Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 10: Cinder Volcano

So. Cinder Volcano. It's big and also filled with stuff we can't access yet because we still don't have any HMs.

Going north from the entrance brings us to this crossroads.

The sparkly spot, as mentioned before, is a Zygarde cell.

And thus we get out first one. 99 more to go! (Except not really since the postgame isn't finished.)

Going through the door leads to this big lava lake.

We can follow a narrow path east to this exit.

Which leads to a Poke Ball containing a Rare Candy.

Now to progress up the ladder.

NPC: There's plenty of exposed magma everywhere.

Well, by definition, once it's exposed, it's lava. ...I'm not sure if that applies to video game volcano dungeons with pools of molten rock everywhere though.

This Revive is a godsend and also much too little. There's a lot of me scurrying to healing every other battle in the raw footage, because my team doesn't do well against all the Fire types in here.

NPC: No wonder I can't find the rare Pokemon!

NPC: should I continue on, or go home?

Well, despite my need to keep revisiting the nurse, there's only really one possible answer for Madoka.

Up another ladder.

NPC: It's too easy to start a fire!

I can't get to the item here without the ability to use Rock Smash outside of battle, unfortunately. Penny learns Rock Smash while we're in here from leveling up, but it's not enough to unlock it.

Our only choice is to continue up yet another ladder.

I can only imagine she's here to gently caress up anyone who brought multiple Water-types.

Sign: One-time use items are returned to you after important battles, such as against Gym Leaders. Use them to help strengthen your team and get an edge!

NPC: Are you afraid they could collapse under you at any moment?

The bridge above the Worker leads to plot progression, so I return to the other island and go north to reach the ladder there.

Well, those items are thoroughly locked off.

Going down and around leads us to this Battle Girl guarding the TM.

NPC: Bring your worst!

NPC: Someday, I will become the ultimate warrior.

As mentioned in Dresco Town, Incinerate can also be used to destroy Gems before they can be used. It's not a fantastic Fire move outside of that utility though.

Ok, let's catch up on plot.

: A ranging inferno. A world on fire. Sakren bolganone! Head my call! Moltres! Come to me!

Eh, in my Fire Emblem experience it's rarely worth pulling out Bolganone. Most units has such lovely Res and most mages by the time they get A rank magic can delete people just fine and much cheaper with plain old Fire and Elfire.

Moltres shows up, probably to peck at the humans in its nest.

: Restrain it!

: Let's move out.

Well I guess Madoka should do something about that.

: Release the Moltres you captured!

: It is too vital to our plans. And besides, I wouldn't belittle myself to listen to someone of the likes of you.

: Prepare for a battle!

: I'll indulge your little request. But know, when you lose, I'll have my Pokemon obliterate you! Go! Incine...

: You don't have time to fight this Trainer right now. We have a tight schedule to keep. Get going, I'll hold him at bay while you escape.

: They escaped with Moltres...

Good job, Jax.

: Did you see that? I'm a little embarrassed...

: Say... Now that you're here, why don't you and I team up?

Yeah, sure.

: You lead, and I'll follow. I'll make sure to keep us both healed up, too!

Like the partners in Gen 4, pairing up with Jax has us heal after every battle. Finally, I can stop running to the entrance constantly.

: escaping with Moltres!

This is Jax's only line if you talk to him.

We find a Calcium! I still haven't dished this out, but both Rosa and Wally are good candidates.

NPC: burning passion.

I'd be into seeing an exhibit filled with art inspired by lava, to be honest.

Another Zygarde cell.

Another area blocked off by Strength.

And another ladder.

Dusk Balls are extremely good, especially if you're a student who only really has time to play video games at night. :v: As a bonus, they also look cool.

For some reason, even though this Trainer is in an area accessible to us at this point, he was only programmed with one Pokemon, so it's a single battle with only Madoka. We still get healed afterwards, though.

I eventually figure out that this is the location of a future Strength puzzle.

Nice. Wally is our first evolution.

