Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CellBlock posted:

I believe you'll find that there isn't really much of a taboo against brain diseases anymore.

Pretty kuru that people are now accepting nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This has to be the most stdh.txt thing I've ever read, it's actually quite amazing:

https://imgur.com/gallery/N1apKPS

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TOOT BOOT posted:

This has to be the most stdh.txt thing I've ever read, it's actually quite amazing:

I didn't know what thread I was in and was getting all worked up to cross post it here before I clicked to find the link and saw where you posted it. :smith:

But then I realized I didn't have to be that guy posting some STDH :unsmith:

I'll just contribute and say that regardless of . . . . all the rest of it, this is literally a passion play and your typical medieval christian would have just gone "well, the bread is a new wrinkle, but besides that looks good to me!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if I'm more embarrassed for the writer or the people who think this happened.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know if I'm more embarrassed for the writer or the people who think this happened.

Sometimes there is joy to be found in a good story, regardless of the truth of any of it.

See also: war stories, sea stories, and the post history of 50 Foot Ant.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In that vein, big shoutout to the CSPAM epstein thread for introducing me to the work of Jorje Luis Borges just moments ago.

quote:

...In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection that the map of a single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the Empire, the entirety of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer satisfied, and the Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that of the Empire, and which coincided point for point with it. The following Generations, who were not so fond of the Study of Cartography as their Forebears had been, saw that that vast Map was Useless, and not without some Pitilessness was it, that they delivered it up to the Inclemencies of Sun and Winters. In the Deserts of the West, still today, there are Tattered Ruins of that Map, inhabited by Animals and Beggars; in all the Land there is no other Relic of the Disciplines of Geography.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think we talked about that story a few years ago, maybe in a previous thread.

Edit: Bread Jesus, not Borges. My cousin got me into Borges.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, if that had actually happened there’s no way the archbishop only gets one complaint.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

I was listening to Dave Chang's podcast, and he was talking about synthetic meat and brought up an interesting conundrum that's we're going to have to deal with.

Should/is it permissible for people to eat synthetic meat? As in if your Muslim or Jewish can you eat a product that's chemically identical to pork, but did not involve the slaughter if a pig. I've been thinking about this for a minute when I was thinking if it was alright to eat the beyond meat during lent. I ended up mostly rolling with tempeh but it's been rolling around in the head for a minute. Any thoughts?

My Muslim friends take the view that Allah forbidding pork is a test of self will. Of course people can eat pork because Allah is good and what Allah makes is good, but Allah asks Muslims not to eat pork so Muslims shouldn't eat pork.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Except that the Jewish and Catholic parts of me say that we should challenge the all mighty on that one. "Malicious compliance and room for defiance" (I can only say that in one sing song way) is the point.

So, for Muslims: probably not (but I don't want to speak for them). For Jews: probably yes, but you've gotta make the case. For Catholics: I'd recommend not eating it on a Friday, but I'm open to artificial meat being declared a fish (I've consulted with Impossible and any future meat will grow in a liquid matrix, under water, so that's at least as much a fish as the capybara)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eat duck as it is the most morally depraved of all animals

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a place near me that does a braised duck in an Orange Brandy sauce that's absolutely amazing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You really need to switch to Ortolan's if you want to piss of god tho

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

You need to switch to goose if you want to piss off satan

White Coke
May 29, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Eat duck as it is the most morally depraved of all animals

When my dad worked in the Forestry he saw first hand the evil that ducks do.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
This question is for the jews in the audience.

I was looking at buying something online and there was a banner across the top saying that check-outs were closed whilst they observe shabbat.

So, basically, ive never seen this before and i want to know, is this common(i very rarely shop online)? Are all automated systems shut down on shabbat?

I assumed that automation would be like the eruv(?), where they can get around accepting orders because of the fact that its an automated system until you have to physically read the order and pack it.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 30, 2021

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

I was looking at buying something online and there was a banner across the top saying that check-outs were closed whilst they observe shabbat.

So, basically, ive never seen this before and i want to know, is this common(i very rarely shop online)? Are all automated systems shut down on shabbat?

I assumed that automation would be like the eruv(?), where they can get around accepting orders because of the fact that its an automated system until you have to physically read the order and pack it.

It's not universal, and it's not a requirement that I know of, but automated systems sometimes break and require human intervention - if you turn these off during Shabbat, then you make as sure as possible that nobody will need to use a computer.

The other part of this goes into what the purpose of a commandment, or mitzvah, actually is. A good example is: should fake bacon be kosher? If it was solely about you, then sure, you aren't breaking kashrut, there's no pork in it. But if someone saw you eating the fake bacon, they might think "ah, it's allowed in this community to eat bacon", and break a mitzvah. Therefore fake bacon is not considered kosher, because of its effects on the community at large. So we see that mitzvot are not just rules for the person, but standards that the community is meant to set for themselves and each other. So by keeping the shop closed on Shabbat, not just the letter of the mitzvah is honoured, but the spirit of it too.

