Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the pedant stage of development is always fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jeebus bob posted:

Good idea but both our kids (probably) have ADHD courtesy of yours truly so that quite often just would not work
Oh lawd in heaven

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m staying at my mums when I have my kids and omg my mum talks so much. absolutely non stop, if you’re in the same area as her it just never ends. I actually really struggle to deal with it and feel so drat ungrateful. and she’s so motherly and wants to do everything for me, and it’s sweet but I don’t like being mothered.

and she encourages such bad habits. like right this minute she’s offered the kids some small chocolate fish and they took one each and she’s like “that’s not enough you need a mouthful”, and at other times she steamrolled peoples autonomy when they’ve turned down food until they eventually say yea and then she giggles

everyone says it’s out of a place of love and it probably is but that doesn’t make it acceptable.

this is a challenging time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

grandparents are so tricky. When I hear people say things like "oh, we only see them once a month were very bad" I'm like "once a month??? That's way too much!"

in my case there are two sets on my side (parents and step parents) and one set are pretty chill partly because they have more recent experience with my step siblings kids, but the other set don't have any of that (first actual grandchild) and want to visit way more but it's much more of a hassle because we have to watch out for things like "child is having a freakout and needs to be left alone for a bit but instead is getting chased around" etc.

so it kind of grinds us down a bit but we (well, me seeing as it's my family) are pushing back a bit in the constant attempts to come visit

on my wife's side there are so many grandchildren her mother is like eh whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it’s a constant battle of boundaries and being flex with them because they’re family

and I am relatively weak willed, I hate upsetting people and so probably let boundaries get trampled all over just to keep the peace

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

any suggestions on some good books for a three year old? that won't make me want to gouge my eyes out reading them 90 times.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shifty Pony posted:

any suggestions on some good books for a three year old? that won't make me want to gouge my eyes out reading them 90 times.

Depends on them, but there are some books. Dinosaurs Love Tacos is one, I Need a New Butt is another. Your local library is by far your biggest resource here; kids books are still books and you can skip buying the ones they will be read one or zero times.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

Depends on them, but there are some books. Dinosaurs Love Tacos is one, I Need a New Butt is another. Your local library is by far your biggest resource here; kids books are still books and you can skip buying the ones they will be read one or zero times.

please tell me that's to the tune of I Wanna New Drug by Huey Lewis and the news

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

please tell me that's to the tune of I Wanna New Drug by Huey Lewis and the news

You tune it however you want I guess.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

we are very familiar with the dietary habits of dragons, it is a hit.

was just trying to think of a few books to throw in for his birthday. he's already getting a marble race set, some binoculars, and a magnifying glass.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

do not let grandparents visit imho

instead, visit grandparents, eat their food, make a mess of the place, leave the kids there overnight, etc.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't trust my father to secure all the guns he owns.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

we are very familiar with the dietary habits of dragons, it is a hit.

was just trying to think of a few books to throw in for his birthday. he's already getting a marble race set, some binoculars, and a magnifying glass.

I'm also a fan of The Day the Crayons Came Home, because it lets me show my range as an amateur bedtime voice actor. One of the postcards is by two crayons fused together in the clothes dryer(iirc). Trying to alternate their voices, culminating in the anguished cry of both simultaneously, gives an uncommon opportunity to do eldritch/body horror at bedtime. Let out a little of your own version of The Many, as a treat.

Do not forget us in your pants pocket again, goon :byodood:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 28, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

probably too old for a three year old but my daughter loves the barenstein bear books. mostly because I make all the bears sound like southern hicks but she also likes the stories. not the new ones by the son, though, those are trash.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what, you're not a fan of the Berenstain Bears Defend Our Freedoms on January 6th?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the berenstain bears: your elders are made infallible by god, they are always right even when they are demonstrably wrong

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shifty Pony posted:

try fancy nancy books via the library if you've a girl, or the magic school bus for anyone

i started reading my kid the magic tree house at 3, again good via the library

i also like reading the ada twist series of picture books to her, for whatever reason the art vibes with me. again easy to find at library

sometimes secondhand/consignment shops have kids book like franklin for like $2, usually worth it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

what, you're not a fan of the Berenstain Bears Defend Our Freedoms on January 6th?

