Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's super weird that there's hockey today. Weirder still that they have had no real pre-games to speak of. Pens/Flyers starting up cold in the middle of a pandemic is either gonna be the most listless floating or a bloodbath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I am happy for my friend JP being able to score goals for his friend Connor McDavid's birthday.

https://twitter.com/LonnbergMari/status/1349347466299269120

As a Pens fan, I hope McDavid is stuck playing with scrubs like Kassian his whole career
but as a general hockey fan, I would love to see what he can do with a winger with even a modicum of skill so I hope the kid makes it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Played alright. Got horrible goaltending. Good to have hockey to watch again.

This. Jankowski didn't look as bad as everyone said he was, Matheson and Ceci seem to be.
Both still better than JJ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

Janko was really good 2 years ago and really bad last year... Change of scenery will be good for him and if it's not, he can still pk.

I was absolutely not expecting him to be as fast as he is. He's on a line with McCann and Tanev and kept pace the whole night
If he can bring that consistently he's a huge upgrade over Bjugstad who he's replacing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know much about physical photography but someone definitely used the wrong size lens shooting these

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Christ, you do that in a second. Especially Bergevin who loves him some big Columbus boys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat we are spoiled for choice with games tonight. Do I want to watch Ovie run roughshod over Buffalo? Do I want to see the new one Lafreniere? Do I want to.. watch... the devils...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Mitch Marner wants a team karaoke machine for road trips, is suddenly good again

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1350119297771823106?s=21

This is rad but also sharing a microphone you sing expressively into seems like a pretty good way to spread respiratory illnesses

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

one step toward NHL nude calender :toot:

Marty St. Louis was already in a bodies issue with his tree trunk thighs

I think Thornton may have been too? Am I misremembering

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

I get that everyone's sloppy early on when there was no preseason and an ultra-short camp, but Toronto giving up 5 goals on 23 shots to the drat Senators is... really something.

E: GOD DAMNIT

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1350272396645773313

Sorry my guys broke your guy.
I was just checking out the Flyers lines though and goddamn they are surprisingly stacked with forwards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

the devils absolutely died in that third period. fortunately jack hughes and mackenzie blackwood both played out of their minds

Tell me what form the fully formed Jack Hughes is taking

Is he a Gaudreau/St. Louis type since he's a smaller guy or is he disproportionately muscular for his size like Crosby

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bobby Ryan is 1 goal away from matching his total last year

Good on him for cleaning up :unsmith:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

GIVE ME THE HONKA GM JR!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that'd be a good claim. Can't be worse than Ceci and if he is well... send him back down.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fuckin' USA? The network that brought you Psych, Monk, and Burn Notice has a sports angle?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Island Nation posted:

They were the main US broadcaster during the Islanders dynasty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_on_USA

Goddamn, if they bring it back with exactly these graphics I am in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akothSl9lLY

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That seems like a pretty good value swap, and with Texier breaking out this season it's not like they're completely devoid of center talent.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think there's something to be said about giving young players more agency in where they end up. I don't know what that looks like ultimately - maybe a permutation on the offersheet system that blocks the other team from matching for additional compensation of some sort.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bub spank posted:

I feel like Laine alone should have more value than PLD. They're the same age, Laine has outproduced PLD since they both came into the league, and Laine is one of the best shooters in the league. Weird to see the media talking as if Winnipeg should have to add to that potential trade. Especially if the add is Roslovic.

There's always been the perception that a skilled center trumps the value of a skilled winger because of "intangibles"/defensive play or that it's easier to build success through strong centers than strong wingers, so I think that's probably where that is coming form (whether its necessarily the truth or not)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1353003364699807745?s=20

This is the worst but also most hilarious possible outcome for both Laine and DuBois.

Scheifele - PLD is a loving solid 1-2 center punch and one getting Connor and one getting Ehlers is pretty good scoring depth.

