Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 3: Burn Baby Burn

...right, where was I?

Democracy has chosen land sharks over kaiju and dumbbells. This is probably the least of three evils.

A nice touch: when you pick your starter, it immediately tells you what nature it has. Gentle boosts Sp. Def and lowers Def which is not the best for Gible but also not the worst.

Filler goes and picks up the Larvitar.

:( I'm sorry, Beldum. You just don't have any moves...

: We'll force our way out of here!

Ok, but first, let me look at our new friend.

Nibbles comes holding an Oran Berry for a quick heal in a pinch. Additionally, Nibbles is Lv 10 instead of Lv 5 like other starters which may make getting him to level 24 less painful.

We can also see rough estimates of his IV spread. He has perfect Atk! And good Def. ...and middling to bad everything else.

Nibbles comes having learned Fire Fang, which I'm sure is not a sign of things to come.

Finally, Maodka and Filler make their way down to the grunt.

Grunt: I'm under strict orders to keep you locked up.

: You're going to let us out, or face my wrath.

Grunt: There's nothing you can do to make me let you through.

Well, I guess the answer to this is obvious.

Grunt: Inkay! Skorupi! Show them why you don't mess with the Shadows!

And with that, we're in the first battle of the game. Nibble's Fire Fang will hopefully take out Skorupi pretty quickly, and there's little it can do against ground and rock types. Inkay could potentially be more challenging because it could hit neutrally, but that's unlikely at this level.

I mean look at this! Nibble is a ground type, so Poison Sting will barely do anything unless it-

...poisons.

Because of that, Nibbles accumulates way more damage in the battle than you would expect.

But it still ends fairly quickly and painlessly.

: But I'll take it from here. Let me use this Potion on your Pokemon to heal it from the fight.

...That hoping motion and sound effect feel awfully light for that chomp. Which is just yet another reason that putting violence in your Pokemon fangame doesn't work: it just doesn't mesh with the art style. It falls super flat.

Grunt: Please, have mercy on me! Don't hurt me anymore! Please!

The grunt runs off and Filler calls his Larvitar back into its ball.

: I'm sure you're capable of taking care of yourself from here on out. If you run into any trouble, just use your Pokemon.

: Oh, one more thing. As soon as you get home, we're going to battle. You impressed me when we battled together, so I want to see how I'll fare against you. Until then, don't tire yourself out too much.

Filler then leaves.

I guess he used something a little better than just a Potion on Nibbles, because his poison is healed too. :v:

Madoka then exits the room as well.

Grunt: of my Pokemon before I even had a chance to react! Now I can't even stop you from escaping...

I guess Filler took them all out for Madoka. Well better not look a gift h-

Grunt A: found some Pokemon and escaped...

: How could you let them escape?! They saw what we were doing in the lab! If they realize what we are doing and tell anymore, the International Police will send a whole ethics committee after us! That could ruin our entire operation! And you think a simple apology will make everything better?

Well, I for one didn't see what you were doing in the lab. It looked like everyone was just standing around in an evil lab to me! Also: since when does Interpol send ethics committees after evil teams??? Is that Looker's division???

Grunt A: I promise it won't happen again.

: supplies from the Poke Mart. Make sure they also discretely obtain a special package that is arriving today. It's critical for our operation to capture specimen UNO.

: Grunt!

: ...
Grunt B: Yes, sir!

Grunt B then leaves.

: to capture specimen UNO.
: On it.

: It's time you pay for your blunder.

Houndoom jumps over to Grunt A.

Grunt A: I'll do anything to fix this!

Oh boy, how dumb is this going to lo-

:stare: I, uh. Take that back.

: Let's at least make something useful of this failure.

-orse in the mouth!

...Wait, does that snow mean what I think it means?

With an impending sense of doom regarding what's awaiting me on Route 1, I make my way over the ice to the city and immediately get pulled into a cutscene with Filler.

: He's an expert on Pokemon stats or something or other... I've been filling him in on what happened.

