Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
"There's a bomb in the lasagna!" is what I remember for some dumb reason, and his weird dramatic older sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tato posted:

Rocko's Modern Life remains good. As an adult, I find it's portrayal of the soul crushing banality of existence to ring true. Each year I become more like Ed Bighead

Absolutely no one on Earth ever liked Ahhh Real Monsters

I was just daydreaming about that Monsters show. I remember the monsters looking pretty unpleasant and the main one having an annoying voice.

I can't recall the setting very well at all--who were the antagonists, just other monsters? Were humans involved at all? I feel like they lived underground or something.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

you broke my grill posted:

i love Mission Hill. Oakley and Weinstein are working on a revival focused on Gus and Wally. I am not excited.

That's sort of worse than the property being dead, but good for them I guess.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can we talk about Salute Your Shorts in this thread as well or is Donkeylips chat verboten like in every other thread on this forum?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Who What Now posted:

Aeon Flux always reminded me of Reign: the Conquerer. Weirdly lanky people doing violence for impossible to follow reasons

Reign also had designs by Peter Chung, so that makes sense. It honestly does a decent job of using Alexander myth and history, though obviously it takes some liberties.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Xaris posted:

I would say it depends on period. From around 1991 to 1997 it was extremely on point. Ren & Stimpy (it's extremely divisive and was absolutely should not have been a kids show), Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, Pete & Pete, Clarissa, Salute, Alex mack, All That, Space Cases, Double Dare, Wild & Crazy Kids, WWYD, GUTS, Hidden Temple, Figure It Out, Weinerville, and Are You Afraid of the Dark. In that same period the real big stinkers were Doug, Ah Real Monsters, Hey Dude, and prob a few other ones.

Mods!?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Since this is now the defacto Salute Your Shorts thread, consequences be damned, let's take a look:

Eddie C is of course better known as Donkeylips, the beloved star of the entire show.

Does anybody remember the theme song, where Budnick changes the lyric to say "Camp Anawanna, we hold you in our heart / and when I think about you, it makes me want to fart!"?

They were really just a bunch of Wild n Crazy Kids! Speaking of that show, there must have been hundreds of kids who played in the big field day like contests every episode, but have you ever met one in real life? Kind of makes you think, since they've never released the formula for slime...

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ikanreed posted:

Why does michelangelo have bowser's clown car??

Is Doug even on there?? I see Roger

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It would have been amazing if the shorts had Sonic wearing sunglasses, a leather jacket, and chain-smoking to wordlessly evoke Cool.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lost opportunity to tie cool Sonic with cool Scooterz, imo:

https://youtu.be/mREGFmnUK4I

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I remember the SPC theme song and one random gag where the bird enemy guy gets told to mind his Ps and Qs or an H would fall on his head, and he goes "what?" and then an H fell on his head.

Weird thinking of how you'd write the dialogue based solely on the animation, I feel like that could be a cool contest where different teams do that and you compare the end results.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Heath posted:

I vaguely recall that episode but I think it mentally merged with another show because I can't remember Doug in it

LOL, Doug becoming invisible in the memories people have of his own show is peak Doug

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Phil and Lil, the twins in Rugrats, had a mom that always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

QuarkJets posted:

Doug is the one who convinced Donald Trump to run for president as part of a scheme to prevent Patti from noticing that he had some gum stuck to his shoe

The thread was only waiting for this moment to arrive

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Really the entire early 2000s run of Cartoon Network shows was pretty dire, I'm not surprised that the people who were kids then have more nostalgia for anime and live-action Nickelodeon sitcoms.

You keep bringing up Salute Your Shorts like you're just begging for a probe, but I guess if we can talk about it now, I'm definitely down. It's one of those things I wish we could be more open about, but it looks like the mods are sleeping a bit on this thread at the moment, so might as well take advantage of it.

