Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If you want a basic overview of Christianity especially how itís practiced overall then eco-theology or liberation theology, what have you, shouldnít be the first thing you jump into. Thatís all I meant.

this is also not true. it is completely possible for an overview-style text about christianity to be both (a) written from a particular school of theology, and (b) fair and accessible to a newcomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 22, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nope nope nope nope nope. we're gonna stop this right now. forums user thirteen orphans does not speak for all of christianity

You're quite right. In orthodox Christianity it's neither normative nor valid.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

The principles expressed in the martial arts make up the backbone of my philosophy.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is also not true. it is completely possible for an overview-style text about christianity to be both (a) written from a particular school of theology, and (b) fair and accessible to a newcomer

This is true, but from my time in campus ministry I realized most of the people I was ministering with/to donít avail themselves of that kind of literature. Encountering them where they were meant using those concepts but not necessarily jargon or anything like that; making it accessible to them. If you get too specialized early on it can alienate you if you arenít careful.

Perhaps Iím just worried a new Christian is gonna do what I did and take a hard dive early on and have to take extra time to catch up to actually understand what his fellow Christians think and feel.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

When there were five in the bed and we all rolled over I said nothing, because I would not fall off.

I could have suggested way more radical authors. Johnsonís methods are very much in the mainline Protestant .