Madoka lives here, I'm pretty sure she knows the local professor, Filler. There's like ten people in town, max.

: And my title is Professor, not Old Man! Dear Arceus... I feel like I've told you that too many times...

: I'm relieved to hear both of you are unharmed. You both even managed to acquire your very own Pokemon! Not to mention rare and powerful ones at that! I was planning on giving Filler one, someday or another, but now I don't have to! Ho ho ho!

Guardian of the year award over here.

: It's been 13 years since you started looking after me, old man! I've been asking for Arceus knows how long! Honestly, I gave up believing you would, years ago...

: There are plenty of errands I'm too old to run myself! It's just that... well... when your parents left you with me, they asked that I watch over you until you were at least 18 years old...

: Now that we're outside, let me show you how a real Trainer battles!

And we're pulled into a rival battle.

I wasn't that worried until I realized...

Nibble has nothing that does even neutral damage to a Rock/Ground type. I lose to Filler a couple of times, but even though the plot goes on if I lose, I decide I will not give up until I win.

In pursuit of that goal I present: the cheese method. Nibble knows Sand Attack, which lowers the opposing Pokemon's accuracy. The less Filler's Larvitar successfully attacks Nibble, the more chances I have to wear it down.

You can see why I need it to attack less. After just one Leer, Bite takes out nearly half of Nibble's HP.

Thankfully, Nibble's Oran Berry can help us out this once.

The other half of the cheese method is crossing my fingers and hoping that Filler's Larvitar uses Sandstorm. Since both Nibble and Larvitar are Ground types, it won't whittle down either's HP - but it does activate Nibble's Sand Veil ability, increasing his evasion and decreasing Larvitar's chance to make my life more annoying.

The last part of the cheese method is using Fire Fang to attack over Tackle, hoping for a Burn. The Burn never shows up, but I feel like it still did more damage per attack than Tackle despite the 1/4x effectiveness.

The cheese method is not great and still required me to burn through both of the Potions I picked up. Since Nibbles starts at Lv 10 instead of LV 5, they aren't full heals either.

Eventually I win the war of attrition and Nibble gets his first level.

No, it was pretty bad.

: Very enthralling if I do say so myself.

: It only matters if our Pokemon seem strong.

: From what I can see, your Pokemon do have some nice stats... I see potential for them to become strong Pokemon some day.

: That's the first useful thing you've said all day. And it'll be the last. 'Cause I'm outta here.

And Filler indeed leaves, proving that he and Prof. Log deserve each other.

Bonus:

Vs. Rival 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cotxq7kO-Yg

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Epicmissingno posted:

Ah, but Tyranitar isn't! And only the final evolutions matter, clearly.

serefin99 posted:

To be fair, though, Tyranitar is Rock/Dark.

...For some reason I keep thinking its Ground/Dark :eng99:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy, it's that sort of rival.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Good to see we're establishing the grunts as fairly useless early on, getting swept by one kid with a starter Larvitar, apparently without getting any hits in.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Man Filler didn’t seemed that bad at start, but really took off on the rear end in a top hat meter there.

Also I’m calling it here: subject UNO is Articuno. They will refer to Zapdos as DOS and Moltres as TRES to continue the naming scheme.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Damanation posted:

Man Filler didn’t seemed that bad at start, but really took off on the rear end in a top hat meter there.

Ah, but does he have swag? :allears:

Also, I can appreciate 'Professor Log'.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

hopeandjoy posted:

The last part of the cheese method is using Fire Fang to attack over Tackle, hoping for a Burn. The Burn never shows up, but I feel like it still did more damage per attack than Tackle despite the 1/4x effectiveness.

Probably because Fire is 1/2x effective on Larvitar. Ground doesn't resist Fire.

