Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like "google listens to me and serves ads" doesn't make sense because you can just go look at the page google uses to let people buy ads and there is no button to do that. Like they make you pay 50 dollars per impression on a good keyword but they just throw this whole elaborate illegal scheme in for free? To who?

Like I could buy that like, disney had some under the table deal with google to get access to secret buttons in the advertising console. But like, a guy above was saying "wawa" came up. What would wawa do special to get that? Why would wawa get it but not their competitors? Just some free bonus add on you get if you buy another cheaper ad or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lib and let die posted:

Most likely, your internet traffic is tied to either the MAC address or some unique serial number at the DMARC.

The newest generation of apple products from this year all use false spoof MAC addresses, which is a wild concept that feels like it's going to break a lot of things.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The newest generation of apple products from this year all use false spoof MAC addresses, which is a wild concept that feels like it's going to break a lot of things.

lmao apple is so loving stupid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apples powerful stance against advertising is amusing to me because they were so horribly bad at it that their ad group imploded so they went "ok, gently caress this and gently caress that" and have succeeded.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
It's product differentiation that also informs the consumer base about the sketchy practices of their main competitor. If you can't beat 'em, gently caress with 'em.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lib and let die posted:

New mac address for every network, every 24 hours. On by default on anything apple.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

New mac address for every network, every 24 hours. On by default on anything apple.

Lib and let die posted:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That's an option that can be enabled on the pro version of windows as well.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

loving insane. Nothing should be changing in my environment unless I tell it to

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like "google listens to me and serves ads" doesn't make sense because you can just go look at the page google uses to let people buy ads and there is no button to do that. Like they make you pay 50 dollars per impression on a good keyword but they just throw this whole elaborate illegal scheme in for free? To who?

Like I could buy that like, disney had some under the table deal with google to get access to secret buttons in the advertising console. But like, a guy above was saying "wawa" came up. What would wawa do special to get that? Why would wawa get it but not their competitors? Just some free bonus add on you get if you buy another cheaper ad or something?

You can buy demographic info. People interested in "Home and Garden" for example. Maybe Google has data on how many times a user says the word "flower" and sticks them in there.

Google is not going to tell anyone how they get their data.

I won't be surprised if eventually the word processing is done entirely on the phone or recording device and it only phones home with a smaller amount of data rather than sending the entire voice data to some mega server.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

BiggerBoat posted:

I always kind of wondered this myself. It never made sense to me that someone would be dumb enough to log in and search that poo poo or even sue their own cpu. Why not just go to the library? Or is that logged through your card I wonder?

I would guess that Incognito mode or not, if you're a murder suspect they can still find your web history.

I think you'll find that many criminals are in fact quite dumb

Fried Watermelon posted:

You can buy demographic info. People interested in "Home and Garden" for example. Maybe Google has data on how many times a user says the word "flower" and sticks them in there.

I won't be surprised if eventually the word processing is done entirely on the phone or recording device and it only phones home with a smaller amount of data rather than sending the entire voice data to some mega server.

That would be bad for battery usage

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fried Watermelon posted:

I mean, the idea really isn't that it's technologically possible or that google would be too non-evil to do it. You can open google maps and click timeline and see a time stamped address by address list of every building you've ever been in, and you can go on google adwords and see the exact depth of how much they mine you.

The impossible part is that google is offering this service secretly for free for no apparent benefit. Like they make wawa pay hundreds of dollars to get a dinky banner put on a page, but also someone at google is designing elaborate illegal secret skunkworks projects to..... give wawa ads to people that just said wawa? Like, it's a lot of layers of conspiracy to do something more mundane and pointless than much more useful (and sinister) things they just do openly. It's SO much work to hide a secret project that seems only so marginally useful. Like wawa pays for the ads, pays for an add campaign, then google just adds a totally separate second ad campaign that requires a globale coverup and massive clandestine server infrastructure in there totally free? Based on the very shaky idea that people would like ads that happen minutes after they say the thing the ad is for?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If google had this, they would be selling it. You can see all their various offerings and how it works and if they had invested the untold effort it would take to create this you bet your rear end Id have already sat through 20 meetings about it.

I mean, crimminy, Ive sat through meetings about things Google has thought about doing that didn't exist past the concept stage.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Yeah, it’s not that they couldn’t do it or wouldn’t do it, it’s that if they did it they would advertise it as a button you can click in the Adsense console, not a secret program they used for you for free in a weird and inefficient way with no apparent business plan for any part of it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

On one hand, Baader-Meinhof/recency bias is plenty enough the explain most, if not all, cases of "I said a word in a conversation, and now I'm seeing ads about it", not to mention that the potential fallout of something like this if revealed would make the risk/reward math just not worth it.

