Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hello to the new kalpa of hatposting. I am a Buddhist; I would say "Tendai" in particular after extensive reading and consideration, though between being in the US and this whole plague thing I have not been able to get out and join a community. :v:

I will also share the Buddhism thread link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914597 - the OP by our own Paramemetic is a really excellent introduction to many core ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I agree with that, but then why follow the Christian faith in particular? Why not UU, or deism, paganism? Just personal preference? I worry that, because I consider human attempts to comprehend the Divine to be inherently doomed to fail, you cannot make any meaningful statements about the Divine. It becomes like those centrists that say because both sides "have problems" they're both equally bad, and everything becomes a blurred mess with nothing defined.

Not criticizing anyone's faith, of course, more working out my own stuff and how I consider one should relate to the Divine while being open minded.
One of the factors you have to consider is individual experience. I was pretty wideranging/agnostic until I had a personal event and resulting experience on the grounds of a nearby Buddhist temple, and now I am a Buddhist (if not of that temple's sect). I have no idea how common experiences such as this are, but when they happen to you it's very hard to argue with them. So this isn't always a process done by cost-benefit analysis, or based on philosophical comparison and contrast.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

Learning how new Biblical Literalism is was one of the things that brought me back to Christianity. I wasn't raised as a Biblical Literalist, but I didn't have the knowledge to respond with anything more than "The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally" when people pointed out scientific errors or contradictions.

Two other things that got me away from Atheism were: 1. seeing a guy riding around on his bike on college campus shouting New Atheist talking points to no one in particular. 2. A video where Christopher Hitchens questioned the Koran by asking why God would choose to give a backwards culture like the Arabs his final revelation instead of a more advanced one like the Chinese, or Greeks, or just about anyone other than the Arabs.
I do believe that old Jehovy has shown a tendency to shine his light upon the small rather than the great, based on a cursory knowledge of Bible stories.

My favorite story is when I was doing a year at a small Catholic university and while walking around I heard someone who was declaiming with great vigor that he was a Christian TO THE CORE!!! while I was walking past - not addressing me, of course. I paused, because they seemed to be a pause, and I said to him: "You're a Christian, deep down?"

He affirmed that he was.

I asked if I could have his coat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HopperUK posted:

It's hard to explain internal events to folk isn't it? I was just thinking about one of the very few what I'd term 'religious experiences' I've had and it boils down to 'I saw a very beautiful cloud' but it feels like there aren't words in English to explain what actually happened.
I think it is weirdly enough something that it would be easier to film or even program in a video game than to just describe in words.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

I think it would be fairer to simply understand that you don't believe and to reconcile yourself to it, instead of to aim at it continually when you are, in effect, lying about it.

If you don't believe in God, but act in a moral way and make it plain that you do not believe in God whilst doing so, is that more of a blasphemy than to do all the correct actions whilst also committing crimes?
The reason you would continue the practice of belief that you may not hold completely or reliably would be to reinforce that belief. When you repeat a practice and train and discipline yourself in a certain way, you will tend to build particular habits, whatever they are. I would say that these habits, these trainings, these conditionings are what you could actually call "belief" in a more objective way than your own interior perspectives, which as we both know, can often be badly skewed. You will remember the four or five intervals, non longer than a weekend, where you questioned your faith, and will overlook the twenty, thirty, sixty, ninety years of dedication.

The latter probably depends on your particular sect, although to quote Shinran Shonin who was dealing with the question of 'if we say Amida's name and go to the pure land for sure, why not do crimes and engage in lusts and defilements right now since we're going there anyway?' of 'Do not develop a taste for poison, just because there is an antidote.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

We can do nested quotes now?? Truly a blessing from St. Ofyospos

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

If you don't hold that belief to start with though it seems... not "unreasonable" but also not exactly "fair" to pray. It seems more like "I know that this is right action so I am doing this in expectation that this will stand me in good stead" as opposed to "I am doing this based on what I know to be true".

Sure our interior view can be badly skewed, but there is no way of telling that even if it comes into contact with the real world.

But there is an antidote. The belief that "God will forgive me, it's his job" effectively means that there is no punishment for any crime, no matter how foul and that "justice" in such a universe is rendered comic and tragic.

