Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug was actually based on a real person, that kid grew up to become a full-on Trump cultist. This is Doug after he finished iterating on the Quailman concept:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There was a recess episode where a new kid showed up and was the best at everything.

At first the new kid doesn’t want to do anything or actually compete because the new kid knows that others will come to resent his greatness.

I don’t remember how that episode ended or what the lesson was supposed to be.

The lesson of that episode is that if you talk to or try to befriend the new kid then they'll push your poo poo in.

I was always that kid who was the greatest at everything without even wanting to be, this is why I have no friends even today. It's lonely at the top but I have my anime body pillows to keep me company

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug tortures small animals and you will never convince me otherwise

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't honestly say that Doug was the worst show, there are definitely worse shows

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Heath posted:

I do think it's interesting that this specific cartoon elicits strong feelings in people and that they are often negative. I've seen people talk about Doug elsewhere than these forums and sentiments are mostly of similar caliber. It could be because of the fact that Doug was on all the God drat time and it always seemed to come with the feeling that it was eating up a slot of a more deserving Nicktoon -- I remember watching the show and wishing loving anything else was on, especially Rocko. If you're of a certain age and demographic it's difficult not to have an opinion on Doug, positive or negative.

The show isn't even necessarily bad, just relatively boring when, in spite of the daydreaming sections, the show seems pretty down to Earth when you put it up next to completely bonkers things like Ren and Stimpy. But here you have people arguing with apparent sincerity about the mental state of Doug, that he copes poorly with stimulus and that that "teaches" kids bad lessons and "normalizes" bad thought patterns, that Doug, literal child, responds immaturely to his problems. And again, this is a show that aired concurrently with Ren and Stimpy, which is nightmarish at times, like that episode with Ren's rotted teeth, or the Happy Helmet mind-break episode, or the one where they get lost between dimensions and start experiencing reality-warping body horror. Looking at white bread Doug sidelong and going "man that kid's got some unhealthy issues" next to that rings hollow if you think about it for more than a second or two.

I also think there's an interesting discussion to be had around these things since we (meaning, the Millennials who would have watched Doug etc. growing up) have some degree of a shared cultural experience surrounding these cartoons. I'm going to bet there's a significant number of people who read this thread who grew up more or less living in Doug's (and Rocko's, and Arnold's, and Tommy's, et al) head for several hours a week. These shows definitely formed a portion of my mental landscape as a kid, and looking back on it as an adult, I feel a lot better about Doug and a lot worse about Ren and Stimpy, even though at the time Ren and Stimpy was definitely in my top 3 while Doug and Rugrats would have been at the bottom of my list of choices. Especially since I know dick all about Jim Jinkins except that he's probably a relatively benign Boomer guy while I know more than I'd like to about John K. being a creep, even though I find John K.'s artistic output a lot more entertaining.

"I think it's weird that people feel strongly enough about a 90s cartoon to write a forums post, time to one up them by writing an essay"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 31, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think the low quality of the Doug cartoon comes from it being one of the first original cartoons that Nickelodeon produced and they were really eager to generate their own content but didn't want to spend any money. Honestly Rugrats was some of the same bullshit, just lame as poo poo animation and stories. Kids will watch basically any crap so they weren't concerned with hiring talented people, they were just taking whichever pitches cost the least amount of money. In the case of Doug they got hoodwinked by the kind of person who thinks that kids will stop masturbating if they just eat more oatmeal, but to them it was fine because like I said the quality didn't even matter.

Ren and Stimpy was also a hoodwinking, but in a good way

So then Nickelodeon had some real money to hire real talent and they asked "hey what if we actually start making good cartoons instead of the cheapest poo poo imaginable", which led to Rocko getting made. And that basically defined how Nickoledeon animation would operate going forward: produce a bunch of cheap bullshit to fill time slots while putting some actual effort into a reasonably good cartoon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Doug is the progenitor of the entire modern subgenre of cartoons like Bojack Horseman and late-stage Steven Universe where there are no actual jokes and instead everyone is depressed and talks about their feelings and has #relatable moments. Easily the worst legacy of any of the original nicktoons.

Bojack Horseman is actually funny though

And Bojack Horseman is portrayed as a fuckup loser who constantly brings down everyone around him, and not as a positive role model at all

... so Doug can't have been a source of inspiration for it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug is out there right now, calmly writing his manifesto on an old typewriter that he found under his parents' bed after he murdered them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug didn't want patti to see his goofy running stance so he detonated a bomb at the boston marathon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In one of the episodes Doug's class is planning a trip to New York City, and he has an anxiety attack because he's scared that he'll get mugged by stereotyped Italians. So he gets the trip cancelled by planning and carrying out the September 11 attacks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

Is Doug the Shinji of his series? Or is he the Rei?

