Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zaroff posted:

And rather than being an actual new novel, it's a collection of the opening chapters of the new novels coming out next month.

Aww, that's a swizz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

OldMemes posted:

Oh boy, if you're not familiar with the sheer batshit insanity of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, here's a tl;dr version.

So the Eighth Doctor finds out that in the future, the Time Lords will have a universe destroying conflict with a group known as "The Enemy". There's a cult called Faction Paradox who want to speed up the start of the war (referred to as The War in Heaven) because they get a kick out of making paradoxes and chaos in time. The Faction start manipulating the Doctor into becoming one of their agents, and infect him with a virus that will mutate him into "Grandfather Paradox". Romana regenerates and tries to figure out who the enemy is to prepare. The TARDIS explodes, but luckily the Doctor makes friends with Compassion, a lady who is a TARDIS, and the Doctor flies around in her head.

However, editorial got bored of the War in Heaven story, and decided to scrap novels that would identify the Enemy and properly wrap the story, so Faction Paradox and the Enemy were dropped from the novels and never mentioned again, but spun-off into non-BBC books.

The Doctor blows up Gallifrey, and spends 100 years on Earth with amnesia waiting for the TARDIS to regrow, and fosters a daughter from the distant future. When he can travel again, the Doctor gets bored of trying to cure his amnesia and that plot point is dropped. Then his second heart dies because Gallifrey has been erased from the timelines, so he cuts it out, but another guy puts it in his chest for time travel reasons. A new group is trying to take the Time Lord's place in a chaotic, unordered timeline, clearing out the time vortex of life, and killing old companions so that they can trim alternative universes and eat the lack of choices. It turns out they're crystal skeletons who look like the Doctor, and one travels to 1963 and becomes the First Doctor or something. This is never explained. Then it turns out K-9 was plastered behind a wall in the TARDIS all along by Romana, and reveals that the Doctor has the contents of the matrix in his head, and can restore Gallifrey and then something to do with the Doctor's father or something, then the novels end on an unresolved cliffhanger.

Big Finish declared in Zagreus that all of this was an alternative to theirs and not canon to their 8th Doctor, and promptly retconned an early mention of a novel companion away. Night of the Doctor confirmed that the Big Finish version is the TV canon version of the 8th's Doctor's adventures.

Somewhere in all of this too, the Third Doctor gets shot and killed, despite all the subsequent regenerations still existing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Narsham posted:

Liz was the best; should have had several more seasons with her. Barbara is awesome, but at least she gets to pull off her awesomeness in sweaters; Liz gets to deliver this line in a mini-skirt and impractical boots.

Liz seriously ruled. She felt like a modern companion, almost

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Somewhere in all of this too, the Third Doctor gets shot and killed, despite all the subsequent regenerations still existing.

From what can be pieced together, it seems that there wasn't massive amounts of communication between the editors and writers, and the odd narrative structure of the EDAs, where some are massively important to the story, some are just standalone standard Doctor Who adventures, and some are standard adventures, but with some foreshadowing or plot threads that will become relevant later, and it gets more complex when the crystal Doctors start having an effect on the Past Doctor Adventures. That, and so many things are left half explained or outright unresolved.

There's some pretty good work there, but its less confusing to consider Big Finish the canon 8th Doctor adventures. Plus, better companions: Charley, Molly and Liv are all top tier companion characters.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been thinking about starting to collect the Big Finish monthly stories do I need to collect them chronologically or can I pick and choose the ones I find most interesting first?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

bessantj posted:

I've been thinking about starting to collect the Big Finish monthly stories do I need to collect them chronologically or can I pick and choose the ones I find most interesting first?

Chronologically in terms of release, or in terms of where it fits in the Doctor's timeline?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bessantj posted:

You can pick and choose the ones that seem interesting, which is how I did it (before going mad and deciding to go back and fill in the gaps) - they're almost entirely standalone, there are some callbacks (or forwards) here and there but nothing that will make a story incomprehensible to you.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Chronologically in terms of release, or in terms of where it fits in the Doctor's timeline?

In terms of release. So The Sirens of Time, then Phantasmagoria, then Whispers of Terror and so on.

Jerusalem posted:

You can pick and choose the ones that seem interesting, which is how I did it (before going mad and deciding to go back and fill in the gaps) - they're almost entirely standalone, there are some callbacks (or forwards) here and there but nothing that will make a story incomprehensible to you.

Thanks. I should imagine I will also go back and fill in the gaps if I like them enough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always argue that people should never avoid anything and come to their own decisions about whether something is poo poo or good etc.

With that said. Do NOT buy/listen to Nekromanteia.