It's one of the big things I am trying to find out about is if one should forgive oneself. I keep trying to find readable discussions on the subject ,as opposed to self-help guff about "how" to forgive yourself, and it's a real bloody problem.
On the first topic, you are right that it is impossible to Know in the absolute sense, with our fallible human minds. It is possible that a buddha or God truly Knows, in the absolute sense; but they may simply be completely aware of the limits of knowledge. The entire cosmos you inhabit could be a cruel simulation on a disembodied vat-grown brain.

On the second topic, it seems as if you are seeking for a philosophy that states: No, there is no forgiveness; if you have done wrong, you are wrong forever, and there are no amends to be made. Is this accurate? I have a hard time thinking of any particular religion that makes this assertion, at least about the standard-issue crimes and misdemeanors most people are likely to encounter or perform vs. big ticket things like murdering your parents.

On the sub-topic of crime, violations: what is the purpose of justice? Why must there be punishment at all? In my view, in the very long and absolute run everyone is going to experience the fruit of what they have created, both good and bad, one way or another. So the divine or supernatural has very little to do with it. But I do not think justice is created through punishment, although it is in the toolbox, so to speak.

I would say the reason you keep encountering self-help literature is probably that this is a road well trod by people who are suffering very badly in particular ways associated with outcomes people do not want to have happen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

The purpose of justice is restitution and the creation of something better. If there is no justice or no punishment then there is no consequence for wrong action. If you allow for people to do wrong action and then be happy, thrive and grow stronger then there is no such thing as wrong action.

Sure, I understand that, but the operative thing I am looking for is an argument as to why we should forgive ourselves. How is something to work on in the future.
The consequence of wrong action is that you did wrong action. This will have various fruits. The details vary, and as we all know, it is possible to do a petty evil, or "not-an-evil-at-all," and be punished greatly by it, while you can do a shitload of evil stuff and experience these positive fruits.

I disagree with your sentiment that the fact that you can do bad things, and then appear to benefit from them and not suffer those downsides in the immediate perceptible time horizons, means that there is no such thing as a wrong action. However, I can reconcile this through the concept of rebirths, and if you are looking solely at an individual's current incarnated form you will get situations like this. However, I think this is arbitrary - it would be equally arbitrary to say "if they aren't convicted within a week of the crime, there ain't no justice." It's just a question of the time horizon.

As for why to forgive yourself, my argument is: Doing something wrong, and suffering from it, are two separate things. Mechanisms and routes for forgiveness, especially over things which are simply impossible to rectify, allow you to reduce this suffering, this anguish. Suffering is suffering, wherever it is situated. This does not mean that wrong action should not be rectified; forgiveness is for resolving what is left over after rectification is attempted, or when it is impossible - for instance, if I have an argument with my brother and curse him out, and before I see him again he dies in a car accident. I would not be able to make amends for my cruel words to my brother in any kind of objective way. He's dead! I can perhaps use this as a brutal interior lesson in learning the importance of right speech. But I will never be able to apologize to my brother - even when he is reborn he won't be the same fellow.

So in this example (and I'm sure you can think of many others in that general vein), seeking forgiveness or its experience would be eminently valuable. I think it is also valuable if your own forgiveness is sought and you are able to grant it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Yes. That is what I am going for and that is fine. It isn't really fine and that is why I am continually discussing it on the internet, but still. And yeah, it is a difference but I would like to ask, in absolute honesty why we should forgive ourselves. I think it's okay to forgive other people but I can't fully wrap my head round the idea of forgiving oneself.
Dude, it is not fine. There is, quite literally, no crime or offense that you are possibly capable of performing that would somehow make it OK for you to suffer forever, or which would somehow make it good for you to suffer while other people do not. (At least in my perception, but even doctrines of Hell tend to be somewhat less adamant here.) Many of these posts seem to kind of sidewise carve out a situation where you, forums poster Josef Bugman, are uniquely depraved and deserving of eternal or indefinite suffering, and I just do not think that this is true. It is against my morality.

