Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Doug was the first show I saw where it turns out the bully lives in a trailer park and has a single mom, which has probably aged nearly as badly as the whole "colorblind" thing but unlike the Doug's rainbow population was in virtually every 90s cartoon.

In the Disney version his mom wins the lottery and he's suddenly ejected into the upper classes and becomes nicer if I remember right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They made his sleeves too drat long

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The people who hate Doug the most also seem to be the ones who identify him the most, curious...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

EA Sports posted:

wow gently caress you rear end in a top hat (my rear end in a top hat)

Skeeter's tats are p sick ngl

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Seeing that Undergrads show and how painfully 2000 it is, it makes me realize that like 90% of the earliest webcomics were exactly in the vein of that show. The style of humor, the general layout, everything about it feels like an early webcomic that was animated.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can we talk about Salute Your Shorts in this thread as well or is Donkeylips chat verboten like in every other thread on this forum?

Huh?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's amazing how good looney tunes, disney shorts and poo poo like popeyes and fleischer supermens (mans?) look today still. And it's as you said entirely because there's no loving way some 100+ episode run tv show is going to get that sort of budget per episode
I saw some of those old Popeye cartoons that are... Rotoscoped, I guess? Whatever technique they used, he was walking through a dark cave and the background had very convincing parallax scrolling that gave it real depth and it was very impressive

Here's a gif of it in motion, I'd post it but I don't know how to save things off of reddit. I guess it is actually a model?

Heath fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 18, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Since this is a thread of 90s cartoon watchers maybe someone knows the answer to this

I have a very thin memory of a cartoon that aired in the 90s, and I have no idea which one it was, but there was an episode in which one of the main characters' (I think) grandfather had died, and he discovered the concept of reincarnation somehow and the scene I remember is him being knelt down on the ground outside picking up every ant he could find and asking if any of them were his grandpa

Does anybody know what loving show this might have been because I remember it being really depressing for a kid's show and that's my only memory of it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Amorphous Abode posted:

The dead relative was grandma and the main character was Louie Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH9PfiR38wo&t=774s

This might be the only episode of this show I ever saw as a kid, glad it all came together for this moment.

That's the one. Good god, you really can get answers for anything here

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mind the walrus posted:

Thx for the song recommendation this own.

How the gently caress were there so many of these types of cartoons that we're still unearthing them animation isn't cheap

I saw the Ultraforce intro at 4 in the goddamn morning once and swore it was a dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYV8fgKW-8Q

Seriously what the gently caress.

You can tell when something is marketed to boys because the gigantic muscle dudes get :krad: intro sections and the female heroes get so little screen time you can't even read their names

And why is there always an undead guy?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gentle Autist posted:

this is insanely unpleasant

Very apt

I feel like there is a lot of 90s cartoon veteran voice acting in this though. They really wanted Bubsy to be a thing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(chomping a cigar) We need a catchphrase and we need to hammer it home! I want every kid in America askin' their parents, "What could possibly go wrong?" (Dies of a stroke)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Das Boo posted:

Man, I loving love this.

We need a thread for weird Russian animation because it rules

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Does anyone remember Stressed Eric? That might have been the actual worst cartoon I’ve seen. At the end of every episode, the main character gets so stressed out that a giant vein pops out of his head and strangles him to death. That’s the plot resolution in every episode.

Was this a Klasky-Csupo thing or was it someone imitating their style for some ungodly reason?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Duckman was the only one of their shows where the art style actually felt appropriate

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Milo and POTUS posted:

We had an actual good animation thread within the last month but it died because you assholes would rather complain about doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FRr-_GABuU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Who What Now posted:

Did Klasky-Csupo do Wild Thornberries?

Yes, and Rocket Power, and any other ugly cartoon featuring people with pear-shaped heads

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Roger mostly just needles Doug, he never actually harms him, at least physically

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The episode where Doug's cool grandma gets him to try sushi got me interested in trying it and now I love that poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gavok posted:

I would love to see a full list of shows that were featured on these blocks, but I only remember four off the top of my head. Bubsy was one, there was a terrible Battletoads cartoon, there was some kind of musical cow family reunion cartoon that involved a couple characters accidentally traveling through time, and the ultimate failed pilot cartoon Legend of the Hawaiian Slammers!