Kirlia is a good power increase.

NPC: The Slugma in this volcano burn hotter than the sun!

NPC: burn hotter than the sun? We'd all roast alive if they did!

Yeah, yeah, the Pokedex is stupid.

If we're being realistic, technically we all should be roasting alive from the radiant heat stuck in this volcano, what with its open pools of lava.

: I'll go ahead. Don't stay too far behind!

Well, I might as well just get going.

: Do you know nothing about type matchups?

*insert flashback to Hop here*

: Staravia, use Aerial Ace!

: Your shadowy reign of terror ends here and now! I won't let you escape from Cinder Volcano with Moltres in hand!

: Stop treating this like it's some sort of game! We're well within our rights to capture Moltres! You may have some self-righteous notion that what we're doing is "evil", but you're wrong! You simply don't understand what's at stake here...

: Someone like him could never understand what we're fighting for.

She karate-chops Jax and pushes him over a tile, I guess.

: I'm heading back to HQ. You might want to take care of that kid watching before you join me.

: still skilled enough to fight you!

: I'm going to help you out against him! I don't care if he tries to justify

Last time, the first three members of the party were automatically chosen for the battles while we were paired with Jax, this time we can choose which three. I still pick the top three because that's where I am in the leveling rotation though.

The grunt's Shiftry isn't that hard, but Marlon's Duskull is annoying as hell. It keeps spreading Confuse Ray everywhere.

Meanwhile, Jax isn't much help.

But I manage to win anyway.

: I'll retreat for now, but I won't forget this! You'll be seeing us again soon! I guarantee it...

Well, at least no one got tossed in lava.

: This isn't good. At this point, only one legendary bird remains, Zapdos. It's imperative that it gets rescued before the Shadows can capture it.

: I'll go to it right away.

: To the best of my knowledge, the Shadows are still missing the object used to seal away the dark force. A friend of mine that lives on Route 9 should know its location. Go to him, and explain the situation. I'm sure he'd be willing to help us find it before the Shadows do.

: As for you, Madoka, I want you to head to Thundercap Mt. and save Zapdos. You've proven yourself by defending Jax in Cinder Volcano, and I think you're up to the task. You can get to Thundercap Mt. by taking the highway southeast from the next town over, Cater Town. If you don't hurry the Borrius region will be doomed.

: I'll let your mother know what the situation is.

: should be able to give you a ride back up to Cinder Volcano.

And thus we're dropped back off at the exit.

Bonus:

Vs. Marlon and Grunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enhFITOhwNQ

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel we're going head on into a plot twist about the bad guys actually having the right objective and we're the real bad guys for trying to stop them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

On one hand this game earns big points for actually letting you fight and beat the bad people and send them scurrying. On the other hand it's not exactly fun when victory doesn't stop them from succeeding. On the third hand I don't actually hate this dungeon, these trainers, and the fact you actually have a partner who helps out and provides Gen 4 style heals and isn't a sexpest.

Once again I feel like saying that this game would probably be fine if you just smoothed out all the edge and ejected some of the lame fangame faff. I'm actually interested in future updates for reasons beyond disaster tourism.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I just have the feeling the plot is going way too fast. It feels like the bad guys' plans are 2/3 complete and we're fresh out of the first gym still.

This has to be just setup for the actual plan though.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

that was a cool volcano.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel we're going head on into a plot twist about the bad guys actually having the right objective and we're the real bad guys for trying to stop them.

that might be interesting if we actually showed any ability to stop them whatsoever

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Leraika posted:

that might be interesting if we actually showed any ability to stop them whatsoever

What are you talking about? I'm sure we'll be able to stop them next time! :downs:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Space Kablooey posted:

I just have the feeling the plot is going way too fast. It feels like the bad guys' plans are 2/3 complete and we're fresh out of the first gym still.

This has to be just setup for the actual plan though.

