Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Honestly, while I would change the aide's dialogue to be less... blatant about it, I don't mind the screen that outright shows you what your current EVs/IVs are. I don't play competitive myself but I've heard plenty of stories about how obnoxious, frustrating, and overall obtuse that side of the game can be, so anything that makes it even a little more transparent is good in my books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I mean, it's the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a Professor's lab.
"We're doing research on Pokémon genetics."

Maybe the prof could give you a ditto later on.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Then I remembered that Frosslass needs a Dawn Stone. Who wants to bet that we won't see a Dawn Stone until gym 4 or 5? You might be better off hoping to hit level 42 first and getting a Glalie.

IIRC even reborn gives you access to stones really early on, so I kind of assumed this game would do the same.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The reason I don't like character in universe talking about base stats and EVs and IVs, outside of the fact those are fan terms and the games use different terminology to refer to them, is just that it feels like characters are reducing Pokemon to numbers in universe. Of course, in reality we all know that as a video game and an RPG, a Pokemon battle is just you and the AI (or another person) bashing some numbers and math together until one set of numbers wins, but in universe, this isn't the case. In universe, Pokemon are supposed to be animals and while we rate animals with numbers (the peregrine falcon can fly at speeds of 200 mph! the bite strength of a wolf is 12000 psi!) that's still not the same as Professor Log stating "the base stats are the most important part".

I wouldn't even necessarily mind them straight up giving you the numbers if it was just a function of the Pokedex or summary screen - it's the fact it was developed in universe.

Contrast this with the canon games, who when tutorializing these things will have an npc mention off hand things like "my friend and I both caught a Pikachu but mine seems a little faster and hers a little more sturdy! It's amazing how Pokemon are all individuals too!" or "a Pokemon you've raised with loving care will be stronger than a newly caught one, but the newly caught one will catch up in time. That's the power of a Trainer!", which conveys the important parts of IVs and EVs to a casual player without ripping away the window dressing and talking about how IVs have a value ranging from 0 to 31.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It all comes down to how the information is presented. The fact that the game talks about game mechanics in terms of how we as players would discuss them instead of speaking as you would imagine they would "in universe" is why they look bad. There is no feasible way that in the continuity of Pokémon you would have people discussing IVs and EVs because those are not natural words to use when talking about what are in the universe natural thing.

Honestly if the game just had IV and EV values built into the status screen and was done with it it would work better than getting them by talking to an NPC. If you think about it the status screen is not exactly a diegetic thing itself so there's no tonal issues. Alternately you could have talking to the NPC give you the S through E rankings for IVs and just not show them at all by the default status screen. Or alternately have getting exact values be an unlockable thing, they're studying Pokémon genetics and epigenetics so if you help them out by doing [thing] they can progress their research and give you better information.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

serefin99 posted:

Honestly, while I would change the aide's dialogue to be less... blatant about it, I don't mind the screen that outright shows you what your current EVs/IVs are. I don't play competitive myself but I've heard plenty of stories about how obnoxious, frustrating, and overall obtuse that side of the game can be, so anything that makes it even a little more transparent is good in my books.

That's basically my view of this stuff. I would rather have the actual numbers available for those who want them, via an easily accessible method, and prefer that the actual pocket monsters themselves not be reduced to "big stick" and "electric stick" by in-universe speech. The unnatural language really stands out. I remember Insurgence mostly getting it right (after a really rough start, which is just a good way to describe Insurgence) with storing those values on each mon's screen. As somebody who was once into the Pokemon stat game and with a friend who very much still is, anything that makes the process of getting bigger numbers easier is welcome.

Really, that's just a good proviso for RPG design. If your product centers on "make big number", make it as easy as possible to see and keep track of that, especially if you're breeding mons/bots/widgets/whatever.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The way it's presented is fine if it's one location. The issue comes in when it was like...Uranium I wanna say? Where every so often some douchebag would make a reference to EVs. A hallmark of bad romhack writing is seeing poo poo like that all over.

