Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

One day, we'll know all the secrets of the shoes, and we'll stop our wandering

I can understand the TARDIS giving the Doctor clothes that fit, but where does she get them from, I wonder?

Does River drop off new clothes based on her backwards timeline compared to the Doctor's?

Wonder what the backlash would be if River Regenerated into a new body to pal around with later Doctors through the power of "because the plot said so"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Well she's a digital consciousness so she can be uploaded into an android or something.

It's time to bring back Kamelion

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1349658161075146752

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rewatched The Eleventh Hour and gave myself a headache remembering how the entirety of Series 5 worked as whole, so that's fun

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Reminds me of how Romana's outfit in Destiny of the Daleks was a pink coat & white scarf version of Four's ensemble

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Boyega just wanders onto the TARDIS set and starts fiddling with things

And then the whole set dematerializes :stare:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rewatched The Snowmen

Very Eleventh Houry with its dialogue and character bickering ("Who do you take me for?" "Sherlock Holmes.")

A very fun version of Clara as well, although since it's ultimately the same Clara as the rest of 'em, I guess we still got a few Series with her, in the end?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1358833297154056193

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Also Canon, and before the reboot, no less:
(Hotel! (2001)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHiIRXeDKQ

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's an ...interesting interpretation of "moisturize me"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hartnell and Troughton have fantastic expression work when they act and it's so much fun to see in motion

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zaroff posted:

Troughton died in 1987. Anyone know offhand when Smith was born...?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

See kids this is why you (re)watch what you like constantly so when it's revealed it's been forever and a day since they aired, you don't feel ancient because it's still fresh in your mind

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And that's why I skip previews and spoilers/leaks/summaries for just about everything nowadays

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Is that why Beevers is extra-crispy?

They took his desire for a Hot Doctor too literally?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1383088956170977280

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

How long before we get a "Nine gets cloned and his clone is voiced by Briggs doing his Nine impression" story?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OldMemes posted:

And there was the Johnathan Nathan Turner controversy from a few years ago.

Apparently Eric Saward said that Colin Baker lacked "the energy and eccentricity that the part calls for" and that's just factual incorrect. :colbert:

Pretty sure it was the writers and stories that lacked the writing that would let him unleash the energy and eccentricity, no?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Payndz posted:

Somewhere on YouTube is a rendition of Grainer's music done as a 'normal' TV theme of the era, and had something like it been used I doubt the show would have lasted so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

I can easily see that being used for an 80's sitcom - I think it'd fit rather well in the Cushing Doctor's timeline

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Been reading the novel of Day of the Doctor and it's such a fun experience with how each Doctor is described, both by themselves and other people around them, and the Moment is such a fun character

quote:

‘Oh, I can do it,’ she said. ‘I’d love doing it, it’s the way I’m made. Slaughter is my favourite high, I’m a slave to my endorphins. That’s why I decided to grow a conscience—I was worried I’d started to binge kill and, if I didn’t watch out, I’d run out of lives to end. You need to keep something in the larder, don’t you? But, you see, a conscience is a bit tricky when you’re the hard-wired psychotic AI of the most powerful weapon of universal destruction in the history of space and time, both directions. I think you could say I had conflicts. I’m afraid I took to sulking in a basement.’

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The long classic serials may have a lot of padding, but there's also a lot of downtime interactions between otherwise minor/background characters you'd never get in a 45-minute single episode of NuWho

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Aaand Barrowman's been axed from Doctor Who: Time Fracture over the exposure allegations

quote:

‘Immersive Everywhere has taken the decision to remove [John Barrowman’s] pre-record from Doctor Who: Time Fracture,’ it read. ‘We will continue to include content that pays tribute to this brilliant show that is Torchwood so as not to disappoint its fans, and are working on an exciting storyline to be announced soon.’

Barrowman recently told the Guardian that his behaviour was ‘only ever intended in good humour to entertain colleagues on set and backstage’. ‘With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously,’ he added. ‘Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Surprise. I suspect he’ll never appear in Who again. My boyfriend pointed out that RTD has been conspicuously quiet during all this.

