Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you dump a can of cream of mushroom, a can of tuna, some velveeta, and some green peas over some noodles. Then bake it at 350° for twenty minutes you've made a hotdish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch rahxephon instead

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You have an extremely unhealthy way of thinking Bugman.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That just sounds like neo platonism with scientific characteristics.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

Hmm what happened??

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

Sorry it's behind a paywall

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

looks like Georgian to me, but don't quote me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Here's a link to both threads if you aren't following them, they've got actual historians there so hopefully they can help you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You shouldn't join or use discord. It's been funded by tencent a known arm of the chinese communist party.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A real Paul Auster he was.

WrenP-Complete posted:

The leavening process, according to rabbinical law, happens when a cereal grain (wheat, spelt, barley, rye, and oats) mixes with water and time, because of "air leavening" like how bread was leavened back in Torah times. If you make matzah before the time is up, you've created something made from those grains that isn't going to leaven.**
That's how matzah is permitted.

**Some Jews - like how Civilized Fishbot grew up also don't eat matzah+water ("gebrochts) because of a concern of some errant flour getting into the matzah making process.**

We are filming our teaching seder tomorrow, two weeks early. There's so much to do! Film crew coming over tomorrow afternoon! Praying for strength and stamina out here !

I'm probably reading this wrong but couldn't you grind your own flour to prevent this?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

I just wanna say your (chill, measured) Satanism and sincere posting is an interesting and appreciated (imo) contribution to the thread. In my opinion.

In local news,

COMPUTER.

ENHANCE

oh deer
I really wanna go to the park in Nara where all the deer are tame and you can just walk up to them, such peaceful creatures. Very good if you don't have a field or garden cultivated

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

We’ve got an elk herd close to that where I live. They tolerate runners and bikers. Dogs and particularly aggressive photographers get the why don’t you gently caress off display.
I remember when I was a child there was always deer grazing in the field near my Gramps house. Even a few years ago they used to hang around the parks and occasionally be dumb and wander into the main roads in town, I haven't seen any lately, It really brings me down, they're like giant rabbits. I wouldn't gently caress with Elks though they'll gently caress you up if you accidentally set them off, lot of tourists in Yellowstone forget that wild animals are still wild

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spacegrass posted:

I read the Koran, even though I'm Christian. In a lot of that book they use the word "We", often. Like: "We created man, from sperm". Sometimes I think it may be Aliens that wrote some of this book. Thoughts all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_we

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I know very little about Islam, but I do know they constantly bullied Christians about it back in the day, likening it to Polytheism.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

There’s a difference between saying that Easter has clearly pagan elements as practiced, and claiming that the entire holiday is derived from Germanic paganism, when most Christians don’t even call it Easter but Pascha or some kind of variation. Anyone trying to de-emphasize something that clearly draws on Christianity’s origins in Judaism should be challenged, especially when they’re trying to impugn Nordic-Aryan characteristics on the religion where there aren’t.

You could also say that Christianity had Pagan elements added to it, but only because the Pagans were able to grasp at the fringes of the "True" religion. Like how Plato had a better understanding of God than most the lads and lass's I talk to now a days

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How do you know your translated bible is any more accurate then the local priest?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Considering suicide the only fail state is also really weird. Granted I find modern sexual politics to be repulsive. Hookup culture is leading to a large amount of very unhappy people.

That said I don't think most religions are anti sex. Moreso their anti sex before marriage, you wouldn't consider Christianity anti food because it tells us to fast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

And homosexuals and other forms of non-procreative sex?

You're making a lot of sweeping generalizations that you really should not be.

I would honestly tell you to take a step back and drop your preconceived notions, This is quite possibly the only entirely sincere Thread on this website. Rolling up to the thread and saying all of religion is anti sex is not a great way to start a conversation.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 10, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Saying God "is" is the same thing as saying He exists, i.e. it's nonsense. We're trying to talk about an entity that is by definition the source of everything, literally everything, including time and space and existence and reality. He is outside of all of these things and therefore it is impossible to talk non-metaphorically about God, or at least God the Father, because we cannot even imagine anything without time, space, etc.

That's how I always saw it.

zonohedron posted:

We (well, Catholics) can say "God is" without it being nonsensical, because God said that "I Am Who Is" was his name. God's constant action is be-ing; what God does is be, and he be-s in a way we can't, because our existence is not only conditional, it's constantly supplied by God by God's continual be-ing.

(Someday I will invent a conlang where talking about this makes sense.)
Lol then you'll fall into the philosophical trap of spending sixty thousand words defining the words that you use to define the words you use

I feel you tho

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just don't have a Facebook. It's never led to any good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Brigham Young was the governor of Utah, though that's not quite 'head of state'

If I'm remember correctly he might as well have been.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.psypost.org/2021/05/new-study-links-intrinsic-religious-motivation-to-higher-level-patterns-of-thought-60857

Kind of interesting article I stumbled on. Certainly holds true to me personally. I can't say I've ever thought as much about the how's and why's of life as I did once I became religious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's like banning doc martens to deal with Nazis. Totally ineffective. Imo all this does is hurt people caught in the crossfire. If people are using tridentine mass performatively, I doubt pope Francis telling them to stop is actually going to effect much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot of people unable to separate the good from the bad. In their view George Washington would be totally irredeemably evil regardless of any good precedents he set. It's become very common nowadays.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If there's one person who needs Jesus it's Britney. She's been through the wringer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes she was. Her family is also forcing her to perform constantly to make money that they steal from her as administrator fees.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's in a conservatorship so she's legally not in control of her own affairs. To be fair I don't know if the IUD precedes her conservatorship, but she's publicly stated she wants it removed.