IDK. I'm kinda alright with this so far.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I basically remembered that Snorunt evolved into Glalie, and Froslass as a secondary line. And generally, a secondary line is harder to reach than the primary line, so my first thought was also 'the creator is not going to give you a way to evolve into Froslass, right?'

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The way it's presented is fine if it's one location. The issue comes in when it was like...Uranium I wanna say? Where every so often some douchebag would make a reference to EVs. A hallmark of bad romhack writing is seeing poo poo like that all over.

I don't remember if Uranium did this (though it honestly wouldn't surprise me), but I know for absolute fact Insurgence went absolutely hogwild with it, to the point a character produces a syringe of "HP-strain" Pokerus.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Insurgence sort of got away with it because the rest of the writing and general feel of the game created enough reasonable doubt that it was possible the stat talk was meant as parody, and that it was possibly a fourth wall breaking joke for the player rather than a normal in-universe feature. This game hasn't earned that goodwill by being actually decent yet, so we're judging more harshly. Pretty sure we reacted the same way in early Insurgence and came to forgive it later, but it was a very long game and I don't remember.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Something I don't think people in the thread have mentioned yet: this starting town seems quite nice.

NPCs giving friendly advice, a nice reference to the "technology is amazing" guy in every mainline pokemon game, y'know.

It feels like a breath of fresh air to have a romhack starting town that isn't the ruins of a nuclear war or like a town run by an evil gang or what have you.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Carbon dioxide posted:

Something I don't think people in the thread have mentioned yet: this starting town seems quite nice.

NPCs giving friendly advice, a nice reference to the "technology is amazing" guy in every mainline pokemon game, y'know.

It feels like a breath of fresh air to have a romhack starting town that isn't the ruins of a nuclear war or like a town run by an evil gang or what have you.

That's true. Our mom isn't even dead or kidnapped yet!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Or batshit crazy. Can't forget that one from Uranium.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 5: Errands

Ok, all joking aside, I didn't actually have trouble with this route thanks to Nibbles' Fire Fang.

Being Route 1, it's a straight shot to Bellin Town outside of having to go up and down some stairs.

We also pick up an Ice Heal along the way.

It's entirely possible that I just got lucky with the RNG since everything went down in two hits, but Nibbles never got hit with a since Ice attack. Outside of Snorunt, Vanillite also live on the route.

Sign: Hold B to change the default movement speed! Press L to toggle auto-run!

I've already actually changed L in the options to use a secondary registered item, mostly because I don't expect to ever not want to run.

Finally we make it to the entrance of Icicle Cave, which is just north of our destination.

NPC: Prof. Log phoned ahead and told me to guide you if you got lost. Bellin Town is just over that way.

The camera pans south to the entrance to Bellin Town.

NPC: If you want to set out on a journey through Icicle Cave, prove you're ready by delivering Prof. Log's package to him

And thus we finally enter Bellin Town.

Sign: A quiet town nestled deep in the mountains.

NPC: The Pokemon Center heals your Pokemon for free. The Poke Mart sells useful items for Trainers. In most other towns, the two buildings can be distinguished by their unique red and blue colors.

In Bellin Town, the Pokemon Center and the Mart have their roofs covered by snow like the houses.

Sign: Open the Options menu to enable Save Prompts and Auto-HMs! If Save Prompts are turned on, you will be asked if you'd like to save before or after important events! If Auto-HMs are turned on, Field moves can be used without needing confirmation each use! Additionally, L and R can be used to scroll through pages of options!

These are actually nice features. The Save Prompts are also useful in giving me an idea of good stopping points for updates and play sessions, on a purely practical note.

I see the TM and I desperately try to get around the house to get to it. As far as I can tell, there's no way to do so and I believe we get it from a side quest. I need to go back and see if the Poke Ball disappears after I complete it though.

So I go into the house.

