Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think I'm pretty numb where edgy Pokemon hacks are concerned, this really doesn't seem awful. A bit eye rolling but it doesn't seem any stupider than canon at the moment. And the sprites etc look good.

Which means that the 'grit' is going to come out of nowhere and probably be awkwardly stapled on top of what's likely a not-terrible generic Pokemon plot and will read like someone literally edited a script to add swearing and blood splatters.

Leraika posted:

Girl, dark skin, pink hair, dealer's choice on clothes, let's call her Marysue

Sure, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Reborn was also determined to make the actual gameplay as miserable as possible, in fairness. Limiting the pokemon selection to 'utter trash' and removing anything someone discovered had a use so you were forced into one team composition per boss battle. Removing all sane methods of level grinding. Having clunky puzzles that didn't work in the game engine (have we all forgotten the chess game in an engine that really couldn't cope with diagonal movements?). Gating progress behind an endless nest of sidequests within sidequests within sidequests so it took literal hours of gameplay to bypass a rock.

It's the edge we all remember but let's not forget the physical game was also a nightmare.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Space Kablooey posted:

Rival named Filler and Gible named Nibbles

This is really the only option, the other two will be complete deadweight for quite a while even if they do end up good eventually.

Quackles posted:

Let's Play Pokémon Unbound:
Spheal With It

Also this.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Insurgence sort of got away with it because the rest of the writing and general feel of the game created enough reasonable doubt that it was possible the stat talk was meant as parody, and that it was possibly a fourth wall breaking joke for the player rather than a normal in-universe feature. This game hasn't earned that goodwill by being actually decent yet, so we're judging more harshly. Pretty sure we reacted the same way in early Insurgence and came to forgive it later, but it was a very long game and I don't remember.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Carbon dioxide posted:

Something I don't think people in the thread have mentioned yet: this starting town seems quite nice.

NPCs giving friendly advice, a nice reference to the "technology is amazing" guy in every mainline pokemon game, y'know.

It feels like a breath of fresh air to have a romhack starting town that isn't the ruins of a nuclear war or like a town run by an evil gang or what have you.

That's true. Our mom isn't even dead or kidnapped yet!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

hopeandjoy posted:

: A howling blizzard. A world frozen. Heed my call! Articuno! Sankren fimbulvetr! Come to me!

Oh, we're doing Ragnarok again. How original. I love Norse myths too but there are others. Hell, there's literally another fangame LP (Pokemon Zeta) using the theme going on right now, even if it is probably dead.

Also why is there so much tutorial stuff? This is a fangame. Nobody's going to be playing it if they're so unfamiliar with canon that they don't know what the Pokemon Centre does.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This actually seems pretty decent. The Sandslash thing was cute, the cave and handful of minipuzzles didn't seem too bullshit and the fights have been achievable. Not at all what I expect from fangames :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This game continues to be decent and I'm getting increasingly tense waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Still, we've made it to the first gym and this is the first real oh for gently caress's sake, shoved in your face like a dead raccoon moment. It's still doing reasonably well as fangames go. (In the Pokemon Zeta LP we were just told that the upcoming gym leader is out on parole after murdering a six year old at a birthday party, for contrast.) Just don't do anything this trite and overdone again unless it's actually funny.

Anyone know if this changes in the non-edge version to be slightly less over the top?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Jax sure is a slow flier.

The more I see of the 'plot' the less I understand the choice of the Kanto birds. They're just birds. They have no in-universe connection to anything mythical, and I don't think birds are involved in Ragnarok. If you want things associated with binding and sealing, you probably want the lake guardians, unless that would make it too obvious that half of this is copying Sinnoh's plot to begin with. If you want something approximating Norse hellbeasts you probably want the legendary dogs or the Justice trio. There are paired legendaries for time and space, for life and death. Almost every other option makes more sense than the birds.

Maybe that's the point. Maybe Team Whatstheirname is going to round up the birds and take them to the mystical site and the birds are just going to scream and poo poo everywhere and nothing will happen and then the real legendary will show up a bit pissed off.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Faillen Angel posted:

I do like "we're within our rights to capture this wild Pokemon", something about that gives me a solid chuckle.

I think the anime's had a few moments like that.

'Oh no, Team Rocket are stealing these pokemon!'
'...no, we're catching them. Like you do every week.'

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think maybe the writers just aren't actually very good at being edgy :ssh:

You have the big evil guy evilly threatening to kill us evilly. And then he immediately gives his pokemon medicine and tells it to feel better and then calls it back out of harm's way.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The canon games often do similar things, in all fairness. How many times do you run up to challenge an Evil Team Admin and beat them and any grunts they might have with them, only for them to then shrug and say they were just stalling for time so some other team goons could finish whatever they were doing, or for another admin to show up and say they've figured out this isn't where they were looking for anyway or that they've already collected the mcguffin, and then smugly teleport away and leave you pointlessly seething? It's just a lot more obvious when your villains are lampshading the fact that they could actually just kill you instead.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I continue to be cautiously optimistic about this game. I like the idea of combining the raids with the hidden grottoes, and being able to pick your partner is great.

And now you have a green bat to go with your purple one :3:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Why do so many idiots pretending to be game devs confuse spite and difficulty?

Difficulty is creating opposing teams with strategies and specific counters for the obvious things that require you to think instead of the usual 'use a supereffective attack oh look you won', with some sort of cap that means you can't overlevel too much and cheese it with raw stats.

Spite is then stacking that team with every other mechanic under the sun so that no matter how much you think and plan you cannot win unless the RNG lets you.

And as for making a new area where you're locked in and unable to change your pokemon around, that's just plain stupid.

How is this fun for anyone?

Nobody thinks you're cool, sweetie. :rolleyes: You're the kid nobody wanted to play with because you kept inventing new rules in every game that let you win and then threw tantrums if the other kids argued.

If you can't beat the hypothetical players without piling on all this overpowered bullshit, then you're bad at game design.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

hahaha fairy/dragon garchomp what the gently caress

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

But in general, I feel the quality of Pokemon fangames is... really low. I'm hard-pressed to find good ones besides Gaia.

I had such high hopes for Sage, the demo was good and what they've showed of the rest seemed promising.

But it's been in developer hell for so many years that it's really impossible to believe in it any more. December last year they estimated it was about 60% done. They've been working on it for almost a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Jesus. Who thinks, "Hm, I want to tell a story with lots of violence, sex, racism, bigotry, drugs and other dark themes, obviously Pokemon is the best possible vehicle for this type of story"? Why does this keep happening? It's a game about ten year olds saving the world with the help of fluffy electric mice.