Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

devmd01 posted:

5yo, staying home because sick: “I’m bored.”

Me: “that’s okay, go try and find some thing to do in the basement”

5yo: “you’re supposed to say ‘hi bored, I’m dad.’”

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

devmd01 posted:

:owned:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

might as well let the kid run the grill from here on out, honestly

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

lmao

let him change brake pads and cut the grass too

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

devmd01 posted:

:rip:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I have taught my kids a lot about how to be silly

Probably going to have to teach them more about how to be serious, when needed

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

took toddler to a water park type thing, getting changed she looked at me and just went "yuck", not sure I can disagree tbh.

then her favourite part was..... The showers before you got in lol. just charging around waving her arms shouting "shower! shower!"

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

baby is due in 3 weeks. i'm cooking 4kg of curry chicken, next weekend 5kg of bolognese. this is following the advice of some people in the thread.

i can't believe there's only 3 week-ends to go before she sticks her nose out! i'm excited as ever!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

three weeks! good luck, it’s about to get real. don’t sweat it if your wife/partner calls your names during the birth

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

go play outside Skyler posted:

baby is due in 3 weeks. i'm cooking 4kg of curry chicken, next weekend 5kg of bolognese. this is following the advice of some people in the thread.

i hadn’t read that advice but yum. sounds like a good fuckin plan

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
we had the freezer loaded up with various casseroles and it owned. not sure if it’s been discussed ITT but if they offer to keep baby in the little nursery thing for the night, hop on that and get some sleep if possible. being a new parent is hard enough, no need to be sleep deprived right off the bat if you can avoid it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I found my old Thomas the tank engine trains and rails and gave them to the kids and they’re obsessed

do they still make these? I could only find the plastic ones instead of the wooden ones, and my wife said the last time she saw them was at something called Noodle Kidoodle when she was a kid

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh I found them at Walmart of all places

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

brio still makes wooden train sets and a couple of the independent toy stores carry them here

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

melissa and doug sell wooden trains that are compatible with all the brio stuff

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

HamAdams posted:

if they offer to keep baby in the little nursery thing for the night, hop on that and get some sleep if possible. being a new parent is hard enough, no need to be sleep deprived right off the bat if you can avoid it

i would not be able to do this, i'd be worried they'd lose it

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I’m not sure I would do it different knowing what I know, but our eldest did not sleep very well her first night. my go-to technique for calming a baby was and is “hold them and sway, walk, or dance in place.” it worked to get her to go to sleep, but she would wake up 8-20 minutes later, again and again.

It’s a hell of a memory and documented by fitness tracker data, but having our daughter go be watched by nurses probably would have been fine + the extra sleep would not have hurt.

kind of like the kid showed up and was like, “yo, you work for me now”

our youngest, on the other hand, slept so peacefully his first night that I was, in contrast to my first experience, afraid something was wrong lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I am very concerned that our newest due in December is going to give me the Normal Tiny Baby experience instead of the two “I sleep through the night by 8 weeks old” experiences I’ve had, and now that I’m four years older it will be much more of a challenge than it would have been back then :ohdear:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
idk if this kid is sick or teething again but boy howdy is she waking up like every hour and a half about it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I am very concerned that our newest due in December is going to give me the Normal Tiny Baby experience instead of the two “I sleep through the night by 8 weeks old” experiences I’ve had, and now that I’m four years older it will be much more of a challenge than it would have been back then :ohdear:
my sister was lucky enough to have a super easy baby for #1 but #2 was completely different, almost as tough as our #1 (and likely only). just be prepared for anything.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my 3yo likes to join in group conversations now. he waits for a gap then says 'i'm talking about snakes' and drops a Snake Fact

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

my 3yo likes to join in group conversations now. he waits for a gap then says 'i'm talking about snakes' and drops a Snake Fact

got any cool snake facts for us

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

the boa constrictor is the biggest snake. apparently it's too big to fit in the world

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We don't understand how this happened but our 7yo has become much cooler and more popular than either of us ever were.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

got a new baby yesterday, now we have two boys :)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

We're due in December too! I've signed up for the suck but it's our first so I'm sure I've underestimated just how tired we'll be

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

congrats! hoping the best for you all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fisting by many posted:

contrats person I don't know. fantastic news

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my eldest has passed a watershed moment, he now has an iphone better and newer than mine

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

fisting by many posted:

boys rule girls drool

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

our kid is slated to be a boy. i feel bad for feeling slight disappointment, like i wanted a girl kind of. like god, another one of me walking around wth is this?

anyway, we had an ultrasound checkup recently and the tech printed out a picture with "it's a boy!" on it and a cursor pointing at the penis. i don't really need a picture of my boy's penis pointed out on the ultrasound but what can you do. most of the other pictures are cute, but seeing all the bones, the brain, and everything else was very weird.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
probably because seeing someone’s bones and brains is weird

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

boys rule girls drool

i think you will find that they both drool

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i hate to break it to you but all babies drool

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Eeyo posted:

our kid is slated to be a boy. i feel bad for feeling slight disappointment, like i wanted a girl kind of. like god, another one of me walking around wth is this?

anyway, we had an ultrasound checkup recently and the tech printed out a picture with "it's a boy!" on it and a cursor pointing at the penis. i don't really need a picture of my boy's penis pointed out on the ultrasound but what can you do. most of the other pictures are cute, but seeing all the bones, the brain, and everything else was very weird.

for a good time remind your wife that she has three sets of teeth in her while pregnant

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Eeyo posted:

the best bit is when you can see all teeth in their tiny head. turns out babies' heads are like 80% teeth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 11yo has stormed off from his mothers house to his nanas and his mother (my ex wife) texted me and said he’s being a prick

how come he’s never a prick when he’s with me huh?

of course it’s never truly this simple but I really think she’s hitting a brick wall with her approach to him and she’s not backing down and it’s just not a productive nor healthy approach. she needs to take him where he’s at and work with him and support him, not stand steadfast and never concede and get him to the point he’s messaging me saying he hates it there and doesn’t want to go back

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

for a good time remind your wife that she has three sets of teeth in her while pregnant

laughed hard at this, then got stuck trying to analyze why it is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

laughed hard at this, then got stuck trying to analyze why it is funny

that’s why it’s perfect