Maybe there's a Final Fantasy 6 'World of Ruin' style twist.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Get the feeling there's some infighting going on in the villain group. Or at least they aren't all on the same page.
E: Probably the latter, thinking about it.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 22, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Quackles posted:

Maybe there's a Final Fantasy 6 'World of Ruin' style twist.

I honestly wouldn't mind that if they kept to the usual tone of Pokémon. "Well crap, the continent went all Cinnabar Island all of a sudden, but if we all work together with our magical animal friends we can get through this!"

You know, roughly the opposite of every edgy fan game this franchise has ever spat out.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I do like "we're within our rights to capture this wild Pokemon", something about that gives me a solid chuckle.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Faillen Angel posted:

I do like "we're within our rights to capture this wild Pokemon", something about that gives me a solid chuckle.

I think the anime's had a few moments like that.

'Oh no, Team Rocket are stealing these pokemon!'
'...no, we're catching them. Like you do every week.'

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Faillen Angel posted:

It's a similar feeling to one villain in Insurgence, I think, pointing out he just used a Master Ball to catch a legendary Pokemon. It's a weirdly grounded moment where gameplay and story actually do work together, but not from your side, which is always hilarious.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I dunno. I feel like if you see someone whom you know uses animals for abusive and nefarious ends attempt to get a new animal, its fair to raise a fuss over that. In Pokemon, that just happens to take the form of battling them with your own animals.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Arcade Rabbit posted:

In Pokemon, that just happens to take the form of battling them with your own animals.

Point of order, we befriend our Pokemon (with superior firepower, yes, but according to B&W lore wild 'mons wouldn't even bother to jump us if they didn't want the chance to join our party in the first place). You want to play the version of the game where we actually do vague horrible things to adorable critters, play the PETA parody.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

pokemon are not animals they are your friends :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aren't Jessie and James shown actually bonding with their pokemon in the anime though? So... yeah, they're literally just doing the same thing the heroes are doing if they're catching wild pokemon.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah Jessie and James have an underlying joke of "would be actually good trainers if they weren't compelled to try dumb schemes" as the anime went on.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 11: Nothing Happens

Welcome to an update where we go through a route.

Sign: Talk to Lapras to ride it down the waterfall!

I very desperately want Rosa and Penny to evolve this play session, to the point that I make sure to set my computer's clock to its day. It doesn't happen and by the end of it they are getting very long in the tooth for a Budew and Riolu.

The Lapras we need to ride to get to the next route is here, but I ignore it for now in favor of exploring the other side of the summit.

NPC: Most people say he's a bad influence on children, but I couldn't be happier!

Sigh.

: Go away.

Well, nothing else to worry about here.

No seriously, that's all the Grunt says and all you can do about him. I guess Madoka just doesn't give a poo poo.

Trying to interact with this Lapras doesn't actually do anything.

The main one takes you down to Route 5, though.

I pick up a Super Potion, which is always helpful.

The Daycare is on this Route as well. The path through to Crater Town is a little confusing though, I guess because they wanted to stick to that half a route, half a forest theme?

NPC: We must be in a forest! It's times like these I wish I had a Town Map...

I feel like leaving home to explore the wilderness is a very bad idea without a map.

NPC: Groan... That volcano takes a lot out of you! Let me heal your Pokemon so they don't get tired like me.

NPC: Take care of yourself.

He's our free heal for the route. It's nice that the game basically gives you one a route, because the level curve keeps Trainers right about where you are, which means you're always accumulating damage.

NPC: It's the most important day of the week. Some people skip leg day, but those people are wrong. Walking is the best way to work out your legs.

I might as well.

NPC: Awesome! Now walk at least 150000 steps to really work those calves.

Sign: Keep an eye out for trees with a shady area between them! These indicate Hidden Grottos can be found there! These special areas have been appearing en masse ever since the meteorite strike. Simply interact with trees and prepare to face a tough Pokemon! And in fact, if you use Cut, you'll even find one on this route! So earn the Vision Badge from the Crater Town Gym, and then come back here to find it!

Hmm. I'll have to remember this.