Jerusalem posted:

I rarely suggest anybody avoid listening to a story because I always feel everybody should watch/listen to shows and decide for themselves... but I can only give my highest recommendation that you forget this story exists and don't ever put yourself through the misfortune of having to listen to it. It's a bad story. It's bad.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I always argue that people should never avoid anything and come to their own decisions about whether something is poo poo or good etc.

With that said. Do NOT buy/listen to Nekromanteia.

In the past I would have been intrigued with this and have to listen to it just to see how bad it is, but after looking up some reviews of it I think I'll give that one a miss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Allegedly after they made it, Peter Davison told Big Finish he NEVER wanted the writer to do anything for them ever again. It really is that bad.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
Oh, surely it can't be all that bad, after all it's a story with Peri in it--

Doctor Who Reviews dot net posted:

After accepting that both the Doctor and Erimem are dead, she is very forcibly captured, drugged, and stripped by the Witches, forced to watch a man have his tongue and heart excised.

:stare:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh, surely it can't be all that bad, after all it's a story with Peri in it--

:stare:

Have you gotten to the part about the attempted rape of Erimem?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's all kinds of utterly repugnant sexualization in there, including a cliffhanger of (content warning for sexual violence) one of the companions being in danger of being raped. "Luckily" we discover several minutes into the next episode that she wasn't raped, "just" brutally beaten for fighting back when he tried to rape her. Also the would-be rapist ends up getting the "happy ending" of the story by being promoted in spite of the explicit text of the story being that this was literally impossible to happen to him in his fascist society.

I'm not putting that poo poo behind spoiler tags for the sake of preserving the story, but because some people might not particularly want to read the finer details of the awful poo poo that happens in that story. The only spoiler would be if any of you were unfortunate enough to listen to it. It's dogshit, the absolute worst Big Finish audio I have ever had the misfortune to hear.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Davros1 posted:

Have you gotten to the part about the attempted rape of Erimem?

In the review I read, yes, because no fuckin' way am I buying that audio. I will override my "completionist" mindset on that one.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'm trying to make sense of this but my brain won't let me

I've always said the same about Faction Paradox. :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Man, everyone talks about Nekromanteia -- which, in addition to all of the above, is literally the plot to Caves of Androzani told badly -- but no-one talks about Black And White.

At one point, Ace hides from some Vikings under a table. One of them, Beowulf, discovers her hiding there, and assumes that she's there to blow him. He gets aggressive, and she fends him off in an action sequence. Later on she describes him "not a bad bloke, really".

What does she consider "bad"?

OldMemes posted:

A new group is trying to take the Time Lord's place in a chaotic, unordered timeline, clearing out the time vortex of life, and killing old companions so that they can trim alternative universes and eat the lack of choices. It turns out they're crystal skeletons who look like the Doctor, and one travels to 1963 and becomes the First Doctor or something. This is never explained. Then it turns out K-9 was plastered behind a wall in the TARDIS all along by Romana, and reveals that the Doctor has the contents of the matrix in his head, and can restore Gallifrey and then something to do with the Doctor's father or something, then the novels end on an unresolved cliffhanger.

I think you're being a bit glib. The novel series isn't unresolved -- and they certainly don't end on a cliffhanger! The novel ends with the Doctor about to get his memories back and restore Gallifrey; we just don't see those events depicted on the page. But it's pretty obvious what happens next, and no-one's in danger. All the other continuity problems are resolved.

e.g. to address your concern about The Council Of Eight -- the crystal people for anyone reading along -- that ending where one of them "becomes" the Doctor comes about out of the time line's need to be stabilised. The destruction of Gallifrey in The Ancestor Cell was retroactive; the planet was destroyed in such a way that not only did it no longer exist, it never existed in the first place. This, plus the following power vacuum, destabilised the timeline, and the in-universe retcon of the Doctor's origins was the last step required to cement the universe's stable existence.

This of course only lasts until Gallifrey is restored in The Gallifrey Chronicles, whereupon the universe is restored.

All of this means that it'd be impossible for the Eighth Doctor to mention any companion other than Sam in Night of The Doctor -- and since she's mentioned in Minuet In Hell AND Absent Friends, it's not like she's been decanonised by BF.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 11, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well, I've heard about at least one story I definitely shouldn't buy, but what are the ones I should buy? Especially from the first 100?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

bessantj posted:

Well, I've heard about at least one story I definitely shouldn't buy, but what are the ones I should buy? Especially from the first 100?