From The Guardian's Noel Clarke article

quote:

Russell T Davies also he never saw Barrowman expose himself, and was unaware of any complaints about Clarke’s behaviour towards female coworkers on set and never heard of or witnessed inappropriate behaviour by the actor. Had he received a complaint, Davies said he would have acted immediately.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/KrynoidRoots/status/1392877836055236609

:allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFFl9VndC8

I wonder how Mel's screams sound in 5.1 surround sound

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1397560657491369986

Time to see what lies in Season 6b

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I doubt Ruthdoc's from 6b, since Three falls out of the TARDIS wearing Two's clothing, even after all the work Two does for the Time Lords during his exile

Unless that's why the Curator notes that sometimes the Doctor might revisit a few old faces during their lives?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1400799628187123713

Thirteen and Missy, with the fam conveniently getting sidelined for hopefully most of the story?

Yes please

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah yes, the good ol' "lemme repeat the same point for 45 minutes, then summarize the past 45 minutes in 3 minutes, and then repeat that for another 4 hours because CONTENT"

I am amazed at how many times and variations of "the characters have no character and barely react to anything around them while only ever reacting to outside stimuli rather than have any agency of their own" they managed to squeeze in there

And the really funny thing is: they're not wrong

They just go about it in the most obnoxious way possible

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Donna was great in that she could give as good as she got

Bill was just a lot of fun

My only real gripe with companions is when they alone can save the day for no (well-explained) reason, whether it's Clara feeding a sun a leaf or Bill overthrowing an alien empire with thoughts of her mother

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I got into Doctor Who from My Little Pony, of all things, so it certainly wasn't taste that got me where I am today

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the 3D animation for the simple fact the models stay on-model, even if some of the expressions on the 2D are priceless because they had no idea what the audio was trying to portray

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's a bit absurd how much acting One and Two did with their faces alone, and you lose all of that in animation

The way they eviscerate some of their enemies with that and their voice rather than beating them black and blue or blowing them up is so good :allears:

And it seems Jodie wasn't allowed to watch Doctor Who before her audition

quote:

“Doctor Who wasn’t something that was on TV in my house when I was growing up, so I thought I’d have to cane it before the first audition and watch every single episode,” Whittaker tells Marie Claire magazine.

“Thankfully, Chris [Chibnall] said, “I don’t want you to. I want you to come in with fresh eyes and bring what you would do in this environment.”

The actress also revealed that not being an “arsehole” on the set of Chibnall’s ITV drama Broadchurch helped land her the part – advice she says all aspiring actresses should heed.

“Broadchurch was a game-changer because I met Chris,” she added. “He wouldn’t necessarily have associated me with the right energy for [Doctor Who] otherwise. It’s a good job I wasn’t an arsehole! That’s the advice I’d give to a young actress; be a good person, have good banter and just appreciate that everyone is working as hard as you. There is no status, so don’t give yourself status you don’t need.”

What the gently caress, Chris

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 15, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

Well, that’s certainly the headline on the story, but it isn’t true? Whittaker says she was going to try to binge-watch Doctor Who (just the new series? Or the whole thing?) before her audition and Chibnall said “Please don’t do that,” in a very kind exec producer way that amounts to saying “I know the role and I think you’d do well with it without spending a solid month researching.”

And also “don’t spend a month of your time researching a role you’re just auditioning for at this stage.” If the story were about how he warned her not to watch past episodes after being cast, that might be a story, but this is just kindness.

It’s kind of a silly story anyway. Many of the classic series Doctors weren’t that familiar with the show and it was non-trivial for them to “research the role” like this. And I think most fans prefer Eleven to Twelve even though (or because of the fact that) Smith wasn’t a fan and did limited research while Capaldi was deeply versed in the whole series.

quote:

“I know the role and I think you’d do well with it without spending a solid month researching.”
Ah, the Rian Johnson approach to storytelling; certainly something worth emulating in TYOL 2021 - and look how well that turned out by turning the future of a series into a dead end so hard they decided to jump far into the past

...hmm...

Which is the same thing The Timeless Children did by saying HEY DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A BUNCH OF DOCTORS WAY BACK IN THE DAY THAT WE'VE NEVER SEEN?

Ah, suddenly it all makes sense, so thanks for bringing that to my attention

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Hm...I remember sitting there with Susan, fighting over that seat with Jaime... I think Jo snapped a heel there, and Sarah Jane dragged me here for a drink once..."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

That last panel is screaming to be a new avatar.

Now in handy .png for all your custom background needs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But it's not Friday

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Everything is canon

Contradictions arise because time travel nudges things out of place every once in a while because hahahahaha stable time travel mechanics hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Keep him away from Nine, since he'd kick the panes in