Though regardless, that your first Rival fight has you with no way to deal even neutral damage is terrible.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gary and Silver sure did a number on fans ideas about rivals.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

More rivals should be like Green from Pokemon Adventures and just swindle the player for all their money.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Barely out of the tutorial and we have Pokémon murdering people, an evil team with dark hoods called "The Shadows", a nigh-unwinnable first rival battle if you picked the wrong starter, and a raging douchebag of a rival who just mows down grunts despite having no experience with Pokémon whatsoever. It's like this game is ticking off a checklist of bad Pokémon fangame tropes. Can't wait for more :munch:

Damanation posted:

Also I’m calling it here: subject UNO is Articuno. They will refer to Zapdos as DOS and Moltres as TRES to continue the naming scheme.
That sounds very likely and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Wow, what a mess. Seconding Quackles that "Professor Log" is cute/clever though.

This is just... ugh, this is why you don't make these things starters. Although I'm pretty impressed that you found a method to get through that rival fight, that looked like complete bullshit. (Honestly, I kind of like this sort of gimmicky battle in the right context, but this isn't it. This doesn't seem intended, it just seems like they didn't bother to think at all about the capabilities of these pokemon before throwing them in as starters.)

Carpator Diei posted:

Barely out of the tutorial and we have Pokémon murdering people, an evil team with dark hoods called "The Shadows", a nigh-unwinnable first rival battle if you picked the wrong starter, and a raging douchebag of a rival who just mows down grunts despite having no experience with Pokémon whatsoever. It's like this game is ticking off a checklist of bad Pokémon fangame tropes. Can't wait for more :munch:

Also, this. They're really not wasting any time here.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The evil team locked us up with pokemon that are willing to help us escape? Typical.
Rival quickly becomes a jerk once he has a pokemon? OK.
The evil leader has his pokemon lethally punish failure? Clashes with point 1, but otherwise checks out.

The enemy HQ is hidden right next to the starter town, and the authority figure we told about it seems to have no intention of doing anything about it? For some reason, that mixture is what I have the most trouble with at the moment. Of course, for all I know Professor Log is going to throw out a plan to deal with Shadow at the start of the next update, or he'll turn out to be evil and this was supposed to be what gives him away to attentive players (the official games did something like that before).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Randalor posted:

More rivals should be like Green from Pokemon Adventures and just swindle the player for all their money.

I posit: a fangame about Pokémon where you play either a high-class phantom thief and/or a classy con artist. That would be interesting.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm gonna be the contrarian here and say I don't like that the professor is named 'Log'. There are loving hundreds of species of trees out there, jackasses, if you didn't want to think about it you could have at least grabbed a handful and put them on a loving dartboard. But no, go ahead and be lazy to the point of parody, that works, I guess.

The fact he explicitly states he studies 'stats' and 'capture rates' just further infuriates me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Professor Log should be the name of a Pokemon "professor" who clearly didn't go to Pokemon Grad School and knows gently caress-all about anything regarding Pokemon.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

hopeandjoy posted:

No surprises here, the grunt isn't burned alive in the non-edgy version. Granted, the alternative may be more horrifying depending on your own viewpoint.

In the non-edgy version, the leader guy orders Houndoom to drag the grunt to the lab in order to be experimented on and turned into something called a Shadow Warrior.

Other than that, everything else was the same.

Damanation posted:

It's hard to get a bead on what personality the rival is supposed to have actually. He seems pretty assholish sometimes, but he also seems pretty respectful whenever you beat him.

hopeandjoy posted:

No, it was pretty bad.

Don't feel too bad. I somehow managed to get 1-shot in my first attempt at fighting him. Beldum has that new Steel Move which hosed over my Larvitar. Larvitar is able to fight back with Bite, but I still only managed to squeak through by scoring a lucky critical during my second attempt. Larvitar survived with only 3HP (and by using the berry). It's pretty stupid to have this first battle be won through luck. Although I guess first rival battles do rely almost entirely on that anyway.

