Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Can you please pray for my neighbour, Linda? She has been in a horrible accident. She was building a brick wall, it collapsed, and she was crushed. She will survive, but her leg could not be saved. Pray she will have as painless a recovery period as possible, and that she adjusts to learn how to walk again?

BattyKiara fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BattyKiara posted:

Can you please pray for my neighbour, Linda? She has been in a horrible accident. She was building a brick wall, it collapsed, and she was crushed. She will survive, but her leg could not be saved. Pray she will have as painless a recovery period as possible, and that she adjusts to learn how to walk again?

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant, Linda.

That’s awful, I’m very sorry to hear that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Prayer request for my best friend, his family, and his wife. His wife Nicole passed away this morning from brain cancer she was diagnosed with a few months ago. They have two kids.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Prayers for that family :(

HopperUK posted:

This is reminding me that I need to take a second run at 'The Cloud of Unknowing'. I bounced off last time; that's some tricky stuff, but there are such beautiful thoughts in there that really speak to how I pray already.

Thanks for mentioning that book. I hadn't heard of it before, but I'm interested in it now.

HopperUK posted:

e: man every time I try to look up something about Buddhism I get completely bewildered. I don't know if it's just 'words don't mean quite what they usually do' or what. I need Buddhism For Dummies or something. Because of all faiths that aren't my own, Buddhism is the one that feels the most true to me. Like, every time I *do* understand something about it I'm like 'that seems about right'. So I want to know more. Is there a good book to read?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh are the usual go-tos for making Buddhism accessible to western dabblers. If you just want an overview of Buddhist doctrine and traditions try the illustrated encyclopedia of Buddhism.

I second Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh as highly accessible teachers of Buddhist practice. I've encountered less of Pema Chodron's work than Thich Nhat Hanh's, but I have enjoyed what I have encountered. Something I noticed was that because Pema Chodron was an adult who'd grown up in the West when she became a Buddhist teacher (whereas Thich Nhat Hanh started his monastic path very early), I felt that Pema Chodron was able to speak more personally about the common experience of people in the West who do not grow up with Buddhism around them as a societal norm, so that may be helpful to the western dabbler to learn from, too.

One name I've mentioned in the past and always with caveats is Alan Watts. I think he is an interesting and potentially helpful explainer of Buddhist and other Eastern philosophical concepts, but he is not a good teacher of Buddhist practice. He is clever and entertaining, but he might have been too clever for his own benefit, and he reminds me of someone who might say, "Oh, well if Jesus died for all my sins, then I'm just going to keep living how I want and just make a deathbed confession then go straight to paradise."

Despite not being a practitioner nor a good teacher of practice, it was through Alan Watts's lectures (specifically, the ones recorded and compiled in the Out Of Your Mind audio collection and featured in the game Everything) that I first understood Buddhist concepts and perspectives on the nature of reality. In my experience, speculation on the nature of reality by beginning practitioners was discouraged by Thich Nhat Hanh and his student-teachers. Their focus in their practice of Buddhism is to help people heal and transform, and I agree that for some people, too much metaphysical speculation can be a distraction from this work of transforming afflictions. (Plum Villages does have teachings on these more conceptual parts of Buddhism, which can be found in their discourses on the 40 Tenets of Plum Village, but these do not tend to be the focus of their retreats and dharma talks.)

But if part of the barrier of getting a better grasp of Buddhism is understanding its concepts, it's possible that Alan Watts's explanations can help cross that barrier. He has a good way of understanding how reality is popularly conceived of in the West either from a theistic or an atheistic model, and from there he can explain how Eastern thought posits something subtly but meaningfully different from those two models. Once I personally felt satisfied that I understood Buddhist concepts well enough that they weren't totally unintelligible to me anymore, it wasn't long that I wanted to study Buddhist practice from actual serious practitioners and teachers, which, to Alan Watts's credit, I don't think he ever claimed to be.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Praying for that family.