(Spoiler: I don't remember this in this play session.)

NPC: My beauty will blind you.

NPC: They're raring to go!

I don't think I've ever used the Daycare for the sole purpose of leveling up my Pokemon in the history of me playing Pokemon.

Very nice, since we still can't buy these with only one badge.

NPC: they're delightfully comfy and easy to wear!

I can't get that annoyed at the meme because the official games actually regularly reference it...

NPC: For the most part, they're special battlefield effects that boost the power of certain moves used by Pokemon on the ground.

Which is much better than what some other fangames do with them.

I pick up another Zygarde cell.

NPC: I swear he keeps giving me creepy looks.

NPC: Say, do you also notice a bug hiding in that girl's hair?

While I'm glad it's a misunderstanding, I do wonder how anyone could NOT notice a Pokemon bug in their hair. They're all huge for bugs...

I'm starving for Revives but I doubt they are going to be sellable for a long while, which sucks.

NPC: Pokemon Breeding. It's slow going but would be faster if someone helped me out. Say...

NPC: Great! To start off, please bring me a Budew.

Well, I have Rosa right here, so.

NPC: xFriskx xFriskx Mmm... Smells faintly of Rose Incense... The scent has assailed my nostrils! Please bring me a Azurill so I can study it too!

We'll have to go back to Route 2 to catch one, so depending on my determination, this might have to wait until we have Fly.

NPC: I help take care of the precious Pokemon of Trainers. If you'd like me to raise your Pokemon, have a word with my wife.

NPC: learned the best way to raise loving Pokemon is to battle with them in important battles.

NPC: Let's get started!

Betty evolves into Golbat and gets a nice power boost, though now I officially have three happiness evolutions to worry about. At least a Golbat isn't as dire to stick around into the late level 20s as a Budew is.

NPC: Come back tomorrow to help train my babies again!

It's nice that this repeatable Trainer is here in front of the Daycare, but making it an every day fight instead of an every time you talk to her fight limits the usefulness.

NPC: Crater Town. Where did he get it from, though? Last I remember there were no wild Clefairy around here... No wonder the one in the yard looks so sad... it has no friends!

NPC: they lay an Egg! And the Day-care couple is kind enough to hold onto 100 of those Eggs for you! I wish I could breed Pokemon as great as they can.

Sign: Be always bonded in friendship. - Pokemon Day Care

Ok, I will admit that this got a chuckle out of me.

At the end of the route, if you follow a path to the upper left, you arrive at this house.

NPC: with a full party of Pokemon.

After I use the Porygon in her house to free up a slot:

NPC: I moved here recently with my three Pokemon from the Unova region. I've been raising them on my own up until this point, but lately, they've been craving adventure. I don't really want to leave my home, so I've been searching for someone to take them off of my hands.

I spend a little bit trying to decide between filling my lack of Fire type on my team and my heart.

I decide to go with my heart, mostly because I don't really want to use any official starters anyway.

NPC: after 8 am, so I can give you more! The wild Pokemon like to wander at night, so I routinely lock my door to keep them out.

Sign: Press R to quickly run from wild battle!

This. Would've been nice to have in the readme so I could have known this earlier.

Finally, we arrive at Crater Town.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, having the daycare hold eggs would've been a very nice QoL feature for those IV and/or shiny breeding.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Holding onto eggs is a godsend and it's something I wish canon would pick up, although they went the other direction and let you immediately deposit eggs if your party is full.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Usually I evolve friendship evos as soon as possible by finding the longest route I have access to, turning on something more interesting on youtube, and run up and down it forever, since every 256 steps is another friendship point. Might be worth looking into if you're worried.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Leraika posted:

Usually I evolve friendship evos as soon as possible by finding the longest route I have access to, turning on something more interesting on youtube, and run up and down it forever, since every 256 steps is another friendship point. Might be worth looking into if you're worried.