NPC: Every few days, this horrible Pokemon has been coming into my house and stealing my food. If I had a Pokedex, I could know what it is and how to stop it... If you get a Pokedex, would you come back and help me?

Noted.

NPC: I'm always so bored at home.

NPC: I think it is finally close to hatching! Any moment now, we will know which Pokemon is contained within! ... ...Nope! Not yet! Come back later!

I can't remember if I ever did come back later... Maybe when I get Fly and backtracking is less of a pain...

: It says here that Articuno was once used as a herald to a great darkness, but now it resides near Frozen Heights.

A hometown hero, eh? ...Or a hometown villain, I guess.

NPC: It was built from scratch by none other than my father, himself! In fact, I'll have you know he travels around Borrius building statues like this one in many different towns! My father is so cool! But still not as cool as the weather here! Ahahahaha!

NPC: When you capture a Pokemon, all damage to them is undone! Maybe if you had a Pokedex I'd be inclined to give you some!

Even though they're useless outside of the earlygame, I still really like Heal Balls. They're pretty.

Now to explore the Pokemon Center.

NPC: It's free of charge for Trainers, so go right ahead and use it. Some facilities use the Pokemon Porygon instead.

He then shows the player a picture of Porygon so you know what to look out for. Eagle eyed readers probably noticed the one in Professor Log's lab.

NPC: These determine how well they stack up against other Pokemon. Pokemon types also give attacking moves a power boost if they match the Type of the move. This is known as the Same Type Attack Bonus. Moves with this bonus have their types bolded in battle. And this can be on top of the regular yellow and green effectiveness colors!

NPC: They make all Pokemon completely healthy again. Most are free, so don't be shy about healing your Pokemon. For those that aren't, well, there are always Chansey that can be found in the field.

He then shows the player a picture of a Chansey. What he means is that there are Chansey in dungeons and caves and if you interact with them, it's the equivalent of a Pokemon Center. Thanks, Chansey. :3:

NPC: I'm collectin' as many birthdays as I can. Wanna participate?

I say yes and input my actual birthday, which includes my birth year. I have no idea what this does. Maybe we'll find out if this LP lasts until July.

Speaking of healing, I finally heal up from the route. Filler isn't really down much HP, but I wanted to restore Fire Fang's PP.

Upstairs are still the communication features, now useless due to the fact this is a romhack.

Cops.

Ok let's get to what we were told to do.

: I want to buy it from you.

Clerk: That package belongs to someone already.

: Give me that package! I won't ask again.

Clerk: As a faithful employee of Poke Mart, it goes against what I stand for to give you that package!

: Well then...

: Grab that package!

: Take this for your trouble.

: What? You came to get that package, too?

Look, I need to progress the plot.

: I'm going to put you in your place!

Due to Fire Fang, this fight is a joke.

It takes two turns and all the Sneasel does to Nibbles is a Taunt and a Scratch.

: This Repel is what's in the stupid package. ...Nothing else in here, nope! Just take it already.

Well, that was clearly a lie but I'll take it, I guess.

The grunt then flees.

Clerk: ... You're here for Prof. Log's package? Sorry, it... uh... hasn't come in yet. Could you come back later?

I saw the robbery, my dude.

NPC: Who was he?

NPC: You never know when you'll be in a pinch and need some quick healing.

And don't I know it.

Right, so there's nothing left to do here so we have no choice but to go back to Frozen Heights.

There were three people in the store.

: Some Trainer tried to grab the package from me, but I tricked her by giving her a Repel. There's no way she could've caught on to my ruse...

: The last thing we need right now is the police on our trails. We've been working on this for far too long to be stopped now.

: Report back to Zeph and inform him of my current status.

I guess Madoka heard all that, because what we need to do now is go north of Frozen Heights.

All the way north.

Since Marlon has helpfully Cut the tree for us, we can follow him.

Unfortunately this is a miniature Point of No Return (probably to prevent the tree from respawning), so I hope you healed if your Pokemon is close to fainting!

Up the stairs we go.

