Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I thought Frans Nielsen retired 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Blackwood, Smith, and Sharangovich, yes please

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Rangers' D at practice today:

Lindgren-Trouba
Johnson-Fox (lol)
Miller-Smith
Bitetto rotating in

Tony is nowhere to be found
EDIT: He's in the taxi squad

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sharangovich-Hughes-Palmieri is going to be fun to watch, and once Hischier/Bratt join the team in the next couple of games, it'll allow Gusev-Hischier-Bratt. Pretty fun top six.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DeAngelo is a healthy scratch tonight, Lafreniere is moving to RW to play with Panarin and Strome.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Oh my god Sharangovich, where have you been all my life

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also Jack Hughes has had a monster 2 games

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I knew they'd claim him and I'm glad they did.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Colorado is so shrewd. Minnesota gets a solid defender in Cole for the rest of the season. Pateryn's metrics look terrible but Colorado can use him as the 6/7 D and not miss a beat and clears the way for the inevitable big deadline pickup (probably Hall).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is Byram on the taxi squad for the Avs?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jack Hughes

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Byram is debuting tonight against LA!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dubois was benched for the last 44:53 of the game

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Seems like Filip Hronek is really flying under the radar, he's been pretty amazing for Detroit

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Big Leg posted:

unfortunately, i do not believe pld's trade request is the work of a woke activist protesting seth jones + other blue jackets stupid political opinions.

It's astounding how many people jump to this conclusion regarding any situation. To assume Tortorella is the one at fault or that PLD has just been bullied by the politics of his teammates based on absolutely no knowledge is odd.

It's pretty rare for a player as young as Dubois is (and as good) to pull the "get me out of here" and to openly show a total lack of trying on the ice is a bad look, no matter what, but I am not going to speculate what the internal dynamics are of the locker room and of his relationship with Tortorella. It might have nothing to do with that, it might just be him wanting to go to a better market and play a more offensive style so he can make more money. Who knows? Life is complicated and people make decisions for a huge variety of reasons.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Disagree. Downing tools on the job and/or being as slow and by the book as possible is one of the most effective labor tactics.

In the NHL it seems like requesting a trade and not trying on the ice until you get traded will really hurt his value/decline team interest/decline the amount of money he can sign for/etc. He's hurting his value, not helping it.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Laine under Tortorella is gonna be fun

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm confused. Are the Devils good?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Seems like they've been pretty good? Without Hischier or Bratt and lately without Blackwood. It's impressive

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

corn on the cop posted:

i think they've shown much more promise but ill need to check when they aren't getting vezina-caliber goaltending. still, their depth signings have been good and jack hughes has been controlling games.

True but count me as one of those people who think Blackwood is going to give them really great goaltending for the next couple of seasons

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Chytil out 4 to 6 weeks

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The biggest trade moment for me was Kovalchuk.

I was in my place in Connecticut with my brother and I was on Twitter I think, and it was reported that Kovalchuk had been traded to a team in the Eastern Conference.

I had thought the Devils, if they were to get him, would probably do a package of Oduya+1st+prospects, but I didn't actually think that offer would do it or that Lou would get someone like him.

Then I remember finding out who the team was and telling my brother, "IT'S THE DEVILS. HOLY poo poo." And it was for exactly the package I thought it would be.

I was on cloud nine, Kovy was one of my absolute favorite players.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mennoknight posted:

You goddamn kids.
I remember both Gilmour to and from Calgary trades vividly. I read about him coming from STL in a NEWSPAPER and was so excited, because he was my favourite non-Flame at the time and Cliff Fletcher absolutely hosed whoever the Blues GM was. Who cares who it was. That panned out well.

We had TSN by the time he got traded to Toronto in the worst loving trade of all time. I was 13 and I knew it. It should've been annulled it was such robbery. Again, Fletcher did the hosing, but wearing the wrong suit.

I can also remember the Nieuwendyk-Iginla swap and being very very excited. I was living in Kamloops and had seen Jarome play, he even showed up at our church sometimes with his local buddy Ajay Baines. I heard the news on AM Radio and pulled over to find a pay phone (I told you I was old) so I could call my dad and we could celebrate immediately. I had never seen a guy dominate like that, and well, the rest is history (I lived outside his window for 2 decades and fantasized and stole his shoes).

Actually, the Gilmour to NJ trade is one I remember well, I was just in high school and wasn't as knowledgeable about hockey as I was now. It was exciting and seeing Gilmour play in a Devs jersey ruled, but it is quite clear that Kovalchuk is the most dynamic and exciting player the Devils have ever traded for in my adult life.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I was super sad when the Devils traded Arnott but they won the cup that year so *shrug.*

Yeah, that was a tough one. McKay went with him and I loved him too, but Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner were great at the time and it was fine by the end, as you said.

I also remember the second Arnott deal for Dave Steckel, noted "take the faceoff and then skate to the bench" asset.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I bet Wedgewood and Comrie get on the protocol next week

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That makes the center depth Hughes,

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

A hockey-themed card game like that, holy gently caress I'm so in. You should have to pick one coach and each coach has attributes. Oh man I love it

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

they're still doing dumb poo poo tho

It's super weird in hockey to have the best player in the world so sidelined competitively. I don't think it has happened in my lifetime.

Let alone with another player who's probably top 5 along with him. It is really weird and I don't remember any of the genuine best players in the league, let alone THE best, be so hopelessly far from contention.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I do follow baseball very closely and it's true that one player really can't will a team to a championship unless it's maybe Bonds because of the nature of the games one on one methodology.

But yeah Trout is wasting his prime in Anaheim.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah this is a legit money making awesome idea

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

We could have a bunch of "bad contract" cards which inhibit the amount of cards you can play in a turn, or which inhibit what you can spend, and they can be easily named after such players as Jeff Skinner and Milan Lucic.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"Filly Don't Do Rebounds"

Pick a player card and remove all of its added abilities for two turns

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Palmieri is a healthy scratch today

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Quinn on DeAngelo when asked by @ColinSNewsday about an incident last night: “There’s always rumors, I’m not gonna address rumors. This isn’t about one incident. It’s not about one thing.”

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't think he did the punching but yeah this is wild.

https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1355966477975891970?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DOOMocrat posted:

punching thing seems like it came from an arena employee who could see down the tunnel

That person said the punching came from the other player (Georgiev) I think

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think we should probably just wait to hear the full story before jumping to conclusions - it would be really terrible if people made baseless accusations about his relationship with Miller and in turn brought an unwarranted media storm onto Miller about racism in the middle of the season. Seems like something he probably would not want to deal with.

If there IS stuff involving Miller, then gently caress Tony and I really hope the media doesn't swarm Miller about this, even if it's true. Let the kid play great hockey.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I was thinking that if anyone claims him, it's Ottawa.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Brooks says Miller was the player who broke up Georgiev and DeAngelo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

What a total loving moron.