Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's been a while since we've had a big jackpot. I suspect we are about to get inundated with lotto fever because of the size of the jackpots.

Mega Millions is estimated to be at $750 million for tomorrows draw.
Powerball is at $640 for Saturday.

If those numbers hold then MM is the #5 jackpot of all time while PB is #9.

If no one wins either then MM will shoot up to #3 behind the two 1.5 billion draws we had a couple years back. PB will likely shoot up to top 6.

It's funny, a few years back, if the jackpot topped $300 million, people would freak out. But then we had that first 1.5 billion and it became ho hum, just 300 million? Yawn. Also, the lotto odds getting skyrocketed has caused more big jackpots.

Oddly, this is not the biggest they have ever been concurrently. One of the 1.5 billions had the other over 500 million around the same time. This is the first time both have been over $600, though.

So what are you doing with your lotto winnings?

I'm going to buy more lotto tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gary oldmans diary posted:

i dont play those little 50 million jackpots. if i win i need it to be a life-changing amount

:same:

My stupid theory is that you only gotta win once so if it's not gently caress-you money then I'll wait.

Winning only $10 million means I'd have to be relatively careful with my permanent vacation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mozi posted:

yeah but if you had 10 mil imagine how many more lotto tickets you could buy

:vince:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BluPotato posted:

I work for lottery operations in one of the states so I can't play, but it is always fun to see the massive spike it sales once the jackpot breaks a threshold amount and you start hearing about it in the media reminding people about it.

Have you noticed a higher threshold for people losing their poo poo?

I remember it being 300 million or so and people would go nuts. But ever since the first 1.5 billion the only other time is when it hit 1.5 billion the second time. Really, that was the end result of people freaking out when it got over 1 billion or so.

Tonights is the biggest jackpot since and no one seems to care. I'm sure if no one wins tonight it will attract a lot of attention.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ArbitraryC posted:

Something similar to this has been done but keep in mind the risk is p significant in that once it goes over the price where the estimated return on a ticket is greater than the cost is around the same time when everyone is buying them so if you go all in on this strat and there’s a not bad chance you’ll end up splitting the jackpot and losing money regardless.

There's also the problem of creating the 300 million tickets to scan and the time it would take to scan them all. Also finding the 600 million dollars needed to do it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I. M. Gei posted:

can you play either of these lottos without having to pick any numbers yourself?

Yeah, unless you fill out a form it just randomly generates 6 numbers for you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nobody won either jackpot. So we are at:

#3 all time, mega millions: 850 on tuesday.
#6 all time, powerball: 730 on wednesday.

Craziness.

Good luck, all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, someone won Powerball tonight so that will reset. It was the 5th largest jackpot ever.

Mega Millions is looking to be around 1 billion for Fridays draw. 3rd largest ever.