: A howling blizzard. A world frozen. Heed my call! Articuno! Sankren fimbulvetr! Come to me!

I guess the secret to summoning Articuno is to yell titles at it, so here it is.

: Restrain it!

The two robed people do just that.

Aricuno is then captured in once go.

: Let's report back to Zeph.

: What are you doing here? Grunts! One of you, get rid of her!

And we have another grunt battle.

And we end another grunt battle.

: I bought enough time for everyone else to escape. But nice try, kid. Take this package as a consolation prize. We've taken what we needed from it.

After we receive the package, the grunt runs off.

But I wanna see what's up here!

Having been blocked by invisible plot gates, I go back to the lab.

: It's a shipment from my friend, Oak in the Kanto region! Let's see here... Poke Balls, Pokedexes, and... huh? Where are the Master Balls?

: Then where are my Master Balls? Clearly someone was rummaging about in here!

Wow, rude.

: ... Ah, I see...

: And they must have taken the Master Balls...

That explains how it was so easy for Marlon to catch Articuno.

: You saw them use one to capture Articuno? Hmm... If I'm correct, we could be in grave danger...

: An old friend of my mine lives in Dresco Town. He has a vast knowledge of Borrian history. I need you to tell him of everything that's transpired thus far. I have a theory about what is going on, but I need him to confirm it. You have your own Pokemon now, so this shouldn't be too difficult.

: How can I expect you to find Icicle Cave if you don't know the way? This Town Map should aid you immensely!

: If you're going to Dresco Town, you should assist me with another task! My friend, Oak requested that I give his Pokedex to two trainers. It's some sort of high-tech encyclopedia for recording Pokemon data. Apparently, Borrius is known for having plenty of Pokemon Kanto does not.

Yay, the ability to catch other Pokemon!

: Pokedex. Or, as it's more commonly known, the West Borrius Pokedex. Pokemon that only appear in East Borrius are conspicuously left out.

: existence! Ho ho ho!

: Personally, I don't mind if you record data in the Pokedex simply by seeing Pokemon. However, if you want complete data on Pokemon, including the base stats of each species - the most important thing about Pokemon, you'll need to catch them.

Well, personally I think appearance is the most important thing about Pokemon, but you do you I guess...

: mine on Route 1 can show you how.

: If you ever meet her, she can upgrade your Pokedex and make it easier to encounter Pokemon you are looking for.

: My memory seems to be going... I have one more thing to give you. Please, the next time you see Filler, give him this Pokedex.

: as a child, but he seems to get along fine with you. I'm sure if you give him the Pokedex, he'd be willing to assist.

And with that I'm finally free of this speech...

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2021

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That was among one of the worse robberies I've ever seen.

Too bad everyone's dumb or lazy enough to allow its success, including the PC.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

hopeandjoy posted:

: A howling blizzard. A world frozen. Heed my call! Articuno! Sankren fimbulvetr! Come to me!

Oh, we're doing Ragnarok again. How original. I love Norse myths too but there are others. Hell, there's literally another fangame LP (Pokemon Zeta) using the theme going on right now, even if it is probably dead.

Also why is there so much tutorial stuff? This is a fangame. Nobody's going to be playing it if they're so unfamiliar with canon that they don't know what the Pokemon Centre does.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm impressed at the weird whiplashy nature of the spiteful difficulty curve.

"Pick Gible unless you want your starter to have utter shite for moves!"
"Oh wait, now we made everything ice type! Have fun with that 4x weakness!"
"Never mind, we gave you fire fang."

I really don't understand this design sensibility at all.

The official games sometimes have a situation where one starter is poorly suited to a lot of what it faces in early areas (this goes all the way back to Charmander vs Brock), but there it's meant to encourage the player to branch out and catch things that will do better. Here, this is all happening before the player even has access to poke balls.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I am pretty sure the tm you talked about is accessed by rock climb since two spots on the wall are patterned differently then the rest.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Drashin posted:

I am pretty sure the tm you talked about is accessed by rock climb since two spots on the wall are patterned differently then the rest.