I was gonna say that I distinctly remembered seeing a Battletoads cartoon at one point, on the TV, but I couldn't convince any of my friends that it was real until years later when someone put the pilot up on YouTube. I hadn't realized that it was only the one episode, so that makes sense with how I could've seen it and nobody else has.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Premise: Doug was, in retrospect, not a great cartoon and had an outsized amount of air time proportional to its quality

Reality: 35 year old goons project and reify their psychosexual trauma through the lens of Doug

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

He literally fractures into different personalities under pressure. Splitting is a genuine reaction to trauma but he really doesn't experience any beyond the twisted poo poo he conjures up in his own mind. He is literally giving himself mental illness

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

super sweet best pal posted:

Doug's fantasies are a maladaptive coping mechanism. He occasionally works out a solution to his problems through them but for the most part they're a means of escape until some unrelated event resolves them or he gives up and confronts his problems like a mature and rational person like he should have at the start.

He's 11 years old

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A good cartoon thread is one where you can't distinguish the people advocating a show about a child being interpreted as a deep dive character study of both the main character and his authors from the ones doing it ironically

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Sad you can't eat one on that other dude's behalf because again, no mention by me here.

Why is it so hard to get that this fictional 11 year old character is still functionally the avatar of the adult creator? I understand Doug the cartoon character should get a break for being 11 years old, except this show wasn't created by an 11 year old. In the interceding years between being 11 and being middle aged you'd hopefully pick up on some of the nuances or additional lessons from your past experiences. But no, maybe you're right, a guy who "doesn't see race" into adulthood definitely has an otherwise mature and comprehensive worldview.

Have you considered emailing Jim Jenkins with your concerns

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
To: Jim Jenkins
CC: Nickelodeon Questions and Concerns (feedback@nick.com), FCC Complaints Division (complaints@fcc.gov)

To whom it may concern,

"Emotional labor" is a term that gets thrown around a lot these days,

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

AmbientParadox posted:

Arnold was so mature and reasonable because he was raised by his grandparents, members of the silent generation. They were practical people who knew hardships and that shows in Arnold. If Arnold instead was raised by baby boomers, I have no doubt he would be just as confused and entitled as his peers.

Didn't his parents get lost in the loving jungle or something

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If there's any comparison to be drawn between Doug and Hey Arnold it's the tone of living in a city vs. the tone of living in a suburb

Arnold doesn't have to daydream a whole lot because his world is already filled with an interesting cross section of humanity while Doug's world is the bland and stifling suburban bubble where the most interesting guy in his life is his kind-hearted neighbor who nevertheless has to fill the empty parts of his life with consumerist habits

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I thought Aaah! Real Monsters was one of the more well regarded ones

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Coolguye posted:

lmao i was busy all weekend and really didn't expect repeating what other folks had said a half dozen times in the first 20 pages of this thread to blow up, but yeah, doug is definitely schizophrenic. just real quick, reminder that schizophrenia is not multiple personality disorder. it's where someone gets normal input and interpret it in such a bizarrely abnormal way that it results in hallucinations, delusions, blah blah and it fucks with someone's normal functioning. i'm sure webmd or mayo clinic or whatever will agree with me on that if someone wants to check a source, but i'm just firing this poo poo off before i pass out.

anyway, that's like 75% of all doug episodes. him loving up some basic input and turning it into a wild delusion that he whips himself into a frenzy over. you throw onto this that he's a self-centered brat and that his social circle frequently goes out of its way to feed in to his hallucinations and uh yeah "spoiled caricature of schizophrenia" starts to fit. the episode about a loving haircut is a perfect example, he hears an expression he's unfamiliar with and he goes into a crazed hallucination of body modification instead of realizing that poo poo is stupid and maybe he should ask a question. and then like 3 of his classmates feed into it to work him up even further.

go ahead and call me a dumb rear end in a top hat for seeing it like this if you want, i definitely do not want to get as heated as the last few pages did about a lovely dead 90s cartoon. but that poo poo went so far off the rails i felt like i should at least clarify a bit.

