Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol yeah ours had figured out that the high chair generated food and spent a large amount of time licking the floor around it

a few weeks ago he died in his sleep and my 4 year old went around telling everyone she saw about it. we'd see someone across the street and they'd get barraged with an unprompted shouted introduction and the news of the day, a tiny voice just hollering MY DOG GOT DEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

mini two hander was doing super well with the sleeping after training but then she got sick (another ear infection) and she's hosed it all up. like last night was "no sleep thanks but I'm so tired I'm gonna scream until you put me in your bed" and that sucked.

doesn't help that nursery is messing with her schedule a bit.

oh yeah sleep training works until illness/teething/mental development breaks it again. it's ongoing until it really sticks

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I fell down the stairs holding my kid. I was wearing socks which I never do (it’s cold and this is my first winter in 10 years) and I slipped and slid down with her leg under me and broke both bones in one of her ankles. gonna be honest I’m very not ok. mom is super supportive and so long as baby isn’t walking she’s fine but goddamn it’s too soon for this. I wasn’t even allowed in the urgent care with them because of loving Covid so I’m just sitting in the car crying instead

gently caress!

I know poo poo happens and it was a total accident but I just can’t stop the spiraling thoughts like I’m a bad dad and it’s my fault.

parents be careful this sucks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i was carrying my 2 year old boy on my shoulders and walked through a low door but i forgot to stoop down and, well, long story short is that he's a teenager now and still brings it up when we argue.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I fell down the stairs holding my kid. I was wearing socks which I never do (it’s cold and this is my first winter in 10 years) and I slipped and slid down with her leg under me and broke both bones in one of her ankles. gonna be honest I’m very not ok. mom is super supportive and so long as baby isn’t walking she’s fine but goddamn it’s too soon for this. I wasn’t even allowed in the urgent care with them because of loving Covid so I’m just sitting in the car crying instead

gently caress!

I know poo poo happens and it was a total accident but I just can’t stop the spiraling thoughts like I’m a bad dad and it’s my fault.

its ok, mistakes happen, she'll be fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

its ok, mistakes happen, she'll be fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also I’m sorry but you will dwell on it for years

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was at the playground with my son and was encouraging him to climb up a piece of equipment that he was nervous about

he slipped and fell face first in the sand and needed 8 stitches on his lower lip

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

gently caress!

iirc your kid is a bit over 1.5 years old. it could have been a lot worse if it happened earlier on. otoh they're still young enough where they will probably heal fine

all you can do is try to not do any of the things you think contributed to it again. but it sounds like the things you did leading up to it were reasonable at the time. it's just an accident and it's ok to get stressed out about it before you move forward. natural stuff

one of my kids's friends had a broken leg and a broken collarbone (2 separate accidents) by the time she was 3. they made it through and you will too friendo

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
thanks for the support everyone. my partner talked me down too. baby asleep just fine. she’s pretty pissed about the splint though and keeps trying to take it off.

edit: also I realized it wasn’t guilt, I was processing the fear. it was real Fuckin scary but now that we are through it and I was able to deal with the fear and panic that was lingering im much better. I think I might use this as an excuse to skip work if my boss is reading this gently caress off

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 18, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
last year during bath time for the older one, her little sister kept trying to climb up into the tub and the sink stepstool and generally trying to get into trouble so she had to be strapped into this kitchen booster seat thing that either mounted on a normal chair or just put on the floor

well her mother tried to scoot her around in it and instead managed to flip it backwards, hard. hard enough to smack her head against the tile and get a concussion. like, stopped crying went pale and threw up absolutely a concussion

so 7:30 at night they had to rush to the ER during a pandemic for an emergency CAT scan to make sure there wasn't a bleed (concussed adults need to do this too btw, it can be fatal if not caught)

fortunately everything was fine, aside from a week of completely disrupted sleep, but yeah she was under a year old at the time and hoverwife still feels awful about it. at least they didn't say anything about child abuse or whatever, but she was so upset that she's told me that she tries not to even think about it and hates talking about it and still worries about the elevated cancer risk from the radiation at such a young age (she has a lot of cancer on both sides of her family). i think we're gonna keep that one a secret from the child, don't need that getting thrown back in her face by a surly teen lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I was pushing the light pram/stroller thing and the tiny lovely wheels on it caught the lip of the pavement and instead of rolling up an over they jammed and catapulted the whole thing forwards, coming incredibly close to having me go over the top and face plant myself and babby into the road, with her being basically crushed by my weight. that was bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Our small dog is a chihuahua/terrier mutt, he's the one I'm most worry about.
You have to teach your pets kids are family, not competition. Most pets will instinctively understand pregnancy, and it's really productive to introduce them in a positive, rewarding environment. There's plenty of good advice around this online from aspca etc.