And you would be right!

I’m very bad at seeing the Rock Climb marks in this game but there are several others in the early areas.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i like the little quality of life features we've seen so far. being able to see EVs is a good change, as are porygons and save reminders.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Log sure loves talking, huh. He just kept going there for a while.

"Base stats are the most important part of a Pokemon" is something that's beyond incompatible with how the series is though and makes me dislike him intensely.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Even if it wasn't for everything else about this game, you could tell it hates fun because they didn't name his sister Anna.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 6: Through Icicle Cave

Looking at the Town map gives the layout of Borrius. I'm a little disappointed in its design; rather than being designed based off of, say, Spain or Germany, to match its backstory, it's mostly just a video game land.

We return to Bellin Town to pick up this side quest now that we have the Pokedex.

NPC: Every few days, this horrible Pokemon has been coming into my house and stealing my food. I could stop it if I had a Pokemon of my own, but unfortunately I have none.

NPC: Oh! I just had an idea! Would you be able to...

NPC: There it is again! It's come to steal more food!

The Sandslash slashes at the girl, which pushes her away.

NPC: Daddy, it hurt me!

NPC: Daddy's not going to let that Pokemon hurt you anymore.

NPC: be extremely grateful! There might even be a little something in it for you as well...

And thus we obtain the side quest.

We're going there anyway, so it works out.

Finally, I pick up those Heal Balls for the precious, precious pink.

And also do my shopping. I pick up 5 more Poke Balls, 5 Potions, and 3 of each of the status healing items we can get.

I return to the entrance of Icicle Cave and talk to the old man who was blocking it before.

NPC: Oh, what's this? I can see that Prof. Log has entrusted you with your very own Poke Balls. I used to be a whiz Trainer back in my day.

I accidentally mash A too fast and hit yes. :(

A catching tutorial then occurs.

NPC: this Poke Ball I acquired in my younger days.

It all works out though, because I get a Quick Ball, the most broken ball type.

With that we finally enter Icicle Cave.

And when we do, we get a quick cutscene of the Sandslash digging a hole into the wall.

NPC: Take time to explore Icicle Cave. It may not seem that big, but it is larger than it appears! Why in fact, just the other day, I saw a Pokemon burrow its way through the wall to what must be an entirely new cave!

Well, into that entirely new cave we go.

We see the Sandslash leave the cave through this exit.

Along the way is this tablet.

Interacting with it brings up this Braille. The Braille translates to: THE PLATE IS THE KEY.

I finally choose to catch my second Pokemon.

Say hi to Betty the Zubat everyone!

She has good potential, statwise...

And an awful Zubat movepool that means she can't do anything to anyone in this cave. Leech Life has been nerfed back to its pre-gen 7 lovely-ness, with an original move acting as an upgrade that matches its gen 7 buff.

Meanwhile the guy from earlier in the cave approaches the tablet. We'll talk to him later.

There's an encounter every five seconds in here because cave. I'm also reminded that Betty doesn't have any Flying moves, so she can't actually do anything to this Makuhita.

Nibbles picks up the slack. Thankfully this game has the post-gen 6 Exp Share, so we don't have to lead with Betty for her to get experience. Back in reserve she goes, at least for now.

Finally, we follow the Sandslash out of the exit.

Aw, it seems it was stealing food to help feed some Sandshrew...

Feeling threatened, it attacks.

I was a little worried about this fight going in since Sandslash is an evolved Pokemon, but it leads with Bide.

Which means Nibbles can freely hit it with two 4x effective Fire Fangs, ending the battle quickly.

The man who's food was stolen appears.

NPC: I've cornered you! After that battle, you're too weak to escape! Now, return the food you stole!

NPC: Have you been stealing food for your friends and family?

NPC: I've heard it somewhere before... Ah! You must be one of those rare Ice-type Sandslash that lives up here! Have the Pokemon Rangers stopped coming to feed you? Now that I mention it, I haven't seen them around in a while...

