Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

like I’d rather take the psychic damage than exploit some lady making minimum wage, but also if she’s getting a fair wage it’d be expensive unless she can clean this place top to bottom in like three or four hours lol

I mean its only exploitation if you are not paying a fair wage? Also they just do the basic poo poo which sounds overpriced but it gives so much piece of mind, our lady is out once a month and finishes in half a day but even that is a huge mental relief. Frees my mind/wallet to deep clean random poo poo without being stressed about spending two hours vacuuming all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I guess how much is a fair wage? I’m assuming this is like $300/visit, but maybe I’m just attaching too high of a price to something I’ve always associated with “rich people do this”

obv usd in Cali or nyc or something goes less far than usd in Detroit but I can’t imagine it’d be affordable

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lol around here there’s all these questionable signs advertising “polish maids”. as in maids from poland who are in the chicago suburbs to clean your house for some reason? one of the signs assured me that yes, their maids are from poland.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no it meant the polish the furniture

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

doesnt Chicago have a huge polish diaspora? maybe they’re talking about Polish maidens looking for a husband lol

either that or someone to practice polish with? that’s so bizarre

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I guess how much is a fair wage? I’m assuming this is like $300/visit, but maybe I’m just attaching too high of a price to something I’ve always associated with “rich people do this”

obv usd in Cali or nyc or something goes less far than usd in Detroit but I can’t imagine it’d be affordable

$40 / hr seems to be average around here for "professionals", ofc it probably varies quite a lot.

$300 would probably be the cost for a deep clean.

Its not an insignificant amount of money but again, if your a clean freak and you have a small child its so worth it. i guess it depends on how well you can handle it, i was getting super bitchy

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

retail is exploitation. big business is exploitation.

letting a professional cleaner into your home to do their job at their pace while paying a reasonable wage is fine. i guess it's a little jarring because paying someone directly for their labour -- who probably earns less and works harder than you -- removes the veil from all the other ways we benefit from the labour of others in our daily lives. like hiring a cleaner is more ethical than eating a banana.

(obviously not talking about the more exploitative sort of cleaners or live-in immigrant nannies. just hiring someone who cleans to clean your place for a couple of hours. it's ok. you're not causing capitalism.)

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 21, 2023

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
we pay our house cleaner about $40/hr and our nanny like $25/hr but the former is here 3 hours every 2 weeks and the latter has guaranteed 40 hours a week so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
til I earn basically the same as a cleaner

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
There's a quality of life tax for working in middle zealand

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
my 3yo learned the term mutualistic relationship from watching creature cases but doesn’t really know what it means so she’s been walking around calling everything a mutualistic relationship in her little toddler voice :3:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

god if I knew this child was gonna be off nursery sick and have a massive screaming meltdown at 3am, I would not have got as drunk last night

:rip:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

god if I knew this child was gonna be off nursery sick and have a massive screaming meltdown at 3am, I would not have got as drunk last night

this me but the day my child was born

don't drink within a week of your due date, dads

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

loving oof

ours was a bit early and occasionally I think "poo poo if I'd been drinking I wouldn't have been able to drive to the hospital"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
our first baby was epidural and they said “you’ve got at least an hour before baby is due, mother should rest” and she she went to sleep and I went out and did what any expectant dad would do

I had a quarter pounder

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kenny Logins posted:

It sounds like a poo poo post but it's not. You will NOT be getting sleep, do not drink.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
y'all if you're getting hosed up often enough that it is statistically likely it could negatively impact your life you should try out wateruary or whatever

its not hard for non-addicts to keep from drinking when there could be negative consequences

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

he’ll don’t drink within a month or two, you never know when an emergency will pop up.

my son is doing well in the nicu, he downed like 2 or 3 whole bottles last night so i think he’s getting close. he’s just got to prove he’s got the eating skills. he’s pretty grabby, yesterday he partially pulled out his feeding tube and choked on a bit of milk before the nurse could catch it, oops.

our plan when he comes back is to split up our beds so one is in the nursery and one in our bedroom. then like i’ll take care of him until early morning (3-4) and my wife takes over at the next feeding. hoping we can manage a bit more sleep that way. pumping didn’t work for my wife so we’ll be bottle feeding, which makes taking turns easier.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i haven't been able to have more than 2 or 3 beers for 4 years now lol. it is what it is. plus i start gettign hung over almost right away these days anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s exactly the same as saying that you get puffed when you run and can’t do a marathon anymore

you have to practice that poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ll have like one mixed drink a night, usually like a dark and stormy or a rum and coke, sometimes a bourbon sour if I’m treating myself, but that’s mostly because I don’t like beer and cider is good but pretty drat expensive comparatively