You made the right call by forcing through to get that victory. You're going to need that precious experience for what's coming.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 15, 2021

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Professor Log should be the name of a Pokemon "professor" who clearly didn't go to Pokemon Grad School and knows gently caress-all about anything regarding Pokemon.

And, that is why I love "'Prof.' Log".

If they're willing to go to the mats on your first rival fight, I suspect the first gym might just be an icy one.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Psycho Knight posted:

Don't feel too bad. I somehow managed to get 1-shot in my first attempt at fighting him. Beldum has that new Steel Move which hosed over my Larvitar. Larvitar is able to fight back with Bite, but I still only managed to squeak through by scoring a lucky critical during my second attempt. Larvitar survived with only 3HP (and by using the berry). It's pretty stupid to have this first battle be won through luck. Although I guess first rival battles do rely almost entirely on that anyway.

You made the right call by forcing through to get that victory. You're going to need that precious experience for what's coming.

Actually, this raises a question: does this game use the new or old type charts? It'd certainly affect that fight's difficulty, since Bite may or may not be super effective on Beldum.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Epicmissingno posted:

Actually, this raises a question: does this game use the new or old type charts? It'd certainly affect that fight's difficulty, since Bite may or may not be super effective on Beldum.

This game uses Gen 8 mechanics, outside of un-nerfing moves that were nerfed in Gen 6.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Quackles posted:

I posit: a fangame about Pokémon where you play either a high-class phantom thief and/or a classy con artist. That would be interesting.

If you also get to use pokemon in non-intuitive ways, you could just call it Green's Adventures (she has been shown to fly with the help of JIgglypuff (understandable) and BLASTOISE on different occasions, has used Ditto to act as a perfect disguise at least once, and carried 7 pokemon at least once). Girl just gives 0 fucks about the rules.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was alright. Could be better, but alright for now. Would be nicer if Filler wasn't such a jackass, but hey, we're at least in pretty solid territory now. If this doesn't pull a Reborn and start throwing Sunflora and Skiplooms instead of something useful, it'll at least be a fun romp.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
I wouldn't be surprised if this game's maker played Insurgence, saw the scene in the intro where the cultist got incinerated by a Houndoom, and thought "That was cool, I want that exact scene in my game!"

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
So if you had picked Beldum at the start, would you have had to face a Gible with fire fang?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Beldum has that new Steel Move which hosed over my Larvitar. Larvitar is able to fight back with Bite, but I still only managed to squeak through by scoring a lucky critical during my second attempt. Larvitar survived with only 3HP (and by using the berry).

Da_Higg posted:

So if you had picked Beldum at the start, would you have had to face a Gible with fire fang?
I'm starting to get the feeling that the player might just be intended to lose the first rival battle, perhaps as a motivation to become strong enough to beat him one day; but a not-clearly-flagged unwinnable boss fight is lovely in its own right.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Arceus drat it, I can't believe fangames honestly use it unironically. Gible will take a bit to be useful, but I'm sure you can get the EQ TM around the 3rd Gym... r-right?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Carpator Diei posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that the player might just be intended to lose the first rival battle, perhaps as a motivation to become strong enough to beat him one day; but a not-clearly-flagged unwinnable boss fight is lovely in its own right.

Professor Log does give you a Repel if you lose the rival battle but you don’t get anything (except exp and money from the fight itself) if you win.

Of course there’s not much point in using a Repel in the first route because you’re giving up the exp so :shrug:.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

hopeandjoy posted:

Professor Log does give you a Repel if you lose the rival battle but you don’t get anything (except exp and money from the fight itself) if you win.

Of course there’s not much point in using a Repel in the first route because you’re giving up the exp so :shrug:.

Giving you the Repel if you lose that battle is a serious dick move on the part of the game. There's a bit of a gauntlet between you and the first town with a gym in it. You need to be battling everything that comes your way.

On the plus side, at least it's a free Repel. You could always sell it for cash (which you will be desperately trying to scrape together in this game).