I feel like Pokemon Rangers should know better than to feed wild Pokemon food, getting them dependent on humans...

NPC: You've been hungry because your food supply stopped coming. Let me make a deal with you, Sandslash. If you become my Pokemon and help me make an income through battling, I will support you, your friends, and your family through the money we make. Does that work for you?

The Sandslash agrees.

NPC: As promised, here's your little something.

We get a TM for Hone Claws! Hone Claws is a status move that lets the Pokemon boost its Attack and Accuracy one stage. Nibbles can learn it, but I hold off for now.

NPC: It's very foggy and hard to see in there...

I don't like the sound of that... Hopefully, it's not a Fairy gym. :ohdear:

We pose when completing a mission.

NPC: seen section of Icicle Cave? If it hadn't been for that Sandslash's sloppy digging, this place may have remained hidden for much longer. But now that it's assessible, just imagine the secrets it holds! Take this tablet, for instance. It must be at least a thousand years old, if not more. I intend to discover all the secrets held within!

Have fun. We instead return to the main part of Icicle Cave.

And go down the ladder.

Sign: Pokemon can gain Exp. Points by battling other Pokemon. Exp. Points help them grow stronger. And your Pokemon will still gain Exp. Points even if you catch a Pokemon you are battling against! But keep in mind, if your Pokemon level up too much, other Trainers will get stronger as well.

That would be hard to do without really intensive grinding because this game also has the gen 5 Exp system where you get diminishing returns as you start to out level.

Our first non-plot Trainer battle!

Fire Fang can now OHKO Snorunts.

Roggenrola is a bit trickier, but it goes down eventually too.

I'm very bad at sliding ice puzzles, but these ones are simple. Thankfully.

We pick up an Escape Rope.

Her cute Pokemon are very easily dispatched.

We encounter this Chansey, which as explained in the previous update, is a Pokemon Center in the field.

Sign: If you talk to this Chansey, your Pokemon will be fully healed! Whenever you lose a battle, you'll be returned to this point as well!

I just said that...

I'm not sure which direction is plot and which direction is dead ends with stuff in it, so I go down the ladder and then south.

Looks like I chose plot. Oops.

: Shouldn't you be running errands for Log or something? ... Oh, so you are running an errand... That cheapskate... can't do anything himself...

I don't disagree, admittedly.

: What's that? Log gave you something for me?

: Now Log's voice'll never stop echoing in my head.

: stronger because of it!

And thus begins another rival fight. I can't be mad, it was foreshadowed by a healing point existing.

Meanwhile, Nibbles finally actually gets hit with an Ice move in the Ice routes.

It hurts.

Thankfully, Fire Fang also hurts it.

Mud Slap barely does anything, but the accuracy drop is annoying.

I have Nibbles kick up a Sandstorm to try and create cover and then manage to take out the Swinub next turn before it can make me faint by using Powder Snow and force me to try and fight it and a Larvitar with a Zubat.

Nibbles finally gets some STAB. It's lovely STAB, but it exists nevertheless.

Also it's STAB that's super effective against Rock.

The first Sand Tomb misses due to both the base 85 accuracy and the drop from Swinub's Mud Slap, but the second one hits and take out most of Larvitar's health.

I get really lucky and the third one also hits, knocking out Larvitar.

: I guess filling out a Pokedex does make a difference after all...

Overall, the battle was much easier than the first rival battle, probably because Nibbles finally got some effective damage, even if it's unreliable effective damage.

: If it leads to me becoming stronger, I'll take it. When I find my parents, they'll be amazed at how far I've come. Oh, I should probably give something to thank you for bringing it to me.