To me, suffering in the strict sense of "what my religion addresses" is far more "interior negative feelings" than, for instance, "ow, that pan sure was hot, I won't do that again." I do not think it would be possible for you to have done anything in this life or any other to be deserving of some kind of indefinite punishment, interior or otherwise, and I do not think it would be somehow therapeutic, either for you personally, or as a general rule ("in theory, everyone shouldn't suffer, but in practice it is good if everyone is constantly tormented to make sure they keep their noses clean.") And at least on the level of the interior landscape, that is much of the purpose of forgiveness. As in my example: At a certain point, beating yourself up is accomplishing absolutely zero possible beneficial effects, even the tiny slim rope of "I won't do THAT again!," and is only increasing the amount of suffering in the world.

The critique of the universe as somehow being wrong or unsatisfactory here is hypothetically interesting if one allows for a Designer or Creator who somehow did something "wrong." (Personally I don't think that is the case.) However, it also seems irrelevant to the specific point of suffering.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

It's more wanting a defined end point for it and knowing that, through being human, there is going to be an urge to judge myself by the softest possible criteria it therefore behoves the person doing it to assume the harshest possible criteria. We all tend to forgive ourselves too easily for our faults and the pain we cause others, to attempt to explain away our actions through ignorance as opposed to malice.

Interior negative feelings are still deserved in some instances though. To try and do away with them because they add to the pool of suffering overall seems impossible. Heck the best place to keep them may well be internal. That way there is no suffering forced outwards on to other people.
I disagree and find your case unpersuasive. Your viewpoint would seem to be that everyone ought to be suffering constantly, but it being OK - even good - because this is teaching them not to misbehave.

This seems to create immense suffering for people who are reflective and sensitive while casting them as needing to provide care and support to others - and people who are not as reflective, or as sensitive, for whatever reason, will thus receive comfort and consideration, while not suffering the interiorized penalties.

Is this justice? You have just recreated the current state of affairs that you deplore, but on an emotional level, where the good (to a general broad affinity proximation) experience guilt and suffering forever, and the bad (also to a general approximation) suffer no penalty other than their own conscience, which presumably they lack, while being able to benefit from other people's support and care.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Forgetting and forgiving are not at ALL the same thing though. I think you're right in that if we hurt someone, it's not a bad thing that we feel bad about it. But we shouldn't torment ourselves forever. That sucks and does no good.
Yes, I am speaking more of ongoing interior torment which can be relieved by forgiveness or its resolution in some other form. Suffering is not somehow good just because you have decided that you're the worst and deserve it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

If it's a personal choice that person has made, isn't it? The alternative of forgiving oneself seems wrong in a way that I have difficulty articulating. It feels, trying to describe the word here, unjustifiable maybe?
If you mean 'you shouldn't just write yourself permission slips for deeds you know drat well are wrong,' I would agree, but that gets you back to Shonin - "Do not cultivate a taste for poison just because you have an antidote."

I would say that carrying all this stuff around does have bad consequences, even though I know you mean it as a joke. It takes away joy in life. It has quantifiable health effects from stress and so on. It can burden and confine your ability to engage in right action, because the right action today may have some resemblance to what was wrong action in another context. This is independent of my general point of, "actually, suffering is bad."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

It has consequences for you. It has no consequence for others.

Could you elaborate more as to why? Inflicting suffering on others is obviously bad, but I don't think that can apply when recrimination is aimed inward.
Yes it does. It has a wide range of consequences for others! More than I can easily sum up. Would you find hypothetical interior reactions of individuals, or larger-scale social effects taken en masse, more interesting or convincing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Both if possible! But social if it's one or the other.
The individual negative response would be the awareness of the suffering of someone who we know. While there are levels of degree and attentiveness, I think it is fair that very few people find the suffering of others to be intrinisically pleasant. Even a sadist will likely be agitated by the sound of human distress outside of their control. While there are outliers, I would hesitate to build an entire theory around the exceptions, even if they are very famous.

You could train people to not pay attention to the interior states of others. This already happens to some extent. I don't think it needs to be encouraged or facilitated any further. Those suffering great interior distress already move heaven and earth to conceal it, in many or most cases, because they do not want to be a bother. This is exhausting, and therefore their other actions are weaker and less focused, and they are more likely to succumb to various temptations and negative outcomes because they have expended their effort on attempting to conceal their interior suffering from others.

