Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonna give you another happy story to go with the good news above

we've been taking my daughter swimming since she was pretty tiny (she's just under 2 now), first place was really good, then we moved house and the second place had good facilities but the teacher wasn't really challenging the kids so she was learning nothing. So we switched to a different place that is literally in the old person therapy pool in a retirement village

first three times, total disaster. clamped onto whoever took her. Cried when taken off and made to do anything, only really cheering up when they got the toys out at the end. then she got sick with a skin infection and we couldn't take her for two weeks.

today, first thing, she was going "swimming! Yeah!" Splash!" and when we got there holy poo poo. No grabbing onto me, getting put under and coming back up, jumping in, turning round in the water, starting to swim on a float, everything. And hi fiving me all the way (best thing we taught her). Honestly amazing.

also getting changed she pointed at me when I took my shorts off and went "oh gosh.....yucky" lol

then I got a migraine, but at least I got to do that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

go play outside Skyler posted:

thanks for all the support everyone

didn't want to jinx it but now i can say that she's getting much better since yesterday. they are slowly reducing her oxygen and letting her eat directly from the breasts again. if everything goes well tomorrow or monday we are out

of course the doctors have been reassuring the whole time and even if i know RSV has basically a mortality rate of 0 in developed countries, there's always that thought floating around...

i can't believe how much i miss having my infant daughter sleeping on my chest. man that's the best feeling ever

:toot:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also getting changed she pointed at me when I took my shorts off and went "oh gosh.....yucky" lol

username/post combo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

kiddo has developed an irrational fear of talking toys. she likes books that talk/make noise, but anything else? instant meltdown

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

kiddo has developed an irrational fear of talking toys. she likes books that talk/make noise, but anything else? instant meltdown

i mean, they are pretty creepy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i mean, they are pretty creepy

fair

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

she pointed at me when I took my shorts off and went "oh gosh.....yucky"

goons.txt

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

jfc lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

:thurman:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
something i am not really sure how to deal with is my 11yo boredom

he’ll just lie on his bed crying that he’s bored. there’s only so many ideas you can suggest

the hardest part is trying to encourage him to see if his friends are doing something. it’s challenging how they seem to want to put so little effort into making anything happen. I have a suspicion that modern pc games or whatever set such a high bar for easy entertainment that anything else just seems too difficult. not that I want to blame games but don’t think it helps

idk

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

something i am not really sure how to deal with is my 11yo boredom

he’ll just lie on his bed crying that he’s bored. there’s only so many ideas you can suggest

the hardest part is trying to encourage him to see if his friends are doing something. it’s challenging how they seem to want to put so little effort into making anything happen. I have a suspicion that modern pc games or whatever set such a high bar for easy entertainment that anything else just seems too difficult. not that I want to blame games but don’t think it helps

idk

as much as we like to have some time to ourselves doing jack poo poo, unfortunately the only solution i've found which works 100% of the time is going on a family activity

go for a walk, go to the beach, go to a museum, go do some sports, etc

i also sometimes just "kick my boy's rear end out of the house" and force him to go outside and not come back before a certain amount of time. sure they'll complain and try and come home before the set time, but you have to force them a little. they're kids, they'll figure something out.

e: as a stepfather to these 2 boys i guess i have the advantage of not being so overly protective i guess

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 23, 2022

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
being bored is an important life skill really. thoguh it is painful

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

bobbilljim posted:

agreed from my personal experience of being a bored kid

with my kids, it’s not often a problem, but:

I usually treat “kid complaining about being bored” as my kid choosing to not be bored by doing something that they don’t really like and I don’t really like. I’ll usually say one thing and then withdraw from the argument, leaving them back in a bored state. this way they don’t get stuck doing something miserable, they go back to being bored, and in a few minutes they find and start doing something more interesting to them

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

we are now finally home with baby anne

i think we will spend the next 3 days in bed. gently caress that was exhausting

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:toot:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

:toot: congrats op, glad things are ok

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:toot::toot::toot:

bobbilljim posted:

Expressing your boredom is an invitation for labor assignments in our house; and both kids (5 and 8) will happily partake in activity "upgrades" but know full well how to entertain themselves if there's downtime.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my ~6mo has been sleeping badly for about... 3 months now. I think today is the day I break I am so tired :) ideally I could just move her to some other room than ours but the only one available is my sons and it's not fair to him to put a baby who likes to wake up in the night for hour stretches in his room. he has been asking if they can share rooms for a while now though, he's a good big brother 💕

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

well we made it though today and now i'm having a wine "the parents remedy"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

got on board the rsv train last weekend, nothing as bad as hospital but a 4 day high temperature which meant no nursery and oh my god anyone that did this through lockdown has my undying respect.

