Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Taking a big shot in the dark here: who knows a Catholic church in the CA Bay Area with teachings friendly to left politics? I'm learning bits and pieces about liberation theology and looking for a community to join and probably someone cool to officiate a wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking personally I ain't gonna lie the rituals and grandeur are a notable reason why I'm building off childhood interaction with Catholicism as an adult. And the fairly cool seeming Pope, and the concept of Catholicism that merges with my politics via liberation theology.

So thanks for the pointer to that church in SF. It's gonna be a bear for me to attend that on the regular but for getting connected to communities that aren't arch-conservative that looks like just what I wanted.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

I take the Pope with a grain of salt. He uses the language of social justice, but is doctrinaire, and the hierarchy in the Vatican that interprets his statements into policy is arch conservative to a fault.

Well, I'm dipping toes in, anyway, and he looks like a good start for forward progress. Despite being overtly interested in the ritual and so forth I won't be taking the Pope as the ultimate authority :catholic: