Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It "went as well as it did" because lots of teams cancelled games and played with half rosters while dudes got sick. It only looked like it went well because the games were on TV, imo every coach seems to have implied this was a nightmare of a season no matter how successful or unsuccessful you were on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

ROCKY TOP YOU'LL ALWAYS BEEEEEEE

HOME SWEET HOME TO MEEEEEEE

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

If it wasn't obvious from my previous posting, I'm okay with it. I still think he needs more time. I also still don't believe that things are/were as bad as Vol Twitter/Media is making them out to be.

Plus the alternative sounds like it would be one of Freeze, Doeren or BoB which is....yikes.

Yeah I am very okay with Pruitt still trying to figure it out. He's shown that he can do good things, but he really needs to settle on a staff and scheme/vision and build around it. Changing big pieces of the staff every year is going to make it tough on him, the machine isn't established like at Bama where Saban can just plug in whoever and it works.

As long as he's still recruiting at a level to be competitive, I'm prepared to let him try and sort it out unless as noted something absolutely awful is hiding behind the scenes.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah that's a point I hadn't considered either, Year 1 vs year 2 the offense had to overhaul itself from Helton leaving/Chaney coming in.

Then year 2 to year 3 he overhauled the defensive staff. On the one hand I want to think it shows he's committed to getting the best guys for the job, on the other hand the churn is disruptive to actually developing the players. He also hired what was considered a home run at DL and fired him 3 games into the season sooooo

One of the athletic exit interviews the guy basically said "i had 4 DL coaches in 3 years and we never learned or developed under the same philosophy/approach". That is hard to be successful with as aa baseline, even with talent on the roster.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 15, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Texas and Tennessee and Auburn etc have the same problem of boosters loving around when they shouldn't. The admin at UTK was a mess when I was a grad student a decade+ ago and clearly nothing has changed except the women's sports are now subject to the same fucky leadership as the men's sports. Joan did amazing stuff as the last women's AD, she retired, they combined the depts, and now the Lady Vols are just as mired in poo poo as the men's teams.

Whether Pruitt really did cause this much trouble or not who knows, but once again the admin/boosters just cannot help but assume they're smarter than anyone else in the room while the thing collapses to rubble around them.

vvvv e: The idea that in fact they were cheatin hard is def possible. The Vols have been so bad at copying other programs efforts it's just hard to tell if it was really on the HC or the *waves at everything generally* going on in the Vols athletic dept.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

I fear I have a lot of Haslamposting in my future.

Somehow you know Haslam had his hand in this. Never a bad place to start poo poo talking UTK internal politics.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Oof. Holy poo poo the bottom has fallen out

Excuse me this is the Vols, there is always a new basement to reach. No surprise at all that the guys who came to UTK because of Pruitt (apparently prb cause of cash money money) are no longer interested in staying at a school with a toxic admin and bad results on the field.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Saban is hands down the most important factor in the success of that program. Bill O Brien recruited fine at a crippled PSU, I'm sure he'll do fine in Tuscaloosa with all that support. Plus despite the team sucking as the QB coach, Watson has been very good.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bitch I will cut you

Get ready to get double cut KKKLIP ART

How about you check out the entire mauve/fuschia range of the color scale for colors worse than orange. It aint just ROYGBIV out there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Good luck with that hire Vols. At this point the last decade has been largely such poo poo that honestly it would be hard to surprise me with whatever we get from Heupel.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Tennessee would be an amazing job if not for the turbo hosed administration and boosters.

Lots of history, great facilities, plenty of cash to throw around, right in a nice distance from lots of recruiting places with good players. Knoxville is a p chill place all in all.

All of which is slathered in a slick layer of poo poo from the top down def on the football side. Roundball seems to be okay I guess. There is no reason Tenn shouldn't be in contention for the east, but they can't get out of their own way. 3 top ten recruiting classes in the last 6 years, it's not like you can't get talent there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I did some work with the UTK compliance dept when I was grad student there, and uhh they were ignored then too. It was kind of accepted that they were just kinda trying their best while no one really cared that much about what they had to say. Especially in basketball and football.

More like suggestions than actual guidance was the impression I got from my time in there.

Fulmer is 100% believable as a rat scheming prick. Got majors gone, hosed over Bama, and undermined Curie to the point of replacing him. It's just his brand at this point.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Important question- did NCAA 2014 allow for 0 as a jersey number?

No.

Nor does it allow for two players to have the same number. Which is possible irl.

We need a new CFB game so bad :cry:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Rectal Placenta posted:

You might be able to do it with a roster editor.

Maybe I dunno, im not hacking my 360 to run the modified one so oh well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

They're all fighting over scraps at this point, best of luck to the bag men.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

All that matters is that it's back. It's gonna be a few years before we get a game anyway, the NIL stuff will be sorted by then and if the names and likenesses aren't literally in it, they'll be like the old game where it aint hard.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

i would like it to be good, actually

That it has a few years of development is good. If they were going to push it fast it'd be built on madden and it would suck. As long as it is it's own thing, i think it'll be good. Frankly it just has to be better than madden which shouldn't be hard.

Back means they can make it better vs gone where I'm still playing the same broken game from 8 years ago.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Leave your L's on the front lawn for all to see, hiding it makes it worse.

That is astoundingly bad tho Penn St.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I was very good at arithmetic, actual math went right over my head. No most of us can't do real math, we're mostly just doing arithmetic.

Kiffin is also loving great, I really wish he'd be the coach at one of my schools but the Vols couldn't keep him from the warm sun of socal.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I mean yes, but also what possible position did he land a roster spot in the NFL at?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I guess if Marcus Vick could float as WR in the league for a year or two Franklin could as well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Alaois posted:

he's a cornerback

Dude ain't long for the league having bounced between so many positions. Lucky man to get a ring out of it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Most over-rated school in texas is... Alabama. First of all, Alabama pretty much is always rated exactly where they need to be because they've earned the benefit of the doubt. Secondly, Alabama... isn't in texas?