On the other hand, expecting the worse from these big corporations is probably a good policy in general. That doesn't mean going into "conspiracies are true unless proven otherwise" mode though.

However, what weirds me out is that people in general do not seem to extend that suspicion to smaller players. From personal experience, they tend to play much faster and looser with... everything really, including PII.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 28, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What fallout? No one who gives a god drat has any power to do ANYTHING about it, and the inverse is also true.

.random
May 7, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Incognito mode doesn't do anything to encrypt your data once it leaves your local network.

Most likely, your internet traffic is tied to either the MAC address or some unique serial number at the DMARC.

Legit pretty much all incognito mode does is use a clean temporary internet files location, so you don’t have things like your existing cookies loaded.. oh and it doesn’t record your history, locally.

DMARC is an email authentication protocol so not really related.

IP spoofing is presumably harder to do to the ISP who is assigning your IP, but even if you did, it is unlikely to help you since there is no way to get the response data to come back to you - it’ll go back to the spoofed IP and therefore your search wouldn’t return your results to you.

MAC addresses on the other hand are 100% client-side spoofable so that doesn’t help with a knowledgeable malicious type.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

.random posted:

Legit pretty much all incognito mode does is use a clean temporary internet files location, so you don’t have things like your existing cookies loaded.. oh and it doesn’t record your history, locally.

DMARC is an email authentication protocol so not really related.

IP spoofing is presumably harder to do to the ISP who is assigning your IP, but even if you did, it is unlikely to help you since there is no way to get the response data to come back to you - it’ll go back to the spoofed IP and therefore your search wouldn’t return your results to you.

MAC addresses on the other hand are 100% client-side spoofable so that doesn’t help with a knowledgeable malicious type.

Sorry, I'm an old voip guy. We use dmarc in a totally different context haha

.random
May 7, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Sorry, I'm an old voip guy. We use dmarc in a totally different context haha

Reaaaaally? I’m totally curious about that! Could be stuff I just know nothing about as another (maybe even “off label”?) use of DMARC. I hope I didn’t come off as too aggressive; was still half asleep as I was replying.

Long story short, though, incognito is almost the same as clearing your cookies. (It’s not 100% true though because it also changes some parameters which are used to do browser profiling like potentially your plugins. The EFF (https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/) has some interesting info on browser fingerprinting, which will leave you feeling super good about your life)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

.random posted:

Reaaaaally? I’m totally curious about that! Could be stuff I just know nothing about as another (maybe even “off label”?) use of DMARC. I hope I didn’t come off as too aggressive; was still half asleep as I was replying.

Long story short, though, incognito is almost the same as clearing your cookies. (It’s not 100% true though because it also changes some parameters which are used to do browser profiling like potentially your plugins. The EFF (https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/) has some interesting info on browser fingerprinting, which will leave you feeling super good about your life)

Yep, some of the older field guys I work with call the punch down board (where they still exist) a dmarc. I learned a lot from them and it just kinda stuck with me.

I still use the word flowchart too, which apparently classifies me as an old.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I would definitely think "Demarcation point" before I thought email protocol if someone said dmarc.

It's the point in your wall that their wires turn into your wires. That seems like a super common term.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I would definitely think "Demarcation point" before I thought email protocol if someone said dmarc.

It's the point in your wall that their wires turn into your wires. That seems like a super common term.

It's largely been replaced by PBX - Private Branch Exchange

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lib and let die posted:

It's largely been replaced by PBX - Private Branch Exchange

Nah, a PBX is device/system that manages your internal phone system.

The phone company has some wires on the telephone pole. You pay them some money and they run a wire to your building. you then patch their wire into your own wire and plug your wire into your PBX so it can manage all the internal call routing and dial 9 to call out and call in voice menus and voice mailboxes and forwarding and extensions and other modern phone routing stuff. The demarcation point is the point where their wires touch your wires. You also use that same word for fiberoptics or any service where you hire an outside cable of some sort to connect to your building and there is a line where the outside guy owns the wires that turns into you owning the wires. Its the "call the phone company to fix this" vs "call our guy to fix this" line

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

BiggerBoat posted:

Have there been any good categorical studies that estimate how much cheaper health insurance and meds would be it we removed their advertising budget? My ex's friend worked in pharma advertising and told me it was minuscule but I honestly don't know.
A lot of that industry is basically fudged accounting, so trying to identify advertising budgets in isolation is incredibly difficult. The AHIP lobby will tell you that in a breakdown of premium costs, only 4.4% is "Other Administrative Expenses", which includes advertising nominally, but you'll also note that a lot of their breakdown refers to advertising by other names so it can be slotted into other categories (sponsorships, "educational events", the business-to-business marketing lumped into "Business Expenses", etc.)

