Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

BOB be brilliant at Alabama for one year before he goes back to head coach in the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State backup QB Will Levis is entering the transfer portal with degree in hand and 3 years of eligibility remaining. Penn State is down to three scholarship quarterbacks, so hopefully they can get a transfer from somewhere. Sean Clifford is an alright QB who can get them to 10 wins if he plays within himself, but they're really not going to be competitive against Ohio State without a better QB.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Roasted Donut posted:

he's at least been and shown potential to be decent at times (when he's not turning the ball over nonstop like the start of this year). levis on the other hand had shown zero throwing ability

i'd like a portal qb regardless but that doesn't really look like it's going to happen

Clifford was alright in 2019, but seemed to stagnate as the year went on, like he hit his ceiling in the first half of the season. Then in 2020, he was awful until somehow he snapped out of it and was decent the second half. I had hopes that Ciarrocca would fix his problems and he'd be much improved in 2020. Maybe Yurcich can salvage him, but hopefully they can find a transfer quarterback. Franklin really needs to recruit better RPO style quarterbacks that fit the system better. Clifford is too much of a square peg being fit into a round hole of what Franklin wants the offense to do.

To be honest though, Clifford's problems seem a lot more fixable than Christian Hackenberg's.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

christian hackenburg was just this big white guy with a big arm who couldn’t make reads

and then james franklin ended his whole career

Hackenberg might have turned out a lot differently if Bill O'Brien had remained has coach, but maybe reading the defense and going through your progressions is one thing that relies much more on natural ability than a something that can be taught than any other skill a quarterback possesses.

Hack really did play under a historically bad offensive line, but he never adapted to get rid of the ball quickly enough.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Will Levis is never going to recapture that Lynn Bowden magic because he's no where as good as Lynn Bowden.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I would easily trade Rutgers or Maryland for WVU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

ACC are the biggest snobs because they could have gotten WVU and it was vetoed. I really doubt Louisville is any better academically

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

At what point does being a CHUD play out in black kids not wanting to play for you?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

On the other side of the coin, last summer, many Penn State players voiced their opinions of the current state of race relations in the US, and Franklin has actively encouraged this, which I appreciate. Although Franklin's own statements have been pretty ambiguous ("we should all respect each other" or some such), because he has to walk a fine line as a black football coach with an outsized Trumpian fanbase that he can't or doesn't want to alienate (the politician that he is).

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Buying a Weber a few years ago to replace my old $150 Walmart grill my parents bought me when I moved on out on my own was such a massive upgrade in the quality of the cooking. It's definitely one of those things that's worth the money.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I feel like this will ultimately strengthen the power of the blue blood programs. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm a fan of a blue blood program.

On the other hand, if you can be a big fish in a small pond in a G5 program, you can still probably make pretty good money doing promotions for car dealerships in Buffalo or Tulsa or whatever.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Saquon Barkley has CTE https://onwardstate.com/2021/07/14/saquon-barkley-to-take-100-of-endorsement-money-in-bitcoin/

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Wait a minute, what's this about buttchugging scandals?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

disagree but also how many times has this actually happened

Last I remember watching is when the bench cleared when Minnesota got flagged for a late hit on Penn State's fat kicker

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Holy poo poo.

This would be a great time to dump Maryland and Rutgers on the Big 12

Komet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 23, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Remember the first conference apocalypse when it seemed like Texas and Oklahoma wanted into the Big Ten?

Then we got Maryland and Rutgers. drat, that loving sucks. If the Big Ten makes any moves, it should try to get WVU. And try to poach VT out of the ACC. No Pitt

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

These superconferences are just so unwieldy. I'd rather see more 10-12 team conferences that are more regionally aligned. I mean, I don't want Penn State to leave the Big Ten, but the original vision of the eastern football conference would have been pretty exciting. Adding more teams into the conference might introduce some excitement, but otherwise it means seeing fewer matches of traditional teams I like to watch. Playing Wisconsin or Minnesota or Iowa less often to play Rutgers and Maryland every year is not a good trade-off. Delaney was a fool for chasing traditional cable subscriptions when we were on the cusp of a major change in the way people consume media.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

If the SEC goes with two 8-team conferences, aren't we really just back to the 80s? You play 7 games against the same teams every year and then it's like having home-and-homes against the other side of the conference on a decade-long schedule.