How do you take the concept of schizophrenia seriously enough to correct people on it but completely abstract the daydreams of a child in a TV show intended to be bright and colorful and highly visual to appeal to actual children

This is on the level of those wretched videos on youtube that take children's TV shows and read dark undertones into them, like "Are all the Rugrats actually ghosts" or some poo poo except it manages to be patronizing to actual mental illness, actual children, and anybody who reads it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Das Boo posted:

I guess I'm not sure why the terms "schizophrenic" and "mental illness" keep getting tossed around for Doug, then.

Because people need to read the darkest possible interpretation into the media they spent time consuming as a kid

Look at how many posts are talking negatively about the lessons they learned from watching Doug intermingled with accusations that the character and his creator are mentally ill with the implication that the show somehow transferred the bad thoughts into the minds of the people watching it, calling Doug's "coping mechanisms" "unhealthy" as though somehow the very concept of this children's cartoon got under their skin

There's a certain type of person who hates seeing themselves represented in media or identifying too strongly with a flawed character and psychologically pivots into trying to bully the fictional character by concocting ridiculous theories about how Actually, they should've pumped that kid full of lithium

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
im permabanned poster nickstomper58. i first started watching doug when i was about 7. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “daydreaming” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “killer tofu” and “i love eating liver and onions” in my head for hours, and i would get really anxious, start seeing Mr. Dink in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “children's television” style of Doug humor was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” Doug to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. honk honk.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Those stupid monster Garfield memes except it's Mr. Dink

"I no longer requirh eyeth, Douglath"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Cubelodyte posted:

Is it really cucking when she was never his girlfriend to begin with?

Depends on whose perspective you're taking

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Rockman Reserve posted:

the mental illness talk is a huge lol but the posts about how doug is a bad protagonist and failure as a role model are spot on

his obsession over patti starts halfway through the first episode and never lets up and is never healthy but it's presented as totally normal for kids to be insanely head-over-heels infatuated with people

e: that's not even to say that all shows or even all kids shows need a protagonist that is a role model, but from jim jenkins' own writing and the tone of the show itself its pretty clear that the producers thought they were making a completely different show than we remember it as today

It's amazing how every post with this logic starts off with "Doug is imparting bad lessons to children" before they think about it a little more and realize that Doug is literally a child himself and have to justify it

When you guys analyze a piece of media do you read everything to be taken as a didactic lesson about how kids should be weaned off of the rubric by which they process the world as early as absolutely possible? and that a character presented to children in such a way that they may be able to identify similar problems they've had, while using framing devices like elaborate daydreams and multicolored characters that are amusing and engaging* for the audience, you read that as mental illness and racism rather than the context of what it is, a show for literal children written 30-25 years ago?

This isn't even to defend Doug as a show, a lot of you have a really weird relationship with the media you consume(d)

*Whether Doug specifically accomplishes this part is another discussion, and I think the consensus is that Hey Arnold largely did it better

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(sound of pages flipping)

Goon: "The Very Hungry Caterpillar's relationship with food is really unhealthy. She spends the first half of the book eating everything in sight and the second half eating nothing at all, but she turns into a beautiful butterfly when she gives up food. This is a metaphor for anorexia, and the author was probably abused by his father." (Puffs thoughtfully on a pipe)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Rockman Reserve posted:

me: that's not even to say that all shows or even all kids shows need a protagonist that is a role model, but from jim jenkins' own writing and the tone of the show itself its pretty clear that the producers thought they were making a completely different show than we remember it as today

you, a very smart person: lol why do you think everything needs to be about a role model? i m very smrt

christ you're a dumb, contrarian motherfucker

Amazing that we're at the point where "perhaps you should not read so deeply into this children's cartoon" is the contrarian opinion

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The intitial premiere of Nicktoons is still in my mind even though I was probably five years old when it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chuckie exhibits a classic case of avoidant personality disorder and consistently displays emotional immaturity in spite of being the oldest member of the core group, constantly falling into bouts of anxious fantasizing. It's kind of hosed up that they allowed impressionable children to see this kind of behavior.