Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Shouldn't the Word of God be available to any soul who wants it?

Yes but what is the Word of God?

What specifically do you mean by that symbol?
What does that symbol mean literally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I just thought it meant the The Bible or specifically the parts of The Bible where Jesus speaks.

“Word” is translated from Logos.

In a literal, very, literal sense it is that which is spoken or said. It is also that which is thought, Reason when the enlightenment talks about it. It’s also the story or narrative. The essential of a thing. It’s also spoken in character.

It’s also a loaded philosophical and religious term. In Philo and just in philosophy in general in the ancient world particularly with the stoics. Logos is the meaning and reason that permeates existence and is generative in the reason within each of us.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

. Ultimately you would say a Christian does not ever have to actually read The Bible to be a good, faithful Christian.

Why do you think they put strained glass windows depicting stories from the gospels in churches? Near universal literacy is relatively recent thing.

Who is the Word available too? Is it just to the learned and educated or everybody? Tradition and a clergy structure are a way to make it available to more people. Widely translated bibles are also way to make it available to more people.

The issue is to make one way the only way.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 27, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Unfortunately as they say, poo poo happens when you party naked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

What is sex if not sexual intercourse...?

A whole lot. Sex and the maintenance of a relationship(s?) are not separate things. I mean we want to separate them, we try to separate them, but people get burned hard. If I wake up early to care for the kids, affects my sex like. The care and effort of listening and talking with my spouse, affects my sex life.

Now it’s different for different people. Different parts of relationships and even negative acts in relationships affect peoples sex lives. The various rules and prohibitions in religion about sex are problematic because they are universalized yet originate from specific time periods and specific cultures. So that ends up hurting people. But they point to the idea that how we treat each other and how we act towards each other is tied up with having sex and trying to have healthy relationships.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

And the folks who are on Tinder or Grindr? This is all really on my mind because a Twitch streamer I follow recently recounted a story of meeting a guy via Grindr. The dude didn't have any furniture so they ended up having to gently caress on the floor. Also the guy ruined the whole thing by saying "your mom's dead? I'm so sorry." It was a very weird story.

But it was clear, for him, that this was just...sex. Physical contact of genitals. No deeper meaning at all. So do you think all sex has to have the things you speak of and folks like that streamer are mistaken?

Even in that story: “Also the guy ruined the whole thing by saying "your mom's dead? I'm so sorry.

In other-words the degree of human intimacy was connected to sex and disproportionately between the two people.

And “deeper meaning” isn’t what I’m on about here. Our expectations regarding how we should treat each other is tied up with sex.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here’s a point to start thinking about how complicated an issue sex in Christianity is: Carnaval

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A way to say it is :God cannot be said to be. God is the Ground of Being.

Or “God above God”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Then what was the stuff in Revelations? Entirely metaphorical, stuff from the end of the western Roman empire?

Earlier Nero or Vespasian or Domitian.

City of God is about the of the empire.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think of all the NT as eschatology and revelation. It’s all in response to the death of Jesus, the Jewish wars, and communities being ended by the Romans. It’s all different ways we can respond to the end. We can face the shaking of the foundations like the example we see in the Gospels or we can face it like the example we see in Revelation .

Throwing it out is to throw out the anger and rage some people feel when the world changes and the foundations shake.

It’s : This poo poo is hosed. This hosed poo poo has to and will end.

That’s a real reaction people have and one we have to wrestle with. Throwing out Revelation is to try to avoid that question rather than dealing with it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Fun fact about pork: freezing kills trichnosis so you can eat your pork sashimi as long as you freeze it for like a week before eating (don't do this)

You want to do this (hard quick freeze at a very low temperature) to anything eaten raw. Next time one eats salmon look for little round circles in the fillet, those are parasitic nematodes. There are so many cysts, and eggs and worms in anything wild.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Are sashimi and steak tartare are notably lethal in your world...

Basically all fish used for sashimi is flash frozen at -20C most beef is hard frozen after processing too.

Worms and nematodes are no joke.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think it’s more useful to ask what we think the symbol hell represents or points to.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think something similar except that separate from God is nothingness.