In terms of social effects, it is mostly the small things writ large, as well as this tending to cultivate a poor outlook and probably causing compassion to wither rather than bloom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

I think it's necessary to not pay too much attention to the suffering we see all around us, otherwise we'd all go completely bananas. In response to the bolded bit I am unsure that that happens, least of all I am wondering what temptations or negative outcomes there could be.

One can have compassion and still reserve it from oneself. I appreciate the idea but I am unsure as to how true it is.
Do you mean "people should cultivate compassion except for themselves," or "people should cultivate compassion except for forums poster Josef Bugman"? I disagree with both of these, myself, for similar reasons: attempting to cultivate a quality but with huge explicit exceptions will rarely bear much fruit.

I do not think that you can except yourself from compassion.

Did you have thoughts about the other downsides of this exercise? The profound waste of immense amounts of human energy and suffering for absolutely nothing except perhaps some nebulous motivational benefit stands out to me almost as much as the direct facts of suffering. I suppose it is a boon to consumer spending, though! :v:

e: To make a yard-sale quality parable about it, I would say compassion is like muscles, as are many other virtues. Your ability to develop them may have limits but ultimately you need regular exercise, and perhaps focused, deliberate exercise if you want BIG RESULTS. If you approach physical training with an attitude of "I want to get big arms," that can likely be done, but if you approach physical training with "I definitely don't want to develop my left calf," you are at best going to spend a lot of time working around your left calf, and may not get much result at all.

In my view, it is one thing to not emphasize your compassion upon yourself, or even to question that kind of an attitude as a primary focus. But it is another to adamantly set that part of the universe aside.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 20, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

This a million times this.

After forever (even longer than I resisted getting a paid account here) I finally got a FB account. And one of the first people to follow me was someone that, to my (personal) shame, I had wronged. After they friended me in chat I finally apologized to them for having been such a dick to them over such and such incident that weighed so heavily with me. Their response? "Uh, whatever the gently caress are you talking about? I have no memory of such a thing, it obviously didn't affect me, whatever, give yourself a break!"
Yeah, this sort of thing is very common, and I know from full experience that it will certainly be these things that we cling to with such passionate intensity. This is suffering, and the release from suffering. To be more or less official: Josef, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

But what if it's not. Sure it might appear to be a small thing to you at one point, but upon re-examining it we find out that it was in fact a huge mistake that we now cannot undo?
Then you play the ball where it lies, my dude. Why do anything? It might be a devastating mistake.

e: The above was a rhetorical question. Anyway, if I get you right your basic theories on why interior suffering is desirable are as follows: It helps you learn better behavior; you have no right to the interior experience of forgiveness; and there seems to be a third one which I would appreciate if you could articulate more clearly, because it seems to be along the lines of 'stop trying to help people in some situations, despite my other general statements in favor of helping people.'

Leaving the third one aside because I do not fully encompass it and so I have been mentally interpreting it as, essentially, a plea for comfort (or perhaps confirmation of negative feelings):

There may be a whisker of truth to the first statement. In my religious perspective we run into a minor issue often, where the English term "suffering" is used to refer to a different range of phenomena that Buddhism is addressing. In this perspective, suffering includes the feelings that come when considering the inevitable end of a good thing or situation (and thus grasping for it, to try to hold on), as well as the generalized dissatisfaction with the inevitable imperfection of life. I suspect, to some extent, that I am coming off as saying "all non-positive sensations are bad." This is not quite the case, although I would not say that they are "good" either - they just "are."

An immediate stab of guilt or other response, based on cultivated awareness that was just not powerful enough to prevent you from doing the thing in the meantime - or realizing that a negative condition has come into existence even if it was not your will (someone takes offense at something you did, due to misunderstanding you can perceive) - is part of the unsatisfactoriness of reality, but you can decide how to face it from there. The bad condition would be if you cannot resolve this feeling, and it becomes a recurring source of suffering, another arrow embedded in your flesh. Eventually it may be impossible to do so, and beyond the acknowledgement that "yeah, I erred there," it has no utility.

