Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
check this poo poo out: a friend of mine back in the oughts used to take mini-thins like crazy because he was always burning the candle at both ends.

anyway he liked to make up funny names for things so he called them “snith” (“thins” backwards) and i came up with a character named Agent Snith that was like agent smith from the matrix only a disheveled, psychotic tweaker too.

hope this gives you all a little chuckle. see ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

16 month old son has caught the screaming virus

apparently a couple of days ago one kid at daycare was screaming and everyone copied him. now he screams all the time at home. i hope he tires of it soon. please.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol :rip:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

baby girl was fine until 4 days ago now she's got colics or something because she cries for 4 hours non-stop in the evening.

only thing that works to calm her down is to carry her and move her up and down like in some kind of amusement ride. this is very exhausting

any other ideas?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

have you tried a rocker like the mamaroo and a sock of rice warmed in the microwave so she feels like she’s being held and rocked?

(use this sparingly or else it’s a new addiction)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

2 year old is now asking to go to bed, this is like the parenting jackpot

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
so choice!

my daughter has done that a few times and every time it is amazing. for the first time ever a few days ago SHE told ME it was time for her to take a bath (which is usually a battle) and I was shocked but delighted

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

go play outside Skyler posted:

baby girl was fine until 4 days ago now she's got colics or something because she cries for 4 hours non-stop in the evening.

only thing that works to calm her down is to carry her and move her up and down like in some kind of amusement ride. this is very exhausting

any other ideas?

we got one of those baby carrier harness things to put ours in and did laps around the kitchen island

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

any other ideas?

this was a big issue with our daughter and the one bizarre thing that seemed to work was feeding her basically sitting up. if she was leaning at all while eating she’d be gassy and upset for hours

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

any other ideas?

oh jeez. that’s awful. our oldest went through a phase when he was a few months old where he’d be real cranky for an hour around 6:00 pm though but never anything approaching what I’d call colic.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

so choice!

my daughter has done that a few times and every time it is amazing. for the first time ever a few days ago SHE told ME it was time for her to take a bath (which is usually a battle) and I was shocked but delighted

The parent was ASTONISHED at her doctrine.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

any other ideas?

oof. by “only thing” I assume you mean you tried lower-intensity movement and it didn’t work? “Hold baby and practice ballroom dance steps” was my go-to, long long ago

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

any other ideas?

if you;re anything like me you'll get very good at walking back and forth through the house. i suggest some nice cushioned slippers if u have wood floors.

good trick to try getting them to sleep is do your movement technique but gradually reduce the speed until your at p much 0 then sit down somewhere extremely smoothly with some minor jiggling if needed.
also things always change, its gotta be tiring for the baby to cry for 4 hours as well, they will eventually do somethign else. hang in there

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my wife and i failed so spectacularly at sleep training both kids that I’m surprised it didn’t make the news.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

President Beep posted:

my wife and i failed so spectacularly at sleep training both kids that I’m surprised it didn’t make the news.

"Local man fails again" not enough for you???

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, but they stopped reporting on that years ago

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

we had our baby shower and it went pretty well. we got some gifts delivered from some chud relatives, but they decided to not go because we told them about my trans niece the day before the shower. i guess it was just too woke for them lmao.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eeyo posted:

we had our baby shower and it went pretty well. we got some gifts delivered from some chud relatives, but they decided to not go because we told them about my trans niece the day before the shower. i guess it was just too woke for them lmao.
gently caress'em.

re:baby screaming, we also went through with periods of "I want to be held and rocked and I will accept no substitutes". Also extremely fancy bottle nipples. Feeding sitting upright helped too.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
going to do 2 Lego advent calendars (okay, 1 City Lego advent calendar and 1 off-brand bricks mini vehicle advent calendar) with my kids this December. My eldest asked how are we going to have enough time to build them before school in the morning… it would be great if it provided some motivation for the kids to wake up earlier in the cold and dark.

my inner child + my credit card + my kids growing ability to build legos = a delicate balancing act.

