Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

eggs go out, not in anyway

They go into my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Break the egg, smashmouth!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://crossfade.io/#!/rtgl7ldx52

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I feel like an Ikuhara thing would be in much weirder territory by now.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Whoa cool, that site is much better than the usual dual player setup.

egg!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It is a graduation song. Like, literally. It's popular at Japanese graduation ceremonies.

this is very interesting if true, do you have a source for this?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

this is very interesting if true, do you have a source for this?

Youtube Search Query for 巣立ちの歌

Pick any of the results.
It looks like even one of the Nichijou Endings had this song.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Youtube Search Query for 巣立ちの歌

Pick any of the results.
It looks like even one of the Nichijou Endings had this song.

huh, fascinating

now i'm curious why they picked it, there's some significance to that decision

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

huh, fascinating

now i'm curious why they picked it, there's some significance to that decision

The title translates to "Song of leaving the nest", you know, the whole egg motive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

plus 'graduating/leaving high school' and 'suicide' have a kind of connective metaphorical tissue since they're both things that affect adolescents and represent the end of a phase of life (just the latter doesn't have any phases after it)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
As if anything you do past school can be considered living.

Also Momoe is trans as hell I have no idea how this could possibly be more obvious!!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2021/02/15/ai-ohtos-room-and-safety-in-wonder-egg-priority/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

New episode

So I guess the prayer beads in this episode is metaphorically about seeing the invisible, so the ending is about Ai going to school to find out what is really up with Sawaki?

Also Emily Rand's discussion of gatcha games seems to be holding up pretty well. Get them hooked, then raise the difficulty! Here have a lootbox, the first one's always free....

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Another week of egg time, another week of confusion.

Also Momoe's happy dance was very cute.

Edit:

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 16, 2021

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Trying to type out how much I love this show is just leading to me running through every superlative in the book. I'm in awe every week.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bad Touch Vibes Intensify

Not that this wasn't already clear, but: boy, this show's either going to be an all-timer or self-destruct in hideous fashion by the end, huh? Just keeps sailing into more and more treacherous waters every week, and we're still only halfway done.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Turns out what's going on with Sawaki is that Ai can't get a read on him either. Definitely distressing to not know whether the kindness he showed to her before had ulterior intentions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Me

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not that this wasn't already clear, but: boy, this show's either going to be an all-timer or self-destruct in hideous fashion by the end, huh? Just keeps sailing into more and more treacherous waters every week, and we're still only halfway done.

This entire episode, I had this uncomfortable feeling I was watching the show screw itself up. Once it was over, I realized I can't quite say that yet, but...it's really playing with fire. I think my specific worry is that I think if the show narrows in on the circumstances of Koito's suicide being about a rift between her and Ai over Sawaki, it'd be ignoring how weird and uncomfortable Sawaki's relationship with them both already seems to be, especially him making art of Ai. Teens having a crush on a nice teacher is normal, and bickering over it isn't that weird if handled well, but we already know Sawaki had a weird relationship with them both, and his relationship with Koito is especially shrouded in mystery.

But now I can't tell if it's going to ignore it or if it's insinuating Ai, as a young girl, hasn't properly processed how weird Sawaki is being because of her age and her having a crush due to the seemingly positive attention. I guess the direction they're going in might be Ai becoming increasingly comfortable with him in her life, only to realize he hurt Koito and/or is interested in her like Rika suggested?

If the show pulls this off, it's going to have done an immensely careful tightrope walk.

As for the other things that happened in this episode: I get a bad vibe from the familiars feasting on hatred and envy. That's the kind of thing that sounds like it will have consequences.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cropoval posted:

As for the other things that happened in this episode: I get a bad vibe from the familiars feasting on hatred and envy. That's the kind of thing that sounds like it will have consequences.

Never a trust a mascot character in a modern magical-girl-adjacent show that isn't Precure

I will say I feel a little more confident in the direction of the show after realizing that Ai only runs to school/Sawaki at the end of the episode after remembering the rosary she got from the egg girl - the one that lets Ai see unseen dangers. That sure seems like a pretty deliberate choice......

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Personally, thinking about it, I don't know if it's just my motivated reasoning speaking but I choose to read the ending as Ai choosing to confront Sawaki to find out the truth of what happened, to go on the offensive, basically.

I mean in the end Ai's motto within the dreams is "Now I'm Really Mad!" whereas outside of the dreams she's never allowed herself to really get angry.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 16, 2021

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I definitely feel like the point of Ai's material was supposed to be her resolving to find the truth about Koito. Even ignoring the potential creepiness, if the point of that episode was really just "Ai realises she loves her teacher and then decides to go back to school", that'd also just kinda feel like a pretty trite character resolution? And not one I'd really expect from this show.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

BlitznBurst posted:

I definitely feel like the point of Ai's material was supposed to be her resolving to find the truth about Koito. Even ignoring the potential creepiness, if the point of that episode was really just "Ai realises she loves her teacher and then decides to go back to school", that'd also just kinda feel like a pretty trite character resolution? And not one I'd really expect from this show.

