Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dr Who as a prestige series sounds like the worst thing it could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Whenever the issue of what BAME actor you'd like to see play the Doctor*, I'd always said David Harewood. Proper character actor with range, but not a big enough name that it'd overshadow the show itself.

I've still got my fingers crossed for Paterson Joseph. Funny, good at playing eccentric people. Everything you need for Doctor Who.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Paterson Joseph was already asked once and turned them down. :smith: On the plus side we got Matt Smith out of it.

I thought it was Chiwetel Ejiofor who turned them down and Smith got through as second choice. According to this article I just found, Joseph discovered he was considered and was "overjoyed": https://www.blogtorwho.com/paterson-joseph-discusses-audition-for/

OldMemes posted:

I was going to say him too, but I couldn't remember how to spell his name. I never understood people who want a 'big name' to play The Doctor - it should be character actors, or lesser knows who have a history of turning in solid performances without being household names.

Agree completely with this. I feel like none of the Doctors, apart from John Hurt and maybe Christopher Eccleston, would have been cast if they'd routinely gone for celebs over unknowns.