I might do this the next time I boot up the game. Unfortunately, unlike most routes with the daycare on it, Route 5 doesn’t have a good long stretch without grass to run through.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
The route in this update is where my team finally started evening out. I also chose Oshawott, because I was lacking a water type. I'm using my mine though, since I don't have anything against using previous starters when they are handed out. I named mine William, because I am also bad at naming.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 24, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Psycho Knight posted:

The route in this update is where my team finally started evening out. I also chose Oshawott, because I was lacking a water type. I'm using my mine though, since I don't have anything against using previous starters when they are handed out. I named mine William, because I am also bad at naming.

It’s more that I already have Sphearical and I want to see if she’s going to be a good choice. Oshawott is one of my favorite starters, but a dual type allows me to get more STAB sources added to my team than a single type.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Caught up :toot:

What's with the music in this one? I checked your earlier videos and the music was like pushing my ears through a cheese grater, while the last one is using actual Pokeomon music. Is it a mix of both?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

hopeandjoy posted:

It’s more that I already have Sphearical and I want to see if she’s going to be a good choice. Oshawott is one of my favorite starters, but a dual type allows me to get more STAB sources added to my team than a single type.

That's a fair point. Having a lot of coverage is a good move in fan games, since they love to throw random assortments of Pokemon into every situation.

I've kept all the Pokemon I've caught so far on my team (I only catch stuff I intend to use), but my Noctowl is quickly falling to the bottom of the team and Snorunt was sidelined around the time I hit Crater Town because it had always been the weakest link and also I still haven't been able to evolve it yet.

At the moment, I'm using: Gardevoir (Luna), Vespiquen (I actually can't remember the nickname right now), Noctowl (Welkin), [Pokemon You Haven't Encountered Yet], Pupitar (Leo), and Samurott (William). I'm missing a lot of typings that I normally prefer to have, like: Fire, Ghost, Dragon, Fighting, Steel.

Kikas posted:

What's with the music in this one? I checked your earlier videos and the music was like pushing my ears through a cheese grater, while the last one is using actual Pokeomon music. Is it a mix of both?

I've had the audio turned down personally, but from what I've heard I think it's a combination of remixes and actual Pokemon music. I know there's one song that plays very frequently (might be the gym music) that has quickly worn thin for me for some reason.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kikas posted:

Caught up :toot:

Part of it is also that sometimes I forget not to hit the speed up key through battles I mean to video share and the emulator I use does not like re-speeding up the music without adding a ton of cracking and glitching. Which falls into the category of “my bad”.

But I’m also pretty meh on most of the soundtrack, though I’m not sure if that’s from playing higher quality tracks though an emulated GBA soundchip.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Taking this long to evolve Budew even with the bell, that's annoying. And it gets worse as trainer levels get higher, because you're ever more likely to faint because, well, it's a Budew.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Geomancing posted:

Taking this long to evolve Budew even with the bell, that's annoying. And it gets worse as trainer levels get higher, because you're ever more likely to faint because, well, it's a Budew.

I think I'm gonna take some time to grind my Munchlax's friendship so I don't have to wait for him to evolve anymore.

This LP has been pretty fascinating so far. The mechanical polish and quality of life updates put this game ahead of Zeta so far, but there's plenty of time for it to crash into more ditches.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Update 12: Blackout

NPC: the KBT Expressway. However, the rumors indicate that they can only be found behind the collapsed doorways that litter the tunnel. If only there was some way to dig through the rubble...

Some free money.

NPC: I wonder where it went?

I hope the Clefairy in the Daycare can get home one day. :(

NPC: the power of Mega Evolution. You need to be wary and prepare for this if you want to beat them. If you don't know what Mega Evolution is, think of it as a mega power-up.

I assume this means that one of their Pokemon will have a Gem and another can Mega Evolve witch will be. Fun.

NPC: Abilities can both help and hinder the user, depending on the Ability. Some Abilities even have uses outside of battle too. For example, if a Pokemon with Flash Fire is in the first slot, then you'll be more likely to encounter wild Pokemon that are Fire-type!