From the first 100 -

The Fearmonger feels like Sylv and Sophie Aldred have just walked off the ser of Survival

The Fires of Vulcan is a decent historical that shows Bonnie Langford can do more than scream like they made her do on the telly

The Marian Conspiracy introduced a brilliant new companion for the Sixth Doctor who then goes on to appear in further stories with him

Spare Parts is a stone cold classic, a top story for the series regardless of medium

The McGann stories up til like #50 are a solid run of Doctor Who with McGann with a few ups and downs. After that is contentious

#58 is a really good Seventh Doctor story that has a novel premise for a returning baddy only to be like "haha, jk lol, just doing our usual" in the last episode

I know you asked for good ones but #60 is another "avoid this" one unless you wanna hear the Doctor fawn over grave digging murderers

Honestly apart from the rough post-#50 era for McGann there's really very few that aren't worth the few bucks they currently cost to listen to if youre interested in the Doctors featured

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OldMemes posted:

Oh boy, if you're not familiar with the sheer batshit insanity of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, here's a tl;dr version.

[snip]
Maybe it's better played out than synopsised, but that all sounds fanfic-level terrible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bessantj posted:

My personal choices would be:

The Fifth Doctor
24. The Eye of the Scorpion
34. Spare Parts
81. The Kingmaker (first half is a little dull but the back half is bonkers batshit insane in the best way)

The Sixth Doctor
6. The Marian Conspiracy
40. Jubilee
90. Year of the Pig (a personal favorite)

The Seventh Doctor
5. The Fearmonger (this feels EXACTLY like the final year of Sylvester McCoy's run on television)
25. Colditz (with David Tennant!)
85. Red (Red! RED! RRRRRED! RRRRRRRRRRRRRREEDDDDD!)

The Eighth Doctor
29. The Chimes of Midnight
33. Neverland (though it's the culmination of an "arc" running through most of the 8th Doctor's run, and the follow-up Zagreus is sadly not very good)
52. Scherzo (a goddamn masterpiece)
88. Memory Lane

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yoo, maybe don't start with Colditz. It has a really, really good twist and some fantastic guest stars, but it's got some of the worst sound design in the range.

My recommendations:

Fifth Doctor
Spare Parts - loving brilliant. Emotional, funny, gross and upsetting. Some of the best design ever for BF.
Omega - fantastic plot, funny, and a clever take on the character.
Son Of The Dragon - Fantastic story for Erimem, an audio original companion, and the climax of a character arc that had been building for several years. (The other stories are pretty good too.)
Circular Time - romantic and swoony, but the best episode is Autumn, which is essentially a David Warner tribute album.

Sixth Doctor
...ish - so loving clever, with a great handle on tone. Stars an threatening version of the Book from Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy.
Davros - best take on the character, reimagining Davros and the Sixth Doctor as duelling silicon valley entrepreneurs. Generally considered the definitive take on the character.
...and the Pirates - funny, with a very clever format breaking episode.
Jubilee - the basis for Robert Shearman's episode Dalek.
Arrangements For War - romeo and juliet, but played as a political drama, with a very sweet companion romance.

Seventh Doctor
Project Lazarus - the best multi-Doctor crossover story. Sequel to a decent story, which should be heard to appreciate this, and an essential arc story for the arc that weaves through the first 100 stories.
Night Thoughts - the scariest Doctor Who story. Theatrical and weird, with an ambiguous plot that leaves you wondering.
The Settling - The Seventh Doctor tries to deliver a baby during a civil war. It's the single best image associated with his character.
Valhalla - A satire of the job market. A rare straight performance from Michelle Gomez.

Eighth Doctor
The Chimes Of Midnight - one of the best things written in Who.
The Natural History Of Fear - don't spoil the concept, go in blind. Upsetting.
The Last - a serious arc story, but the incidental story stars one of the best ever Doctor Who villains.
Caerdroia - don't spoil the concept, go in blind. Charming.
Terror Firma - a big arc story, with some gorgeous spooky sound design. The other definitive Davros story, and for years it was considered his definitive final story. (It still is, technically.) Like many others in this list, you do need to have heard some of the other Eighth Doctor stories to fully appreciate it, though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Remember that a big chunk of Big Finish's earlier stuff is on Spotify!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Man reading all this really hammers home how good early to mid period BF really was, because y'all are listing absolute bangers right now

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Man reading all this really hammers home how good early to mid period BF really was, because y'all are listing absolute bangers right now

I'm making my way through the last War Doctor set now, and I've got the Two Masters Trilogy, The Girl Who Never Was, and two 6/Dalek stories on my backlog. Big Finish are fairly good with the sales if you're willing to wait a bit, but it is basically luck if something you want is on sale.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Keep checking the BF website every Monday. They offer a free download from one of their ranges every week. Last week it was an Avengers story. This week it's a Second Doctor Companion Chronicle. They also offer sales that tie in with the freebie. This week it's Second Doctor stories.

https://www.bigfinish.com/collections/v/weekly-deals

A while ago they offered the very first Who release, The Sirens of Time, for free. Couple of months ago, it was the very first Benny story offered for free.