No one said the educational systems in Texas were actually good at teaching things like what is in your state.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I Do like how its all "he's a good kid." Why the gently caress is he in a packed bar with no mask on getting involved in a loving fight.

You think Oklahoma cares about public health like at all? :lol:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

All of that tracks. Texas is full of rich toxic folks who will do anything to avoid having to face how lovely their mythology is.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

We had “college day” at the middle school I teach at and a kid told me my UGA polo was gross. Now, this kid is a gator fat, so my reply was that “I’m sorry I don’t cheer for a team based in a state that should be sawn off and left to drift into the ocean”

He is like, 12, so I don’t know how much of an impact, that had,but man, gently caress Florida.

Kid earned this one, welcome to college fandom where if you bring that ish you'll get it right back.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Keep thinking you're bigger, more important, and insulated from/than the rest of the country Texas. it's very on brand, and it keeps working out soooooooooo well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

(He was also one of A&M’s greatest football coaches, and they even have his Klan robes on display somewhere :heritage:)

Hold on, back it up. They literally have his Klan Robes in a museum somewhere?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

OK this caught my curiosity and I had to take a deep dive into it, so get ready for WORDS.

HISTORY WORDS

Thanks, this feels like you can file it under the plausible, but difficult to ascertain with certainty. Kinda like Joe Pa's statue being hidden on campus even though no one can find it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

You can't blame Neyland's turf this time SEC FOES

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

There was a brief rumor Kansas was interested in Fuente and lol even though I want him gone he wouldn't go to that dumpster fire to get closer to home.

Kansas is hosed in football I have no clue who would realistically take that job.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

godfrey said they had tried to poach a sitting P5 head coach which is very funny on its face but this might be the only option where I could see why they'd think he might say yes

Honestly the best reason why he'd say yes is he loves to hide the program from anyone that wants to see it, no one cares about Kansas football, so it would be very easy to fly under the radar doing nothing for fans or the media.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Mickelthwait Craft Meats is the answer in Austin for best Brisket. Period. Also the best sides, and bread. It's basically just the best.

Salt Lick, if you go to the original one, is at least a fun experience even if the BBQ itself is only decent. They still have the open smoke pit and the OG one has a vineyard around it so it's kinda nice to sit around while you wait for your turn.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

No one here wanted that and I definitely joked about. It was brought up on Twitter but a lot of that was memes and yeah probably the fringe weirdos that thought that would be a good idea. It wasn’t a blanket acceptance.

e: definitely edited out some definitelies

I would have unironically been fine with it, but I thought he never should have left in the first place. I also knew it was never a thing that would happen after only a year under his belt at Ole Miss and how he left. UTK acting like it has ethics is laughable and I have never considered it part of the brand of that school. Let's loving win.

Schiano I didn't want because I didn't really think he'd do a very good job of handling the spot like that Vols sports put on everything, it's easy to hide at Rutgers. He sure didn't hide during his NFL time seemingly pissing everyone off along the way. Mostly just seemed like kind of a whatever coach to me after his finish at Rutgers and his time in the NFL. Just felt like he was not gonna change enough to be successful anymore, guess I was wrong about that second part? The PSU made up poo poo was just that made up poo poo to be mad about.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The trashcan was hilarious and was the moment I knew the team was hosed that season, barely getting by one of CPJ's shittiest GT teams? While dunking into a trash can? Just roasting yourself to fireable perfection.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah I’m just fine with it. I honestly couldn’t give a poo poo what a head coach has to say to the media about whatever. 9/10 it’s just the same regurgitated coach speak and the one other time it’s poo poo about champions of life or not knowing what asparagus is.

You say this until you have Justin "my press conferences are for the opponent" Fuente. Where what you hear is not only boring, but pointedly bullshit because he "isn't speaking to the fans" anytime he talks to the press. I'd take real info or madness over that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah I should clarify to mean right now. If Heupel is somehow successful and starts dunking on dudes in press conferences of course I'm going to love it and think it's hilarious. Even if he is successful I don't see him being that dude, though.

I really don't see him being in Knoxville more than 3 years so I don't know that it'll matter, but I also doubt he will ever be more than plain toast in a press conference.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/CAAFootball/status/1383510002913083398?s=19

Vilanova QB out there throwing a pass that looks like a glitch in the NCAA14 engine. Ridiculous

His forearm is down and this should have been overturned by replay. Still a sick effort.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/TechSideline/status/1384511170862886915?s=20

loving finally VT gets it that the athletics are huge drivers of the school and the region and they should support them properly.

This will make it a lot easier to land a high caliber coach once Fu flames out. This is probably a decade behind where we should be, but its better late than never and with the right folks VT can get back to being a championship contender. I'll not yet confuse us for being a top program, but this should get us a lot closer to Clemson, UNC etc so we can be competitive.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

lol odu is stuck in the gutter forever; vt and the rest of the acc are in their backyard and nothing’s gonna fix that

ODU really just hopes they can get on Richmond's level. The wild thing is JMU is easily the best lower division team in VA and ODU just figured we can leap frog them and be better, but NOPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Texas continues to think that it is too big/important for this poo poo to tarnish them which is why they keep trying to placate everyone vs making a real decision. They assume that they can have their cake and eat it too. Too bad its a racist cake no one should want to eat anymore, but those boosters/donors insist they shovel the racist poo poo cake into their faces.

I just hope that every band member joins the alt band and there is only like one lonely tuba man playing Eyes in the stands.