Da_Higg posted:

Yes. It's the typical First Rival Battle, where they take whatever Pokemon has type advantage over yours, except that it's a fan game so that means the Rival's mon will start with the effective move instead of learning it in-between Fights 1 and 2.

If Beldum -> He'll take Gible and screw you with Fire Fang

If Larvitar -> He'll take Beldum and screw you with Steely Hit (or whatever the FakeMove is named). Even though Larvitar has Bite, which is x2 against Beldum in GenVIII, Beldum has a solid base Defence, which blunts the super-effective damage.

If Gible -> He'll take Larvitar and likely win the damage race with Bite, since Gible's only attack moves are x0.5 against him

It's a real janky starter trio to go with, but as others have noted, it seems designed to make sure that the rival will beat you more often than you'll beat him. A first rival battle should be the opposite, because it gives your starter Pokemon a valuable bump in Exp right out of the gate. That Exp bump is good because you only have your starter to rely on until the game arbitrarily decides that you are allowed to have Pokeballs.

Carpator Diei posted:

I thought for sure that this was the case when I first lost. May the good lord help you if you ended up using that berry during the 2-on-2 match with the grunt.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 3: Around Town

: And now that he's gone, who'll run my errands for me?

I don't know, someone who's job it is to do that?

: Aha!

Not really, no.

Ugh, fine.

: In Bellin Town at the Poke Mart, there is a package waiting for me. I need you to pick it up. I would get it myself, however, like I said previously, I am too old to travel. I have already informed the clerk that I am not going to get it myself, but he insisted that it must be picked up from Bellin Town. It should not be too hard for you since you have your own Pokemon. Ho ho ho!

: It's not that far, just down the road. But before you go anywhere, you should check in with your mother. She is likely very worried about you. Good luck, Madoka. My studies depend on you.

Having given us these tasks, he walks off.

Rather than hopping right to it, I instead go to explore the town.

NPC: You can play ROM Hacks with an in-game clock on almost any device!

I will not rest until I can play romhacks with an in-game clock on my literal toaster.

First thing's first, time to check out the lab.

Aide: Did you know your Pokemon have hidden stats called Effort Values and Individual Values?

I mean, yes, but it feels kinda weird when they're brought up in universe like this. Especially since the official terms for them in the games aren't EVs and IVs...

:shrug: Might as well.

The screen shows the base stats of Gible as a species as well as Nibbles' EVs and IVs. IVs have a maximum value of 31 and a minimum value of 0, so as seen before, he has a perfect Attack IV, a decent Defense IV, middling to bad Special Attack and Speed, bad Special Defense, and godawful HP. I'm sure the HP IV won't bite us in the rear end after that first rival fight ever again.

I'm not sure how I feel about this info being laid out in universe. It's good info to have but at the same time it feels... Inauthentic. Even the post game IV checker in SwSh doesn't show the numbers.

Aide: You want this device for yourself?

I mean not really but-

Aide: I'll have you know Prof. Log and I toiled day and night to create this device! I can't just go around handing it out to just anyone, you know! However... If you were to satisfy part of Prof. Log's request... Say... register at least 100 different species as captured in your Pokedex? If you can do that, I will let you have this device.

........that's not my normal playstyle so I doubt I'll ever get there.

Aide: how well their stats grow. These values are indicated by a letter grading on a Pokemon's Summary Screen.

Aide: worst.

This is a pretty typical mod in FireRed romhacks. While I prefer that IV checks are post canon and also not really discussed in universe so directly as numbers, it's better. We've already seen these when I first showed Nibbles' summary screen.

Aide: He even managed to upgrade the Pokedex to display the base stats of every Pokemon.

The numbers existing in universe just feels so cold, you know?

: She is likely very worried about you.

gently caress that, let's keep exploring.

NPC: Then don't forget to take any items out of your PC before you go!

...wasn't this game advertised to me as having infinite bag space? Oh well, I better check it out, it is tradition.

After I visit Filler's house, that is.

