Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The Dæmons lifts some ideas from Quatermass but I wouldn't call it a rip-off. Now, Spearhead from Space, that's a rip-off; they didn't even try to hide it. Torchwood's Children of Earth had similarities to Quatermass IV (aliens wanting to take large numbers of young people for possibly frivolous reasons) but that was more of an homage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Plus killing off the Time Lords undermines all the interesting stuff Moffat did with them. Having the Time Lords in a weakened state, wondering where they should go as a culture now is a lot more interesting than 'The Master killed them all off screen somehow'.

There’s also the fact that we know they’ll come back eventually, just as they did before, so killing them off again will feel even more pointless.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Two Owls posted:

With hindsight a lot of the Virgin stuff wasn't very good, was it?

What do you mean, "with hindsight"?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I saw Battlefield again for the first time in a long time and it was good. It's a mess but it's good. It's crammed full of stuff but it works well enough to be enjoyable if not perfect. I wish Aaronovitch had had more of a chance to write for the show.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I saw Ghost Light again. It's good, though of course it's dense and confusing. I should watch the extended version (or reread the Target book). It's odd that Battlefield started as three episodes and got extended to four, even though Aaronovitch said it would've been better if it'd been shorter, but Ghost Light and Curse of Fenric both might've benefited from being longer.

Like Aaronovitch, Marc Platt is a writer who I wish had had more of a chance on the original show, but I feel like their writing just wouldn't work on the current show, or that the way the show is now made would twist their writing out of recognition.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The only Doctor Who I've ever seen is from the 70s at 1:00am on PBS (and I love it and that's why I started following this thread) but I can already tell that it's not a show that takes its own continuity very seriously, or maybe it just can't afford to take its continuity very seriously. Last week there was a swimming pool in the tardis that was clearly a municipal swimming pool in whatever town is up the street from the quarry where they film all the alien planet scenes.

I didn't know any PBS stations still showed Doctor Who.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t like to post exactly where I live, but I guess I just outed myself. I live in one of two cities in the US where they show old Doctor Who at 1:00am on Saturday.

I had no idea it wasn’t being aired nationally. It started last summer with what I guess are the first Tom Baker episodes.

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to out you there; I was just surprised. But back in the glorious 1980s, every PBS station really did show Doctor Who, usually on Saturday afternoons or late at night. American fans got a new serial every week and were generally unaware that many of those stories hadn’t aired in Britain for years.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Happy birthday Sylvester McCoy, Anthony Ainley, Sophie Aldred, and Sophie Aldred’s mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zaroff posted:

I’d looked into that, but when I tried ordering it from Amazon, it’s either unavailable (they were blocking international orders), or charging ridiculous shipping.

Have you tried Zavvi?