They also often offer the first ep of a Who story for free if you want to give a story a shot.

Here's links to the DWM freebies (complete 1/2 hour stories) that cost nothing:

Last of the Titans starring Syl: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-last-of-the-titans-1439
The Ratings War starring Colin: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-ratings-war-1113
No Place like Home starring Peter: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-no-place-like-home-1115
Living Legend starring Paul: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-living-legend-the-making-of-zagreus-1114
Plus UNIT: The Coup starring Nick Courtney as the Brig: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/unit-the-coup-405

Here's the page to everything that they offer for free:

https://www.bigfinish.com/collections/v/big-finish-for-free

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 11, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh wow, a new River Song book.

WRITTEN BY RIVER HERSELF?!!
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1359894972334411777?s=20

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1359898755743567877?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 11, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thank you for all the recommendations everyone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/floellaumbagabe/status/1359231210115989506

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's an ...interesting interpretation of "moisturize me"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Heh. The last choice

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1360335231497166856?s=20

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I'd missed the news about the new early adventures. I'm kinda whatever about a direct DIOE sequel, feel like we got enough of the implication of the aftermath when Susan was in the EDAs, but I'm glad for another Carole Ann Ford story at least and maybe they'll do something neat with it.

Recasting Dodo is interesting. Maybe interesting is too strong a word? More like "not something I figured they'd ever bother to do." I don't really have strong feelings about the character one way or the other, she was there, she was fine or whatever, and then she was gone. I am completely baffled by the weird vindictive streak the Virgin novels authors seemed to have against her

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I bought and listened to The Spectre of Lanyon Moor it was a pretty good story.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Even the BBC Books add in the detail that Dodo blundered into the TARDIS because she was looking for a police officer after escaping a sexual assault attempt, so yeah, spin-off media hates Dodo for some reason.

I've finished the War Doctor boxsets, and the Enigma Dimension was a nice ending - it's fun when they take advantage of the audio format to go a little out there, and Leela was an interesting element to add in. Has any companion had such a big character arc as Leela? She went from savage to inter-dimensional diplomat.

The behind the scenes bit with Briggs saying how he's hoping to work with John Hurt again though :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They clearly had so many more War Doctor Ideas to use--between War Master, 8th Doctor Time War, and now the War Doctor Begins boxsets, they're determined to use all of 'em

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another sad thing (beyond the obvious biggest one being John Hurt's death) is that it felt like they had finally really nailed down the War Doctor's characterization, with his final line ("I may be the worst of them all" or words to that effect) hitting really hard.

On the plus side, it leaves the listener to fill in the blanks pretty effectively between that last story and The Day of the Doctor, but man it would have been great to have heard more with him building on where they left things.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In the DWM tribute issue to John, BF revealed that he had signed on to do four more boxsets before he passed away. :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

In the DWM tribute issue to John, BF revealed that he had signed on to do four more boxsets before he passed away. :(

I think that was mentioned in a behind the scenes on something too. Such a shame to lose a Doctor in the midst of them gleefully reprising the role. And now it kinda tracks why Tom records his box sets YEEEEEEARS in advance and they have up through like season 15 of 4DAs in the can

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Doesn't the novel Engines of War take place right before The Day of The Doctor? I haven't read it.

The reoccurring theme of the War Doctor really, really wanting to just be 'The Doctor'' again and go back to his old life is really well handled. In 'Only the Monstrous', you can tell he wants to just go off and have adventures in time and space with Rejoice, but he can't because of the war.

Pretty Lies ends with a pretty classic Doctor Who ending, with the Doctor outsmarting the bad guys with clever trickery and reworking the odds to help a base under siege, then as soon as he goes they simply return and blow up the planet out of spite. There's a sense of tragedy throughout the series - Leela having her mind fried and not knowing which of her possible timelines are her actual memories was pretty grim, especially when she's told that her memories of having children aren't from her timeline, and Romana is (probably) gone. Hurt and Jameson hit it hard in that one.

I do wish they'd leaned into horror a bit more - the second boxset showed off the rather horrifying existential dangers of fighting a time war, where normal rules are collapsing, really effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People are getting more creative in recreating the missing episodes. Refilming and deep faking and using the existing telesnaps and audio. It’s all very clever.

https://twitter.com/the66ramblers/status/1358780599482294272

https://twitter.com/the66ramblers/status/1359050712668278785