(It's an interesting contrast to the common impression of Judaism as being "legalistic (derogatory)" and obsessed with finding loopholes in mitzvot - IMO, the loopholes are there to accommodate people who can't fulfil the surface reading of a mitzvah, but also if you can go by the full spirit of it then you should.)

EDIT TO SAY: A fun way of demonstrating the complexity of mitzvot is the lighting of Shabbat candles. You're meant to light candles to bring in Shabbat, but you're also not meant to light any candles on Shabbat. So the compromise is to cover your eyes with your spare hand while you light them, so you can't see yourself doing it. However, this is potentially unsafe, so pikuach nefesh - acting to save a life - kicks in. The new compromise is to cover your eyes with your hands so you can't see the candle, but to spread your fingers, so you can see the candle. Now is this rules lawyering? Yes, of course, but what are the alternatives? Either you don't light candles to bring in Shabbat (bad end), or you do light candles to bring in Shabbat, but the fake bacon scenario plays out, and someone goes "oh so we can just light candles on Shabbat" and you've caused someone to sin (worse end). But if you light a candle with your hand in front of your eyes, people say "oh that can only be for Shabbat", and fake bacon is averted, and Shabbat is brought in. Everyone can be satisfied, and all thanks to loophole-picking.

Freudian fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2021

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Thank you for the response, it really clarified automation issue, but has muddied my understanding of the eruv.

Closing the automation on shabbat because it keeps in line with the idea of the mitzvot makes sense, however that means the eruv is seemingly doing the opposite?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

You were looking at B&H Photo/Video weren't you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

lol beat me to it

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hey people, long time lurker here saying hello. I'm a Taoist/Dudeist and former Catholic. Srill revere Jesus as one of the great people of our times, and I believe all good paths are the way to enlightenent/God/whathaveyou.

I'm pretty terrible at being a Taoist sometimes, still working on the "don't panic about life" and just living in the moment thing.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

Thank you for the response, it really clarified automation issue, but has muddied my understanding of the eruv.

Closing the automation on shabbat because it keeps in line with the idea of the mitzvot makes sense, however that means the eruv is seemingly doing the opposite?

It's a tricky one, and eruvim are controversial for a lot of reasons. It was easier in the past, because eruvim encompassed literal walled parts of a city or settlement, and you had that visual reminder that "I can do this because it's within the walls" - the same as you have the visual reminder of someone covering their eyes when they light the Shabbat candles. But nowadays eruvim are largely invisible, which has the threefold problem of: A) forgetting that you can only do this because the eruv is there, and breaking Shabbat when you go elsewhere; B) not realising you've left the eruv, and breaking Shabbat by carrying something outside of it; and C) not realising the eruv has been broken - this is serious enough that eruvim are inspected weekly to make sure they're ready for Shabbat.

But the benefits of eruvim allow for people to both observe Shabbat as they see fit and to do really basic and vital tasks, like carrying literally anything in public, or pushing a stroller around, so the communities that use them see them as worth the drawbacks. Like I say, the loopholes are there for people who need them - sometimes there isn't a satisfying solution to fit the strict spirit of the mitzvah, so you have to make a choice.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Scathach posted:

I'm pretty terrible at being a Taoist sometimes, still working on the "don't panic about life" and just living in the moment thing.

Faith is entry-level poo poo, TRUSTING a higher power is the tough part. We all fall short, welcome!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Spirit Otter posted:

I think this is something B&H does on their own and isn't considered mandatory. Maybe it's Satmar? I think they're Satmar.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Tias posted:

Faith is entry-level poo poo, TRUSTING a higher power is the tough part. We all fall short, welcome!

We do, and thank you! At least it gets easier the older we get. Or it has for me.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Freudian posted:

But the benefits of eruvim allow for people to both observe Shabbat as they see fit and to do really basic and vital tasks, like carrying literally anything in public, or pushing a stroller around, so the communities that use them see them as worth the drawbacks. Like I say, the loopholes are there for people who need them - sometimes there isn't a satisfying solution to fit the strict spirit of the mitzvah, so you have to make a choice.

Oh wow, i didn't realize shabbat was so restrictive. I knew you couldnt work, but i didnt realize you even carry anything or push a stroller. It makes sense that the eruv would exist, and i really have nothing else to say, other than thank you for your responses, i really do appreciate it.

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao nailed it one

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Freudian posted:

When you say carry anything, how strict is that? Let's take something like "Always carry your EpiPen, because that will literally save your life if you get stung by a bee". One one hand, that is obviously breaking the Don't carry anything! rule. But NOT carrying something literally lifesaving goes against the "Saving a life is more important than the rules" rule?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

BattyKiara posted:

When you say carry anything, how strict is that? Let's take something like "Always carry your EpiPen, because that will literally save your life if you get stung by a bee". One one hand, that is obviously breaking the Don't carry anything! rule. But NOT carrying something literally lifesaving goes against the "Saving a life is more important than the rules" rule?