Our church got gifted another building somehow, in addition to the one we're currently using. It's crazy, considering a year ago we had no permanent space at all and now we have two. Sounds like one of them will probably be turned into some kind of community space like a place for the homeless to shower and hang out during the day, or a rehab facility or something.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh I know Alan Watts because of that Everything game, yeah. I might look into him more, thanks.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Another primer I would recommend is the buddha manga by the astro boy guy

or if you want to get really into the specifics of the buddhist view of reality, saint young men about Buddha and Jesus taking a boys trip to Japan

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Caufman posted:

Translating from Classical Chinese to English is going to present many challenges, but having access to multiple translations and commentaries makes the wisdom of the text more accessible. This is helped by the Tao Te Ching being broken up into digestible, short chapters.

I think this relates to what's central to much of what forms Abrahamic mysticism: a gratitude-filled contemplation of being in its myriad forms, from the being that is very personal and internal to us to that which is outside and around us.
Ursula Le Guin was a Daoist who did not speak Chinese. Working with a Chinese scholar, she did her own translation. I am not a Daoist, so I can't attest to whether the translation is good. I can say that it is spare, and moving, and requires thought.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Sister Sabumnim.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
more like sister sabum-kick

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Can any of our Orthogoons shed light on the Kyiv sobor from this weekend?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The way I understand it:

The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) is declaring autonomy, if not full autocephaly, from the Moscow Patriarchate. They've stopped commemorating Patriarch Kirill over his support for the "fratricidal" (their word) invasion of Ukraine, which in essence puts them out of communion with Moscow. They're flirting with the idea of making their own chrism, which would be something of a declaration of autocephaly in itself. And they've given the Kiev Metropolitanate (the formerly schismatic church granted autocephaly by the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and the reason for the MP breaking communion with the EP) terms for entering into dialogue and potentially unifying... though I'm not totally sure how realistic some of them are.

Basically, by supporting the invasion, Patriarch Kirill has shot his entire effort in Ukraine in the foot.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Navigating the web of conspiracy theories some people believe in, in a politically-diverse church is not my favorite thing. Part of you wants to push back hard on this crap but then you have to account for the fact that these aren't just random internet weirdos but people you could actually run into.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Today I'm getting Lectures on the Proofs of the Existence of God by GWF Hegel.

Yesterday I got Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life which is a book about ACT therapy (Acceptance and commitment therapy).
I'm getting a lot out of the therapy book so far.

edit:

I think one of them is the Cosmological Proof which is about bootstrapping. It's origin is in Aristotle and then travelled via Neoplatonism to the Muslim world and then arrived at the west in the 13th Century.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 15, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Off the wall question that I can't find an answer for on google: has Summis desiderantes affectibus (ie "witches are real, you should torture or kill them") ever been repealed / countermanded / overwritten by a subsequent papal bull?

Or is it still "on the books" that catholic theology, as defined by popes handing out the Word of God, recognizes the existence of witches?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think a papal bull is considered ex cathedra and is more of a political command than it is a infallible declaration of doctrine or faith.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Surely something from loving 1000 years ago that clearly breaks with modern human rights and equal rights for women would also fall on it's face if anyone pointed it out to the catholic church. Do they even still have it on the books, so to speak?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think the modern position is that witchcraft isn't real, or at least usually isn't real. Bear in mind the Catholic church operates in some places where belief in such things is a bit more widespread. I found a news story from 2009 where Pope Benedict urged the people of Angola to bring folk suffering under fear of evil magic into the church, not because witchcraft is diabolical, but because it isn't real and accusations of sorcery destroy lives.

(pagan friends I'm not dismissing your beliefs, just quoting what I read)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I took a course in magic and witchcraft at a Catholic university. (It was a history elective, don't get excited) One of the things we went over was this topic - evidently at the time, the official statement of the Church was that witchcraft and demonic possession were real but incredibly rare, and that demonic possession should only be considered a possibility if all avenues of mental health treatment have been tried and there is no clear explanation or diagnosis for continued symptoms.

