Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

Welp.

Skin: Light
Hair: Pink
Your call on the clothes.

Damanation posted:

This and let’s name her Madoka. Who else fits a story that seems light but has some serious edge waiting to hit you when you don’t expect it?

I wasn't going to vote on character creation but this is too perfect, so this.

Also I feel this isn't a bad start for a fangame. The "edgy" backstory is partly from an actual Pokemon game, so it isn't super out of place, there's no weirdly drawn fakemon from day one, the whole "world is big, take your time" thing at the beginning, while overused, is actually quite nice and calm which is usually the opposite of what these games want, and the actual edgy writing is heavily signalled and the game actually tries to stop you from taking it (twice, even, between defaulting to "no" and asking again if you really want to). Hell, even the difficulty is selectable when usually these games try to go hard.

I'm quite impressed and in a good way right now. Can't wait to have that shattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

hopeandjoy posted:

The last part of the cheese method is using Fire Fang to attack over Tackle, hoping for a Burn. The Burn never shows up, but I feel like it still did more damage per attack than Tackle despite the 1/4x effectiveness.

Probably because Fire is 1/2x effective on Larvitar. Ground doesn't resist Fire.

Though regardless, that your first Rival fight has you with no way to deal even neutral damage is terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Log sure loves talking, huh. He just kept going there for a while.

"Base stats are the most important part of a Pokemon" is something that's beyond incompatible with how the series is though and makes me dislike him intensely.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Sandslash thing was neat, though it left me wondering: can you catch the Sandslash? Do you get a special message if you try and it fails? It doesn't seem like the story can continue as it does if you do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It seems this hack uses the same stuff as Radical Red does, so I'm expecting Raids to work the same way as they do there. That hack had a crapton of really neat stuff so it's great to see it here too.

Also this update definitely felt like a much better one in terms of the game itself. The NPCs are friendly and nice, there's some good jokes there, the mood is constantly light and feels like a proper adventure. It's hard to believe we had a guy get incinerated.

Bringing fog back ruins all that goodwill and some though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd rather have dumb weed jokes than hyper edginess so I'll take it as something good entirely because the bar is that low.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel we're going head on into a plot twist about the bad guys actually having the right objective and we're the real bad guys for trying to stop them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Faillen Angel posted:

I do like "we're within our rights to capture this wild Pokemon", something about that gives me a solid chuckle.

It's a similar feeling to one villain in Insurgence, I think, pointing out he just used a Master Ball to catch a legendary Pokemon. It's a weirdly grounded moment where gameplay and story actually do work together, but not from your side, which is always hilarious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I dig Véga's style but goddamn that gym looked painful in the wrong ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raids are identical to Radical Red, which convinces me that both hacks are using the same changes. Not sure which hack made them and then others used them, but they're insanely good.

If Radical Red wasn't the source of this particular change, Gigantamaxes except Gengar and Charizard are Megas instead.