Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

White Coke posted:

What are the terms under which a church enters communion with Rome? Like the Eastern Catholics (Uniate being a pejorative for some reason?) recognized the pope but kept many other aspects of their churches intact. What’s required of them, and where are they given leeway?

You may find this essay series edifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Crossposting from the buddhism thread jn the interest of ecumenicalism

My father, when he was very ill from cancer, would prepare his meal and grab a treat for the dog. Before his meals, Dad would meditate for about a minute, and the dog would sit in absolute stillness until Dad opened his eyes and handed him his treat. I don’t believe in rebirth but if I did our beloved dog would certainly be living in the human realm. He was virtuous the goodest boy.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Is there a SA bug that made you post 1 month late or something?

Took me a second.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I consider myself fairly conservative but if there is one aspect of conservatism that has never made sense to me, it's the anti-sex thing. No doubt this hatred for sex is why progressives tend to valorize it. Neither view has any merit. Sex is like eating or pooping, just something that happens and we move on. It does not deserve any special moral consideration, either for or against.

I think eating absolutely has moral considerations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

We're amillennialist, meaning "we're in the millennium now, and no, it's not going to be a literal thousand years". Millennialists expect a future millennium. Post-millennialists believe they have to institute a thousand-year period of peace before Christ will return, pre-millennialists expect that Christ will return and then there'll be the thousand-year period of peace.

THANK YOU. I keep getting the terminology confused; this is so precise.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Oh, is that the "please, give me more details" light, illuminating on the console? It is???

So post-millennialists might believe in a Rapture, where all the believers are snatched away into the sky by Jesus before he judges the sinners. Pre-millennialists pretty much always do, but when that Rapture is going to happen differs:
Pre-tribulationists believe that it will happen before the seven years of tribulation (that will happen before the millennium).
Mid-tribulationists believe that it will happen exactly at the midpoint.
Post-tribulationists believe that it will happen after the tribulation is over, exactly as Jesus is returning to institute the millennium.

:hmmyes: That's the good stuff.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Another thing I was taught was that pork meat has to be cooked just right or it’s inedible or literally lethal so it’s best not mess with it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

My Bishop is lifting the Mass dispensation as of the last Sunday of this month. I hope this doesn’t prove to be premature.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

I believe in a literal place of separation from God, which my Church calls Hell. I do not believe God uses the threat of Hell to make us straighten up, or that God punishes us with it, though. God created us to know Him, love Him, and serve Him in this life, so as to be happy with Him forever in the next, but not because if we don't do those things he won't let us, but because we have to do those things so that we will find "constantly being in God's presence" something that makes us happy.

At the end of our lives, either we'll experience God's constant presence as infinite joy, or as humiliation, embarrassment, aggravation - for some of us it will remind us of getting to spend an entire day with our best friends, with absolutely no negative distractions, and for some of us it will remind us of having to spend an hour making polite conversation with our least-favorite coworker, with absolutely no positive distractions. So some of us will turn our back on the source of everything good, and choose to have nothing at all that is positive or pleasant; we'll be in Hell, and we'll be alone, and we'll be there forever, because we literally won't have time, time will not be a thing we have anymore, to change our minds.

I can't remember, are Catholics permitted to be annihilationists? If I remember correctly some of the Early Church Fathers were?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

The Old Guard of the thread might remember my long and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to enter religious life. It’s been almost 6 years since my last attempt which was with a Trappist monastery. Out of nowhere today I got a call from the Vocations Director of that monastery. He was wondering where I was in my “discernment journey” and told me he would remember me in his prayers. It was nice to hear from him, he’s a kind older monk. But the call kinda made me wonder, well, why? Not why did he call but why did this happen? Is this some kind of, for want of a better term, sign that maybe I should start thinking about trying again? My health is getting better and I’m still young enough that most places would consider me. It’s like I told my sister, I won’t get excommunicated no matter how many people say no. I’m not going to try anything anytime soon, but I might start changing how I live in a way that anticipates it. Increased prayer, etc. That would be a good thing no matter what happens.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I just accidentally texted the f-word to my pastor because I had the wrong conversation selected in iMessage

Your pastor will forgive you, it’s in the job description.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

I gave my sermon! It was about becoming aware of our own reactivity, calming ourselves, and taking a deeper dive into a multiplicity of truth, dialectic and non duality. My grandfather said it was an encapsulation of the values he's been trying to impart to me my entire life. Really incredible experience.