Maybe fans of teams in the east liked that they played a rival in the west every year or two. Now those games are played less often. I'd rather Penn State play Wisconsin every other year and not play Maryland and Rutgers ever, then play Wisconsin every 4 years.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

gently caress it, Big Ten should make a play at OU and Texas

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Kansas has a basketball team, but they're so egregiously bad in football. We already have Rutgers. We don't need two of the worst FBS teams in one conference.

I'm seeing that there are talks between the Big Ten and PAC schools.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

kiimo posted:

They also have a new coach and a new athletic director and that coach is from Big 10 country. They have good facilities and a fanbase that's obviously obsessed with the Chiefs already it wouldn't be a huge stretch to dramatically improve that program if they go to the Big 10.

That's what people said about Maryland and Rutgers. You can't just spent more money and magically become good at football.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Metapod posted:

I don't really understand the hate on Maryland they seem fine?

They were 7-6 their first year in the conference in 2014, but haven't had a winning season since.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The ACC will veto WVU before the Big Ten does IMO. WVU is the best option on the market for the conference

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

lmao

Good thread by Mandel:

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1418611611267260417

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

OU and Texas are just trying to get in on the ground floor of a new professional football league for when the south secedes again

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I know I've dumped on WVU more than anyone in the history of this forum, but it's going to be a huge bummer when a top 15-20 all time program is relegated to the dust bin. Big Ten would be way better off dumping Rutgers for WVU if they don't want to go to 16.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If OSU and Michigan leave, which isn't happening, then I think Penn State books it for the ACC. Some fans have been wanting the school to leave the conference for years, which is stupid considering that it's also an academic consortium, but I can't see PSU sticking around with 2/3 power players bolting.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

The list of "kicked out of major conference" begins and ends with Temple.

The only common thread we've ever had in any of this business is "who is going to join what" and it has never been "who is going to get the boot from where." Even hypothetical superconferences are going to want guaranteed wins because alums and boosters are going to demand 12-2, 13-1, and 14-0 seasons. Not everyone can be a juggernaut anyhow. There's always going to be loser teams. Illinois, Purdue, and Maryland are just, in theory, better loser teams than Toledo, Miami (OH), and Akron.

Don't destroy my dream of Rutgers getting kicked out of the Big Ten.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Metapod posted:

Because ou had to play real teams lol

Other than Oklahoma, what other Big 12 teams have been to the playoff or NY6 bowl games the last 6 or so years?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I read an article on CBS that the Big 12 might lose anywhere from 50-75% of their revenue after Texas and OU leave, with each school getting about $9/mil a year. This is really unsustainable.

I'll be a little disappointed if some more moves don't hasten the realignment. I don't want four years of limbo.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Mike_V posted:

UK is going to inspire fear, but it seems like every game is a 12 round fight so it's not a gimme or something to look forward to.

Regarding Bama/Auburn moving east being a blow to the current teams, is there any reason to assume that Harsin will keep Auburn as a perennial powerhouse?

As a segue, are there going to be any repercussions at all for cancelled games due to COVID outbreaks? The NFL hasn't mandated vaccines, but they've made it clear there are stiff penalties for cancellations. Which I think we need more of in our society. I'll point you to an article from a few days ago about Penn State, whose players and staff are more than 70% vaccinated: https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article252959393.html

Here's a quote from Franklin:

quote:

“I think vaccination rates are clearly going to be a competitive advantage or a competitive disadvantage,” Franklin said. “I’ve stated that very clearly to my team. If you have a certain position that has low vaccination rates, then all of a sudden you get somebody that pops positive and you lose four guys at one position, that’s going to be a challenge. That’s going to be an issue.”

One of his daughters has an autoimmune disorder and he spent the entire football season away from them.

So, if Harsin is a chud and there's an outbreak on Auburn because he's not encouraging his players to get vaccinated, his Auburn financially liable for loss of revenue incurred by the cancellation? It doesn't seem to me that any of the conferences have outlined clear consequences for these sorts of things.