Stranger trade for CBJ because they now have a ton of RWs but hey, Laine and Roslovic are pretty fair value for a guy who is demanding a trade.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Laine plays LW, PLD and a 3rd for Laine and Roaslovic seems like a steal for CBJ

This season it seems, but the line splits I'm seeing had him most often as a RW on a Connor - Scheifele - Laine line last season. Not that I imagine playing off wing hurts a natural sniper but worth noting.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope Jarmo keeps collecting Finns. I want Columbus to be team Finland NA

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

hmm let's take a look in my closet

:smithicide:

you'd better put a name on the blank one before it takes the whole franchise with it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carwash oval office posted:

Stastny on a wing? Lowry will be Jets 3rd line center forever,
Need a place for Paul.

Either 2nd line LW or 4th line center with some wingers no one has ever heard of.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 23, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1353025219108212744?s=19

Turns out the price to trade up was #3+the next year's 3rd.

And, also, Jack Roslovic coming back with #2.

After a five-year free trial.

Ultimately a much better swap than Carter for Jack Johnson + Marko Dano

This really seems like one of the rare win/win trades for both teams. They get rid of players that didn't want to be there, CBJ gets the better player while taking a small hit to team composition while the Jets get a long-term fix to their 2c hole.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

In other news, DJ Smith can gently caress off anytime now

https://twitter.com/tsn_wally/status/1353035653488005124?s=21

Why is Colin White a healthy scratch? Did he get really bad
is he broken?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Word is he's also a pretty good skater. GMJR wanted to pick him up now that he's trying to go all-in on fast guys again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Definitely lends credence to the "dressing room is too regressive" rumors that were floated as a possibility.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

When did those come out?

I don't know that there's a real first/second hand source for that, it's just people putting two and two together with knowing that there are some vocally uber-chuddy people in the room and that fitting as something a player would be uncomfortable with but not wanting to openly speak out against.

It could also be that he's just 22 and homesick though, or that the contract negotiations turned sour. Or a combination of all of those things.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

I legitimately really like the light-blue alternate Jets jerseys.

I like them well enough but I liked them better when they were Penguins jerseys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

3 shots for 12 against. 2 GA against. 20% xGF driven by 4 chances for and 12 against with a 2 to 5 high danger split. 50/50 zone deployment. That said I think Marino's numbers concern me so much more.

Sophomores gonna slump. It's dark hockey magicks at play.

Why the gently caress JR was so anxious to throw a giant contract at him in advance of that inevitability is beyond my comprehension, but that seems to just be his move (see Tanev, JMFJ, etc)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a healthy organization that lets their aging captain bully their budding stars to the point where they demand a trade

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carver posted:

second time i've seen this so far

We warned you.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope it's because management threatened to sack him and not because he is ill.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll take this. Weber has better underlying stats than Jack Johnson and Cody Ceci

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/THNKenCampbell/status/1354503584201768960?s=19

Also to note: Donatelli resigned for "personal reasons" as well. Not sure if this is connected.

Wasn't there a scandal about a WBS figure over the summer/recently?

Seeing some speculation it could be the internal review from that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/colin_dunlap/status/1354771426151161859

I don't know if I could move a 33 year old on bad hips for value, I would.

Unless he was getting actual value for him, Letang is still the best defenseman we have by a mile.
And so far as I know his hips are fine, it's his concussion history, migraines, neck, shoulders, heart, wrists, groin, and knees that I'm worried about

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jhet posted:

Expansion draft. The real reason mediocre teams are just going to skip this season. I wouldn't splash out on players that won't be protected in the summer. Unless you're Vegas who somehow gets protected.

I do hope the Penguins tank this year so they get a nicely high 1st round draft pick. It would be the only good thing to go the other way in the Zucker trade.

Hey now, Calen Addison still has the chance to be someone.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Would the NHL even allow golden helmets
that seems like it'd be too fun for them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The desiccated husk of the Pens is... not good.

The Bruins absolutely smothered them out there tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a bit weird that Laf looks like a 30 year old good old boy from the town I grew up in in Central PA