Our dog who had never barked from the day we got her from the rescue *LOST HER poo poo* the first time somebody rang the doorbell after baby came home, surprised the gently caress out of us. Then she would *not* let the nurse between her and baby until repeatedly reassured that it was OK. She's the biggest wuss on the planet but by god the little ones will be kept safe.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Your very reaction should reassure you as to what kind of parent you are (the OKest dad, trying his best like everyone else). poo poo just happens.

rotor posted:

i was carrying my 2 year old boy on my shoulders and walked through a low door but i forgot to stoop down and, well, long story short is that he's a teenager now and still brings it up when we argue.
lmao. When our first kid was ~9MO or so I crashed my bike going over a huge pothole hidden in the shade. Broke my wrist. Little one didn't even wake up.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 18, 2021

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

evil_bunnY posted:

You have to teach your pets kids are family, not competition. Most pets will instinctively understand pregnancy, and it's really productive to introduce them in a positive, rewarding environment. There's plenty of good advice around this online from aspca etc.

Word, thanks! I found their article and it had a lot of stuff I hadn't really considered. (Also we suspected the chihuahua understood the pregnancy. He did a lot of pouting for the first few months after we found out.)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

shoeberto posted:

Word, thanks! I found their article and it had a lot of stuff I hadn't really considered. (Also we suspected the chihuahua understood the pregnancy. He did a lot of pouting for the first few months after we found out.)

counterpoint: chihuahuas are insane and we had to give our chihuahua-dachshund away when it snapped at my daughter, and so did some friends of ours in dallas when theirs got old and started going berserk at everyone all the time. Hopefully the terrier genes smoothed yours out a little but if it does anything hosed up don't sleep on it!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Corla Plankun posted:

counterpoint: chihuahuas are insane and we had to give our chihuahua-dachshund away when it snapped at my daughter, and so did some friends of ours in dallas when theirs got old and started going berserk at everyone all the time. Hopefully the terrier genes smoothed yours out a little but if it does anything hosed up don't sleep on it!

we had to give up our two elderly Yorkies when we found out about the pregnancy because they hated kids. like snarled and got all crazy around kids in public. they went back to my ex so I feel way less guilty about it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

counterpoint: chihuahuas are insane
This is also true. Most chihuahuas are just assholes.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

He likes *kids*, I can say with confidence. He lets them pet him, and he usually gets excited and wants to lick their faces. We've never had an issue with him snapping, though he'll bare teeth if like a cat seems to be going for his food. But I know babies are a whole other ball game.

I'm trying not to be naive about the realities of it, but it would break our hearts to have to give him up, so I'm hoping for the best (and trying to be proactive as much as I can).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

in my experience terriers are really loving smart dogs and chihuahuas are mostly violent when they're afraid and confused so hopefully yours is smart enough to keep it together

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hand, foot and mouth is miserable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

little jones had a really rough day today. idk if it was being excited or being kinda under the weather or the move or (more likely) all of the above but it's been very difficult today

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How little is little jones? When ours were little changes in routine were hell.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Achmed Jones posted:

little jones had a really rough day today. idk if it was being excited or being kinda under the weather or the move or (more likely) all of the above but it's been very difficult today

I was reading something recently that tried to emphasize that, as a culture, we minimize just how difficult moving actually is. Humans (and our pets) are not really designed for that much of a sudden shock change in our lives. I could imagine it's worse for a small human who's still working on the whole "rational thought" thing.

Best wishes, at any rate. Hopefully they get to feeling better and you guys can get a routine going soon.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

We're at 34 weeks today, which apparently is out of the woods for major complications of premature labor. :hellyeah:

We really need to get our rear end moving on prep though. We have everything I think, but the nursery renovations have taken forever, so nothing is set up yet. But it all feels like poo poo could get real at any moment.

Also at newgig I found out that all my plans for paternity leave are out the window because of the job change. So that poo poo sucks. We're trying to get an au pair arranged for the spring, but there's definitely going to be a gap between the end of my wife's leave and the au pair's arrival. I'm going to talk with HR next week but there's a good chance I'm going to be attempting childcare while wfh to cover the gap. On the one hand I know it's doable, for some definition of "doable", but on the other hand :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

shoeberto posted:

We're at 34 weeks today, which apparently is out of the woods for major complications of premature labor. :hellyeah:

We really need to get our rear end moving on prep though. We have everything I think, but the nursery renovations have taken forever, so nothing is set up yet. But it all feels like poo poo could get real at any moment.

Also at newgig I found out that all my plans for paternity leave are out the window because of the job change. So that poo poo sucks. We're trying to get an au pair arranged for the spring, but there's definitely going to be a gap between the end of my wife's leave and the au pair's arrival. I'm going to talk with HR next week but there's a good chance I'm going to be attempting childcare while wfh to cover the gap. On the one hand I know it's doable, for some definition of "doable", but on the other hand :(

:hfive:

Hell yeah birth pal, welcome to the home stretch. We’re just over 36 weeks, fully in “could go into labor now” territory, feeling similarly unprepared. If your kid can be fed and kept warm, it’s good enough.