I’m looking forward to the baby sleeping through the night soon so I can start to enjoy adult beverages and herbs again. she’s 5 weeks old and already getting 6-8h/night and is 2.5lbs and 2” bigger than when she was born, but she also managed to get the boogers so she isn’t sleeping great and we keep having to noseFrida her so she can breathe better

speaking of the nose frida: new parents itt, buy one now. it’s fantastic and the moment you’ll need it is when you won’t have it. you don’t have to try to shove a bulb sucker down a pissed kids nose and worry about getting their nostrils inflamed and them unable to breathe, and you can easily get every last bit of snot from every inch of their nose and sinuses with it and a bit of saline. absolute fuckin game changer and I wish I wouldn’t have let the ewies keep me from giving it a shout years ago

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of the nose frida: new parents itt, buy one now. it’s fantastic and the moment you’ll need it is when you won’t have it. you don’t have to try to shove a bulb sucker down a pissed kids nose and worry about getting their nostrils inflamed and them unable to breathe, and you can easily get every last bit of snot from every inch of their nose and sinuses with it and a bit of saline. absolute fuckin game changer and I wish I wouldn’t have let the ewies keep me from giving it a shout years ago

yeah big agree here. was also very useful for that time when your kid sticks cheerios up their nose.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

humans are so dumb. imagine being born with a body with holes that just fill up with snot at random and it needs to be sucked out or you die. loving evolutionary disaster

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh yeah those are a life-saver. we actually got a motorized one (nosiboo). it was expensive but paid for itself the first time baby woke up screaming because he couldn't breathe out his stuffed up nose. not sure what we would do without it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

i haven't been able to have more than 2 or 3 beers for 4 years now lol. it is what it is. plus i start gettign hung over almost right away these days anyway

it’s called being a cheap date my friend :quagmire:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
We use a bulb sucker and have never had a problem, maybe our kids less snotty :shrug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao. owned!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
as soon as our first was born i had the good sense to bring my drinking to a screaming halt.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

We use a bulb sucker and have never had a problem, maybe our kids less snotty :shrug:

yeah they work fine, but for newborns it can be risky since you can inflame their nostrils which restricts the flow of air, which is bad since they cannot breathe through their mouth yet

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Corla Plankun posted:

y'all if you're getting hosed up often enough that it is statistically likely it could negatively impact your life you should try out wateruary or whatever

its not hard for non-addicts to keep from drinking when there could be negative consequences
for me it was more bad luck than anything. i was lucky i just had a headache on a sunday morning. but yeah, that said:

President Beep posted:

as soon as our first was born i had the good sense to bring my drinking to a screaming halt.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my son just called me a simp and when I asked who I am simping he laughed at me

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

after years of struggling to get the kids to brush their drat teeth, i found out yesterday they haven't brushed their teeth for the whole weekend at least and god knows how much longer.

they are 9 and 12. really at this point shouldn't they start being bothered by their own breath?

anyways, i'm now trying an alternate method: they are punished and not allowed to brush their teeth for an entire week (or two... we'll see) my hope is they'll either brush their teeth in secret to spite me, or they'll just beg to brush when they start getting made fun of by the other kids.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

go play outside Skyler posted:

after years of struggling to get the kids to brush their drat teeth, i found out yesterday they haven't brushed their teeth for the whole weekend at least and god knows how much longer.

they are 9 and 12. really at this point shouldn't they start being bothered by their own breath?

anyways, i'm now trying an alternate method: they are punished and not allowed to brush their teeth for an entire week (or two... we'll see) my hope is they'll either brush their teeth in secret to spite me, or they'll just beg to brush when they start getting made fun of by the other kids.

gross.

make them smoke the whole pack, too?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

if you're into psyop, make them flip a coin and whoever loses gets double punished and the winner gets off scot free this time. the bond of siblings got them into this and it will also get them out of this.

i would tend to avoid having "no teeth brushing" be a punishment even as reverse psychology but i see your frustration and where it has you

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

maybe it would help to remind them of the natural consequences of not brushing? sucks to be breaking teeth and spending $$$ at the dentist in your 30s when you want to try and keep some teeth into old age

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

maybe it would help to remind them of the natural consequences of not brushing? sucks to be breaking teeth and spending $$$ at the dentist in your 30s when you want to try and keep some teeth into old age
:hmmyes: you only have to brush the ones you want to keep

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

yeah depending on the country you're in go find someone over the age of 60 and go "see? This is what happens!"

also ban all sugar within your control to do so

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

i'm sure they will be deeply disturbed by the financial consequences they will face in 20 years, as does any child

i have made that speech literally a million times - they simply do not listen to logic and reason

i don't brush my teeth because i'm thinking of cavities and dentist bills (well not maybe a little) - i brush because i feel loving gross in the mouth if i don't. trying to get them at that level. my partner has huge problems with her teeth because she did the same thing as a child and they just won't care.

the only alternative i can think of is one of those dumb smart brushes but gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i had/have a terrible gag reflex in the morning so brushing was always a challenge, maybe see if theyre going through something like that and see if new toothbrushes or toothpaste would help?