I'll assume this means he's a Dark-type leader then, mysterious dude.

NPC: the art of Mega Evolution!

The good news is that without trying, we already have three potential Mega Evolution users, and they're all good options.

NPC: ... What? You want me to say something interesting? Fine, then... Lately, I've been having trouble with my brother. He's gotten himself in deep with this gang calling themselves the "Black Emboar". I don't really know what it's all about, but I'm really worried for his safety. I haven't spoken with him in days, so I'm afraid something bad has happened to him. ... What's that?

NPC: Thank you! You can probably find my brother in the northern KBT Expressway. I'd go myself, but I'm too weak a Trainer. They say these Black Emboar are insanely vicious.

A fun after gym activity, I'm sure.

This house is locked and I'm still not sure how to unlock it. :argh:

NPC: cosmic power. They say that if a certain Pokemon comes in contact with one, strange things will happen.

Space rocks can mutate DNA after all. :tinfoil:

NPC: I know every single move that Pokemon learn growing up. I'm also a Heart Scale maniac. Bring me a Heart Scale. If you do that for me, I'll teach a move to one Pokemon.

Ugh, I miss the free Move Relearners in every Pokemon Center. I still don't have a rod, much less Surf, so I have no way to encounter Luvdisc. Which is annoying, because Rosa's missing out on a lot of Roselia level up moves that can be good, like Magical Leaf. And if she doesn't hurry up, she's going to miss Giga Drain.

NPC: Gym Leader, they'll give you a free gift?

Generation 5 taught me well, you see.

NPC: beating the Gym Leader, they'll give you a gift then, also?

Look, I need those Gems.

Sorry...

NPC: The astronomers at Cube Corp. predicted that if it wasn't stopped, it would fall directly on Valley City, this city, and end all life living here. With great haste, we began our evacuation of the city. As we were about to make our way through the KBT Expressway, we heard the news. The meteorite was now predicted to crush half the region! If we attempted to flee underground, there would be a large chance we'd be buried alive. Chaos ensued. All was thought hopeless... Until HE arrived. Aros, the legend. He arrived alongside Arceus and used a small Pokemon to teleport everyone to East Borrius, safe from harm. He planned to attack the meteorite and smash it to bits. Once he had transported everyone to safety, it is said he rode on a Rayquaza and smashed into the meteorite! It shattered, and most of the smaller fragments fell on Valley City. The city was destroyed, but Aros saved a region. I will never forget the heroic act that man performed.

Dad was pretty OP, huh? And also stole half his plot from the Delta Episode in ORAS.

I am a little annoyed at the constant use of meteorite though, because I'm pedantic. It would be a meteor! A meteor is a meteor when its in space; it only becomes a meteorite when it lands on earth. :eng101:

NPC: ago! He even made a friend with a Pokemon that fell from the stars!

NPC: It's an underground highway that goes around most of West Borrius! The acronym "KBT" stands for King Borrius the Third. He was the king of Borrius that created the concept of a regionwide highway.

Another cell for the cell pile.

Plus a Yellow Shard which I'm sure will be useful. Someday.

Sign: Borrius' underground highway.

Sign: A toen built from ash.

NPC: It was so dark I had no idea where I was going. I couldn't even use Flash to see better! Hopefully, you'll have more use for this TM than I did.

Gee, thanks.

NPC: Flash can be used to light up dark caves.

NPC: Why don't you trade your Poke Ball for my Great Ball?

You can only do this once a day, but it at least lets you convert a couple Poke Balls up the chain.

NPC: If you get one of those items, you should sell it immediately. I've even heard there are some maniacs out there who'll buy those items for an even higher amount than Poke Marts.

Hence why I'm hanging onto my TinyMushroom.

NPC: From there it's a straight shot through Route 7, up Frost Mountain, and up Route 8 to Blizzard City. If you're going to hike all the way there, make sure you have many Poke Balls for catching Pokemon. Most people don't go that way though, since they don't have the Vision Badge. Without it, they can't cut down that Skinny Tree in front of the entrence.