The whole situation is absolutely hosed. She was raised by her parents purely to make money for them, and the courts have allowed them to take her agency even as an adult.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I recommend reading the Confessions of Augustine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure chick thinks Catholics worship baphomet or some such thing. Idk las time a saw a chick tract it was on a urinal at the Costco. Appropriate location I think

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They were preselected based on popularity and the entire enterprise was made to build clout instead of a lasting, loving marriage? You might actually be on to something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your really just gonna out the secret of french cookery like that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Depends. My family is pretty adventurous but they all look down their noses at southern/soul food for some reason. I assume it’s because they think everything is deep fried or covered in sugar and they have an aversion towards the South because Republicans live there.

Basically every good cuisine that the US has ever produced has been a result of the cultural melting pot that is the Southern US. BBQ, Creole and Cajun, Tex Mex, even SoCal cuisine. Northern food tends to be a pale imitation of French and Anglo cooking.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Spoken like someone who's never gone looking for more than an Applebee's north of Memphis.

( I kid, I kid. )

Regional cuisines have more variety than you give them credit for. The upper midwest, for an example a lot of this thread is familiar with, is heavily influenced by German and Dutch immigrants.

A great deal of the 'bland' reputation involves assuming the recipes that came out of the Great Depression are as deep as it goes.

Lol I live in the Midwest I'm so deep in that that I cannot even consider it real food.

Truly the best pickles are the ones you have to scrub yourself in your grandmas tub as a kid, my mom's tried, but she's never managed to come close to grammas.

Fritz the Horse posted:

have you heard the wonders of chislick

I can't believe Chislic hasn't taken off more in the rest the country, It's perfect bar food.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always assumed it was fish roasted on a stick. They're kinda out in the boonies without tableware, and your gonna need a way to hold the fish.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

But numbers, or the concept of them would exist regardless of any items to be counted by virtue of their ratios to other numbers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a type of nut, sort of C shaped. Top tier nut for sure. Behind peanuts

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Quantities would exist.

Numbers are a human conceit to better categorize objects.

Zero, as a number, is a concept that was not solidified in western thought until well after the advent of engineering.

Zero as a number, or lack thereof wouldn't exist, but the concept of zero would exist regardless of human existence. To put it this way, the concept of relations between numbers would exist even in a universe without a single atom, or joule of energy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yeah? How so? Does this extend to all concepts, including ones that have not yet occurred to humans?

Yeah, everything that exists or could possibly exists already does so. They just exist in a sorta higher plane than we can perceive, of course we do as well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was listening to Dave Chang's podcast, and he was talking about synthetic meat and brought up an interesting conundrum that's we're going to have to deal with.

Should/is it permissible for people to eat synthetic meat? As in if your Muslim or Jewish can you eat a product that's chemically identical to pork, but did not involve the slaughter if a pig. I've been thinking about this for a minute when I was thinking if it was alright to eat the beyond meat during lent. I ended up mostly rolling with tempeh but it's been rolling around in the head for a minute. Any thoughts?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh yes, I think it's two different questions. Non-meat that closely resembles pig would presumably be fine since it's still not even meat, exactly like they say. It would need to be certified kosher just like any other non-meat product.

I'm talking more about the concept of actual meat but grown in a way that doesn't involve a living walking breathing animal.

I think there's like three or four categories.
Imitation "Meat" Like seitan made to resemble Chicken or Pork
Impossible style meat lab grown to resemble beef or chicken
Lab Grown meat that's chemically identical to meat, but isn't created from the flesh of an animal
and Cloned Meat, which I don't think currently exists but probably will in the future.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For lent, avoiding meat isn't about the animal or even the product itself, but rather about fasting and sacrifice. It's like, sure, a lobster dinner on a Lenten Friday technically meets the requirement, but it completely violates the spirit. So for Catholics at least, I would say that vat-steak is a no go during days of abstinence.

On the other hand, vat-steak has the potential to be much more environmentally friendly, and if this ends up being the case then Catholics would in some sense be obligated to eat vat-steak instead of the real thing.

Yeah Dave was talking that, and I was thinking that. I had a couple of Impossible patties last time and it always felt wrong. It isn't exactly beef but it's close enough that It felt more like I was cheating than actually learning anything from sacrificing something. That said it's not as if Mock food isn't something that people have been trying to create for centuries. And personally I ended up eating something like 60# of shrimp last year, which doesn't feel all that sacrificial to me. But at the same time I did at least try and make an effort to really increase my intake of Seitan, Tofu and such. Although my "Needs" are different being an amateur lifter I need a ton more protein than the average person, and really have to weigh that against my own religious beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I got to thinking about how nearly, maybe every religious text predicts the future and tries to prevent the worst outcome. I've heard some talk of how Jewish religious obligations prevented them from eating the meat that was most likely to carry disease, not saying that's a true claim that's what I heard. But so many religions proscribe a period of fasting or abstinence from meat, including todays social media religion with it's meatless mondays and such, is this not a solution to yesterdays problems and the problems facing the world today such as pollution and climate change?