Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven’t seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

go play outside Skyler posted:

my philosophy on this is to make sure your kid feels okay to talk to you about what he sees without judgement.

good point, we definitely have that in place. i guess I’ll just step back and see if this is just a nothing burger.

go play outside Skyler posted:

humans have sex. some like poop. it's part of life.

hello new email signature

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my son came to me over the weekend and said "look at this gif mom sent me" and he used a soft g. i don't know what to do with these new feelings. should i discipline him? he certainly didn't learn that kind of language from me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s time to install netnanny on your router, I’m afraid

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sounds like your kid is avoiding the terrible hard-g mistakes you've made with your life. that's good parenting

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welcome!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok my wife is finally back from the hospital at least. just crossing my fingers that her bp stays low enough.

gonna lose a lot of sleep when the boy graduates from the nicu. do they really just let you take infants home? that seems like it should be illegal, i feel like i don’t know enough yet.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Eeyo posted:

ok my wife is finally back from the hospital at least. just crossing my fingers that her bp stays low enough.

gonna lose a lot of sleep when the boy graduates from the nicu. do they really just let you take infants home? that seems like it should be illegal, i feel like i don’t know enough yet.

it’s hosed up yeah

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eeyo posted:

in korea almost everyone goes to a joriwon for a week or two. it's a kind of after-birth hospital facility where they take care of your baby in the nursery (you can go there to nurse, or take baby to your room anytime) while mom gets to rest and recover, have food brought to her, and get whatever medical attention she needs. they also have classes about newborn care.

it cost us about $2,200 for a week and a half, but the government subsidized about 80% of that so it was nothing. it is an absolute godsend, i have no idea how people are expected to immediately check out of the hospital with a newborn. ok mom you can't walk and you're full of drugs and adrenaline, you need to take care of this precious little thing that needs 24/7 attention, good luck

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
our son was really easy. He was a bad feeder so he had to have a bit of formula so there was a little stress there but otherwise newborns sleep a lot and don't really need anything except feeding, changing and burping.

from 2 till 3 1/2 was the nightmare period for me. We are expecting our second in June and that's what keeps me up at night. Just a ball of energy that demands your constant attention and stimulation, oh also it's going to get up between 4 and 6am every morning.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

abigserve posted:

our son was really easy. He was a bad feeder so he had to have a bit of formula so there was a little stress there but otherwise newborns sleep a lot and don't really need anything except feeding, changing and burping.

from 2 till 3 1/2 was the nightmare period for me. We are expecting our second in June and that's what keeps me up at night. Just a ball of energy that demands your constant attention and stimulation, oh also it's going to get up between 4 and 6am every morning.

our first was like that (and to a degree still is) but then our second was chill as hell and likes to go off and play with toys by herself and occasionally come grab your hand to show you her handiwork

so far #3 is more chill than #2, but she’s only a month old so we’ll find out more as she exits the larvae stage

speaking of #3, she was back to birth weight at a week old and last week was 1.5lb over bw and a full inch taller. the best part is she’s sleeping in 4-7h chunks at night, which is really a loving godsend. the timing was also really great since I had two weeks pto and then a week and a half of shutdown time from the holidays, so I’ve been off since before Christmas and don’t start back until Wednesday

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

fisting by many posted:

in korea almost everyone goes to a joriwon for a week or two. it's a kind of after-birth hospital facility where they take care of your baby in the nursery (you can go there to nurse, or take baby to your room anytime) while mom gets to rest and recover, have food brought to her, and get whatever medical attention she needs. they also have classes about newborn care.

it cost us about $2,200 for a week and a half, but the government subsidized about 80% of that so it was nothing. it is an absolute godsend, i have no idea how people are expected to immediately check out of the hospital with a newborn. ok mom you can't walk and you're full of drugs and adrenaline, you need to take care of this precious little thing that needs 24/7 attention, good luck

We had to do the newborn takehome at the beginning of pandemic lockdowns and it sucks rear end not having any help because we refused to let anyone in the home for fear of Covid. My parents eventually came over but they wore n95 masks and were only there for a few days. All our friends disappeared in their own bullshit so we were struggling a lot.

