Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Hey yall, just letting you know that a lovely quarterback named after a hat threw for more yards and 1 more TD against Alabama than Fields did Stetson Bennet is a bad quarterback and i actually do like fields, I just think this is a funny stat

UGA controlling that game in Tuscaloosa until around midway in the third is probably the strangest result of the season.

Maybe second, UGA having like 2 rushing yards against Miss. State might've been stranger.

Weird year and I'm glad it's over. Looking forward to everyone on offense returning + everyone in the secondary leaving = bunch of 48-42 games next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

I'm not really sure why Auburn has been raiding our coaching staff, but go off, I guess. I will miss zero of these dudes.

I was basically one of 5 UGA fans who defended Bobo to the death, but that was like 7 years ago, and he's still running the same pro-style stuff he was doing with Murray and Gurley.

e: and Stafford and Moreno. Bobo's old news.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I like how the Pride of the Southland Band plays Rocky Top more and more sassy as the game goes on, so by the time UT's down 30 points they're just vamping all over the place with it.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Wait, when was Mike Leach with the Bears?

He wasn't, but the other Mike Leach was, the NYT just merged them together somehow.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Urban handled 2007-2009 Florida's locker room pretty well, and that thing was a mid-90s Cowboys level of malfeasance and tomfoolery. I think he'll be fine for the Jags.

And yes, as noted, he beat Georgia's rear end in that stadium, and the one time he didn't, it made him so mad he beat Georgia's rear end even worse the next year.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

soggybagel posted:

"Pretty well" in that he kept a lot of issues under wraps....sure.

That, alas, is exactly what I meant.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah I don't see Clemson's semifinal loss as being a program turning point the way "Tebow cries after getting dominated by Bama"/"Jameis falls on his rear end in the Rose Bowl" were. Clemson will be favored in the '21 opener against UGA and should be.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Georgia's DC Dan Lanning apparently turned down an offer from Sark and is coming back to Athens. Georgia's defense in '20 regressed from historically great to merely decent, but there were injuries and a distinct lack of give-a-poo poo at times. I don't think Georgia would've necessarily missed him – it's Kirby's defense – but him leaving would've likely meant Muschamp became Georgia's DC and, um

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Last time I was in the French Quarter I went into a Rouses to get a soda and saw they had an entire aisle of Tony C's variations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UT wins since 2007: 5, 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, 7, 9, 9, 4, 5, 8, 3

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Josh_Ward/status/1351219894210207747?s=20

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

so Cutcliffe then, huh

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

no no, you can do better than that, who was the last Head Coach that Peyton gave his approval for?

Adam Gase

LOL I've seen that Gase pic so many times I've divorced goofy face from the guy actually making it.

LLCoolJD posted:

Pruitt was a decent DC, right? He will find work eventually.

Pruitt was good in Athens. Apparently also a titanic rear end in a top hat, but if my defense has zero margin of error every game because Schottenheimer, I'd be a little cross too. An immediate upgrade over Grantham.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Shelton Felton

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Back-to-back 9-4 seasons, the latter of which included players and coaches fighting all the time, is as good as it's gotten in Knoxville in 13 years. Michigan at least had '16. They even made a BCS bowl under Hoke!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Frost's "dude on a Rivals board" level of excuse-making would be a funny addition to the SEC coaching ranks.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stoops's masterpiece

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I still follow a bunch of UCF fanboy flacks from back in their '17 run and the general consensus was that Heupel was about to push the program into a ditch and if they could just fire him, then they'd be back to NATIONAL CHAMPIONS quality teams again. I dunno. UT's turbo-boned anyway but hiring a dude on a clear downswing that the natives had grown restless over is ehhhh.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Muschamp's best season (9 wins, NYD bowl win over Michigan, finished second in a reaaally down SEC East) should be the reasonable goal for Beamer IMO

e: speaking of SCAR,
https://twitter.com/Rivals/status/1354837299394174978?s=20

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 28, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

Like consistently? Good luck

Nah, I mean getting to where that's his best season every now and then is a reasonable goal. Spurrier went 7-5, 8-5, 6-6, 7-6, 7-6 before going on that run, and then 7-6 and 2-4 after it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Finished second place in a poker tournament last night to a Michigan fan who was playing like Mike DeBord was operating his betting strategy. Dude had a 50,000-chip lead over me and was folding small blinds in heads up. Though...it worked; I got frustrated because I didn't want to be there all night, got too aggressive, went down. A great moment for Michigan Men everywhere

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

okay so i appear to have been wrong about unc hiring Mack Brown but at least I knew Les would be a huge disaster

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1356719932084543503?s=19

Imagine being some poor kid playing for Kansas, just wanting to have fun, and you've got Mike DeBord's 100-year-old rear end yelling at you to run the ball up the middle harder, and again, and then punt like a winner.

Fun fact, 38 is the most points Mike DeBord's 1997 national championship winning team scored in a game.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Demetris Robertson, rising 9-year senior, charged with removing a boot from his car. UGA offseason in full swing, baby.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kirby brought him in for '18, the NCAA let him play, and I don't think he caught a single pass. (Just looked, I'm right.) Just end-arounds and stuff.

2018 UGA was one of the best offenses in school history despite being very very very weird in its personnel decisions.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

Meyer's hiring our director of personnel to replace Doyle, I guess. Poor Beamer just cannot hang on to dudes for some reason (although this guy was a Muschamp holdover). I, for one, would love to know why everyone's so eager to raid a 2-8 coaching staff.

SCAR's coaching staff getting stripped seems very inertia-of-the-old-boy-network. "Hey, Mike Bobo, I've heard of that guy! Might as well hire him."

Shoot the Beamer hire itself is kinda like that

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Outside of that wild November '17 heater Gus had seemed burned out at Auburn for a looooooong time. Nothing particularly new or interesting when we'd play those guys. (Dare you to watch the 2019 UGA/Auburn game, might as well have been played in 1997.)

I think you divorce him from Auburn boosters and let him dial up fun stuff again and he'll do really well.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1362186685845495814?s=20

lmao

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I would also be the turnovers coach because it seems like randomness is a big part of getting turnovers so maybe I'd get lucky.

IIRC but am too lazy to re-look up, one of Saban's Bama teams was like dead last one year in fumble recoveries

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Back in '18 UGA did the bafflingly-perpetual "intentionally drop the ball before crossing the goal line" thing against Mizzou, Mizzou recovered the fumble and took it 100 yards for a score only for the refs to wave it off and then also not give them the score on review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbKEGt68D4

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Hope it works out for Texas with that guaranteed money. As much as I hate them I can't deny cfb is better with a good Texas.

I dunno, Texas has had like one good season in the past decade and CFB has been pretty fun anyway

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Wingnut freakazoids in the Georgia General Assembly are responding to Georgia going blue by threatening to strip the SOS of his duties entirely and basically make it so you're held at gunpoint if you try to get an absentee ballot. Go Dawgs

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA had a 5-star TE built like a cross between Lebron James and an Ent, so of course we threw to him like 4 times all season. Come to Athens, Arik

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

also jeeeeeeez

quote:

"UT needs rich donors who love The Eyes of Texas more than they need one crop of irresponsible and uninformed students or faculty who won't do what they are paid to do," Steven Arnold, a retired administrative law judge and UT-Austin law school graduate, wrote to Hartzell.

quote:

"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

Quiet parts loud, etc.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 1, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Every Texas player should be Case McCoy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I don't think Georgia has ever successfully covered a wheel route in program history.

MFin' UMass did it to us.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

What in the world? Surely Kansas would've done their due diligence when they hi-

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Looks like that email went out the summer before that season, though. '12 LSU went to the Chick-fil-A bowl but were only a few plays away from being really special. (Counterpoint: Lost to Muschamp)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

The ratio of scandal to on field success at KU is interesting/head scratching/flabbergasting/some word I'm not smart enough to come up with. I mean they've had a bunch of stuff going on back to Mangino.

I don't know that the scandal is necessarily worse than other places, it's just that they're doing it to get goddamned nothing on the field, ever.

e: well other than that Texas win, which will never stop being funny.

LOL now I'm remembering Mangino getting in hot water for always rage-squealing at attendants giving him tickets for illegally parking. Nice Saturday morning chuckle.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mangino being an enormous rageaholic fatass probably didn't endear him to any ADs who wanted a head guy for the long haul. They probably figured he was a ticking time bomb, whether it be blowing up at the university or literally keeling over midgame. I also can't imagine he'd be even a decent interview, probably yelling at the secretary about this or that on his way in

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

I'm just laughing at Georgia spending all that money with nothing to show for it.

The Georgia Bulldogs: the F-35 of college football

UGA paying players helped them go from the Belk Bowl* to playing for a natty; it's not nothing.

*seriously Gurley/Chubb/Michel backfield and we played in the loving Belk Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kansas win totals since the Orange Bowl season: 8, 5 (Mangino fired here), 3, 2, 1, 3, 3, 0, 2, 1, 3, 3, 0

Duke between bowl appearances from the mid-90s to 2012 was probably the most abysmal streak that involves this calendar century: 3, 0, 2, 4, 3, 0, 0(two in a row!), 2, 4, 2, 1, 0, 1, (Cutcliffe hired here)4, 5, 3, 3, 6