: There are 8 gyms in Borrius, and if you can beat all of them, you'll be recognized as a powerful Trainer. I started my challenge already, but I had a tough time in Dresco Town. The gym leader there kept using PoisonPowder on my Pokemon, so I searched for a way to prevent them from becoming poisoned. Fortunately, I found those Pecha Berries, so if he tries anything again, my Pokemon will eat them and shake off the poison! Good luck, Madoka. Next time out paths cross, the outcome of our battle won't be the same! I promise you that!

I think the hack is trying to go for someone like Hugh, where the rival has his own goals and is rude in getting them, but nice to the player. Right now it mostly feels like he has rapid mood swings, but we'll see how things develop.

I go back up the ladder and explore the area to the right of the Chansey I skipped before.

There's an easily dispatched Black Belt, a hidden Great Ball, and a lake we can't do anything with yet.

While in this area, I encounter a wild Spheal and use the Quick Ball I got on her.

Say hi to Sphearical the Spheal.

Unlike Betty, she's usable right out of the gate.

With the power of the Defense Curl + Rollout combo, she's able to win this mirror match and against this Bergmite right out of the gate.

Beyond this Skier is a Poke Ball containing a... Poke Ball.

We then go in the direction that Filler came from.

NPC: Well, they're in like the top one percent of all Pokemon.

*groan*

Sphearical takes them all out because she's a good girl.

Sign: Any Pokemon that participates in battle receives full Exp. Points. If the Exp. Share is enabled on the Options menu, any Pokemon that didn't participate will still receive a portion of the Exp. Points earned in battle.

In short, the gen 6 method. Which is probably the more balanced method.

Down the ladder we go.

And we pick up this Super Potion in the puzzle.

Finally, we're done with Icicle Cave and exist to Route 2.

: Our current objective is to head to Cinder Volcano and help Ivory obtain specimen TRES.

: Last time, some kid noticed us and tried to interfere. I can't have that happening again. We don't have the luxury of dealing with her now. Keep a low profile at all costs, and no matter what, do not get noticed! Do I make myself clear?

That's asking a lot of evil team grunts.

Well, that seems like a problem for future Madoka.

Bonus:

Vs Rival 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsIa4vd1Xj4

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 21, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This actually seems pretty decent. The Sandslash thing was cute, the cave and handful of minipuzzles didn't seem too bullshit and the fights have been achievable. Not at all what I expect from fangames :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Sandslash thing was neat, though it left me wondering: can you catch the Sandslash? Do you get a special message if you try and it fails? It doesn't seem like the story can continue as it does if you do.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hm. After the starting hurdle, it feels... Alright?
Not really feeling the villain team so far.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I’m also curious about catching the sandslash.

I think there’s potential in the team, I thought it was cute when the grunt paid for the package after stealing it. I hope we see more of that, otherwise there’s not much characterization of it.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Arcanuse posted:

Hm. After the starting hurdle, it feels... Alright?
Not really feeling the villain team so far.

After Insurgence turned out to be alright, I'm willing to give this on the benefit of the doubt, but I'm still expecting a swerve to happen at some point.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is starting to feel like another possibly alright fangame where the edge is a pointless and unfortunate side element rather than the main course of badness.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Yeah, this doesn't seem too bad so far.
The worst part about the game so far is probably the design of the evil team grunts.

Guess we'll see how it'll develop, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The first TM being Hone Claws was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise, really. That's really not something I'd expect to see handed out for such little effort so early on.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think I'm going to go against the grain here and say that just starting out with ice sliding puzzles is a bit ehh. But I just personally really dislike them so it's not a big deal in the end. The ending to the Ice sandslash quest didn't really sit right to me tbh - I have a feeling that in a mainline game, the NPC would just share some food with the Sandslash family and wouldn't recruit it for battling like that.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

why didnt you catch the sandslash

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I love Spheal. <3

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't like how the team has been set up as really incompetent and yet wildly successful, and the early game ice route wasn't necessarily as well thought out as it could have been.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

After the Route 1 Ice path, I was half expecting Route 2 to be a swamp or something

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Can we get three more replies to push the thread to the next page?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I suppose.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm helping!