compelling reasons for the Big 12 to add teams, but in terms of stability I think there are two pretty solid facts to consider:

1) In the unlikely event that Kansas or West Virginia or anyone else gets an invite to the Big Ten/ACC/Pac-12, they're accepting it in a heartbeat. Adding BYU or Boise or half the AAC isn't going to change that calculus one iota.
2) Nobody is going to leave the Big 12 for a current G5.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Komet posted:

In other news, Liberty had no mask or vaccine requirements, and now 160 people have COVID since classes started Monday, so they have issued a campus-wide quarantine. Their season opener against the Campbell Camels might be in doubt.

Cowards are probably just using covid as an excuse to avoid getting stomped by the mighty Camels.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Komet posted:

As of right now, there's no conference that wants any of the Big XII members that is stronger than a conference made up of the remaining Big XII members.

The conference will stand pat at 8 until Texas and OU are officially out. I'm guessing that in the last two years of the GoR, they pull some BS and penalize OU & UT, vote 8-2 to enact it, and flap their dicks in the wind at the departing schools.

There is a 100% chance that various schools in the leftover Big XII continue to petition the Pac 12, Big 10, and ACC for admission, but no one's going to leave the desiccated corpse for the AAC.

To me, there's a 90% chance that the big 12 adds 2-4 schools with BYU being the one that makes the most financial sense. I would target school size and alumni #'s, in addition to football quality. BYU and UCF easily lead the pack (RIGHT NOW) on those merits, while Cincinatti and UH are standouts in the 2nd tier. Boise is actually pretty weak when you look at anything other than their football program.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think Boise is a good enough brand and has showed enough ability to maintain its program over the last 20 years that it would add some value to the Big 12 as a TV football package. The main questions are whether it's enough of a value to be worth the geographic hurdles, whether either parties would be interested in a football-only arrangement, and whether Boise's recruiting would suffer from being in a conference so far from its traditional recruiting territory.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I've been thinking about this for a couple years now. The older I get, the harder it is to let go of the shittiness of the world and enjoy the absolute absurdity of college football. I still love it, I always will, but I'd prefer that I do something constructive with it.

One of the coolest things this forum ever did was raise a bunch of money for the SPLC in wheez's name. Tomorrow, I'm going to donate :10bux: to a charity for each Illinois touchdown and Nebraska turnover. Maybe $50 minimum, $100 maximum, I donno. I gotta run it by my wife.

I don't know a ton about charities but I do know some of them get up to shady business with their books. I want to donate to a good one. I considered the SPLC. I also considered the International Rescue Committee in light of recent events in Afghanistan.

Do any of you have a personal favorite charity, or one that you know is particularly transparent/responsible with their donations?

tia and footbaw to all of you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

I've been thinking about this for a couple years now. The older I get, the harder it is to let go of the shittiness of the world and enjoy the absolute absurdity of college football. I still love it, I always will, but I'd prefer that I do something constructive with it.

One of the coolest things this forum ever did was raise a bunch of money for the SPLC in wheez's name. Tomorrow, I'm going to donate :10bux: to a charity for each Illinois touchdown and Nebraska turnover. Maybe $50 minimum, $100 maximum, I donno. I gotta run it by my wife.

I don't know a ton about charities but I do know some of them get up to shady business with their books. I want to donate to a good one. I considered the SPLC. I also considered the International Rescue Committee in light of recent events in Afghanistan.

Do any of you have a personal favorite charity, or one that you know is particularly transparent/responsible with their donations?

tia and footbaw to all of you

DirectRelief is one of my favs also wherever you live your local humane society is always an A+ dono. Supporting the Afghanistan cause is good too. Whatever speaks to you!

Thanks for doing this!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Edward Mass posted:

90s Aeros? Get on my level:

It was pretty cool that he got to play with his sons.

But those white and green ones from the ECHL days were tits.

Hey good news

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/1431295549660180486?s=21

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Hurricane Ida looks like its going to be a monster. Stay safe louisianans.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

vyst posted:

DirectRelief is one of my favs also wherever you live your local humane society is always an A+ dono. Supporting the Afghanistan cause is good too. Whatever speaks to you!

Thanks for doing this!

As a member of the development team for a local humane society, yes please. Not a lot of money for quite a lot of animals, especially in mid/late summer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

After about 6-8 beers and 2-3 trips to the bathroom on GameDay, I usually find I'm at championship levels.

Yo Scarf I finally ordered that BBQ sauce you posted about… here’s my sampler pack and I got some other ones as gifts. Looking forward to some smoking Saturdays this fall!

Thanks!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If you want to look into other charities, see if your local area has a Mutual Aid fund. Mutual aid of Athens did a ton of good work during the covid poo poo and continues to do good.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hed posted:

Yo Scarf I finally ordered that BBQ sauce you posted about… here’s my sampler pack and I got some other ones as gifts. Looking forward to some smoking Saturdays this fall!

Thanks!

Fuuuuuuck yes my dude.

Be careful with that one on the far left... that poo poo makes my eyeballs sweat

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
What's the proper nomenclature for the gameday thread, Week 0 GDT, Week 1 GDT, or Opening Week GDT?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Week 0.

joshsboringlife
Apr 21, 2011

All I did was offer to kill your dog and the next thing I know I am being judged.
First game of the Bret Bielema era at Illinois, LET'S GO!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

joshsboringlife posted:

First game of the Bret Bielema era at Illinois, LET'S GO!

Huh, just looking things up...

I'd forgotten all about the whole Tim Beckman thing. Then Bill Cubit coaching for a year. Illinois is interesting because I can't figure out why they can't figure things out. They oughtta be fine. Like, at least okish.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
:siren: GDT! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977812 :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s TIME fellas