As for a right to the interior experience of forgiveness, I do not think "right" enters into it. "Right" suggests some kind of cosmic ledger or enforcer which I do not think exists, other than the laws of karma, which are more like the laws of gravity than something legislated in Universe Congress. If the interior experience of forgiveness would address suffering without severe side-effects or tending to guide against right action, I see no reason not to embrace it.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 21, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Could you provide a bit of a quote about the third bit, as I am unsure too!

Dukkha, right? The belief that things "are" and that no moral weight can be given to them is very hard for me to wrap my head around. And if I face it by saying "this is part of me". No-one moves on from trauma or pain and "accepting" those things is as near as I can get to feeling blasphemous. I don't accept those things, I reject that any correctly built system would allow these things to flourish.

How are we defining "utility"? Because, whilst it might not be doing me any good I also can't say that it is doing me any ill. Like if we applied this more widely it shades rapidly into "drunk driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not" territory.

I don't think one exists either, but I think one should. The guilty should suffer, so I do. It's not enough, but it is all I can do at present.
I cannot provide you an easy specific quote because this is a gestalt impression from your overall conversation. Please take this with charity as it comes from a place of love, but it seems that you are very insistent that your interpretation of reality is true, and that it always tends towards claiming that it is important that you continue to suffer. I do not think this accords with your other sentiments, for instance towards the material support and comforting of as many people as possible and a generally socialist outlook.

You can still have morality without accepting some kind of cosmic law-giver created this law. Morality is ultimately what sentient beings do to other sentient beings; what shall that thing be? What effects do some actions create, that we can observe? What effects do other actions create? In this case, I believe that you are importing a punishment-based approach to things, saying that it is good to whip and scold and contain and abuse, which is at odds with both the observed and incomplete evidence we can see in our mortal lives and a fairly reliable strain in ethical teaching, extending beyond the Buddha and his students.

Also, "I can't say it is doing me any ill," this one I can quote you on:

Josef bugman posted:

This is what me posting is. I am not entirely joking. I sometimes don't leave the house or talk to anyone because "this" is safe.
That was like, two hours ago. It is doing you ill. You may find this ill FAMILIAR, but that does not mean it is not ill. If I am used to being struck in the face by my brother, if I find it familiar, if I know many others who experience the same things and still live human lives - it is still not good, either for my face or because it is an act of violence.

I understand the dril tweet you are citing, but I think the point you make there is fatuous. I do not think the dril tweet makes a strong supporting argument for your own personal misery.

e: The general question of how to consider utility is a much grander question and I do not have a lot of like, deep bench of citations to make here. However, we can look at the fruit of the actions, or of analogous action. Police states are not therapeutic; people generally do not derive benefit from being imprisoned, particularly in abusive prisons; people do not learn a lesson from being executed by the state. If these methods do not bear fruit for the reform of criminals (and a burglar or a murderer is a criminal even if a non-violent drug offender is not), why would they bear fruit for others? Should we all report to prison immediately, for its immense moral value, that we will be punished, even for things we may have forgotten?

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 21, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

That's fair, will try and work it out. I mean if we don't believe our interpretation of reality is true, we'd stop wouldn't we. I think it comes down to defining and realising that I am not other people. That difference or separation means that others are/can be worthy because they are not me. I'm me, and my choices are crappy ones.

But then morality becomes a matter of popular vote. Which I don't think can be true, or at least I hope is not true. It is good to abuse oneself if it is a choice you've made about something you believe you deserve. It is not fair to do that to others, because they don't deserve it.

I wouldn't say that violence is necessarily wrong. I don't see it as an ill aprioi and, unfortunately, it's impossible to prove that it is an ill. If everything is in flux all the time and all that sort of thing, then we can't prove that hurting yourself isn't okay. (also quick side note, but my spellcheck keeps trying to change "apriori into "DiCaprio" which is hilarious.

That's fair! People don't learn a lesson, and it's why I am generally against a carceral state, but at the same time I see the value in penance and atonement. And sometimes, yeah I do want to go to prison forever, but I still stick around for what needs doing, and for the harm it might cause others.
I formally decline to be included in these categories if they are to be used for the purposes of an interior narrative that you are dumber than others.