I don't know about witchcraft but I imagine it's a similar thing, and while I'm sure the Church doesn't approve of Wiccans, stuff like herbs and poo poo seemed to be 'natural magic' as opposed to 'literal gifts from Satan.'

I believe the possibility has to be admitted because of the Witch of Endor, Simon Magus, etc.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh yeah, the article for Summis desiderantes affectibus itself mentions that there is a legal distinction between white and black magic, so even back in year 1000 there was a clear divide between "magic that literally comes from Hell" and "uhh herbs and weird rituals in the bog I dunno"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Whether or not something was considered evil magic or just neat cheat codes God baked into the world varies spectacularly by time and place so honestly it's hard to say.

The guy asking about Summis Desiderantes may actually be thinking of Canon Episcopi, you know, the one that says some people, deluded by Satan, believe they travel at night in the retinue of Diana the Goddess of the pagans, and that this is a foolish superstition that Christians should not believe. IIRC Canon Episcopi was actual Church law but I have no idea how to find out if it still is. It certainly became a bit of a thorn in the side of some people during the European witch hysteria because it outright said that evil magic fuelled by Satan's power wasn't real. The neat thing about the witch hysteria is that in the early Christian era believing in things like witches and vampires was discouraged because those were superstitions for stupid and backwards pagans and now that we are enlightened and intelligent Christians we know that such things are imaginary and not real.

Also hello religion thread, I am a member of priesthood for a small Wiccan temple, feel free to ask questions if you are so inclined.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

evil magic fuelled by satan's power is real and i do it on the reg

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I dunno what you're talking about, I say as I cover my Sigil of Lucifer tattoo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Posers exorcise demons, real OGs convert demons to their religion and make it use its powers to protect believers and holy sites.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Stop trying to make NFTs sound cool

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There still are Catholic exorcists, but they are supposed always to have a doctor check the patient's mental health first. Rando McPriest can't just decide he's an exorcist; his archdiocese will have a exorcism team, which gives me unfortunate images of people in cassocks slam-dunking Satan, but there you go.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There still are Catholic exorcists, but they are supposed always to have a doctor check the patient's mental health first. Rando McPriest can't just decide he's an exorcist; his archdiocese will have a exorcism team, which gives me unfortunate images of people in cassocks slam-dunking Satan, but there you go.

It would be fascinating to see the stats on this, like how many potential exorcisms actually pass that test and how many of those are successful...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i've read about the prisoner in vatican, but what were the other reasons that there were some centuries of only italian popes after the dutch one?

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 5, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TOOT BOOT posted:

It would be fascinating to see the stats on this, like how many potential exorcisms actually pass that test and how many of those are successful...
Who knows where he got the number from, but my prof said that the actual number of factual, passes-the-sniff-test, send-in-the-priests exorcisms the Vatican had called for in America as far as he was aware was like, three.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

i've read about the prisoner in vatican, but what were the other reasons that there were some centuries of only italian popes after the dutch one?

Italian popes appointed Italian cardinals

Italian cardinals elected Italian popes

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

So since I was rejected from the monastery I've been doing a lot of work to discern my next move. That hard work has included working with a Spiritual Director. One the first day I met him my health status came up (he asked why I wasn't accepted) and after I told him I'd been symptom free for well over a year he said, "Hmm, well... I mean... as long as it's under control... let's meet a few more times before you contact anyone." That was four months ago. A few days ago when I started talking about a new order I was interested in he said, "Have you reached out yet? That would be good next move!" I impressed him enough he forgot he was cautious of me.

Pray for me, I am going to contact them this weekend. Just got to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

So since I was rejected from the monastery I've been doing a lot of work to discern my next move. That hard work has included working with a Spiritual Director. One the first day I met him my health status came up (he asked why I wasn't accepted) and after I told him I'd been symptom free for well over a year he said, "Hmm, well... I mean... as long as it's under control... let's meet a few more times before you contact anyone." That was four months ago. A few days ago when I started talking about a new order I was interested in he said, "Have you reached out yet? That would be good next move!" I impressed him enough he forgot he was cautious of me.