Yeah, pikuach nefesh will override anything that's not murder, sex crimes, or idolatry, so epipens are fine. And on another medical note, if someone needs to be pushed in a wheelchair in public, that's fine, so long as they aren't also carrying something unnecessary (assuming no eruv) - you're helping them do something they can't do for themself. Any good interpretation of halacha tends towards being compassionate towards people's circumstances - it's understood that people are trying to find a way to obey the mitzvah, rather than trying to wriggle out of it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

shame on an IGA posted:

I couldn't remember the name of the place but I knew it was this.

And yeah IIRC they are Satmar. I recall that B&H came up in the YEARS ago Ask/Tell thread about being raised in the Satmar community that I think Fascinator posted and eventually had two purported members of the community join, one to yell at her about it, and another who was mostly going through the motions while still being there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Stolen from the PYF: Funny Pictures thread:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wow, I guess the tradcath crowd are onto something with Bergoglio:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Freudian posted:

Who today can create an antipope?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

White Coke posted:

Who today can create an antipope?

I believe when the LHC creates a god particle, it also comes with a slew of popes and antipopes that annihilate each other.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antipopes are not created, but rather arise through the process of dependent origination, Ananda Benedict.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, the worst part is that when we get AntiPope 2025 you just know it's going to be someplace like Omaha or Plano rather than a cool place like Avignon or Pisa.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Freudian posted:

Bardstown KY closes in celebration now that Thomas Merton can finally be declared a Saint.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd appreciate some personal prayers and good thoughts. Last Saturday I developed a painful but otherwise uninteresting bruise on the right side of my chest. That night I started running a low grade fever as it developed into a seemingly superficial (if painful) skin infection,for which I started antibiotics on Wednesday.

The fever went away but the pain got worse and I went to the ER on Friday. Had surgery to get it all cleaned up on Saturday morning and will have another one sometime this morning. It seems to be responding to that and a series of IV antibiotics well and despite a very hectic comedy of errors everyone caring for me has been great. Still what an absolute nightmare.

HopperUK will generally be aware of my progress if I can't post, but I didn't want to vanish without a trace the way some goons tragically have recently.

Silly hat chat may now resume.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy.

I've been pondering some things vis-a-vis lust and sex, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to some scholarly works on the question of lust and just what it's supposed to be from a Catholic perspective. Like I understand that from the perspective of the Church things like masturbation and premarital sex are seen as sins, but I'm trying to get a handle on why those are sins, as well as just elucidate my own Catholic perspective on the question of lust.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

docbeard posted:

I'd appreciate some personal prayers and good thoughts. Last Saturday I developed a painful but otherwise uninteresting bruise on the right side of my chest. That night I started running a low grade fever as it developed into a seemingly superficial (if painful) skin infection,for which I started antibiotics on Wednesday.

The fever went away but the pain got worse and I went to the ER on Friday. Had surgery to get it all cleaned up on Saturday morning and will have another one sometime this morning. It seems to be responding to that and a series of IV antibiotics well and despite a very hectic comedy of errors everyone caring for me has been great. Still what an absolute nightmare.

HopperUK will generally be aware of my progress if I can't post, but I didn't want to vanish without a trace the way some goons tragically have recently.

Silly hat chat may now resume.

I’m very sorry to hear about your struggles. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant, docbeard.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I will pray my Rosaries this week for you Docbeard

magic cactus posted:

Howdy.

I've been pondering some things vis-a-vis lust and sex, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to some scholarly works on the question of lust and just what it's supposed to be from a Catholic perspective. Like I understand that from the perspective of the Church things like masturbation and premarital sex are seen as sins, but I'm trying to get a handle on why those are sins, as well as just elucidate my own Catholic perspective on the question of lust.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

St. Augustine's writings might be a good place to start, not perhaps in the explanation of why those things are sins, but in that before he converted, he was living a pretty debaucherously lifestyle and doesn't shy away on writing about it, or his struggles to convert from it.

I guess these wouldn't count as 'scholarly', but this might be a good place to start: https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/masturbation-mortal-sin.html I know Bishop Barron and Father Mike Schmitz have done youtube videos on this topic as well. The Catholic Talk Show is also really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTgBQ0uP-8

Request for prayers for myself too, I had 2 root canals on some teeth 2 months ago, had them capped a month ago, and now one of them feels like its sitting on swollen gums/is being pushed up. Could be an infection if the root wasn't entirely cleaned out. Would be a pain in the butt to have it all redone and re-crowned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Docbeard is still in the hospital, between procedures, but generally doing fairly well. He is also quite high on painkillers and I will report if he says anything particularly funny.

Just to update you all. :)