I definitely think season one is stronger, with some real emotional highs, like when Ug's girlfriend dumps him and of course the unforgettable mix-up when Donkey Lips gets Dina's letter that was intended for Michael. You can see how he imagines a whole scenario that the audience knows is fantastic, but it's still pretty crushing to see reality assert itself by the end of the episode, leaving Donkey Lips a mocked figure of fun, like he so often is.

Budnick and Michael faking sickness, on the other hand, is fairly classic in its depiction of kids getting out of something by faking illness; a memorable Pete and Pete episode has Little Pete doing something similar, though without the detail of the campers spewing up corn kernels onto Ug's shoes to demonstrate how sick they are with fake vomit.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

You Are A Elf posted:

When I was in fifth grade, I had a classmate whose dad worked on production of Hey Dude at the Tanque Verde Guest Ranch in Tucson, Arizona, and he got to tour the sets and meet the cast, and I even think he had a cameo in an episode as a background character.

One day he shows up in a really nice letterman jacket with the Hey Dude logo lovingly and meticulously stitched on the back, and I got incredibly jealous :lol:

This is interesting because like I mentioned earlier, I've never met a single soul who was on a nickelodeon show and there should be thousands of California or Florida kids, I would think, who could claim to be on one of them.

You'd think you'd have met them at a frat party in college but it never happens, or they'd be a coworker that brings it up at a happy hour, but again, it doesn't seem to happen.

Hey Dude in general was sub to SYS of course, because a ranch just isn't as relatable as summer camp. And the cast wasn't as good either, with no standout characters like DL or Budnick. Though, in one sense, Hey Dude had a quasi poetic description of the ache that comes after good labor, where Danny says that even his hair hurts.

Somehow it got 5 seasons though, while SYS only had 2. Not sure what they were thinking, honestly.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Xaris posted:

wait what the gently caress is wrong with salute your shorts. why are goons so bad and mad about it

I'll send you a PM, don't want to risk getting this awesome thread closed for talking about meta stuff.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The one that sticks with me is the brother and sister in an apartment where the top floor is a toy experiment lab, but it turns out the toy people are actually aliens who can only visit once every decade and they were trying to retrieve the sister, who now is a creepy alien with no face since the brother heroically foiled their plans, and the boy turns to look at her true face with horror.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Matlack Radio posted:

I played Risk in an attic at a party with the guy who played Papercut on Pete&Pete.

Did you recognize him or was it him bringing it up? Somehow him bringing it up brings to mind the sad celebrities you see doing the convention circuit, charging $25 for an autographed picture.

I would be curious what happens to former Nick stars, though--wasn't Little Pete the main kid in the Problem Child movies?

And we all know where DL from SYS ended up :classiclol:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I heard this old song called Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand and I think it must have been in the airwaves while I was at a Doug watching age because my brain created a music video of Doug scenes set to that song and it was pretty well done because the song is weird and kind of sad sacky like Doug is.

The chorus is "I've been downhearted baby ever since the day we met" and the mind video had Doug approaching Patty, then turning away in cowardice for fear of embarrassing himself.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yes! Seems like we have mod approval now as well, assuming no one brings up the drama from the bad old TVIV days.

What's everybody's favorite SYS episodes? I think the capture the flag episode was great, it made me want to have elaborate neighborhood night games.

And speaking of live Nick, did anyone ever wonder what getting one of those pies in the face on Double Dare would have been like? Were they just whipped cream or did they have some kind of crust and filling? I know the sliding into the big one where you had to search around for a flag or something must have just been whipped cream but that giant fake cherry in there little kid me thought could possibly be real and I really wanted to eat a cherry that large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You joke but Pinsky did grow up to be in Rilo Kiley with the girl from The Wizard/Troop Beverly Hills.

Oh yeah
Okay
Okay wait
Oh my God, Blake
That's what she said
In bed

Holy poo poo, I had no idea it was THAT Blake who also starred in SYS. Who apparently was ALSO on Boy Meets World as Joey the Rat.

For the question of what Nick child star had the most success, I mean--from Pinsky into a fairly successful indie rock band is a step up both in artistic credibility and probably the eyes of the world, right?