That's part of why "profit" seems strangely low too- if you're, say, Cigna, and you own a Pharmacy Benefit Management company, Express Scripts, then your PBM subsidiary's profits come from charging hospitals $92 for $26 worth of amoxicillin, which impacts what those hospitals charge you as a patient and impact prices in the "Hospital Costs" slices of the premium and so on. And PBMs have their own advertising budgets, lobbies etc. Also stuff like, do you consider manufacturer rebates to get onto a formulary marketing? Because there's a whole host of costs associated with that, and PBMs aren't required to publicly report on it. They tend to claim ~90% of that's passed back to plans, but it can't be independently verified.

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 30, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tubgoat posted:

What fallout? No one who gives a god drat has any power to do ANYTHING about it, and the inverse is also true.

I feel like GDPR and actual fines have shown that the EU is starting to do something.

If phones were actually collecting voice info for advertising, I'd look at the OEMs like Samsung before I'd look at Google, just because they're going to be a lot more tight lipped about this, and the work to do this can happen entirely within hardware that they own. We already know that they have smart TVs always listening, etc, as an ability, so having a secondary ad market stream of "the person with this specific hardware profile is interested in this" would be a lot more reasonable, except that it still gets into tinfoil hat territory. Somehow, no one knows about this, except for every advertiser controlled by a global elite of jewish martian communist anarchists who

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Why's everyone think the global predator class is Jewish? They worship Mammon, not G-d.
Come the gently caress on, people! Not directed at y'all.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

It’s racism, or occasionally religious prejudice.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A list of commercials/campaigns I hate, in no particular order:

Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercials

Prescription drugs

Peloton

Public image campaigns for Boeing, raytheon, FP&L, etc

AT&T Wireless

Commercials that use songs I like

Commercials that use songs I don't like

Perfume commercials

Sprite commercials

Nuvo Ring. Just having a total normal one flash mobbing about jabbing a copper dam up my hop hah

Flo and her insurance hos

Morningsave

Commercials styled to look like news

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You've missed "literally any ad that uses children, because they all end up being terrible."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

You've missed "literally any ad that uses children, because they all end up being terrible."

The one where the kid drops the dumpling and the dog gets it is cute though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PT6A posted:

But especially the ones where someone uses their own kids, who just do not want to be there and you can tell.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

That loving folgers commercial holy poo poo I hate that kid

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I defy anyone to visit this website and try to circumvent the ads long enough to learn how the Arizona GOP is openly trying to steal elections. Jesus Christ

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ons/4310030001/

Lib and let die posted:

A list of commercials/campaigns I hate, in no particular order:

"All of them" is also an acceptable answer

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

"All of them" is also an acceptable answer

I mean yeah but there are some commercials that are so bad/annoying that they manage to penetrate my "tuning it out field"

Like Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercials.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

That loving folgers commercial holy poo poo I hate that kid

That's like the only good commecial :wtf:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

GQ did a deep dive into that commercial a couple of years ago. Shockingly, the actress who played the sister declined to be interviewed.

https://www.gq.com/story/folgers-incest-ad-oral-history

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

That's like the only good commecial :wtf:

No the zoom meeting one where the mom is doing the Rocky duck dive and dodge trying to block the camera from the kid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know if it came up in this thread but Jaegermeister made an ad campaign that, broadly, was about hot furry dudes with homerotic undertones, and according to someone working on it the designer just played dumb and nobody involved in approving it knew what any of the stuff was except "animal people".

Its not the first or last hornt up stuff leaking into ad creative and its why I will never look at that folger's ad like a totally innocent mistake.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Barudak posted:

Its not the first or last hornt up stuff leaking into ad creative and its why I will never look at that folger's ad like a totally innocent mistake.

whenever would that hahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFStD3wQMeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
there's a line of discussion: how the hell for a few years carls jr got away with essentially smut on primetime