NPC: My daughter loves hearing about these Pokemon on TV, and she's dying to meet one of them. You don't by any chance happen to have a Bayleaf, do you? xFriskx xFriskx Oh, it doesn't look like it. That's too bad. My daughter would have loved to see one...

Bayleaf was the swarm the day I made this recording, so presumably this changes to whichever Pokemon is swarming that day.

NPC: Route 18! They say there's a whole bunch of Bayleaf there!

NPC: I'd set a time limit, but if it weren't for her, my son would never know when Pokemon Swarms appear! And it's not like those Pokemon are easy to find any other time...

Ok, but when he's not here like is the case right now, surely you could set a limit...?

Presumably these particular meteorites are used to changed Deoxys' form.

Now on to the Gym.

NPC: I didn't see you there! Welcome to the Crater Town Gym! Let's start you off with some Fresh Water.

NPC: If you want to win here, a good starting point would be bringing Fighting-, Bug-, or Fairy-types. Just be aware, because of the many Trainers that struggle in this Gym, negative emotions will fill the air as you battle. These emotions will inflict damage at the end of each turn. Only Dark- and Ghost-types and Pokemon with the Abilities Magic Guard, Unaware, or Oblivious are unaffected by these emotions. If you end up struggling because of the negative emotions, bringing a Pokemon that isn't affected could really help you out. Now, getting to Vega, the Leader, is relatively simple. Navigate the dimly lit hallways, and don't get spotted. If you get spotted, you will either have to battle some Trainers or be sent back to the beginning of the hallway. Every Trainer you defeat will brighten up the room, so I recommend battling them all first. Good luck out there!

This Gym has way too many gimmicks.

On top of the darkness is the stealth section.

I get caught immediately and get teleported away.

Right into the section where all the Trainers are.

Negative emotions are basically a Sandstorm you can't turn off by changing the weather. It's not a huge amount of damage, but once you actually are fighting Vega it can mean the difference between being able to get one more hit on his Pokemon or fainting.

Thankfully Wally has Draining Kiss which is both super-effective STAB and heals him.

As promised, beating Trainers makes it easier to see. So I decided to just beat all of them now.

...After I check this computer.

The Trainer battles in here are not difficult.

Even when they're double battles.

Now that all that's over, we can at least see more of the stealth section.

The good news is that once you've defeated all the Gym Trainers, getting caught just gets you teleported to the start of your current hallway, not the entire puzzle.

I get caught many, many times, but finally get to Vega.

: Tell me, what's your name? ... Madoka? I see... Whisper... Mutter... Whisper... I'm Vega, the Leader of the Crater Town Gym. The somber atmosphere of this town has let me channel all of my dark energy into one place. Are you prepared to face it?

So. Vega. Vega was quite difficult for me despite the fact I have both Penny and Wally. This is from a combination of bad RNG, his Pokemon hitting like trucks, and the negative emotions effect. I lost to him three times before I finally managed to beat him.

The bad RNG factor is this. In this fight, his Liepard finally missed with Fury Swipes and then got a 2-hit chain. In my previous three battles, it was consistantly getting 5-hit chains, to the point I doubled checked to see if Liepard has Technician as an ability (it doesn't).

Rock Smash isn't a great move, but it's Penny's only Fighting move.

Vega's Absol nearly removes Penny's entire remaining HP bar (as seen in the last screen) in one Knock Off despite the resistance and that Penny isn't holding an item. I realized later that this is almost certainly because his Absol is holding a Gem, but it is surprising and also sucks.

The negative emotions finish Penny off.

Absol has Pressure, which doubles PP use. This is bad for Wally, because it means he's going to burn through his Draining Kisses before he can finish off it.

It doesn't matter because Wally's paper thin defenses and the negative emotions take him out of the fight before he can use them all up.

Sphearical finishes the Absol off.

I switch Nibbles in hoping to get a Fire Fang in before Sneasel can wreck him.