Melony: You're Madoka, right? I've heard about you from Filler. He told me about how you helped him out earlier. It's rare for my brother to respect anyone, but he seems to respect you.

Much like Blue has his sister Daisy, Filler has Melony. It still feels weird that Filler apparently hadn't known Madoka well before the game considering they live in a town with three houses and a lab and from what I can gather so far, Filler's lived here at least 13 years.

That's it in this house, so I move on.

NPC: The only problem is that it's blocked by some skinny tree. I just wish I knew how to get past it.

Yay, Cut. At least documentation promises we don't have to teach HMs to use them in this game, just have a Pokemon able to learn it in our team...

Sign: Don't walk away from these signs until you've read them completely! Every single one has important information that will help you out during your adventure. Skipping text on these signs will likely cost you!

Ok, that's nice but what's down here in this house?

Oh come on, I wasn't even trying to leave...

: I told you to check in with your mother! ... Don't look at me like that. Didn't your mother ever teach you to listen to your elders? Go see her!

Ugh, fine, fine.

Mom: I was really worried about you! ... Wow... That sounds awfully frightening! I'm really glad you're safe now! Before you do anything else, you should take a nice, long rest.

And we get a heal from resting at Mom's, as usual. I'm pretty sure the PC's mom is using Mary's sprite from HGSS.

Mom: Much more rested to run Prof. Log's errand for him!

Mom: I always knew that day would come when you would leave home... It said so on TV. If only your father could see you now... he'd be so proud!

Mom: need this!

Mom: It keeps track of anything you've been asked to do! To use it, just open it up from the Start Menu.

Mom: And now that you have one, why don't we have it keep a record of Prof. Log's request for you?

I don't actually mind the idea of tracked side quests in a Pokemon game. It's actually a feature I've been wanting for a while in the actual games. We'll see how it turns out here.

Mom: on the floor of your room. I know it wasn't necessary before, but now that you have your very own Pokemon, you'll need it if you want to use those stat-boosting items in battle.

...thanks, I guess? I don't know what the purpose of withholding this is. It's entirely possible I missed a hidden item in the base, but you can't even get an X-item before this point so... why even withhold it? It's not like this is something that had to be unlocked in FRLG.

Mom: But unlike those cheap bags from the Poke Mart that can only hold 42 items, the Super Cube, or as it's more commonly known, Cube, has an infinite amount of space! It works by digitizing the item's data put into it, so essentially, it's like you're carrying nothing extra at all!

I don't mind the "items are digitized" explanation because it's probably a characteristic that items share in canon, seeing as they can be found in Poke Balls and stored in PCs, but it seems weird to create a whole new item when... Post gen 4 bags are just infinite for no reason at all. They could've just had the PC carry a bag with no handwave needed.

The main story of the hack is said to be 100% complete and the postgame 90% complete, but some of these minor features are still missing. According to mom, this is for carrying clothes to customize our PC, so it's not a big loss.

Finally released from Mom's lecture, Madoka goes upstairs.

Unlike other PCs in the game, the one in Madoka's bedroom still has access to the Item PC. Inside is Berry Juice, which is basically a Potion that Pokemon can actually use when held. I will forget to give it to Nibbles, but that doesn't really matter.

TV: A swarm of Stantler have appeared around Route 8! This is a rare opportunity to get your hands on a Stantler, so don't pass this up! ... This message is sponsored by Cube Corp.

TVs tell us about swarms. Who knows if this will ever matter to me.

Nothing like a little 15 year old gaming to get the blood pumping!

:negative:

Poster: If you're confused, ask for help! Talk to people!

The mission list looks like this and gives summaries of all missions and lets us know if they are active or complete.

Finally, we can enter the last house without getting stopped.

NPC: My gramma told me you're leaving Frozen Heights! It'll be so lonely around here with no one to play with... I'll miss you!

NPC: I heard from your mother that you're finally leaving town! This is very exciting news!