On the topic of morality being a matter of popular vote, I don't follow. Some things kind of actually are, but these are "matters of custom," which may well be brutally important for individuals but are to some extent due to the local consensus, which can be changed. Some things, such as harming others, are harmful for reasons external to local traditions. I don't follow your example, and it reads to me as "Well, I'm uniquely depraved and need to be punished, but other people are okay." Most people are parsing this as depressive self-talk, because it sounds exactly like depressive self-talk.

Violence and harm to others is, I think, always bad; but sometimes it is a justifiable bad based on the specific conditions. The fact that an action could in some cases be both bad and good, in different avenues, is part of the complexity of life.

I think that feelings along the lines of, "I should go to prison forever," are not true and accurate perceptions. I hesitate to speculate on their root causes in your particular case, but whatever they are - even if you like, blew up your entire family and their kitten rehabilitation facility when you ere a teenager - nothing is worthy, in my view, of punishment that lasts forever. In the words of Prince, that's a mighty long time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

I find it comforting to learn that every generation of Christians going back to the first has had people predicting that the world is definitely going to end in their life times. I wonder if they also had people who thought that they could decode the scriptures to get things like winning lottery ticket numbers.
I think some of that stuff requires ready access to the Scriptures themselves. While I am not sure how literate or illiterate populations like European peasantry in the middle ages actually were, I am confident they probably did not have home access to the Bible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

No. Things are either good or bad. Other factors may eventually inform if something is good or bad, but those are the only two options. Anything else is introducing complexity for the sake of doing the old thing of "Well I want to do this, but I can't justify it, let me think up some way in which it becomes justifiable". No-one in a story or in real life has ever really agreed with the idea that morality is subjective and not been, at bare minimum, a bit of an arse. You can't go "We are not so different you and I" without falling into Bond Villain solipsism.
Dogg this is exactly what you are doing while searching for a justification on why you, personally, deserve to be miserable and unforgiven. If you allow yourself to do that, surely you must allow the existence of moral complexity, particularly when you recently said "violence is not a priori wrong". :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

That isn't morally complex though! Things are either good or bad, depending on when, but that doesn't mean that the binary state does not exist for either of those things. Plus any attempt to justify oneself is inherently suspect! You wouldn't trust someone on trial just because they said "honest guv" at the end of what they were saying!
I don't understand the trial metaphor. This all seems to keep coming back to criminal justice metaphors.

You probably could sell a lot of copies of a book with something like "God: the Ultimate Police Commissioner" though. You might have to get a ghost-writer to include bible citations...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HopperUK posted:

You're a loose cannon, God, but you get results!
They told him he had seven days... he said he only needed six.

And then the sequel, of course, "he said he only needed three."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

But as far as trial metaphors go, it's worth remembering that forgiveness and permission are not the same thing. Forgiveness means you acknowledge what happened, but are willing to let it go. It does not mean you approve of it. This is something that infests every argument about the death penalty. "I don't think x deserves to die." "But he killed 6 people." "I know, but killing him would be wrong." "But he killed 6 people." "I'm not saying that wasn't wrong, just that this is also wrong." "But--"
Yeah, I've had a number of variations on this because the complex thought of "This thing was bad, but I can understand why it was done in this specific historical context," or "this thing is good, but in this context has significant negative effects," confuses and agitates large numbers of domesticated primates. Especially on Twitter!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Hey, take that back! I have an unhealthy way of thinking about myself. My other opinions are fine.
:chloe: Are you trying to be an Internet Circumcellion or something here?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

Murder is an interesting example because we do consider it okay under certain circumstances. Self defense is acceptable, and we tend to distinguish murder by various degrees of severity so we acknowledge that accidentally hitting and killing someone with your car is different than putting a bomb in theirs. We also generally consider it acceptable for some people to kill as part of their profession, soldiers and police officers.
The way I figure it religiously is: Killing someone is always bad. There are certain narrow circumstances where it is not just bad; and intention matters, too. But you should strive to move as far away from that space as you can.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

zonohedron posted:

(I am very convinced that Hell exists, in part because it makes our choices in this life meaningful, but primarily because we were created from nothing - everything that was created, was created from nothing - so when we put created things, especially our own selves, above God, we're choosing nothing rather than He Who Is. When we die, we get what we asked for: either an experience of perfect existence with no unrealized potential, nothing taken away or obscured (that is, seeing the One whose constant action is be-ing, face to face), or experiencing nothing at all except our own self and its hollowness. Some of us will still be clinging to some nothingness when we die, so (metaphorically) our fingers will have to be pried away from the nothingness; that's Purgatory, and if you don't think "prying fingers off something" sufficiently describes the suffering that some saints have associated with Purgatory, you've never pried a toddler's fingers off anything.)
My big issue with Hell has always been that at a certain point you're giving an infinite penalty for a finite action. I just can't square that even if the finite action was really, really bad. Purgatory has always been far more intuitive to me, even if, of course, now I think any hell realms are all Purgatory, whether they like it or not! :v:

It's funny because as I have mentioned in the past, the fairest system seems to be the Mormon proposal, where everyone is raised at the last judgment and gets all of their questions answered by patient angels and/or Jesus until they are fully satisfied, and only THEN can they make the fully informed, pressure-free decision if they want to go to Hell or be annihilated, I forget which. I don't think Satan gets this privilege, but to be fair Satan seems to know what he was up to.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shaddak posted:

I've been following various iterations of this thread for a few years now. I primarily just lurk here for the good vibes, and good discussions. I was raised as a Christian Scientist but, I'm currently a non-believer and, have been for close to 25 years.
What's up with the reading rooms? This has long mystified me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think some of the "belief in science" is because there has been the relentless framing for a lot of people of "do you believe in our interpretation of THE WORD OF JESUS? Or do you believe in SOME PENCILNECK'S SO CALLED SCIENCE?" and then they say "I believe in science, you heretics!"

But that's then the binary they've created: you choose one or another, or both, even if the choice is essentially meaningless and logically incoherent.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Siivola posted:

If you hit the edit (on desktop) or cog (mobile) button next to the invite link field, you should be able to set it to never expire.

Thanks for entertaining my silly hell question, all! :shobon: I’m actually surprised Dante made that all up, since I was under the impression the older churches have built up a pretty detailed cosmology of angels and such.
I wonder how much was Dante's original creation and how much was the like... penumbra of ideas that develop around a religion which don't go against it, but aren't doctrine, or even theologically related. Like the various theories and practices in Tibetan Buddhism do connect back to core Buddhist ideas in a way that the details of devotion to a Jizo statue in Japan do not.

The Christianity Cinematic Universe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Please, the term is heterodoxy! And it is everywhere.
What's it mean exactly? Is that the stuff which is like "this doesn't go against the teachings, but it doesn't go towards them either."

I remember hearing a piece of particularly detailed trivia here from a Catholic. One might well hope and pray, and believe, that God will take everyone to Heaven, and that nobody will be in Hell except maybe Satan. But you have to allow for the possibility to be in line with the Catholic perspective. Similarly, you don't have to believe that witchcraft is active, common, or anything like a reasonable explanation of phenomena observed now, but you have to admit the theoretical possibility.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shaddak posted:

I'm going to have to say yes to both of these. Now, I don't know enough about the founding of the sect to know if this was intentional. I definitely get the impression, though, that Eddy borrowed a lot of old ideas. As far as gnostic influence in modern Christianity goes, I'm not sure. I've never read of another modern sect with similar ideas.
I think some of these ideas aren't necessarily explicitly borrowed as derived from the same sources. Like a lot of people seem to read the Bible and independently reinvent Arianism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

edit: I should also add my field involves processes that occur on geologic timescales which again, not falsifiable in any reasonable sense. Like I can confidently state that the cooler climate of the Cenozoic era we live in is largely due to silicate weathering of the Himalaya uplift which started ~60-70 million years ago. Just lol falsifying things which occur on a timescale of "tens of millions of years"
Just use your buddha eye to check, bro, nbd

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

Fundamental disagreements about the deepest parts of the human experience are likely to be hurtful and alienating from time to time. This thread has been able to handle those disagreements in a pretty genial live-and-let-live way. Why not continue? If it's too intense for some, there's always every other thread on the forums.
I think we have a lot of good will floating around here, though in this day and age I worry it will swiftly evaporate if we run into some undiscovered hot button issue. Then again, nothing posted, nothing gained

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

An argument I've see pop up is: religious experiences can be caused by drugs like LSD, or by medical conditions like schizophrenia, so therefore any and all religious phenomena are explicable by these means and therefore "untrue".