Doug is whichever character masturbates with their sister's socks while watching snuff films

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't watch Evangelion, play Dark Souls instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVgeIyZLL80

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug became a fervent poster to 4chan and a Donald Trump supporter, he began posting online under the alias "Q" after intending to sign a post as Quailman but accidentally posted after only typing the letter Q

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Everything that I've posted in this thread is canonical

Doug went back in time and cuckolded his father, Doug is his sister Judy's real father

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug saves up enough chore money to buy his first car, he refuses to ever use the turn signal and he can't figure out how to parallel park so he just uses handicapped spaces instead. This is portrayed in an endearing light until Patti's dad can't use a handicapped space that Doug has taken. Doug and his dog fall over laughing and the episode ends

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This better not awaken anything in me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

I went on a road trip recently enough and when we passed billboards for The Thing I immediately thought of the Doug road trip episode. In fact, I think It in that episode was directly based on The Thing (which is apparently the corpse of a two-headed snake).

I'm not saying it was a good show or anything, quite the opposite. The moral of that episode seemed to be "if you whine enough you'll get what you want," which is an excellent lesson for children in the target age range.

Oh yeah I think I remember the episode that you're talking about, it loving ruled.

My favorite scene was the one where Skeeter blasts Doug with a flamethrower, and then Doug's head pops off and grows legs and starts to skitter away like a spider and Roger goes "You've got to be loving KIDDING me, Funnie!" That made me laugh my tits off as a little kid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Mod cocksuckers up to their old tricks. Guess who didn't give consent to this??? :mad:

Doug doesn't understand consent

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Phil and Lil, the twins in Rugrats, had a mom that always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

:wiggle:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pretty good posted:

- the one where Chuckie's dad gets involved in some kind of dodgy get rich quick scheme or commits fraud or something so they're like ultra rich for a little while before it all comes crashing down

I don't remember the source of the windfall but I do remember how he lost it all: he invested in some lovely invention that sprays water in your ear to "clean" out wax but it actually just encouraged wax growth

Don't ask me why I remember this specific detail about a cartoon that I haven't seen in 30 years

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol imagine being the kind of very responsible parent who doesn't even notice their baby pulling a huge wad of noodles out of their diaper and handing it to a waiter

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Isn't he pulling it out of a pocket in the bib?

ah gently caress you're right

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug started the website somethingawful.com

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mega64 posted:

e: The most Doug image:

Did Roger always have 1 leg that was twice as long as the other?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug is the one who convinced Donald Trump to run for president as part of a scheme to prevent Patti from noticing that he had some gum stuck to his shoe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember that the Doug + Rugrats crossover movie was pretty good, the last 45 minutes are extremely weird, really did not expect Doug to just start reciting the John Galt speech

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zombiepop posted:

For a second there I thought there was a live action Doug movie. A man can only dream.

I wonder who would play Doug.

A moist pile of newspapers from the 1930s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Heath posted:

No one disputes this

Correct

Just as it is correct that Adult Doug keeps human heads in his freezer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm reminded that Batman Beyond was gonna have Terry open Bruce's old freezer and find Mr Freeze's head in it, probably being like "Oh, hello." before they decided on a much better if much less funny plot.

drat that would have owned

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, who's gay in Adventure Time? Marcy?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hell yeah, you go Marcy

I don't think Bubblegum can be classified as gay, straight, or anything other than "candy abomination" but that's cool

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The only thing funnier than people feeling obligated to love notably bad cartoon Korra just because it had half a second of same-sex hand-holding at the end is that now Disenchantment is doing the same thing and nobody gives a poo poo. It really is a bunch of boomers being completely out of step with the rest of the industry.

Korra had a big fanbase before that so I don't really think that's the reason that people like it

I liked the aspects of Korra that explored industrialization in a world where some people have element-based magic powers. I'm not going to say that it's the best show ever or anything like that, but overall it's pretty good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In the second season of Doug there's an episode where Doug is in class and suddenly he says aloud "I think this Hitler guy had some really good ideas"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Am I gonna eat a probe/ban for this?

Just out of frame Patti's leg is chained to the table

e: Oh poo poo they may be eating loco moco that's actually kind of cool but is 100% the kind of thing that would give Doug a panic attack

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Haulin Oates posted:

Beatniks have been visual shorthand for artsy, out-there theatre types for decades

I think Beavis and Butthead also had some beatnik characters in one episode? I also have a memory of Heffer dressed as a beatnik, but that could be a false memory (lol human brains). So same era, but I don't recall seeing beatniks in popular media beyond the 1990s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tried to validate whether I really remembered Heffer dressed as a beatnik and google image search revealed this:

(apparently my memory was real, the episode where Heffer becomes a beatnik is The Emperor's New Joe, but Google Search doesn't reveal any images of it)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Can this thread just be about Rocko's Modern Life now? Rocko is great

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

holy poo poo lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug makes a big deal about how he has "colored" friends but definitely voted for Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When Doug learned about Napster he wrote a letter to the RIAA to tell them about it