my mom got her the Easter one and it's so loving terrible. that one got "lost" along with the "babies learn particle physics!" dreck my mom got her too.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
talk to your kids about general relativity

before someone else does

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my boy has been fighting sleep pretty hard the past half-week, so i decided to take him on a walk 2 hours after dinner, after i fed him. he went down pretty easy, lets hope this works every time!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eeyo posted:

lets hope this works every time!

oh my sweet summer child. get ready for the arms race

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

100%

fresh outdoor air does noticeably help kids fall asleep, but just go sit outside with them and do sidewalk chalk or colour at the table or read

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Eeyo posted:

my boy has been fighting sleep pretty hard the past half-week, so i decided to take him on a walk 2 hours after dinner, after i fed him. he went down pretty easy, lets hope this works every time!

going to try this. evening spring fever has turned into evening summer nights mania, and its not good for anybody.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
our daughter has been, at the end of bedtime routine, point to her crib and tucking herself in and passing out all by herself while we just sit in the chair across the room. its so cute and so nice to not try and get her in the crib without waking her up

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

lol that last part was sarcasm.

he’s young enough that it may actually work for a while, but once he’s old enough it’ll probably stop working.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol fair enough. i dont know if im happy for you that you won't be disappointed, or if i'm sad for you that you didn't get that momentary, fleeting warmth of "maybe my kid'll just be really easy :shrug:"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
hey perplx jr can I have a fry?
perplx jr (21mo): no no no, no no no *to the tune of twinkle little star*

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
22 month old has started shouting "one...two...WHEEE" whenever we turn a corner in my car. makes commuting a lot more exciting.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

RokosCockatrice posted:

going to try this. evening spring fever has turned into evening summer nights mania, and its not good for anybody.

if it really feels maniacal the fix might actually be just starting nighttime routine earlier

if kids (and adults but i guess adults handle their poo poo better) stay up too late they start to run on like adrenaline or something and they get too hyped up to go to sleep & stay asleep

i've had a lot of luck with just moving the bedtime back a half hour every day until it is easy and then sticking to that bedtime going forward

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
also i read like 4 sleep books so that is at least somewhat scientifically based advice and not just me making poo poo up

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

well let me just chip in and say that i had to do the exact opposite for my baby girl, and now finally after 3 weeks of sleeping around 8:30 or 9pm she's finally starting to do her nights. well that's a relative term she's still waking up 4-5 times to breastfeed but at least she's up and ready to party at 2am

i guess what i meant to say is that sleep is a complex subject for babies and ymmv

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah our boy has been sleeping overnight for a while, probably since he was 3 months or so. i’m willing to deal with lots of bullshit in the daytime as long as he keeps it up, my wife and i both get a solid 8 hours of sleep.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Eeyo posted:

, my wife and i both get a solid 8 hours of sleep.

the last time i was able to get that was ... 8 months ago, 2 days before baby skylar was born

she's amazing but goddamn what i would do for an uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep. pretty sure that if she ever does start sleeping for that long i won't be able to sleep because i'll think she stopped breathing or something

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old by Suzy Giordano is a book I will continue to recommend until all of you are getting a proper 8h/night sleep

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old by Suzy Giordano is a book I will continue to recommend until all of you are getting a proper 8h/night sleep

Laughs in pet ownership

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what kind of pet is waking you up???

I have three kids under 5 and a 110lb Labrador and I sleep like a king

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what kind of pet is waking you up???

I have three kids under 5 and a 110lb Labrador and I sleep like a king

I have a cat.

Hey.

Hey.

Hey.

The feeder goes off when it's light out and it's not light out, but it's gonna be soon.

Hey.

Hey.

Hey.

I'm hungry.

I'm going to stick my paw in your armpit. You won't get up but you will be awakened.

Hey.

Hey.

I'm hungry.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when poodle jones wants to get up, he will go nose to nose with me, sometimes getting into bed. it wakes me up. after that he'll leave me alone though and i can go back to sleep if i want

on the other hand, he barks at everyone who comes to the door. this is mostly fine. but if we take him to a hotel, he barks at everyone who walks by the door. this is not fine. id like to take him camping but that seems like a terrible idea.

anyway consider getting a poodlemutt.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

foodle is also very vocal and if I forget to close the blinds at night she will bark at the neighbor going for their morning run at 4:30 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol good girl foodle! when PJ wakes up early he likes to stare out the back sliding door (he'll go under the curtain). he has been known to wake us up around 5am when he sees a cat

freakin poodles!!