That said I think all that hardship helped make us pretty good parents. It feels like ages ago but you pretty much step up to it because you kinda have to

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

abigserve posted:

you will be fine. you have all that experience to draw on from before, with the first u don;t know

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

That said I think all that hardship helped make us pretty good parents. It feels like ages ago but you pretty much step up to it because you kinda have to

100%

I think the biggest mistake I made during the pandemic was relying on Disney+ to keep the kids entertained when I watched them while working and my wife was at the hospital working, but on the other hand I managed to not lose my job while handling a 3mo->18mo and 19mo-> 3yo

it wasn’t like 8h/d of tv, but it was definitely more than whatever doctors recommend :sigh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we got little jones's little league stuff over the weekend

cant wait to play catch with the boy and immediately dashing any looking-up-to-dad feelings he has. i am hoping that he takes me being very bad, but still having fun, to heart

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think the biggest mistake I made during the pandemic was relying on Disney+ to keep the kids entertained when I watched them while working and my wife was at the hospital working, but on the other hand I managed to not lose my job while handling a 3mo->18mo and 19mo-> 3yo

it wasn’t like 8h/d of tv, but it was definitely more than whatever doctors recommend :sigh:
LOL I would have off'ed myself 3 weeks into something like that so don't feel too bad.

Achmed Jones posted:

me being very bad, but still having fun
This is the way

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it was one of the most brutal things I’ve had to do and I’m still somewhat burned out from it, but now I have a great relationship with my kids and solidified my desire to never go to an office again

the last four weeks off have been tremendous for the burnout issue, but also showed me my wife has it way harder considering she’s scaled her hospital hours down and took over most of the house stuff

keeping a house up is a fuckload of work if both of you are picky about how straightened and clean it is, and it’s legit harder than my real job

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it was one of the most brutal things I’ve had to do and I’m still somewhat burned out from it, but now I have a great relationship with my kids and solidified my desire to never go to an office again
keeping a house up is a fuckload of work if both of you are picky about how straightened and clean it is, and it’s legit harder than my real job
:hai:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this is why my house is a tip

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This is a polite way to say one you is cleaner than the other

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

This is a polite way to say one you is cleaner than the other

the missus is much cleaner than I am overall, however, with two kids running around the adult messes are somewhat less noticeable :v:

she’s way better and keeping things the way we like it as she goes compared to me, who generally has to do it at the end of the day because I wander around forgetting what I’m doing lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s literally challenging to deal with the situation of being the person with “lower” (more effective) standards of being clean etc.

i am looking at moving in with partner this year and I am going to be face to face with it

yes I am useless. yes I think about killing myself rather than putting poo poo away. does this make me a good person? unlikely. who wants to marry a clown? who knows

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Any good books on being a dad?

Looking for some winning strategies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
top tip from a book was that you shouldn’t say “good boy/girl” because you don’t want to teach your kids to look for praise from their parents, rather you should say “you did it”, so the kid can be proud of their achievements for the sake of achieving them, rather than doing something in the hope of praise from their parents

that’s the entirely of all the lessons I got from parenting books

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SpaceAceJase posted:

there are no good dad books. they’re all some variant of this:

at worst or, at best they’re like “hey dude (brah) lemme tell you about how kids are very fulfilling (wait don’t turn on the game!)”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

as said, dad specific stuff tends to be very toxic. general good parent stuff is just fine

for basic beginner/newborn stuff the pdfs here are a good start from what i can speak to: https://nshealth.ca/public-health-publications

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

+1 to "would have gone insane if child was this old in peak lockdown".

it was bad enough when she was off nursery for a week, a lot of TV got watched that week.

