Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If we're talking about good fanhacks I'll still recommend Xenoverse: Per Aspera Ed Astra despite having some umbrage towards poor design decisions in the endgame. There was a ton of production value put into it, the amount of edge is mostly non-existent, there are some fun fakemon and the difficulty curve most closely resembles Pokemon Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Apparently, Phoenix Rising's devs went completely AWOL and then they gave the game project over to an unknown group. Which is the other common fallout for ambitious projects.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ChrisBTY posted:

If we're talking about good fanhacks I'll still recommend Xenoverse: Per Aspera Ed Astra despite having some umbrage towards poor design decisions in the endgame. There was a ton of production value put into it, the amount of edge is mostly non-existent, there are some fun fakemon and the difficulty curve most closely resembles Pokemon Platinum.

I'm mildly interested in trying it, though the fact it requires an instaler instead of just the game folder has me feeling a but paranoid.

It might be a weird recommendation but I think Touhoumon Purple is also a great hack: it's an adaptation of the japanese 1.8 version, which has a completely new type chart and an interesting system where every puppet has a 2 stage evolution but you can use stones to evolve in diferent forms with totally different stats (say, one can focus on being a bulky special attacker and another a physical sweeper). The difficulty is also real fair without bullshit, and it has 0 problems with the story because the author changed nothing about it. Including the fact Groudon and Kyogre are still the center of the plot, despite turning into magic girls when you go catch them :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
If you're gonna do a touhoumon game, I sincerely and wholeheartedly recommend Touhou Puppet Dance Performance: Shard of Dreams.

It also has an overhauled type chart and lets you pick a branched evolution for your touhou of choice (one of three: two styles that depend on the touhou in question, and one Extra style that generally swaps up how they play or their typing entirely). There are a ton of quality of life changes as well. You can freely swap abilities and moves at any time, EV investment can also be done freely (in that you don't have to grind certain touhoumons to get certain EVs; it's all banked so you can spend it however you like, though you can't reset it once you did), and touhou are guaranteed to start with a basic attacking move or two so you don't have to let them rot at the back of your party until they're useable. The game also lets you pick any touhou as your starter, and it's balanced enough that this mostly works (a few characters, mostly side characters from the mangas, are low stat or very gimmicky or both - a shedinja clone exists in this game). A personal thing I like is that you can unlock a shop where you can swap your characters between their default palette, shiny palette, and a third special costume at any time. The game itself is also completely original in both map design and story (though the story is pretty standard Pokemon); it isn't just 'pokemon ruby/silver but with touhous instead'.

Also: following touhoumon!

The downsides:
-The type chart is not always as intuitive as the video game one; I generally end up playing with the wiki open so I can quickly look up something's weaknesses and resistances.
-Some areas can be difficult to navigate in a way that makes the game drag a bit (the Forest of Magic is huge, the Bamboo Forest is a warp maze, the Scarlet Devil Mansion is both)
-The game can lean hard into very low encounter rates for certain characters, and certain fan favorites are very difficult to find outside of starting with them - Reimu is only available around the time your puppets are first able to style change/evolve, and even then, only at a 5% encounter rate. Flandre is a 3.33% encounter, and only in one location in the game (though the location is pretty obvious).
- it's an absolute bitch and a half to set up, especially if you want to play the shard of dreams expansion, which you do.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Leraika posted:

If you're gonna do a touhoumon game, I sincerely and wholeheartedly recommend Touhou Puppet Dance Performance: Shard of Dreams.

It also has an overhauled type chart and lets you pick a branched evolution for your touhou of choice (one of three: two styles that depend on the touhou in question, and one Extra style that generally swaps up how they play or their typing entirely). There are a ton of quality of life changes as well. You can freely swap abilities and moves at any time, EV investment can also be done freely (in that you don't have to grind certain touhoumons to get certain EVs; it's all banked so you can spend it however you like, though you can't reset it once you did), and touhou are guaranteed to start with a basic attacking move or two so you don't have to let them rot at the back of your party until they're useable. The game also lets you pick any touhou as your starter, and it's balanced enough that this mostly works (a few characters, mostly side characters from the mangas, are low stat or very gimmicky or both - a shedinja clone exists in this game). A personal thing I like is that you can unlock a shop where you can swap your characters between their default palette, shiny palette, and a third special costume at any time. The game itself is also completely original in both map design and story (though the story is pretty standard Pokemon); it isn't just 'pokemon ruby/silver but with touhous instead'.

Also: following touhoumon!

The downsides:
-The type chart is not always as intuitive as the video game one; I generally end up playing with the wiki open so I can quickly look up something's weaknesses and resistances.
-Some areas can be difficult to navigate in a way that makes the game drag a bit (the Forest of Magic is huge, the Bamboo Forest is a warp maze, the Scarlet Devil Mansion is both)
-The game can lean hard into very low encounter rates for certain characters, and certain fan favorites are very difficult to find outside of starting with them - Reimu is only available around the time your puppets are first able to style change/evolve, and even then, only at a 5% encounter rate. Flandre is a 3.33% encounter, and only in one location in the game (though the location is pretty obvious).
- it's an absolute bitch and a half to set up, especially if you want to play the shard of dreams expansion, which you do.

Oh yeah, TPPD is also really great. I mostly mentioned Emerald cause it's one of the few Touhoumon romhacks that doesn't... have the bullshit of others. (Hello, 990 BST monstruosities that make Mega Rayquaza cry and every single dungeon in Touhoumon Insane.)

That said, I remember when I played it that PPD had a bit of a problem with trainer fatigue, as in there were long streches of lots of trainers to fight with nothing noteworthy that felt a bit tiring, but otherwise yeah, great fangame.

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
Necropost for interest. What happened to this SSLP? Is it going to continue?

I was thinking of doing a play of this game but without the edge, but when I tried, the game got stuck at the part where the leader was supposed to do the thing he was going to have his Houndoom do to the fail grunt instead of incinerating him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I may or may not because nursing school but I don’t think anyone wants to see this game lp’d by the amputee fetish guy.

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit

hopeandjoy posted:

I may or may not because nursing school but I don’t think anyone wants to see this game lp’d by the amputee fetish guy.

Okay. If I could just reignite your spark, that'll be good.

nightelf_37 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 26, 2021

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Stop!! loving!! Posting!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

At the risk of necroposting, Unbound came out with the 2.0 update a short while back which apparently changes a whole bunch of stuff