I’m in a similar boat with leave — stayed at a job I hate since late summer to keep FMLA eligibility. Hopefully your new job will be flexible on your schedule after a few more months. I’ll be trying to do the same, juggling WFH and baby care part time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

+1 for unhappy babby. Had her vaccinations and has had a temperature for the last 48 hours and won't sleep

this poo poo sucks

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you are due and want to give things a push you can try and give the mother a good orgasm - something something triggers 'this is a safe place' hormones and things should start within 12 hours.. i at least 3 confirmed data points for this

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
week one down of baby in full leg cast. she gets sad sometimes she isn’t mobile like before but only 3 weeks to go. dr says she healing nicely and she figured out how to scoot again so she’s semi mobile

we set up lots of different stations around the house for her to play with different things so she not just sitting in one spot. it’s super tough on us as parents but it’s gonna be over soon!

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
6-year olds favorite artist on Spotify just released a song called “no nut november” and I’m running out of excuses to dodge some very uncomfortable questions.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

How little is little jones? When ours were little changes in routine were hell.

5, almost 6

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

lament.cfg posted:

:hfive:

Hell yeah birth pal, welcome to the home stretch. We’re just over 36 weeks, fully in “could go into labor now” territory, feeling similarly unprepared. If your kid can be fed and kept warm, it’s good enough.

I’m in a similar boat with leave — stayed at a job I hate since late summer to keep FMLA eligibility. Hopefully your new job will be flexible on your schedule after a few more months. I’ll be trying to do the same, juggling WFH and baby care part time.

Yeah, that's my hope. They're actually good about giving *some* time (4 weeks paid for a new hire) but I was banking on the full term of NY family leave, which is 12. Apparently changing jobs means I'm not eligible until I'm there 6 months. The nice thing though is that I'm working with a lot of parents so I feel like my team will get it.

Also, congrats and good luck! I'm trying to remind myself that babies don't need much. But also I'm trying to balance that with the knowledge that I'm gonna be a zombie for a while so I doubt much is gonna get done for a while.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yeah, it sucks that you don't get leave but WFH with a literal infant is not that bad. They sleep a LOT, the interruptions are pretty regular/predictable, and the most important thing you can do is let your spouse sleep and recover. They're gonna be physically hosed for a while and hormonally hosed for a while longer so take care of as much as you can.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

week one down of baby in full leg cast. she gets sad sometimes she isn’t mobile like before but only 3 weeks to go. dr says she healing nicely and she figured out how to scoot again so she’s semi mobile

we set up lots of different stations around the house for her to play with different things so she not just sitting in one spot. it’s super tough on us as parents but it’s gonna be over soon!

Hell yeah baby

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
as expected, the magical blood test gender determination simply failed, no intersexed fetus shenanigans are happening here

20 week ultrasound was immediately obvious as a boy - he had his ding dong displayed right up against the uterine wall and perpendicular to the instrument, right when they turned it on lol

hopefully little NameTBD won't be bullied too badly by his two older sisters

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
For our first child we wanted to be surprised, but I saw a ding dong on the ultrasound when they were measuring the femur or whatever. We didn’t ask but once he was here I knew I saw correctly. Second time I saw the same and the midwife confirmed but I almost had to point it out. My wife couldn’t see it at all, I blame bideo bames giving me some kind of super 2D->3D sight.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I mean that a supernatural peener spotting ability

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

zokie posted:

For our first child we wanted to be surprised, but I saw a ding dong on the ultrasound when they were measuring the femur or whatever. We didn’t ask but once he was here I knew I saw correctly. Second time I saw the same and the midwife confirmed but I almost had to point it out. My wife couldn’t see it at all, I blame bideo bames giving me some kind of super 2D->3D sight.

when our second was getting her first ultrasound the tech was measuring some bone and she flipped around and I was like “omg it’s a girl!!” and then the tech was like woah you’re right are you a tech too??

my guess is playing games with heat vision or night vision because I have no idea how I could make it out

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I could kinda see that? Perceiving things in the ultrasound seems like it's all in the motion. I've only been allowed to one because of covid but seeing it in live action gives so much more context than the printouts. There might be something to having games train your object recognition when you're used to hunting secret doors or whatever.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the matrix with my 12yo on sat night. he fuckin loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
vidja games probably helped but a lot of visual thinking about math stuff and basically doing the inverse problem (“this sonogram is showing me a slice, but what’s the orientation of the slice and what is it passing through?”) and thinking about anatomy were mostly on my mind when I did reasonably good at interpreting live sonograms of our babbos.

rotate. a. cube.