Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Jesus won't let me gamble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I believe it was Australia that had it so you could just buy tickets electronically and some investment group would just mass buy tickets to win over and over until they stopped selling them electronically because of this and you simply can't physically buy enough tickets to make it work.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

NeonPunk posted:

Isn't there an amount where it's possible to buy up every single possible combination and still make a profit off it?

Just checked, there's over 302 million different possible combination so you only need about $605 million to guarantee that you get a jackpot for sure.

The Irish lotto had at least one attempt at it: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/how-a-secret-syndicate-managed-to-buy-the-lotto-35981173.html

It's pretty goddamn tedious, and if you split the reward (as they did) it really kills your profits. They still did ok, I saw one estimate of ~300k profit on a million pound risk, but only because there was a rare bonus on near misses that week. Otherwise they probably would've lost money.

They also had to resort to paying a shitton of runners to buy tickets since the lottery is absolutely watching out for this, so nobody really knows exactly how profitable it ended up being.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ArbitraryC posted:

Something similar to this has been done but keep in mind the risk is p significant in that once it goes over the price where the estimated return on a ticket is greater than the cost is around the same time when everyone is buying them so if you go all in on this strat and there’s a not bad chance you’ll end up splitting the jackpot and losing money regardless.

There's also the problem of creating the 300 million tickets to scan and the time it would take to scan them all. Also finding the 600 million dollars needed to do it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

can you play either of these lottos without having to pick any of the numbers yourself?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I. M. Gei posted:

can you play either of these lottos without having to pick any numbers yourself?

Yeah, unless you fill out a form it just randomly generates 6 numbers for you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

mallratcal posted:

Is it wise to take out a 2nd mortgage and buy lotto tickets with it?

Yes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nobody won either jackpot. So we are at:

#3 all time, mega millions: 850 on tuesday.
#6 all time, powerball: 730 on wednesday.

Craziness.

Good luck, all.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
If I win I will share it with all posters in this thread.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

My rectum is pretty big right now

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I am going to play next time and steal the pot to glorious europistan! Take that suckers, I don't even need it to pay my health insurance!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Shoot why don't we just do a goon project? Let set up some wacky scheme to come up with some good numbers, and I'll buy the tickets. I'll split the winnings with y'all afterwards.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't there some point where having that much money just becomes silly and redundant to the average person? When I was younger I obviously thought that point was 1 million dollars, but as I've gotten older I've only shifted that goalpost a little to 5 million. Who the hell needs hundreds of millions? Give that poo poo to charity or your loved ones or something.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gologle posted:

Isn't there some point where having that much money just becomes silly and redundant to the average person? When I was younger I obviously thought that point was 1 million dollars, but as I've gotten older I've only shifted that goalpost a little to 5 million. Who the hell needs hundreds of millions? Give that poo poo to charity or your loved ones or something.

I agree and I would like to point out that I would very much be satisfied with just 5 millions from any goon that wins.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Can't win if you don't play!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Gologle posted:

Depends what you do with it and where you live. If you're smart with it sure you could probably draw out $100k a year from the 5 mil without ever touching the principle. But it's not enough money to just put in an account and go spend, its only 5000 $1000 purchases after all & you have plenty of ongoing expenses.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fools! The real money is in the Scratchers! I have a system

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, someone won Powerball tonight so that will reset. It was the 5th largest jackpot ever.

Mega Millions is looking to be around 1 billion for Fridays draw. 3rd largest ever.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
say if someone were to really buy 100s of millions of tickets (plus did actually win) i wonder how much you would have to win to just break even considering all what i hear about is tax taking huge chunks from winnings

boats easily cost millions of dollars if you're wondering how to waste it, if you're creative enough with luxury that is :smug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, someone won Powerball tonight so that will reset. It was the 5th largest jackpot ever.

Mega Millions is looking to be around 1 billion for Fridays draw. 3rd largest ever.

Winning ticket was sold in Maryland if there are any reading..

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The numbers were absolute poo poo, nothing lower than 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the balls hosed me