Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh. Oh no. This looks like it's going to go places.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

hopeandjoy posted:

Current poll results:

Poll closes today at 3:30pm EST. There's still time to swing votes on skin color and names!

Since I didn't vote earlier, I guess I'll throw one in for MarySue. Poor Madoka doesn't deserve this.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Crosspeice posted:

They must have changed these three, because Gible named Nibbles is the only real choice otherwise. It gets actual moves throughout the games, has good Atk and Spd, while Pupitar is slow and evolves at 55, while Beldum is miserable for 25 levels.

This is what I was thinking too, Gible is actually useable while the other two look like they'd be extremely painful. I'm sure the hack has changed their movesets around to try to prevent this, but still.

As for the rival's name, eh, Filler has grown on me honestly. Let's keep him.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Wow, what a mess. Seconding Quackles that "Professor Log" is cute/clever though.

This is just... ugh, this is why you don't make these things starters. Although I'm pretty impressed that you found a method to get through that rival fight, that looked like complete bullshit. (Honestly, I kind of like this sort of gimmicky battle in the right context, but this isn't it. This doesn't seem intended, it just seems like they didn't bother to think at all about the capabilities of these pokemon before throwing them in as starters.)

Carpator Diei posted:

Barely out of the tutorial and we have Pokémon murdering people, an evil team with dark hoods called "The Shadows", a nigh-unwinnable first rival battle if you picked the wrong starter, and a raging douchebag of a rival who just mows down grunts despite having no experience with Pokémon whatsoever. It's like this game is ticking off a checklist of bad Pokémon fangame tropes. Can't wait for more :munch:

Also, this. They're really not wasting any time here.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm impressed at the weird whiplashy nature of the spiteful difficulty curve.

"Pick Gible unless you want your starter to have utter shite for moves!"
"Oh wait, now we made everything ice type! Have fun with that 4x weakness!"
"Never mind, we gave you fire fang."

I really don't understand this design sensibility at all.

The official games sometimes have a situation where one starter is poorly suited to a lot of what it faces in early areas (this goes all the way back to Charmander vs Brock), but there it's meant to encourage the player to branch out and catch things that will do better. Here, this is all happening before the player even has access to poke balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

It took me a while to realise that too.

I've also spent way too long asking myself the question of whether or not "Black Madoka" is just Homura. (I guess there are worse jokes my brain could have gone with... seriously, sticking "Black" in front of the character's name just isn't a good idea.)