Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Ad multos annos!

I'm our resident SSPX traditional Catholic / Latin Mass fancier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Quite the opposite for me. Exploration of Christian history has only deepened my faith. My beliefs have changed some as a result, being better informed and less naive, but never really challenged in the sense of abandoning them.

Same for me. Even the more hideous scandals in history help me to see that there is more than just knucklehead man at work here. Plus history is awesome.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

My friends, casseroles and hot dishes are nice but can't we all agree that the pies made by the littlest and oldest ladies are the best thing on the 1970’s era card table over by the coffee urn?

The smell of stale coffee fills the church of God.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

PantlessBadger posted:

Full disclosure, I own a silly hat.

I would like to see the hat.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

PantlessBadger posted:

Bit blurry, but that's what you get when trying to take pictures of silly hats, I guess.

Excellent biretta Father!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

White Coke posted:

Good news, Jelly Bean pulled through.

Hooray! St. Guinefort comes through again!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Does man have the capacity for the infinite? I think yes, but either way there are logical consequences.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

docbeard posted:

It turns out that apocalyptic sex cults are not actually that great a time.

Good thing we've all learned that lesson from history and nobody has tried it since.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

for those of you who aren't familiar, dietrich bonhoeffer was a german pastor and theologian who also, you know, actively worked to stop the nazis

And executed by the nazis out of spite just weeks before the end of the war.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Thatís rather explicitly the temptation offered by the serpent.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Bruenig is a goonette, but I don't think she's wandered into our thread.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Someone can be simultaneously "cancelled" and "forgiven."

Bring back public penance. Bishops and policemen and politicians in sackcloth and ashes, fasting and begging passerby to pray for them.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

ThePopeOfFun posted:

So to bring it full circle, my interaction with those tweets is something more like, yes forgiveness is a core Christian practice, but I see grief, confession and repentance as MORE necessary Christian practices.

I would say that forgiveness is empty without grief, confession and repentance. Contrast Dante's Inferno with Purgatorio.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Welcome to the thread CarpenterWalrus. Do you have any silly hats in your ceremonies?

As a Catholic, I hear a lot about Satanism taking ceremonial rituals from Catholicism in particular. In your experience, is there a similar drawing from other faiths? It always struck me that the Eastern liturgies have more of the pomp and opulence that you mention.

Also, are Satanists properly speaking atheists? Or is it more of a dualism?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Honestly, I think it's the aesthetic and the "freaking out the squares" that appeals to a lot of us.

Are you old enough to remember the "Satanic Panic"? I'm curious how it was viewed from the other side.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I genuinely love religion as a whole, and I have personal grievances with institutions and how religion's used moreso than with individual believers, so when someone reacts adversely to my own expression of belief, I shrug it off.

Comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Is Satanism more common in the US than elsewhere?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

What do Satanists believe about hell? If someone is a bad Satanist, are they sent to heaven?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I consider the pomp and circumstance of Catholic ritual to be its greatest strength. I, personally, have known a few agnostics who've full-on converted to Catholicism because of the appeal of the rituals. I think if Catholic leadership leaned into its aesthetic, it could attract a lot of Millennials/ Gen Z who're looking to slot into that spiritual infrastructure.

This is driving a great deal of the Latin Mass trend in the Catholic Church.

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think that's likely until the Church stops having another round of 'we found more documentation of the abuse clergy was doing that you've been hiding' every six months. That's pretty much the biggest thing young people these days not raised Catholic know about the Church.

Edit: Also, you know, being doctrinally homophobic, transphobic, and opposed to the bodily autonomy of women.

Public penance for bishops please.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

Judas' betrayal was necessary. He repented. I have no problem with him going straight to Heaven. I'm more interested in the Bad Robber crucified next to Jesus. When Jesus clearly say to the Good Robber that they will go to Heaven together, what happened to the Bad Robber?

My headcanon is Jesus and GR on their way to Heaven. Jesus turns around and shouts "Hey, BR? Don't you want to come with?" BR finally feels forgiven and loved, able to forgive himself, and all three of them enter Heaven together.

Well he does ask Jesus "If thou be the Christ, save thyself and us". So it seems like there could be a door opened there. If he were saved, he surely has paid for his crimes by suffering a bad reputation throughout history.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

That's taking a harder line than the Vatican and the SSPX even. Not going to save lives or souls that way.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

So Question #2 is whether Christ was born a man and granted Godhood or was right from the get-go, right?

Please answer in essay form and show your work.

Question 3: Rome is ____

a) Founded by the gods
b) Where Peter is
c) Constantinople
d) Babylon fart mouth

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The Something Awful Ecumenical Spaghetti Dinner will now be a Something Awful Ecumenical Fast.

Ah good. Which holy city will it be held in?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

White Coke posted:

What's the difference between meditation and contemplation, in the Christian mystic tradition?

There are books and books written on this topic. The short answer is that meditation is preparation for contemplation.

Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen OCD posted:

The meditation or personal reflection that we make on the divine gift or on the mystery that we have selected in our reading, serves a double purpose: the one intellectual, the other affective. The intellectual purpose is to understand better God's love for us, as it is manifested in the mystery or in the divine gift that we are considering, and thus to be ever more convinced of the loving invitation addressed by God to our soul. The affective purpose consists in moving the will to the exercise of love and to its manifestation by responding to the divine invitation. Meditation becomes therefore the immediate preparation for loving conversation with our Lord.

This transition should not be made at a precise, almost mathematically determined moment, but in a wholly spontaneous way. By making our reflections in the presence of God, and thus seeing more clearly how much God loves us, we easily feel moved to speak lovingly to Him. On the other hand, the reflections that we were making before to ourselves, we continue for some time conversing with our Lord, and this serves to give us a keener realization of His love. Finally we leave behind all considerations in order to abandon ourselves fully to the exercise of love and its manifestation, and thus we pass to the loving colloquy. In this conversation we tell God and repeat in a thousand ways that we love Him, that we desire to love Him more and to prove our love to Him.

Because when we are speaking with God and listening to Him, we do not continue to reason as in meditation, but we give our attention in a general manner to the mystery we have pondered in the meditation itself, or else we simply gaze at Jesus or our heavenly Father with Whom we are speaking. In this simple regard is verified the traditional idea of "contemplation:" the simple gaze that penetrates truth. And since in this colloquy God is accustomed to communicate His light, so under this aspect there is verified in some way what in a fuller sense pertains to true contemplation, namely an infusion of heavenly light.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

White Coke posted:

Can you recommend any books to get started, or is it the sort of thing where you need someone to personally instruct you?

What helped me may not help you, since each soul is different. But I really enjoyed The Prayer of Love and Silence.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My confirmation / first Communion was tonight, I'm now officially a Catholic!

Congratulations! Ad multos annos!

By the way, I have heard it on good authority that Christ is risen.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

My Grandfather left this life behind this morning. Ever the gentleman, he waited until my mother had left the room to go get coffee.

His last words were his musical cadence of "and I love you" in response to my mom. His pain is over and while I'll miss him, I'm glad he is at rest.

Requiescat in pace.

While those may be his last words, I hope they may also be his first words of a new life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Tell us about Sophia.