NPC: great Pokemon Trainer! Who knows? Perhaps you may even come to command the great Arceus, just as he did... The road to that point will be long and arduous, but I have faith that you can and will make it there!

Well, that's confirmation that the dude in the intro is our dad. And also that him having Arceus was common knowledge I guess? You'd think that would be a bigger deal in a world where people swear in its name. Is it the Abrahamic god, or is it just a Pokemon???? (The answer is that people who just one-on-one copy Arceus over to how people in the west talk about the Abrahamic god never think that far ahead.)

NPC: It is a rare gemstone that can power up a single attack in battle. Use it wisely.

We get a Dragon Gem!

...Nibbles has no Dragon moves to use with it!

Presumably the other starters get gems the correspond to their types. Hopefully they can actually use it immediately.

NPC: In that case, let me impart a bit of wisdom on you before you go! I'm sure you know, but with that Mission Log device your mother gave you, you can record various requests from people. Some of these people may ask you to complete a certain task some finite number of times. It may seem daunting at first, but these people really just want to know if you have satisfied their request at some point in your journey. So go on, keep exploring! You'll be amazed to see what kinds of things you can accomplish while travelling.

NPC: already done! In that case you may ask them for a reward right away. Good luck on your journey!

So at least for side quests where we have to say, save 100 times, the counter starts from game start, not from when you get the quest. That's nice.

Since this is the last house and these are the last people in town, I'm able to finally move on.

Sign: An island town in a frozen lake.

Just outside of town is the town sign.

Alright, Route 1! It's a straight shot south from Frozen Heights to Bellin Town.

See?

Plus we get our first wild Pokemon fight! I wonder what type of Route 1 Normal and Bug trash will pop up. Maybe Starly? Caterpie?

...poo poo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright we can check off "mentions IVs and EVs by that name in the first town" and "dumb explanation for things that are taken for granted in the actual games" off the list.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

... :mad:

Both Larvitar and Gible are weak to Ice. Beldum is weak to Ghost. Oh boy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At least you have fire fang.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

a pseudo-legendary starter (arguably the strongest pseudo), a shithead rival, a generic evil edgy team, pokemon violence in the first scene, getting yeeted into the plot out of loving nowhere...wow we're just checking off all the boxes eh? this is gonna be an awful game :munch:

hopeandjoy posted:

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Encounters on the very first non-town route specifically chosen to mess up your starters is rude. Not that much of a problem hopefully, but still rude.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean hey at least you get some viable mons early on. Frosslass is decent, though its stats leave something to be desired

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can only hope that this is 100% serious in trying to be a dark and edgy too-hard-4-u fangame, or it's going to 100% take the piss out of fangames like that. Sadly it looks like its leaning more towards the former than the latter right now. Hopefully its not too ball-bustingly hard.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I like the idea of encountering ice pokemon so early on when usually you don't seem them until late game. But man it's so rude to do it with these starters.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I mean hey at least you get some viable mons early on. Frosslass is decent, though its stats leave something to be desired

Frosslass is why I caught a Snorunt in this game. I figured it would be a decent team member until mid-game.

Then I remembered that Frosslass needs a Dawn Stone. Who wants to bet that we won't see a Dawn Stone until gym 4 or 5? You might be better off hoping to hit level 42 first and getting a Glalie.

I personally hate the IV/EV thing being discussed outright in games. It takes the magic away from Pokémon. It's the same thing when fan games talk about how Pokémon are just data because they get digitized in the PC and when trading. Sucks all the fun and wonder out of this world.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 15, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hey Psycho Knight, I know you're not too far ahead, but remember that OP is playing blind.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Leraika posted:

Hey Psycho Knight, I know you're not too far ahead, but remember that OP is playing blind.

It’s ok because in my last play session I’ve gotten through there but this is true. Please try to wink wink nudge nudge a little less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Sorry. I tried to keep to stuff that you only mentioned in the update.

That's my bad.