Pray for me, I am going to contact them this weekend. Just got to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Good luck! I hope your feet land on the right path for you.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Good luck brother Goon! Which order is it? Can you tell us anything about it?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mad Hamish posted:

Whether or not something was considered evil magic or just neat cheat codes God baked into the world varies spectacularly by time and place so honestly it's hard to say.

The guy asking about Summis Desiderantes may actually be thinking of Canon Episcopi, you know, the one that says some people, deluded by Satan, believe they travel at night in the retinue of Diana the Goddess of the pagans, and that this is a foolish superstition that Christians should not believe. IIRC Canon Episcopi was actual Church law but I have no idea how to find out if it still is. It certainly became a bit of a thorn in the side of some people during the European witch hysteria because it outright said that evil magic fuelled by Satan's power wasn't real. The neat thing about the witch hysteria is that in the early Christian era believing in things like witches and vampires was discouraged because those were superstitions for stupid and backwards pagans and now that we are enlightened and intelligent Christians we know that such things are imaginary and not real.

It should also be noted that the early modern period of Witch Hunts coincided more or less with the Reformation Era. One way churches attempted to prove they were "the best" was by taking accusations of witchcraft seriously, and then point at another church and say "see, they don't care, they're just a bunch of heretics". Protestant and Catholic leaders alike fell into this pattern.

For extra complexity, I believe the Commercial Revolution was also ongoing during that time, adding more societal upheaval which people tend to cope poorly with.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

You have my Rosary today.

Nessus posted:

Who knows where he got the number from, but my prof said that the actual number of factual, passes-the-sniff-test, send-in-the-priests exorcisms the Vatican had called for in America as far as he was aware was like, three.

Archdioceses tend to keep their on-staff Exorcist Priests a secret (It's not a listed job on their websites) because they say they often get accosted by mentally ill people who need professional help, and only pull them out if the situation has been verified as no other explanation.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Good luck! I hope your feet land on the right path for you.

BattyKiara posted:

Good luck brother Goon! Which order is it? Can you tell us anything about it?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You have my Rosary today.

Bless you all!

They are an order of priests with parishes, campus ministries, and urban centers, while also doing things in media like podcasting. They have a reputation for being friendly and open to witnessing to the modern North American person, the latter is in fact a major part of their charism. If I get in I'll give their name, I'm, maybe irrationally, afraid of getting doxxed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was reading a book and it mentioned the Jesuit involvement in something called the Dreyfus Affair. Googling that, the first result was a JSTOR link which discussed the "Assumptionists" and their "sumptuous beards." This is what I'm posting about since the article mentions these beards are signs of worldly vanity in Roman Catholicism but wisdom in Orthodox.

I've never once thought about it but....yeah, I've never seen a Catholic priest with a beard, very different from Jewish rabbis or Muslim imam. I dunno, maybe it's interesting to me because it's one of those things which is so obvious in retrospect.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I would listen the hell out of a Monkcast

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was reading a book and it mentioned the Jesuit involvement in something called the Dreyfus Affair. Googling that, the first result was a JSTOR link which discussed the "Assumptionists" and their "sumptuous beards." This is what I'm posting about since the article mentions these beards are signs of worldly vanity in Roman Catholicism but wisdom in Orthodox.

I've never once thought about it but....yeah, I've never seen a Catholic priest with a beard, very different from Jewish rabbis or Muslim imam. I dunno, maybe it's interesting to me because it's one of those things which is so obvious in retrospect.

I've known many Roman Catholic priests with beards.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've known a couple but it's definitely less common in general than some religions. I think it probably just follows local fashion since there are, as far as I know, no actual rules about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Capuchin friars normally (it's not required any more) have beards.

quote:

The Capuchins are unique for a Catholic religious order in that the growing of natural, untrimmed beards features as part of its first Constitution, which states as the reason, the beard is "manly, austere, natural, an imitation of Christ and the saints of our Order, and despised."
Dates to 1529