...forgetting that Nibbles isn't super fast but Sneasels are.

He drops like a rock.

I sacrifice Betty so that I have a chance to heal Sphearical. If Rollout doesn't make Vega's Sneasel faint before attrition from its attacks and the negative emotions effect makes Sphearical faint, I'm screwed because all I'll have left is Rosa.

Thankfully, she manages to pull it off in the nick of time.

: Vision Badge.

Ok I kinda love that the badge is a pair of sunglasses.

: That includes even outsiders you received in a trade. You can also now use the HM Cut anytime outside of battle. Use it to cut down small trees to open up new pathways. I want you to have my favorite TM as well.

Thief is a good utility move, especially when I need to get Heart Scales. Or inevitably get another quest asking for ten bear asses, like with the Honey quest.

: It's the perfect TM for any secret agent.

: Try to stay in the light and out of the shadows as much as possible. If you follow this advice, it will not bring you to ruin. I promise...

All complaints about the mechanics of the Gym aside, I do like Vega's secret agent schtick. It's more inventive than other Dark Gym Leaders I've seen in fangames, which is a relief after the last leader was weed joke #8974.

NPC: You managed to find your way through the dark and take down Vega! Take this, as an extra reward for your victory.

NPC: With it, you can unless your dark fury! Mwahahahaha!

When we leave the Gym, this cutscene immediately plays:

A: The target is on the move.

B: Let's move into position.

Hmm. That's ominous.

Bonus:

Vs Vega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5n-7Qy5iRk

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:sax: Secret agent maaaan... :guitar:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

hopeandjoy posted:

The bad RNG factor is this. In this fight, his Liepard finally missed with Fury Swipes and then got a 2-hit chain. In my previous three battles, it was consistantly getting 5-hit chains, to the point I doubled checked to see if Liepard has Technician as an ability (it doesn't).

Could they have tinkered with some stat for this battle? I lost my Kirlia in this fight to a 5-Hit Fury Swipes right away and then ate another 5-chain on the next one before it went down.

I would suspect unfairness, but I've also had Frozen trigger twice and both times it lasted for a full 5 turns. If there were any changes made under the hood, then it seems to benefit the player just as much.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...Oh. So every gym is gonna have a field effect, huh? Well, it hasn't reached the levels of obnoxious overtunement that Reborn's terrains have, so I guess it isn't that bad, but it's still annoying that they went from "the gym is foggy but you can use Defog to clear it up" to "the gym is a 2004 DeviantArt age that hurts you every turn and you can do nothing to stop it".

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

serefin99 posted:

"the gym is a 2004 DeviantArt age that hurts you every turn and you can do nothing to stop it".

What are you talking about? The gym guy said that you can avoid the negative emotions field effect by bringing Dark or Ghost types. Like Ghastly/Haunter for example! ...Who is weak to Dark types... which the gym leader uses.

Okay, so it's a little bullshit.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I forget, have we had any access to Dark or Ghost types yet?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jade Rider posted:

I forget, have we had any access to Dark or Ghost types yet?

Yes, the forest was full of Ghosts. I can't remember any Dark type in particular, but I'm sure they're been around because Dark type isn't that rare. We've also seen Numel and Swinub, which have Oblivious as an ability, and Bidoof and Woobat with Unaware.

It's just that none of that is going to help you do super effective damage against any of Vega's Pokemon, outside of Numel for Sneasel. Ghost is weak to Dark as well.

Probably your best option that you would have available is a Magic Guard Clefairy, because Cleffa are on Route 2. However, you have a good chance of your Cleffa still being a Cleffa at this point.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 27, 2021

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Fingers crossed the terrain gimmicks don't get worse at least.

I also agree that that Secret Agent is a cool thing for a Dark Gym Leader be. I hope we see more of going against the grain. I wonder what a good fighting gym leader would be like that isn't martial arts focused? Maybe construction or dance related?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I dig Véga's style but goddamn that gym looked painful in the wrong ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Next page please.