Hell points to the state where I am separated from God, separated from myself from who I am, and separated from everybody else. That’s an imminent threat; not something to worry about after my death but to worry about right now.

It’s overcome by grace.

After I die what was of me that didn’t have being will be nothing and the parts of me that had being will continue in God. Past that I hope for the resurrection of the body, but I think we only hope for things that are absent.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross posting from another thread:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well there is also apocatastasis.

That everything might be reconciled, restitution or restoration of everything back to God at the end, even the demonic.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno. I think I believe in God. A personal God, not just the idea of a God. Or maybe it's more of a Goddess for me, even. (thanks to the poster from pages ago recommending She Who Is) But the details are always working against me. A poster earlier suggested I'm just afraid, and I don't doubt that is part of it. But I also don't think it's all of it. I know these objections are fairly common. But I always hated the New Atheist types. I would never wanna be that.

For me the way out of the problems with the Bible is to see the humanity of God.

The Word of God was a person. There is an old folk song. “If anybody ask ye, Who I am, Who I am, Who I am? If anybody ask ye, Who I am, Who I am, Who I am? Tell em Im a mother’s child. Jesus was a mother’s child.”

God’s revelation was a person, Jesus. And as people we are all his brothers and sisters. So when I look at the Bible, this was written by people in particular times and places, imperfect, with agendas, in sin. We don’t get to live in the world with Jesus. So where can we look for God’s revelation? Other people, other mother’s children and the Father’s children, and the brothers and sisters of Jesus. They aren’t God’s word like Jesus is, but God’s word is in them (I am a trinitarian after all) by the Holy Spirit. But they’re still people in sin too.

In this way I look at the Bible as written by people and thus produced by sinners but still containing God’s word.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

End of the world is one reason. At least in Paul letters that’s a big reason.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

While you wait for results try sleeping on your stomach or side, it has put off my need to get a cpap for several years now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well look at the language in John.

What does the word Logos mean? What is becoming flesh?

If it helps any here’s how I understand it in a pretty literal way: What it means to be was a human person.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

There is no concept so good it cannot be turned into something evil....

Concepts are without morality they are tools.

But we can raise an idea/concept to ultimacy, universalize it, sacrifice to it, and treat it as if it was the ineffable Real. That’s evil.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fair_Winds posted:

Any help is appreciated.

It’s not going to help you pick a denomination. But it’ll help with these questions in general.

Dynamics of Faith

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamics-Faith-Perennial-Classics-Tillich/dp/0060937130

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

If God is real,

Some of us would also say that’s a non sequitor as a question.

“God is not a thing beside other things.” The very question you are asking presumes that “real” is a quality things may have. That’s is a religious assumption.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

One of the big distinctions between religions is soteriology:
1. Why do we suffer
2. How do we stop that poo poo

Ehhh this is kindof a weak soteriology definition.

How are we saved? / How are we delivered? / How are we taught how to be?

It’s much broader than just relief from suffering

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Freudian posted:

"Jesus Movement" sounds like the kind of organisation that would meet in a rented warehouse space downtown, with energetic music and even more energetic pamphleteers, before collapsing seemingly overnight, leaving behind only shady Caribbean bank accounts, intensive therapy, and a documentary five years later.

Think more the marginal, lepers, widows , slaves, orphans, social outcasts, etc living communally.

Edit: honestly I’d liken it to some of the homeless “rainbow communities” out there now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Moses has horns in that Michelangelo because Michelangelo was implying that his patron one of the Medicis who the face of the piece is based on was a cuckold.

The horns as a mistranslation thing was known at that point.

Unrelated fact Michelangelo’s Pieta was regarded as the most expensive piece of cargo ever shipped by vessel (it did a tour of the states) for a long time. My last employer came up with the securing arrangements for it during the ocean voyage.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Unrelated if any one reading this is ever involved in the shipping of statues internationally.

No rail segments ever. Especially if marble. Especially Carrera marble.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Ooooo how come? Can you talk about that a little bit? That's something I never gave a thought to.

Rail cars hump.

They push cars down hills to join them to the train. Even when they don’t do that longitudinal acceleration forces on trains are larger and more sudden than other intermodal modes. Statues don’t handle it well even if properly packaged. Carrera marble seems especially sensitive to it.