And they absolutely played with that with the “confession” at the end. I was like “oh no oh no oh no oh— oh wait she says she wants to go back to school”.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think this show has consistently difficult topics and addressed them well. I have confidence that it will continue to do so going forwards.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The show hasn't been quiet about the fact that Sawaki lacks, at best, an understanding of what is/isn't appropriate conduct with his students and an ability to read what people are feeling and act appropriately. Like, he has one-on-one sketching sessions with his female students where he tells them they're beautiful; that's going to lead to a weird dynamic, even if it isn't a lead-in to creeping on them. And him dating the mother of a student he's trying to counsel is obviously nuts. He might or might not be a predator, but I don't think the show will end with "actually Sawaki was helping the whole time," because that would go back on what's already established about him in a way that seems unlikely for a show that's paid as much attention to character consistency as WEGG has.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm reluctant to say what the show will or won't end up doing because I've seen some shows I had previously enjoyed a lot make some disastrous decisions that seemed like the opposite of where I thought they were/should be going before, so if Wonder Egg implodes after a knockout start or middle it absolutely won't be the first show to do so. But certainly I don't think any reveal that Sawaki is anything less than, at the absolute most charitable, a dude with some very serious boundary issues would be a very satisfying or narratively defensible development.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm reluctant to say what the show will or won't end up doing because I've seen some shows I had previously enjoyed a lot made some disastrous decisions that seemed like the opposite of where I thought they were/should be going before, so if Wonder Egg implodes after a knockout start or middle it absolutely won't be the first show to do so. But certainly I don't think any reveal that Sawaki is anything less than, at the absolute most charitable, a dude with some very serious boundary issues would be a very satisfying or narratively defensible development.
I mean, yeah, it's possible it'll turn out to be a complete disaster. Anything's possible. But I've seen absolutely zero indication it will, so speculation that it'll go bad doesn't really make much sense to me. I mean, if we approach every show that tackles serious topics afraid that it'll go south, for no other reason than because it tackles those topics, won't that limit how we can engage with those shows and the topics they represent?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

I mean, yeah, it's possible it'll turn out to be a complete disaster. Anything's possible. But I've seen absolutely zero indication it will, so speculation that it'll go bad doesn't really make much sense to me. I mean, if we approach every show that tackles serious topics afraid that it'll go south, for no other reason than because it tackles those topics, won't that limit how we can engage with those shows and the topics they represent?

Sorry, wasn't my intention to suggest that the show's going to do anything bad, just that it's always a possibility, and IMO assuming that the show *can't* do anything that doesn't fit well ethically or doesn't flow well out of what came before just because it's been so good so far makes it harder for us to recognize when it might potentially be doing so in the future. But obviously, the show's so far given us a lot less reason to expect any fuckups than it has to expect a strong landing. I've already said where I think the show's going re:Sawaki being a predator of some sort and this likely being key to the final confrontation. We'll just see how that holds up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you ever think the egg thing is about the twitter default av

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway good ep but it def. feels like every ep they veeerrryyy slightly walk back the possibility of koito and ai being homos. not in a huge way just a tiny bit

also like we're 6 eps in, you have enough plates to juggle, you dont need to add more.

again this show still rules just some mild criticism/wondering where they're going with it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm reluctant to say what the show will or won't end up doing because I've seen some shows I had previously enjoyed a lot make some disastrous decisions that seemed like the opposite of where I thought they were/should be going before, so if Wonder Egg implodes after a knockout start or middle it absolutely won't be the first show to do so.

That's the absolute best thing about anime. You never know what the moral of the story will be, or just how hosed up it can turn out. There's just no limit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

That's the absolute best thing about anime. You never know what the moral of the story will be, or just how hosed up it can turn out. There's just no limit.

I mean that's not an anime- or even TV-only phenomenon, lol

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Was idly thinking about the fact that on a show about Eggs, Sawaki is always wearing an oval cameo choker of a bird in flight.

No clue on what it might mean, but definitely feels like it has capital I Implications.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Was idly thinking about the fact that on a show about Eggs, Sawaki is always wearing an oval cameo choker of a bird in flight.

No clue on what it might mean, but definitely feels like it has capital I Implications.

I mean, that is traditionally the result of an egg hatching.

Come to think of it, the mascots are all creatures born from eggs, aren't they?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/willieweasel5/status/1360039331080011778

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Just had this weird idea that we could see a sudden tone-shift in the latter half of the series (utena car scenes come to mind). I know it's pretty out there, just kinda fell into my mind. I mean, if this guy is creepy/horny enough.. It could be a wild ride :v:. Not exactly what I want, I think.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually some species of chameleon give live birth, but ultimately all multicellular life above a certain level of complexity comes from egg.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Big fan of the accas speaking out of a pair of garbage cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

All reptiles, interestingly enough.