Shabbat shalom (or just shalom, if you prefer) to all...

Congratulations!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pershing posted:

St. Benedict, St. Dominic, St. Francis, St. Ignatius of Loyola, please intercede on behalf of Thirteen Orphans. BVM, please join in our prayers. Lord, please place Thirteen Orphans wherever it is right for him (her? I can't remember!). Our Father...

Thank you for the prayers! (You and the others.)I am a him, in case you wanted to know. :)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

:woop: Congratulations!!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

God be with you and your wife.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Hey religiongoons.

Pope Francis is restricting the availability of the Latin Mass, which is going to put a lot of my friends in a very difficult position. I'd appreciate your prayers for the situation. I'm going to continue to be in apparent disobedience for some time I guess.

Reading up on this I have to say I’m surprised. He didn’t just repeal Pope Benedict XVI’s rule, he made it even more onerous to celebrate the Tridentine Mass. Prayers for you all.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Did I read correctly, this does not change the rules surrounding the use of Latin in the Ordinary Form, correct?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Freudian posted:

This is just concerning the Tridentine Mass, yes.

That’s what I thought. Though I don’t want it to come off that I’m implying that because we can still do the OF in Latin that should be enough.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

That’s not right. :(

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Man, is this what it feels like to be super pissed off at Pope Francis? I’m so sorry, all, this sucks.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Freudian posted:

All I am asking for this thread is to not make excuses for the Inquisition. If that's too much for some posters then maybe this isn't the space I thought it was.

That’s not too much. We have had a history that no amount of adjectives (horrible, terrible, disgusting, etc) can accurately describe. We have to come to terms with that and figure out where to go from there. Listening to the peoples and their descendants that we hurt is number 1 on the list.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Please pray for my aunt P. She is super morbidly obese to the point she can’t release enough carbon dioxide from her lungs so she had to be hospitalized and put on a ventilator. The doctor says if she can breath without the ventilator later on she will be OK, but that’s a big if. My mother is, obviously, quite upset and will be driving 500 miles there after work tomorrow and then 500 miles back on Sunday for work Monday (my mother is a beast). Please pray for her as well.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I say this with all the love and good faith in the world, I feel like every time I pick a random Bible section, I pick something that deeply irks me.

Like a sample I used to listen to a lot before I even I got my first Bible was from Romans so I thought I'd start there. This was years ago but anyway, I got to the part condemning being gay and was like nope.

The other day I started reading Genesis and God gives Adam dominion over Eve and women....

Just now I was downloading a Bible from Audible and clicked on a part to see if everything was fine and heard God Himself commanding the death of women and infants.

I know Christianity is more than the Sermon on the Mount and peace and love. That's fine. But I guess my thing is I would hope anything you devote your life (and afterlife) to would be perfect. Homophobia and baby murder is the total opposite of that. Humans can be flawed, the Church can be a horrible institution of injustice, but God and the laws he lays down? Is it too much to ask they all comply with what you believe?

I dunno. I think I believe in God. A personal God, not just the idea of a God. Or maybe it's more of a Goddess for me, even. (thanks to the poster from pages ago recommending She Who Is) But the details are always working against me. A poster earlier suggested I'm just afraid, and I don't doubt that is part of it. But I also don't think it's all of it. I know these objections are fairly common. But I always hated the New Atheist types. I would never wanna be that.