On a secular, materialistic level this appeals to me because I just want some kind of an answer. The biggest hole in this is that so much of it isn't falsifiable since we have no way of testing whether Joan of Arc was schizophrenic, or if Moses was high when he saw the burning bush, etc. Another red flag is that the people I see pushing this theory aren't neuroscientists or anything like that, they're just random people so I don't know how removed this argument is from its sources. Can anyone with more knowledge speak to this issue?
My personal take, based somewhat in Buddhist thought, is that you may see Real poo poo when tripping balls, and it may well be valuable in, for instance, a therapeutic environment. However, you can achieve insights into reality in a more reliable way (and build muscles along the way) through meditative and ritual practice instead. It is interesting that some aspects of these subjective experiences can be connected to particular chemical states.

I don't know the people in specific so I can't speculate as to motive. I think that if you are not religious, or associate religious experience with bad experiences, an explanation which dismisses the religious experience in this manner would be very appealing. It would dismiss the topic entirely, to the intensity that you prefer, whether it be "this is all founded in the artistic expression of people who we would now consider mentally ill" to "everyone who subscribes to a religious philosophy or otherwise identifies thus is either insane, weak-willed enough to obey the insane, or both."

I do not think that you can so easily dismiss what I guess you could call the religious inclination. It is part of human psychology, if you want to be strictly materialistic about it. I think it is often suppressed, or is channeled into negative forms. I regularly get irritated at English-language Buddhism discussions because (e: English speaking, typically white) people seem to need to have a ritual structure around engaging with the dharma in order to get over their own hang-ups.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 27, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PantlessBadger posted:

I'm in the same spot, in that if someone really wants to know what "I" think about an issue, they can look it up in the Book of Common Prayer/St. Augustine or the Catechism of the Catholic Church/St. Thomas (for 99% of things, and see the BCP for the odd things that differ). Most folks here, at least going back to the first and following iterations of this thread, weren't particularly interested in that. I suppose it might be that in more recent iterations of the thread there is a wider audience.
While I absolutely understand and respect if you don't want to do this, what often interests me is hearing about how people understand and engage with their beliefs and positions rather than just wanting them live-searched and quoted. This doesn't mean "tell all the little ways you're heterodox" or anything, either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I can't speak for the Lourdes water, but it is a mighty thing that the great negative event of a premature and sudden death is now also the site of great positive events, such as your own healing. Give thanks to that person and post honorably in their name.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Valiantman posted:

Fake edit: I really like Miracles by Newsboys, too. It is a good take on which miracles really matter.
It's cheesy, but the attitude in the lyrics for ICP's "Miracles" is also an honestly good way to look at the topic. (The overall thesis, other than confusion regarding magnets, is that huge amounts of wondrous things surround us at all times.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

Can't say that I have.
See? Miracle, right there. Or at least a blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

White Coke posted:

What is double predestination? And can people speak to what predestination actually is instead of just “rich people will go to heaven because God makes them rich because he likes them”?
Others can provide more details, however:

Predestination is basically the idea that since God knows everything that will happen, He also knows whether or not you will go to Heaven or Hell before you were even born (as this is a thing that can be known, and definitionally God knows everything). Double predestination is I believe the specific idea that God affirmatively sends you to Hell, as opposed to "allows it to happen, and could prevent it, but has opted not to for various reasons." (The various reasons are the subject of other theological debates.)

I do not think the concept itself rests on the economic status of the saved person. I presume the theory is that if God has chosen you to go to Heaven, he likes you, and will therefore do nice things for you, as you are his little pogchamp, as opposed to that guy over there, who is damned to Hell and can only seek surcease at the dog temple. I do not believe that this is an orthodox theological view, although I imagine it is preached by many grifters.