I also need to talk with my eldest about how she does and doesn’t want to share her sets

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

doing the star wars lego advent with mine

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
rainy day so we are doing more Lego minifig adventure aka super simple D&D. helping my daughter through DMing me and her brothers.

rolling for initiative to try and board the pirate ship in raging seas after a cannonball fusillade.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

doing the star wars lego advent with mine

i just ordered one of these

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the two times we got lego advent calendars my kid just opened every door on day 1

might just get her a christmas lego set this year instead

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

why don't you just not let them do that?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

huh I'd never even considered that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You could put it up on the wall where she can't reach it for instance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ah yes humans, known for their lack of problem solving ability

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing that makes me laugh about my kids is how scared they are. well, either that or it just feels that way because of my lack of risk aversion

like, when I was a kid we’d pour methylated spirits on the grass and set it on fire

my kids are too scared of even using a cigarette lighter

it makes me feel much more ok about leaving them at home, they won’t go near the element lmao

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i was thinking this the other day not in teh context of burning things but used to be kids were just left to roam around teh streets sort of thing. we live in more cautious times now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it is objectively more dangerous for kids to be out roaming the streets these days than it used to be, but it's entirely because the average car today weighs twice what it did in 1980 and has half the visibility, and there are twice as many of them, and people drive a lot faster and more angrily too.

San Francisco closed a bunch of streets to through traffic during the pandemic, and it's surprising how much quieter and more pleasant the place instantly became. A bunch of them are planned to be kept that way now.

gently caress cars

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I think it is objectively more dangerous for kids to be out roaming the streets these days than it used to be, but it's entirely because the average car today weighs twice what it did in 1980 and has half the visibility, and there are twice as many of them, and people drive a lot faster and more angrily too.

San Francisco closed a bunch of streets to through traffic during the pandemic, and it's surprising how much quieter and more pleasant the place instantly became. A bunch of them are planned to be kept that way now.

gently caress cars

they've done a load of this in the UK and of course the usual old fuckers have got up in as about it and started all sorts of write in campaigns etc. mostly they seem to be failing though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah everyone wants to blame child molesters or whatever for why kids dont play outside any more but the actual reason is that they will be run over by cars if they have the temerity to play in the street like i used to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also tarmac doesn’t compare to grand theft auto

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

hung out with some friends on the weekend who have slightly older kids than me, I think ranging from about 6-11. was interesting to see tablets/consoles were just another activity they rotated through between going for a swim, playing dress up, tag etc. personally I was hyper addicted to the computer and would have played it all day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

idk. before video games it was tv, before that it was records, before that it was books. there's always some gizmo that is keeping the kids from playing outside but i don't think that's it.

it's car danger + american city design that means if you grow up in a suburb the nearest thing to do is wal-mart and it's five miles away. when i was a kid i ranged all over the place on my bike, and within like a 20 minute ride there was the lake, the ice cream place, several parks, the arcade, a couple of pizza spots, the railroad tracks, the woods, the mall, empty parking lots to race rc cars, the local computer store...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe

i’ll blame tiktok

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i think maybe we’re a little more risk averse wrt child rearing than our lead poisoned forebearers too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

cowboy beepboop posted:

personally I was hyper addicted to the computer and would have played it all day

Same!!! if i didn't have to share the one PC with my brother and parents I never would have logged off of that fucken thing when i lived at home

i've read a lot about adhd lately as we're working to get accommodations & strategies for my kid and apparently video games (and computers more broadly) give an adhd brain a clear workspace and clear goals, which are the main things it needs to succeed. so games were one of my only sources of feeling a sense of accomplishment when i was a kid. which explains why one time when i lost a level because i died in the desert to some bullshit random giant (when i was already on the way to my stupid corpse where i died for some other bullshit reason) i yelled so loud that my throat hurt for four days