Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I had a five-hour drive this past week and I finally got around to listening to the second set of Ten/Donna (and Wilf!) audios. Just hearing Tennant and Tate banter back and forth like they do made the drive fly by. The second CD in the set had a Judoon trainee who might be the funniest supporting character in a long time.

I remember going "oh God, the 'am I bowered' comedian is going to be on the show" and now Donna's my favorite revival companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
gently caress it. Maybe we should just give the Earth over to the Silurians/Zygons/Sontarans/Blue Kangs.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CommonShore posted:

They should just recast Captain Jack and not even acknowledge with so much as a remark on the new face. Just like "Oh hey Captain Jack" and the new actor enters and just starts chewing the scenery.

who are your nominations for the Second Captian Jack?

JD Drake. He can pull it off.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In an effort to brighten things up a bit, may the Fourth be with you!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Khanstant posted:

Sometimes I think my favorite doctor is just whichever one I'm watching presently.

Hypothesis confirmed.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Khanstant posted:

I'm surprised how expensive some Big Finish stuff is. Just was looking for a jumping off point, looked at tenth doctor stuff and its 20-30 bucks each. Is there like a radio station or something that just plays random ones? maybe a streaming deal?

I think Spotify has some of the older stuff, and sometimes BF will drop stuff for free/a single/a fiver.

Generally, the older stuff is 2.99 (American) or so for a download. Luckily you have us to tell which stories are great and which ones to avoid. I mean, you can get The Chimes of Midnight for 2.99!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love the Cybermen, but I feel Big Finish has done a better job with them since the revival.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's no good Cyberman stories in the original run after 1969

I liked Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, especially the first episode cliffhanger, but then they got jobbed out to a couple of Daleks and it's been all downhill ever since.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

"How did it go with the British?"
"They were very polite."
"Oh no :ohdear:"

The_Doctor posted:

Hilariously true.

“How did it go with the British?”
“They insulted me to my face.”
“Oh! Well done! When do you start?”

I haven't laughed this hard in forever. Well done.

Whichever showrunner they end up choosing, I hope there's a move away from "revealing the Doctor's REAL past" and a move towards them being nothing more than a madman/madwoman with a box. I loved the ninth season (Capaldi and all the two-parters), but it didn't need the whole "Hybrid" thing tying it together. I just want the Doctor to arrive, raise hell, and leave.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I don't know why I said Executive Producer for the Classic series, as opposed to Producer :doh:

Are you feeling OK? Perhaps you should sit down. I have a nice black leather chair right over here...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

The missing episodes turn up, but for some reason there's now a Chumbley in every story in some way, shape, or form

It's like The Haunting of Hill House. There's always one in the background JUST out of frame, or crouched under the TARDIS console, or hiding inside a Dalek's shell.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love Jodie's take on the Doctor, I love the companions, but the sum is less than the total of their parts. There hasn't been one real moment that reached out and grabbed me other than Jodie coming out in her premiere with the welding glasses and torch and the Master's reveal on the plane. Everything else has been... just there. Even the whole "The First Doctor wasn't the first regeneration" arc was more of a "well then" than anything else.

I put the blame on Chibnall more than anyone else. But what do I know? I didn't think Orphan 55 was a bad episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mr Hootington posted:

Did they cut the budget for the show?

I think this is one of the reasons the show translates so well to audio. There are no big space battles or huge gently caress-off set pieces. They tend to be smaller and more intimate.

Not even the Tories could cut the visual and effect budgets of our imaginations.