Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

I'd say John Hurt was an exception because of the special occasion. That reveal cliffhanger was wonderful, one of the genuine wait WHAT moments of TV.

Davison was also already beloved in Britain because of All Creatures Great and Small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gameko posted:

Who is the worst reboot doctor? I think they all bring something good to the role so its hard for me to condemn any one of them. Generally my displeasure with modern who is focused on the writing and series direction. The performances in who are almost always worthwhile...even the ones who chew the scenery.

In terms of performance, I don't think there's been a bad Doctor in the revival. In terms of the quality of the stories, Whittaker has been done no favors whatsoever by Chibnall's awful writing, but Capaldi's first season was almost uniformly terrible as well (with a few exceptions like Mummy on the Orient Express) and Eccleston had himself some real stinkers, too ... but so did Tennant and Smith.

But, really, Whittaker's run has been marked by a lot of low lows and has never really risen above aggressive mediocrity, which is a shame, because she is absolutely giving it her all but getting no help at all from the scripts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

we can't have Revenge of the Daleks because none of the writers are bold enough to have the Doctor decapitate Davros while yelling "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!" at the end of it

I just imagined Tennant saying this, and it fits perfectly with his Time Lord Victorious ego trip.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

And that's why I skip previews and spoilers/leaks/summaries for just about everything nowadays

I was going to say that I seemed to recall the "Next time on..." / "This season..." promos got better under Moffat's reign, and I believe they generally did in seasons 5 and 6, but then I remembered that eventually caution got thrown to the wind and we had John Simm's laugh punctuating a trailer for season 10.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

What do they actually mean by immersive theatrical experience?

From the website:

What is an immersive experience? posted:

One of the fastest growing forms of live entertainment! Audiences become participants in an experience rather than purely spectators at a show. We build detailed worlds that audiences can explore at their leisure. Productions feature multiple spaces, big and small, all with working features and amenities.

So I'm guessing some sort of semi-guided tour of set recreations with live actors, possibly with some CYOA-style stuff with the pre-taped material, something like that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

She really has been ill-served by her time in the role, she's probably had the most going against her that any of the lead actors in the role have had since the Colin Baker years.

No probably about it. She was always going to face an uphill climb by being the first woman in the role, because Nazis gonna Nazi and chuds gonna chud. But Chibnall has done her absolutely no favors and he is absolutely wasting her.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just want Chibnall gone. He has committed high crimes and misdemeanors by utterly wasting Whittaker.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't remember if we got AYBS?, though to be fair I don't recall ever looking for it. The main other Britcoms I remember WTTW showing back in the day were Two's Company (the Elaine Stritch/Donald Sinden comedy about a rich Yank in London, and her snooty butler), Sorry! (a comedy starring Ronnie Corbett as a hapless loser living with his parents), and I think To the Manor Born (which I never actually watched until a few years ago). Pretty sure they didn't get Red Dwarf until after I'd already left for the UK (which is where I first saw an episode of RD). There were probably some others back in the day, but I honestly can't recall off the top of my head.

WTTW showed a poo poo-ton of Fawlty Towers, at least when I was a kid (born in '84).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

So, what do we reckon? Season airing autumn this year, with seasonal regeneration special?

Filming started last November and they did eight episodes, so I'd guess an October premiere with a New Year's special, yeah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

From Radio Times:

quote:

Writing in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, Chibnall said: “The big change that happened during our tenure has been Doctor Who being produced through BBC Studios, rather than the BBC’s in-house Drama Department.

“It’s a difference which won’t really have affected how you view the show, but it affects the process by which the programme is made, managed and planned strategically.

“The appointment of a new showrunner is a commercially sensitive decision (way above the pay grade of an incumbent showrunner) so it’ll be a joint decision between BBC Studios and the top decision-makers at the BBC.”​

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I read a news item where Eccleston basically said that his one season on NuWho was a "nightmare" and that the "politics [were] raging", and that his relationship with RTD and Julie Gardner had "completely broken down". And that he'd made an agreement with RTD that he'd leave and they'd keep it quiet and he would continue to do publicity for the show until he'd left, only for RTD and/or the other producers and/or the BBC to turn around and publicly announce that he was leaving, with the reason given for his departure being that he was "tired" (about which Eccleston said he'd never said that, and that the only thing that was tiring was dealing with RTD, Gardner, and Phil Collinson).

So between making GBS threads on Eccleston and letting John Barrowman get his dick out whether people wanted to see it or not (to say nothing of what they probably turned a blind eye to re: Noel Clarke), I think it's fair to say RTD and Julie Gardner can go gently caress themselves.

Eccleston's memory is a bit off; as I recall, the BBC's release was actually a bit worse, saying that he was leaving the series over fear of being typecast, and they ultimately had to retract the entire piece about a week later.