Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Every once in a while, the wheel is reinvented. If we’re lucky, smart, or even particularly ingenious, we find new ways to do old things. These novel approaches can flip convention completely on its head, or ever so slightly tweak a well-known formula. The latter is precisely the case with a recent internet hack that’s been sweeping the internet.

It all started on TikTok (duh, where else?), when, on December 29th, user crystalscookingfun took a flour tortilla, cut a slit along its radius, placed a single ingredient into each of the circle's quadrants, folded accordingly, and griddled the whole affair to crisp perfection in a panini press. Her folded wrap included a sliced chicken cutlet, spring mix, tomatoes, and grated cheese. Here's the general formula:
It wasn’t until the next day, however, when TikToker ellcarter1 stuffed her spin on the original with breakfast foods (bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese) that the technique truly took off. Her video has since amassed more than 6 million views and spawned enough reproductions to populate a small country.

Plus, it solves a bevy of problems. It replaces the often tricky task of rolling a flour tortilla bulging with ingredients into a sad excuse for a burrito. It also allows you to have a bit of every ingredient in each bite, and that’s a cause I can get behind. Once you master the technique, the possibilities are, quite literally, endless. Since its debut online, the trick has appeared across all corners of the internet. Online, some are going the classic route, while others are giving it the dessert treatment and subbing a crepe for the tortilla.
I asked the brilliant editors at Food52 to submit their own four-ingredient fillings. Here are a few they came up with:

Brinda Ayer, Editorial lead: Soy-marinated baked tofu or eggs, sriracha mixed with cream cheese, kimchi or kraut, scallions

Arati Menon, Senior editor: Grilled/roasted eggplant, kale slaw, lemon aioli, crumbly feta

Jess Kapadia, Senior editor: Pulled chicken, smoked gouda, pickled red onions, BBQ sauce

Emma Laperruque, Food editor: Fried egg, crispy Taylor ham, American cheese, hot sauced ketchup

Rebecca Firsker, Assigning editor: Tuna, cheddar, caramelized onions, pickles

Caroline Mullen, Assistant lifestyle editor: Chicken cutlet, cheddar, romaine, honey mustard, and mayonnaise

These are all fabulous suggestions. I might go the caprese route and fill one with pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella, mortadella, a drizzle of olive oil. and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Or I might take a tip from Saltie’s famous Scuttlebutt sandwich and layer spiced aioli with pickled vegetables, a smattering of feta, sliced hard-boiled egg and some ham, for good measure. The wrap is your oyster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
I like my tortilla raw :cool:

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!
what kind of loving idiot talks about a tiktok sensation and then doesn't include the videos that make it. especially one about food.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think Russia hacked my tortilla

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
tik tok is illegal now. please don't try and make me an accessory to anything

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Just wrap your tortillas the normal way like an adult.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god grow up already

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How loving stupid do you have to be to not know how to make a regular rear end quesadilla and think you invented something on top of that? :thunk:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

How loving stupid do you have to be to not know how to make a regular rear end quesadilla and think you invented something on top of that? :thunk:

THIS IS THE TIKTOK TORTILLA HACK THE ENTIRE INTERNET HAS FLIPPED THE gently caress OUT ABOUT YOU FILTHY SICK poo poo WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND YOU IGNORANT gently caress LORD

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I LITERALLY CAN'T STOP CUMMING WHILE HACKING THESE TORTILLAS ALL OVER MY GODDAMN HOUSE

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tortilla

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I looked it up and its just a way to make a quesadilla

Quite frankly, it makes my sick to my stomach.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Halloween Liker posted:

That is an exceptionally bad way of cooking holy poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Que means what

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

Que means what

Huh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm trying to come to peace with whatever the gently caress this is, please send help.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Halloween Liker posted:

this is the dumbest loving thing I've seen since looking in the mirror this morning

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
this thread makes me feel victimized

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Beef City posted:

THIS IS THE TIKTOK TORTILLA HACK THE ENTIRE INTERNET HAS FLIPPED THE gently caress OUT ABOUT YOU FILTHY SICK poo poo WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND YOU IGNORANT gently caress LORD

I actually just like to use two tortillas and crimp the edges down with my fingers in the pan and cut it into 6ths. Takes all kinds though, reckon. :clint: :chef:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Tor......til...la....?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Scald posted:

what kind of loving idiot talks about a tiktok sensation and then doesn't include the videos that make it. especially one about food.

the op has a disease that makes his brain into a real piece of poo poo, cut him some slack

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
that quesadilla amalgam is a hate crime committed to paninis

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the op has a disease that makes his brain into a real piece of poo poo, cut him some slack

this isn't true at all I'm just a loving idiot.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Halloween Liker posted:

is it bad that I'm impressed

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
you know drat well all the tomatoes slopped right out of that 3rd fold, and it's stupid to not fold the cheese up to the main chunk instead of folding all that loose crap over to make it go clockwise in the photo. "How can I make a quesadilla, but pretentious and unnecessarily complicated?"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Scald posted:

is it bad that I'm impressed

It ain't great

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Please please, I can only handle so much proof that Tik Tok is worth billions.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Not that bad of an idea imo

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

I think we've all been around long enough to know the internet was a mistake, it's heart-warming that it continues to prove that fact true over and over again like this

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

what i usually do is fold it in half then cook it on both sides so its a half circle |)

hope this helps op

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Don't you generally want the cheese in contact with the other ingredients?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looks bad, OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Algol Star posted:

Who told you that

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I just mash everything into the tortilla and ball it up like a snowball and shove the whole mess into my gaping maw I don’t have time for this rolling and folding poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I just mash everything into the tortilla and ball it up like a snowball and shove the whole mess into my gaping maw I don’t have time for this rolling and folding poo poo

Ha ha Roly poly

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
excellent. i have often found myself asking "how can I eat a giant wad of tortilla with a few sad pockets of filling separated by layers upon layers of tortilla"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Hey, that's how I always make them! Except I fill every quadrant with pastaburgrs.

naem
May 29, 2011

Halloween Liker posted:

I don’t see why having tortilla separating your ingredients from touching each other is desirable, it’s just dry bread

e:

Algol Star posted:

yeah usually it’s cheese or maybe butter or another oil that is the glue that binds with the bread that creates the consistency that makes it tasty and crispy etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

naem posted:

I don’t see why having tortilla separating your ingredients from touching each other is desirable, it’s just dry bread

I agree, get them all in there.