When shipping from Europe sometimes the ocean lines will “ land bridge “ cargoes by rail to get them to consignees faster rather than leaving them on the vessel for a Panama Canal transit. Statuary shipped from Europe to US West Coast often gets damaged when that happens.

Then I go look at it and go yep here’s yer problem.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oberndorf posted:

What do you pack them in to protect them, some kind of foam?

They build a case around them and internally block the pieces to the sides of the case. Yes they use foam to soften things and reduce vibrations. As much as possible they are disassembled and packed in cases in good foam.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The biggest problem with civic religion is that we do not usually consider it by religion.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

There is, and I am not making this up, an ancient pickle recipe whose theological significance is hotly debated with regard to the proper way to baptize people.

Gotta post that pickle recipe.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Worthleast posted:

Our guide at the Sea of Galilee told us that the cottage industry there at the time of Jesus was smoked fish.

Most of it was traded to Rome

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

One has beliefs about reality and one uses shared symbols to talk about those beliefs while participating in a community that also uses those symbols.

This I don’t like religion business, is really I don’t like specific religions. Hidden civic religions are religions too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

It can, in certain circumstances, be given to baptized non-Catholics.

At seminary the students all do this a lot in hospitals for end of life ministry. It is incredibly common for cross denomination and even cross religion death rituals to be done. Its a one is the only person there sort of thing as it was explained to me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Is... is there a way to be sure that you, the patient, are ministered to by a minister of your own denomination? Like, when my daughter died, the chaplain on duty came to visit with us, and she was very kind, and also arranged for the priest to visit when he next came to visit the hospital, which was all I needed at that point, since I wasn't dying, but when I am dying (may that day be many years from now) I'd certainly prefer to be absolved by a priest whom I know can absolve me and from whom I can receive the Apostolic Pardon, rather than just be prayed for by whoever happened to be on duty that hour.

I don’t know. I just know it’s a not uncommon occurrence. You’d probably want to set that up before hand with your local priest/ minister.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

White Coke posted:

Do numbers have an unchanging essence? And we don’t know whether there is or isn’t some higher dimension where the perfect forms reside. I doubt we’ll ever know one way or the other.

Nessus posted:

I don't know all the teachings well enough to cite them, but I suspect there is no "perfect form" or similar at all, unless you wanted to extend this in the sense of "the laws of gravity and electromagnetism means that certain patterns will tend to happen in certain conditions."

This question is also very much tied up with the question what is Jesus.

One answer, the one I believe, is that Jesus is the unchanging essence, the form, of what it is to be human. So how do we see and understand the unchanging forms? God’s revelation. The Logos spoken to us that was flesh Jesus.

I think we see it now through God’s presence in us, the Holy Spirit when we experience grace.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The more you do this the easier it will get.

Not for everybody. Some people have less choice in what they think about and focus (or even hyperfocus) on. Especially if there are learning differences involved.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

even for them the more they do it the easier it will get. easier is a relative word not an absolute one. if the goal is perfection give up now. if the goal is to do better than how you're doing it is possible through effort and patience. humans are naturally habit-forming creatures and i would say (as an autistic person myself) that autistic people tend to be even more so. what you're trying to do is simply recognize that and manipulate that natural tendency for good, like how an engineer manipulates natural laws like gravity and newton's laws to build a machine. you're replacing one habit with another and this does require large and great effort in the beginning but less and less as it stops being a choice and begins becoming a habit.

It does not work this way at all for me. Worse it’s intensely irritating to try to force it to work that way.

I don’t choose and grasp, I am grasped. I’ve always found Lewis’ tin soldiers analogy irritating for the same reason. I much prefer: You are accepted! to pretending be something other than yourself

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not even weird historical trivia so much as it's part and parsel of victorian "historians" being really in to racial theory and other non-scientific means of justifying colonialism. Proto-nazi poo poo is what this is.

The whole American animals are degenerate thing is funny in retrospect. Did you know at least one president measured the distances between anus and vulva of various North American animals in a official capacity because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My family’s claim to fame is we’re related to a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

My family tree has the Floyd’s in it. When was younger I met my great grandmother who was his niece and knew all the big gangsters.