Relatedly, it will be interesting to see if Washington State coach Nick Rolovich gets himself fired: https://www.cougcenter.com/2021/7/22/22589090/nick-rolovich-vaccine-pac-12-media-day-covid.

Perhaps not fired, but I know that UVA has instituted a policy where anyone not vaccinated must submit to daily COVID tests to make it as annoying as possible.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Spacebump posted:

The Zombie Big 12 that can't go to P4 would be smarter to absorb AAC/Mountain West teams than join them. They shouldn't lose their name if they can avoid it. One of the dumbest things the AAC did was give up the Big East name/instantly killing their ex BCS conference prestige and making it easier for them not to be considered a power conference.

I don't think the Big East teams had a choice with the Big East name. It still exists as a basketball conference. The basketball schools had more power in the relationship.

I'd be happy to see the Big Ten stay where it is. Maryland and Rutgers were awfully underwhelming, and you can't really sell me on the other Big 12 teams, even though many of them make geographic and academic sense. I'd rather add WVU and Maybe Oklahoma State if anything. But if the Big Ten does anything, it needs to be a major splash, like somehow poaching half the PAC and making a national conference with east-west pods. Big Ten teams make about $50M each right now. Each SEC team makes about $44M now and are speculated to get 60 once Texas and Oklahoma are added. There's almost no move the Big Ten can make that won't actually diminish the payout for each team in the conference. Iowa State and Kansas will make a huge bump in their money, but at the cost of probably $5M for each of the other 14 schools. You somehow grab Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA/Stanford, you've completely changed the dynamic.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Cincinnati would make a lot of sense especially if West Virginia is stuck. BYU would also make a good move and the whole Mormon thing isn't a factor.

Keeping Houston out is one of the only things that the Big 12 has ever agreed on so I expect that to continue. In fact I'd say the Pac-12 is more likely to take on Houston than the Big 12 is.

What's wrong with Houston?

Komet fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 26, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A Big Ten - PAC 12 challenge every year world be pretty fun

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Charlottesville is definitely becoming increasingly tech bro-y. It's still a great place, and I love living here, but I can see the way the wind is blowing. Some rich alum who made hundreds of millions of dollars doing predictive analytics in the stock market donated a ton of money to UVA to build a new school of data science and also to tear down the ice rink on the downtown pedestrian mall to build a big startup incubator office building. It's not finished quite yet, but it's one of three office buildings near completion during a period where the pandemic has dramatically altered office work. These will probably be apartments within five years. I think the idea is that UVA will be a feeder for Amazon's other HQ in northern Virginia.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

SEC is the best conference :smug: Texas and Oklahoma made the right move.

Charlottesville is like Georgetown South. Very wealthy and full of conceit. The rural areas in its vicinity are amazing, though.

Whoa, we're not that bad yet.

Also, our food and drink prices are way below DC. Pints at microbreweries in town (we have 7!) are still on average $6/pint. DC is pretty much up to $10 now.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If you said Morgantown is a suburb of Pittsburgh to a West Virginian, your body would never be found

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

GD_American posted:

I installed satellite dishes in Morgantown for a month.

I'd rather go back to Iraq.

Morgantown is weird in that it's part sorta liberal college town and part impoverished city. I haven't been there in almost 20 years, so maybe it's a little better. I don't know. There was a time when there wasn't enough guaranteed on-campus housing for students and underclassmen were relegated to living in trailer courts.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I've read speculation on some sort of Big Ten - Pac 12 merger into a national conference. The Big Ten to a large extent, and PAC to a smaller one, are still reputable brands. I don't think the PAC would simply agree to dissolve themselves into the Big Ten and lose their branding and identity. But having some sort of conference-wide play agreement (like the Big Ten - ACC challenge in basketball) would be pretty cool. I don't know if they'd ever consider a championship game between the two conferences. Perhaps if the NCAA playoffs were only 4-8 teams, but not 12.

The PAC is in a weird situation. Olympic sports are still going strong at these universities, but administrations don't seem to be as keen as spending the massive amounts of money to remain relevant in football. Getting more TV time in the east coast hours would be good for them.

Komet fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 29, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Is he even academically eligible to get into Ohio State? I understand this is a stupid question to raise in a college football forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I hope the Big 12 breakup is as ugly as possible, for my own personal entertainment