Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Doctor Whoooooo
Doctor Who
Doctor Whooooo
The TARDIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Don't say things you can't take back, at least Deep Breath is shorter than The Monster of Peladon

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

How dare you insult the giant penis monster

Creature from the Pit isn't for a few years

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Creature from the Pit isn't for a few years

Nor is Daleks in Manhattan

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gameko posted:

Guess we'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney+ in five years. The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

He should be ready to get paid by then.

What is this post, I mean really

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gameko posted:

If I were going to cherry pick some Whitaker run episodes, which would you recommend?

Demons of the Punjab

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I've just realized that I've never watched a 7/Mel serial. I think I've got a copy of Red on CD, but I've never seen them onscreen together.

Time and the Rani is often considered a classic

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

On a more serious note, Paradise Towers is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Tonight's random Who was Death to the Daleks, which is a really great story suffering under poor storytelling and pacing. It's all infodumped rather than anything organic meaning that while there are a load of ideas being thrown at the viewer, they all happen in such close quarters to each other that the rest of the story feels a bit empty.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It has one of the classic cliffhanger lines too Is this what you want? To be the ruler of a dead world!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gameko posted:

PBS broadcasts remind me of Dr. Who.

Here's a question...what happened to the buget for the show between the 2nd and 3rd doctors? Troughton's run never seemed to skimp on sets, extras, music...Pertwee's Doctor always felt held back. The music definitely seemed to take a nosedive during the 3rd doctor...and wasn't the decision to keep him on earth an excuse to slash budgets?

The ratings had fallen and the show was a bit out of favour. Also, the 3rd doctor isn't super cheap - look at some of the stuff Havoc do, eg Ambassadors of Death

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ikanreed posted:

I've started watching Classic Who, and boy howdy do women only exist for screaming in fear while a man tells them not to be afraid.

Depends on the writer, and the character; Victoria, for example, was always a bit more wimpy than either Polly or Zoe (directly on either side)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 9, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty sure that guy's just ripping off Keiran Hodgson's youtube stuff. That's definitely his audio, and the style's similar too.

I'd prove it, but Hodgson seems to have taken all his stuff down.

It's not his audio

https://twitter.com/kieranchodgson/status/1355052221868761094

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

And all of us have watched every episode of it

I watched a bit of Children of Earth but otherwise haven't bothered

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

The Daemons is a standout, mostly because it understands that there's nothing wrong with ripping off Quatermass and the Pit. :hmmyes:

As one of my fellow Random Who watchers mentions every time a Pertwee or Base Under Siege or similar story comes up, Doctor Who rips off Quatermass a lot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

If you've got the ability to do so, watching 'Monster of Peladon' (and indeed any six-parter)

Genesis? Power? Tsk

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last night's episode was TIME FLIGHT, with previous one being The Celestial Toymaker; it seems that racist Oriental caricatures are in this month

It's rubbish, although the proviso that BA put on using Concorde and Heathrow being that the BA staff should be shown to be really polite all the time (eg editing out use of the word "punters") makes this one of the most truly "how the british see themselves" stories in the entire run

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Not only did I go in unspoiled, I firmly believed the twist was *legally impossible* until it happened.

I, too, was stunned to learn that UNIT was founded by Billy Bunter

(A prize for anyone who understands the specific reference)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Doesn't Timeflight have the Master in disguise for literally no reason other than "its a two parter and we need a cliffhanger". Listening to UNIT Dominion now on Spotify, and yep, its really good.

It's a 4 parter. He spends 2 episodes in the disguise, including when no-one is around, the reveal is the end of ep 2.

The end of ep 3 is the Doctor going "well the master's won we can't do anything about it, sux to be us" based on absolutely nothing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Ah, it's been a long time since I watched it.

Some things are meant to be

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This week's random Doctor Who was The Sea Devils, which had a lot more random bureaucratic nonsense in the first 3 episodes than I remembered, overall much less fun than memory said. Oh well.

Next week's is probably terrible, it's the first story with the second doctor and I'm sure he takes ages to find his feet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Power remains absolutely terrific, amazingly modern story (modern being "good 1970s" rather than actually modern) compared to the hartnell stories only a few weeks earlier

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Put it another way, including the TV movie in '96, in "classic" Who, there was only 170 stories.

I count 159 (not including Shada, but including Trial as 4 and the dalek cutaway)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Homora Gaykemi posted:

or that the animated versions of stories with no existing episodes are worse than just listening to the narrated telly soundtracks

Disagree

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And there's Merlin. Paul Cornell was always super big on him being an alternate future version of the Doctor with red hair.

Or just McCoy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tonight's random Who was The Curse of Fenric, which is a story that eschews the normal story structure by having one episode two and three episode fours.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Someone offered to sell me the Ultima Machine prop from that recently, and I had to turn them down because it’s a bit out of my budget right now (plus I think it’s a bit overpriced).

One of the topics of conversation last night was "I wonder what's happened to the ULTIMA machine prop" so uh that's that one answered

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Glad to help! :tipshat:

Do you have any information on where the head of the lead haemovore is (the more detailed one that has flappy gills, that Cartmell thought looked crap but actually still holds up)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Curse of Fenric - and all of that series - are super weird in that it's entirely about the themes in a way that 99% (or more, even) of television isn't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mostly they'll be pissed because the earth has been abandoned due to solar flares

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dongicus posted:

is chris chibnal John Barrowman in prison yet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"I'm casting a hot person because I like to look at them" is beyond mild when listing the crimes of TV casting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nobody talks about Matt Strevens either, I'm not really surprised the showrunner gets the most attention in the current model.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Obviously anyone who underestimates Delia Derbyshire or Verity Lambert needs a seeing to, though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Cameras have always added 1 or 2 inches to the person being filmed, they could obviously make anyone set to whatever height they needed by adding more cameras.

They're not going full Hobbiton to make Smith seem taller than Gillen, like CE and DT were with their companions (which is the point being made)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Pretty much how it works for me too. :hfive:

Same unless I'm not watching a Troughton story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Oh wow, I legit did not know that. That's... so weird. Neurosis about relative dude altitude scars some people deep I guess. I was born the perfect height and managed to maintain perfect height every time the bumped it up a little, so I just don't know what it's like to be too tall or too short. Seems to really gently caress some people up.

It does matter for shooting though - the dalek redesign was largely because the original revival dalek was designed to be eye to eye with Piper, who is around 6 inches shorter than Gillen.

Khanstant posted:

Feel like I got some Brianstains Bares thing going on here. When I was a kid nearly all of the black and white Doctor Whos were lost, the BBC just taped over them because they couldn't afford to buy more VHS tapes.

The masters were wiped very quickly (in some cases weeks after broadcast). The 16mm copies were kept for a while though, and we basically missed out on them by only a few years because in the mid-late 70s it was decided that old Doctor Who had little commercial value.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

It's gonna be weird when in 30 years people are asking for 13's best stories, and getting replies like, "Well, It Takes You Away is pretty well-regarded, then the next-best story is probably Doctor Who and the Covid PSA, after that it's pretty slim pickings..."

No love for Demons of the Punjab?

efb

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Judson episode isn't a story, it's a teaser, and the others all basically suck.

Fenric sequel when

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After many, many years,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAenK95PfQ&t=156s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I'm surprised how expensive some Big Finish stuff is. Just was looking for a jumping off point, looked at tenth doctor stuff and its 20-30 bucks each. Is there like a radio station or something that just plays random ones? maybe a streaming deal?

edit: Listened to this not realizing at first it was a fan thing, their fake 9th was really good!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It's a fan thing with the real cast. There's also a load on spotify.