Are you familiar with the Talmud, the commentaries on the Hebrew Scriptures? We didn’t adopt them into our canon when we broke from Judaism but those commentaries are eye-opening. They really wrestle with the Scripture, sometimes to the point of breaking it over their knee. A good example “spare the rod and spoil the child” was commentated “let your rod be as a shoelace.” Stuff like that. Kinda similar to our Early Church Fathers.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Freudian posted:

I will say, you guys didn't adopt them because they had yet to be written for several centuries :v: but otherwise I endorse this point. There's even a school of thought in Jewish theology that asks whether permitting the Holocaust was a breach of contract on God's part - a famous story along these lines talks about Jews in a concentration camp, who put God on trial for his crimes, and find him guilty. Having done so, they adjourn to pray.

(the best thing about this level of critique of God is that you have the precedent to hold the Sages to the same level of scrutiny - my first sermon was calling out the Talmud on covering up sexual assault in the Torah)

Whoops, got my dates mixed up.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanted to update those that were following. My aunt is doing better and they think she can be discharged middle of the week with aftercare. Thank you for your prayers.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m having a sleep study done tonight. Please pray they find something, (hopefully apnea) that can be addressed and enable me to live a better, fuller life.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

I broke my foot yesterday and can't get a cast until next week. If the bone moves too much between now and then I'll need surgery.

I have a 3 year old and a very active hobby that requires my feet to be in tip-top shape, so needless to say I'd like a quick and full recovery. Please pray for me.

Also pray for Brittany because that situation is all kinds of hosed up and has been forever.

Very sorry to hear, that sounds awful. God be with you.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I have had quite the day.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and given a prescription for a CPAP. This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for as this is a treatment I know will help.

Also, I had a call with the Vocations Director for a monastery I’ve been eyeing. At the end of the call he invited me to spend two weeks with the monks living in the monastery.

Thank you and bless you all for your prayers. Today is a good day.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

If there was one way to start an argument among the campus ministry crowd it was to bring up music used in the liturgy.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Tias posted:

Not a christian, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention David Eugene Edwards. He plays exactly the kind of crazy christian americana you could only make if you were born in the wilderness to a bunch of hellfire preachers, and it is amazing. I prefer his early stuff with the band 16 horsepower, though the new band Wovenhand is also pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHFG9tT-imc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-vpAn15-vE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_vdlo2X2ug

This is so my jam! Thanks for sharing!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

docbeard posted:

(Tangentially related, Weird Al's 'Amish Paradise' leaped into my head today and I adore it and could also write an essay on the historical and theological inaccuracies of his Amish-themed parody of a Coolio song. I probably won't. BUT I COULD.)

Not just could, but absolutely should.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I like when Sufjan Stevens plays with and explores Christian themes. Seven Swans is really really good.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I would appreciate prayers for the sake of my kidney. There's a possibility I've figured out what's been messing it up and God willing, changing one of my medications might fix it.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant, Night10194.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Edit: Accidental blasphemy.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 17, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is no way that Our Lady of O'Keefe up there isn't supposed to be what it looks like.

edit: Very helpful halo, though.

.....I think you’re right.... sorry to make you all see that. :(

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

One of the regulars at the cafe I work at handed me a Chick-Tract with his name and number on it and said “Read this and call me; I’d love to chat with you about it!” Fortunately he did not ask me my religious affiliation. Funny timing as I’m leaving for the monastery for 2 weeks on Sunday. If you could say a quick prayer for me that this experience is fruitful I would appreciate it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He knows, I guarantee you. One of your coworkers probably mentioned it to him in small talk since it is pretty unusual and interesting and he took that as an invitation. Which one was it? The Buddhist chick tract is super-lame it’s just a rich Asian dude everyone loves going to hell, they don’t even print it anymore. All the other non-Protestant religions got delightful rabid nonsense about moon gods and satanic conspiracies and Buddhists just get a form letter.

I’m Catholic, I’m not sure how unusual and interesting that is. :shrug:

Edit: It was this one.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 18, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Worthleast posted:

I am in admiration of your perseverance. Knock and it shall be opened.

Thank you. :)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

I thought he just had adventures with a stuffed tiger.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

JcDent posted:

Those people took that CKII mod waaay to seriously.

You can’t say that and not post the mod.