3 days of juggling work and childcare and that was enough.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
My kid was also out of school with what seemed like RSV this week. He's 10 so it didn't hit him hard at all (100-101 fever, sore throat, massive amounts of congestion and mucus production, rough time sleeping), but the fever lasted 4-5 days. The first time he's slept in past 6am in ages without staying up until 2am reading/illicitly using his school laptop/wandering the house to steal dessert out of the freezer.

He was at his mom's house, but her fridge broke and she "felt bad about trucking him around to get takeout" so she sent him back here for me. I forgot how distracting having another body in the house (that gets up to no good when bored) is while trying to work.

I'm feeling a little down so I think I caught it. No fever... just a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes and sinus pressure...

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i'd never heard of rsv until that poor yospos baby was hospitalized but my 5yo caught it like a week after they brought it up, i guess hsv is having a moment this year

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
survived the process of waiting for a walk-in appointment to get my 4-y/o seen at the urgent care. physician's assistant clearly agreed that the little infected skin thing needed both types of antibiotics + they're going to culture it and upgrade our antibiotics if its MRSA.

very cool, very easy, very chill. *sigh*

actually good part: read a whole Dog Man book to the kiddo while we waited

e: if it's monkeypox that would be real bad, but I'm hopeful. He had a skin infection starting 2 years ago that caused him to occasionally develop little pustules like this and they take forever to go away, fingers crossed it's just that.

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 28, 2022

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
doing legos with my kiddos feels great. we each have fun and I really like seeing them use and develop spatial reasoning / spatial awareness. I definitely credit legos for a lot of my most absorbed childhood play and experiences that got my brain ready for learning to think in some challenging ways

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
so many of the kids toys are like that - gave them all of my childhood legos, as well as magnetiles, little # shaped plastic things that slot together, marble runs, cardboard bricks, even these little plastic discs that slot together. We deliberately pick and promote toys that encourage creative, constructive play, not just “here is a #brand toy, recreate the show!”

Then again a creative five year old can figure out how to make the Tracey spider robot from Spider-Man and Amazing super friends, so they will always find a way.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
kiddo has become obsessed with rhyming but she does this just making up rhyming sounds even if they’re not words. she’ll do this in the middle of random sentence with no transition. every time I think I’ve finally stroked out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up kids after work and thought i’d take them to mcdonald for a treat but had to get takeaway dessert and end result is that they both spilled their sundaes in the car, eldest got choc sauce all over his woollen school jersey lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

born on a buy you posted:

kiddo has become obsessed with rhyming but she does this just making up rhyming sounds even if they’re not words. she’ll do this in the middle of random sentence with no transition. every time I think I’ve finally stroked out

think you’ve droked lout stroked out?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
working from the couch this afternoon, showing my son the matrix for the first time. haven’t seen it in like 15 years. forgot how god laurence fishburn is in this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

first matrix is good, don't tell him about the sequels

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol, I’ve already warned him.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

working from the couch this afternoon, showing my son the matrix for the first time. haven’t seen it in like 15 years. forgot how god laurence fishburn is in this.

how old is your child? just curious

I like to say “morpheus” in a exaggerated mr anderson voice sometimes

MORRFFFFEEEUS :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I started to watch the sequel with my kid
the cave orgy scene was awkward lmao but sitting thru awkward sec scenes with your parents is a cornerstone of growing up

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
what women want with fundie parents was a particularly uncomfortable experience as a teenager

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

how old is your child? just curious

I like to say “morpheus” in a exaggerated mr anderson voice sometimes

MORRFFFFEEEUS :smugmrgw:

he’s nine. figured he was ready

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i like to say “missster andersonnnn” in an agent smith voice.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i like to say “missster andersonnnn” in an agent smith voice.

oh yeah I meant in the agent smith voice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

devmd01 posted:

what women want with fundie parents was a particularly uncomfortable experience as a teenager

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

oh yeah I meant in the agent smith voice

lol, I thought you meant in a keaneua reeves voice and it made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
keanu saying morpheus but in a bill n teds voice