El Mero Mero posted:

there are no good dad books. they’re all some variant of this:

at worst or, at best they’re like “hey dude (brah) lemme tell you about how kids are very fulfilling (wait don’t turn on the game!)”

chuck tingle: origins

e: look at the weak flex on that kid smdh

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

SpaceAceJase posted:

There are two sides to being a good dad, one is just being a good parent, for which I recommend Crib Sheet by Emily Oster. It's an economist going over the data and her own investigations into all the contentious parts of raising a small child like breast feeding, cosleeping, potty training, discipline- and the data shows nine times out of ten shows the really heated subjects are pretty grey in terms of how much doing it one way or the other matters. Really good book to set the stage- people will give you passionate advice (and judge you for your decisions after the fact) when it comes to raising a child, but that's their problem, not yours, because the the science is not settled on how to raise a kid.

The other side of being a good dad is about being a good man, and modeling that behavior in front of your kids every day. The idea being that, consciously or not, sons of a good dad will use you as a role model and the daughters of a good dad will compare every future suitor against you. I've probably learned more about being a good man from "Wooden on Leadership" than any other one book, but your mileage will vary on that front, as you could probably fill out a list of things that your son should grow up to be and your daughter should grow up to expect of a partner that has nothing to do with what I think is important.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

echinopsis posted:

top tip from a book was that you shouldn’t say “good boy/girl” because you don’t want to teach your kids to look for praise from their parents, rather you should say “you did it”, so the kid can be proud of their achievements for the sake of achieving them, rather than doing something in the hope of praise from their parents

that’s the entirely of all the lessons I got from parenting books

focusing on trying again, especially when something is difficult, congratulating that hard work instead of the outcome, and talking in yets as in "you can't do that yet" was something I took away from things. because I want to help him avoid the trap of thinking he's innately smart when things come easily but giving up at the first sign of failure.

but really dad lesions should involve watching all of Bluey and taking notes about Bandit and Chili (except for Bandit's competitiveness) and watching Mr. Rodgers and taking notes on everything.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

as far as books Baby 411 and Toddler 411 are quite useful.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my pro tip if you have a dog is to have your kids start feeding them and doing commands with them pronto so the dog will listen and so the kids feel important. the dog listens best to whoever gives them food*, and it’s important that your kids are able to give basic commands in case the dog gets too excited and dogbergs them or something

also it’ll eventually be one less thing you need to do in the morning

*this has so far been super applicable with labradors, I’m not sure how food motivated a gsd or husky or poodle is going to be

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I liked "Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads"

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

my biggest complaint about most dad books is that they all either have the feeling of a utilikilt ("here's a random set of hodge-podged mens magazine listicles...for men!" where the lists are a mix of obvious, useful, and imaginary useful garbage) or they're well-meaning counsels about fatherhood but the starting point is either "babies are like a sports-ball analogy" or I know you think babies are gay - but there's nothing more manly than ~*~love~*~"

The latter are okay...but feel very very remedial especially hen you compare them to what's in the mommy books

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the last four weeks off have been tremendous for the burnout issue, but also showed me my wife has it way harder considering she’s scaled her hospital hours down and took over most of the house stuff

Pay for a person to come clean your house its so much easier. I was getting extra bitchy about our house because im a huge clean freak but loving when do you have time/energy to clean, just accepting the expense has made everyone happier.

My biggest complaints these two huge loving dogs but they're so fluffy :3:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
We just had all most of our 1 year shots and it was a nothing burger thank god. Pediatrician splits the shots a few months apart because she thinks its excessive and I guess i agree?? Got the last 2 (or 3?) in a few months

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Mr. Crow posted:

Pay for a person to come clean your house its so much easier.

this. even once a month is worth it. of course, our last two cleaning ladies have quit the profession due to medical issues, so we’re now back to doing it ourselves for a bit until my wife can find another one.

big shame about the first one especially, she was absolutely fantastic.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gonna be honest here, I don’t think I could ever do that and even then if I felt like they were getting proper pay for it, it’d probably blow our budget out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

like I’d rather take the psychic damage than exploit some lady making minimum wage, but also if she’s getting a fair wage it’d be expensive unless she can clean this place top to bottom in like three or four hours lol